YesNoOk

Muramasa the Demon Blade Stage(s) (Read 47507 times)

Started by Odb718, March 15, 2017, 01:18:15 pm
Share this topic:
Muramasa the Demon Blade Stage(s)
#1  March 15, 2017, 01:18:15 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I've been wanting to make a Muramasa stage ever since I got it for the Wii. Well I got the sprites ripped and started work a couple days ago.
There's a couple spots through out the game that I plan to make. 3 to 4 stages. But I'm taking on a harder one to begin with. And it wasn't going the greatest.

I'm stuck wondering if certain things will be possible building a 1.0 stage. I did, however, figure out one MAJOR problem that I was facing. All most ALL of the sprites have blurred edges. When I import them and try to get them working in a 1.0 stage they look like poop. I've come up with a solution of sorts. It's not source accurate but check it out.
I went from this to this

^^^ Just importing the sprites using FF3, tiled, with 2 rows    and Using a method and layering 2 sprites. The left side has the alpha'd image on top, the right wheat has it behind.
This is with the alpha setting at 256,256

I'm trying to decide which look I like best.
This is how the "original stage" looks.

I dont think Mugen 1.0 will get it looking as nice as the Wii's graphics, but I'm trying.
There's like 19 different versions of the same area. If you've ever played the game you know what I mean. I'm just taking all the parts and making my own.

Which of the 4 layered wheats do you guys like the best?
First Image Bright  or First Image Darker
Second Image Bright or Second Image Darker

If you guys are interested in seeing some progress, I snapped a few frames during testing. You can see the stage being built up. I made a gallery here >>>> http://imgur.com/a/5Y2Gm
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:20:27 pm by Odb718
Re: Muramasa the Demon Blade Stage
#2  March 15, 2017, 03:27:54 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Looks nice.

IMO second image darker looks best.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#3  March 15, 2017, 06:26:07 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
Awesome!! :)
Few years ago I started to rip one of the stage too, not this part but I've lost interest in it with time. You've put it in my head again!!
I hope you'll succeed with your stage, Muramasa is an awesome game!  :)
#4  March 16, 2017, 12:38:00 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Heh, I use Dhalsim cuz he jumps extremely high, and his float dash gets me from one side of the stage to the other the fastest.
I've put in some more work. The thing I'm trying to work on now is actually making the sky use parallax scrolling. I think I got it where I like it.
It's kinda hard to tell in the pics, but in game it sorta seems like the sky is like 10 layers all moving at different speeds.
But this happens after 3 or 4mins of game time
I'm sure the stretching would get worse if I let it run longer. It's like the bottom isnt moving proportionally with the top. Like when the 2nd image of the sky's base is where the original's base started, the top is way to the left. Then it just compounds.
This is my BG info for it

I'm not sure how to do the math to figure it out exactly perfect. I just figured I wanted the top to be 2x the size of the bottom. If anyone knows how to work Parallax Tiled image with a velocity let me know what I'm doing wrong.
The image's size is 486x236
and the stage has                               
boundleft      = -2350
boundright     =  2350
the stage is hirez.
@O Ilusionista: or @Cybaster: do you guys know what's going haywire?

If anyone who's good at working on stages can tell me, does it take more resources tiling one image 70 times, or using that image 2 times, and tiling those 2 sets 20 times?
Like the first one would have the image 70x on screen. The second one would be posting the image 40x but would be using two BG elements to do it.
Anyone noticed a trade off?

What I'm thinking is I'd make the wheat say, 9 different items, then space them out in 9 different patterns. There would still be 20 wheat sprites on screen at a time, but it'd be 9 different listings in the BG def. Is there a trade off?
#5  March 16, 2017, 02:05:07 pm
    • Mexico
    • cucco77@hotmail.com
Dude, I literally was waiting for something like this! I only knew about the other stage. I don't really know a lot about the process of making stages but heard that replicating the ones from this game were a challenge! Muramasa is a gorgeous game and you're making it justice!
#6  March 21, 2017, 10:58:51 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I've made some progress. Less than I should have because I started work on a second Muramasa stage. It's the beach.
You can't really tell how much progress Ive made by these two images. The wheat is animated now. I have 3 similar but different animations for the wheat. I've made a hill on the left side of the stage. I figure the right side will be boulders or something.

I plan on shoving as many layers in as possible until I notice tearing or lag. Then I'll probably get rid of a few things to make it work smooth on other people's PCs.

Oyea, I did a pattern for the first row of wheat so it's not all the exact animation.
It goes
ABACABACABAC
I have a 4th animation, but I wasn't sure how to get the right tile spacing/pattern to work.
The tile space for 1 is 113. If anyone can figure out a 4 or 5 animation row, let me know. =]
Oh and they go for 51 spots combined.
#7  March 21, 2017, 06:37:55 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Mildly off topic, but where did you get those textures? I've been trying to extract them from Muramasa for years.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#8  March 21, 2017, 11:56:19 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Update your Dolphin emulator. You can use the dump textures feature. Each stage that you enter will dump to the folder. So you can delete what's in the dump folder, press left or right to go into the new stage; The one you want to make. Then the Dolphin will pump them all into the folder. Make sure you walk the entire stage because unless it sees it on screen it doesnt load it.

I just used the Load custom textures to learn the wheat blowing in the wind pattern. There's 16 images and it only uses 8. and they're not in any type of order. 4-12-15-13-1-10-5-11
#9  March 22, 2017, 04:30:03 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
I loved the art style in this game, looking forward to its release it looks gorgeous.
#10  March 22, 2017, 04:35:41 am
    • Mexico
    • cucco77@hotmail.com
Just asking: are the castle and town in your plans?

