YesNoOk

Miu Kurosaki WIP By LunaTuna (Read 20092 times)

Started by LunaTuna, May 22, 2017, 11:16:45 am
Share this topic:
Miu Kurosaki WIP By LunaTuna
#1  May 22, 2017, 11:16:45 am
  • Hi, I'm a gay Mugen Creator (✿◠‿◠) !
    • Australia
I just had a thought and I decided to make Miu from KOF EX2 :D. I revamped an already revamped sprite set made by rukifellth and created a new fighting system (Juke Kisaragi) to the character. Thanks for providing the enlarged size of the sprites rukifellth :). I assume that this shouldn't be in the sprite project section as I am gonna make my own version of the character from scratch :-X

rukifellth Version: New Version:

Screenshots will be out soon in game but I wanna focus alittle more on the sprite differences first  :mhappy:

Isabeau Incarnate/Other Candy: Released
Foxy, Isabeau, Aika Toarcreat & Athena Asamiya: Coming Soon...
Re: Miu Kurosaki WIP By LunaTuna
#2  May 22, 2017, 11:36:50 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I like your face edit, pretty good!
Glad to see some possible update for Miu.

I remember beiing hyped back in time when seeing this portrait :

Then, it was a deception ingame...

Let me give you some elements of possible improvement (these are just suggestions)
-Her initial sprite don't look like an actual human, but more like anime cute character. What about giving her a slightly more feminine figure ?
-her big feet, big head, skinny body don't match kof standards I think ???
-her sprite art-style is not really kof-ish, perhaps some fixes can make it better?
-IMO her regular palette should/could be more like the artwork (something more dark)
-most of her animations are sloppy with very few frames and lack of variation (thanks to GBA limitations ?)
-She need some new moves, because ingame she can be kind of limited/boring.

If you need suggestions for moves other stuffs, just PM me about it, I'll try my best to help you.
#3  May 22, 2017, 11:46:35 am
    • Australia
I like your face edit, pretty good!
Glad to see some possible update for Miu.

I remember beiing hyped back in time when seeing this portrait :

Then, it was a deception ingame...

Let me give you some elements of possible improvement (these are just suggestions)
-Her initial sprite don't look like an actual human, but more like anime cute character. What about giving her a slightly more feminine figure ?
-her big feet, big head, skinny body don't match kof standards I think ???
-her sprite art-style is not really kof-ish, perhaps some fixes can make it better?
-IMO her regular palette should/could be more like the artwork (something more dark)
-most of her animations are sloppy with very few frames and lack of variation (thanks to GBA limitations ?)
-She need some new moves, because ingame she can be kind of limited/boring.

If you need suggestions for moves other stuffs, just PM me about it, I'll try my best to help you.

Maybe laying out some basic ideas for her body would help assist me with editing her for example where I should put the shades on each part of her :) but right now I can only do alittle tweaks here and there. For spriting the whole body, it might look so terrible on my part unless somebody gives me a hand improving the sprites, but as for palettes, new moves and changing her facial features is something that I can improve for Miu :) It seems the only problem that I wanna fix right now is the frames for the stance, like you said it's really choppy which really throws me off, but other than that, all the other frames seems fine for the moves and stuff.

Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:55:03 am by LunaTuna
#4  May 22, 2017, 12:12:22 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
This is a very sloppy try I just made. (I(m pretty bad with kof style spriting)
Please, excuse the non matching shading (not actually Kof-ish)
Again this is a very fast sprite and color edit.
This is how I would imagine her...
#5  May 22, 2017, 01:05:43 pm
    • Australia

thank you so much for giving me an overall idea of what shes like!

I have looked into the files in miu's that are already created and one of the miu's have iori strikers, I measured it with ex2 iori and the iori from the original series and I have found that characters from ex2 that they need to be resized by 1.33 to get the same size as the ones from the original kof.

KOF EX 2: Original Series:

Turns out I don't need to change the feet that much, it's just that Miu has really big f*king feet

Old: New:

Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:26:14 pm by LunaTuna
#6  May 22, 2017, 01:28:30 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
Yes, no problem.

About the feet you're right but these proportions make her very manga/anime/cartoon type character compared to kof characters looking "mostly" like humans. (not really but you know what I mean)

Anyway, if you need to use some part of this sprite, there is no problem.

If I'm motivated I might sprite edit the full character to this size when you're done.
But I'm lacking time these days.

Good luck, I like your work.
#7  May 22, 2017, 01:36:41 pm
    • Australia
Yes, no problem.

About the feet you're right but these proportions make her very manga/anime/cartoon type character compared to kof characters looking "mostly" like humans. (not really but you know what I mean)

Anyway, if you need to use some part of this sprite, there is no problem.

If I'm motivated I might sprite edit the full character to this size when you're done.
But I'm lacking time these days.

Good luck, I like your work.

Thanks :D. this project is probably gonna take awhile but I think I should beable to finish it :). It's also my first time spriting a character so thats a challenge haha xD

#8  May 23, 2017, 05:27:36 am
    • Australia
I got some assistant in spriting and here is her stance, compared to the previous one she has more tone on her legs, thoughts?

Old: New:

If the sprite is fine then I'll continue with the whole animation, tell me if I need to change anything :). I haven't changed her palette yet because the colours on her portraits are really dark which would be hard to work on while I'm redrawing the sprites.

Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:38:01 am by LunaTuna
#9  May 24, 2017, 07:24:15 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
Not bad.
I still might edit her when the character is completed :)

Yes, I recommand to keep this lighter palette during the sprite editing step, then, apply a new palette to the finished character.