Also are you going to add a tree like in the "sample" screenshot you posted?
#11  March 22, 2017, 06:38:52 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I've already got two trees in. The base is the same, just like in Muramasa, but I've tweaked the tops to be different.
Once I get better at making stages, I want to make the tops of the castle... there's 1 spot where the map kind of curves under your feet while you run. The BG doesn't change too much, but it's amazing.
I want to do a stage that has the Torii in the background. It's about 10 or so deep.

Muramasa has a type of blur/black fade in between layers it seems. That and the camera lens flare might not make it in my stages. I _MAY_ be able to rip them using a technique I'm formulating as I'm typing this. But for now, I'm adjusting the palettes of the sprites to mimic it. If you look at the first few sprites' dirt trail, you can see it's brighter than the newer ones. The boulder is pretty bright, but the stone on the trail is darker. I KNOW I'm going to have to mess with the beach stage's palettes. Everything is like pure white.

I'll probably end up just using this thread for all of the stages. I was thinking about posting progress on the beach stage already.

----
I noticed there's no image with the stone or the tree in this thread. You can see a branch. And the stone is doing a good job of camouflage... it's by his knee. This is from my help thread
Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:54:09 am by Odb718
#12  March 23, 2017, 09:06:38 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Got to a point where I figure a release is doable, but the stage isn't 100%.
I still want to add the random sprigs along the path and foreground. I made a preview video. Didn't realize how much stuff I had open when I made the video so it's a little laggy. The volume of the stage is pretty loud. You may want to check your speakers.
#13  March 23, 2017, 10:04:39 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Looks very nice cant wait for more, that games got so many
Assets to make tons of gorgeous stages, if I could I would
Makes all my full games stages based on the art contained
In this game.
#14  March 23, 2017, 10:11:03 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Looks beautiful. Good job.
#15  March 23, 2017, 10:39:09 pm
    • Mexico
    • cucco77@hotmail.com
Looks amazing, I can remember the fight with that chubby ninja against L ... errr Kisuke. :P
#16  April 13, 2017, 10:43:22 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Still working on this stage. I hit a wall, busted through it like Kool Aid Man, and made this happen.

DragonFly Dead Center
Right now there's 4 of them. 3 use the same pattern,timing but I've kinda snuck some differences in those 3. The 4th one is unique.
The two types both use pretty long patterns. One's over 720 tics and the other is over 2,100 tics.
For those with the sharpest eyes you may be able to see the background chunks of wheat are filled in. It definitely adds a lot more weight to the stage. In some spots you could see through my two layers, but now it's almost non-existent.

I plan on adding the dead leaves to the trees, the glowy floaty dust/pollen, and the foreground sprigs of wheat.
If some one would like to give me advice to do the overall overlay that Muramasa uses in game, that'd be great. I have a general idea how to make it, but I dont have any effect for it. There's nothing to rip from the game that I can tell. I think they just use a general fade/gradient and colorize and post process it.
#17  April 28, 2017, 01:21:05 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Work on the "wheat" stage is winding down. As it stands I wouldn't be ashamed to release it. It still could use a lot of stuff though.
But I'm working on a second stage from Muramasa.
Spoiler: This one (click to see content)
Right now I have all of the houses made up and ready to go in. I have a GIANT image of the sky that I'm going to cut down into smaller chunks so there wont be bad colorloss. I'm not sure if I'll do the 16x16 square method or what.

But the main reason I'm typing this post is the floor.
Has anyone made 3D shapes in mugen 1.0 using parallax?

I've done stuff like this in the past for Xbox 360/FreeStyleDash. I'm just not sure if Mugen will show one side solid and the other side completely transparent? If anyone really good at making stages could help with this part that'd be awesome.
 I may just make a big top down image and do basic parallax scrolling if the fake 3D method wont work. It wont look half as nice.
I dont think there's a way to get the stage to act like it does in game. Where the top left swings down slightly. It's pretty awesome on the Wii. I have no clue how to get it to act that way in mugen though. The arc in the floor wont be there in mugen.
#18  April 28, 2017, 04:07:36 pm
    • Mexico
    • cucco77@hotmail.com
Man, that's exactly the stage I'm anticipating the most. Hopefully you can achieve all of that, specially the floor effect.
Re: Muramasa the Demon Blade Stage(s)
#19  April 30, 2017, 03:04:09 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
After some messing around I've come up with this.
I searched 3D mugen stages and this one popped up and gave me the idea.

There's a few major differences between my stage and the "Moto" stage by p.p
I only have 16 unique images, not 94.
They're made to loop.
They aren't made to take up the whole screen.
The moto stage isnt half as long as I'd like the rooftop stage to be.

I'm not really sure on the method this stage uses. I get the overall concept, but I'm not 100% clear on it. Added to that, I need my images to loop.
I mean I guess I could just duplicate the images until I have 90+ of them, but I'd rather not.
I still need to remove the hilt from the images. I was just doing them as a test, but seems to be working.
Re: Muramasa the Demon Blade Stage(s)
#20  May 05, 2017, 12:39:17 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Working on the Rooftop stage. doing some calculations, and it's not looking great.
it takes 135 lines to make 16 pixels of floor travel.
I need 340 additional pixels for the floor.
So that's roughly 2600 more lines of code.
Editing those 135 lines took over half an hour.

Once that's done I'll have to edit those objects yet again. There's no easier way. So about 20+ hours just to do the floor. Then I have to fill in all the buildings.
You guys better appreciate this stage lol.

Spoiler: alpha of the stage (click to see content)