9mb

#10  May 25, 2017, 08:23:05 pm
good job
I am Chinese!打倒一切洋奴,慕洋犬和港台毒!
#11  May 25, 2017, 09:58:40 pm
  • Words Are Empty
  • Things Never Change
    • Brazil
    • amerendadoeduardo@gmail.com
This is a good edition of Miu's hair, but there is one thing bothers me (at least while I'm drunk and using the Goolge Translator):

Where's this girl's ponytail?
Is it behind the face or the left side of it (viewer's view)?
Because, seriously, I realize that there are times when this hairstyle moves alone ...

Take a look at Mai's sprites to get an idea of what I write ... unless I'm too drunk to utter a meaningful sentence ...

@9mb:

There's something I'd like to ask you, at least while I'm drunk:

Are you the old Mr. S?

Seriously, because everything (stalking and a liter of Catuaba) leads me to believe that you are the former Mr. S.
Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:06:15 pm by Eduardo Merenda
#12  May 26, 2017, 06:39:42 am
  • (o.O)!
  • MadkaT Was Here
    • Guernsey
    • a@b.xxx
    • Skype - admin
    • network.mugenguild.com/madkat
Nice, I was trying to create some sprites ago, but I have not the enough time, you could use athena and kula as base for the body and some parts, they have a lot of similar parts with miu, for the shoes just use the kaoru ones as a base:

Or the lilly kane shoes too:

Hope it helps, good luck!
<- Foros Mugen en español. And also English forums.
#13  May 26, 2017, 08:22:02 am
  • Why,

Hmm... Just mind: best way to learn is do it. Why it should be at something style? It was yours and... you know.
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#14  May 26, 2017, 08:56:24 am
  • A.K.A. NED
The pony tail is definitly on the side.
The artwork can be confusing, like Hiroaki don't really understood where was this pony tail and put it somewhere on back and side.

I'm still thinking her body proportions in KOF EX are really not fitting kof "realistic" proportions.
I think it's due to the fact she have been drawn directly in small sprites (not like most other kof characters who have been scalled down to GBA screen size) IMO it encourages the artist to draw her in an anime-kawaii type, not in a "realistic" way. But I'm pretty sure she should have proportions more like Kula/Athena/Hinako type, not the deformed type she have. This is just my point of view. :)

9mb

#15  May 26, 2017, 09:58:35 am
This is a good edition of Miu's hair, but there is one thing bothers me (at least while I'm drunk and using the Goolge Translator):

Where's this girl's ponytail?
Is it behind the face or the left side of it (viewer's view)?
Because, seriously, I realize that there are times when this hairstyle moves alone ...

Take a look at Mai's sprites to get an idea of what I write ... unless I'm too drunk to utter a meaningful sentence ...

@9mb:

There's something I'd like to ask you, at least while I'm drunk:

Are you the old Mr. S?

Seriously, because everything (stalking and a liter of Catuaba) leads me to believe that you are the former Mr. S.
.......No,I‘m not.
I am Chinese!打倒一切洋奴,慕洋犬和港台毒!
#16  May 26, 2017, 11:57:58 am
    • Australia
Nice, I was trying to create some sprites ago, but I have not the enough time, you could use athena and kula as base for the body and some parts, they have a lot of similar parts with miu, for the shoes just use the kaoru ones as a base:

Or the lilly kane shoes too:

Hope it helps, good luck!

I think thats good idea to use their shoes for a reference! Thanks :D

The pony tail is definitly on the side.
The artwork can be confusing, like Hiroaki don't really understood where was this pony tail and put it somewhere on back and side.

I'm still thinking her body proportions in KOF EX are really not fitting kof "realistic" proportions.
I think it's due to the fact she have been drawn directly in small sprites (not like most other kof characters who have been scalled down to GBA screen size) IMO it encourages the artist to draw her in an anime-kawaii type, not in a "realistic" way. But I'm pretty sure she should have proportions more like Kula/Athena/Hinako type, not the deformed type she have. This is just my point of view. :)

Miu is shorter than Kula (145cm while Kula is 169cm) and also Miu is 16 so I think SNK intentionally made her look alittle bit kawaii kinda like momoko. But I do kinda agree Miu looks like a potato. But I'll see how it goes though xD

PS: I'm actually using Kula's face as a reference from the start x)

#17  May 26, 2017, 07:19:33 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
#18  May 29, 2017, 07:01:25 am
  • (o.O)!
  • MadkaT Was Here
    • Guernsey
    • a@b.xxx
    • Skype - admin
    • network.mugenguild.com/madkat
Athena could work for the body, you just need to downscale it, to adjust the size, heraclius was the character that gave me the idea, she has a Miu-esque pallete:

Just scale the Miu sheet to the arcade proportions, and start to add the athena body pieces over, and the kula face, et voilá, you have a good base  :catgoi:
<- Foros Mugen en español. And also English forums.
#19  June 05, 2017, 05:49:52 am
    • Peru
That's an interesting project! I would like to see it finished c:

Well, I've always been a fan of this character and I've always wanted to have a normal size version and that's why I searched a lot, until I got to this wip or private char that was made by hlhho. Unfortunately I do not know anything more about this char, however you can be useful even if these images.
You can rely on them ^_^

#20  June 06, 2017, 04:41:46 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
D*mn! I like these screens.
She looks a little less kiddish on them.
Almost how I imagine her beside the loose socks style