YesNoOk

Primal Rage II - MAME (Read 50169 times)

Started by adriano gt, February 11, 2017, 04:45:39 pm
Share this topic:
Primal Rage II - MAME
#1  February 11, 2017, 04:45:39 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
Primal Rage II is coming soon for MAME.... Please, vote in the description of video.

Re: Primal Rage II - MAME
#2  February 11, 2017, 06:13:29 pm
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
Gruntzilla94 is a saint. Haha.
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.

#3  February 12, 2017, 01:34:10 pm
    • Brazil
#4  February 13, 2017, 04:07:59 pm
Has anyone figured out finishing moves yet?
#5  February 13, 2017, 06:11:03 pm
    • USA
Gruntzilla94 has the move lists on his website. They're accurate as far as I know. Haven't done one personally, though.

#6  February 13, 2017, 06:41:34 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
Some people have already made some Arcade runs of the game and i've gotta say it's.... interesting.

WARNING! ear rape on continue screens. If you see this guy lose, just lower or mute the volume until the next match starts

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:44:35 pm by Negi Springfield
#7  February 13, 2017, 07:10:54 pm
    • USA
The OST has been ripped long time ago, it has a pretty damn big amount of songs that do change between rounds (And even some unused ones too).
#8  February 13, 2017, 07:26:09 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
So, we can expect a working revision on the next MAME update?
#9  February 13, 2017, 07:31:05 pm
    • Brazil

_mame
_rom
_chd image
_atari psx

game work fine
Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:05:49 pm by Odb718
#10  February 13, 2017, 07:43:26 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
The OST has been ripped long time ago, it has a pretty damn big amount of songs that do change between rounds (And even some unused ones too).

Thanks fam. Already got it all downloaded. This is some legit good shit. Now the next big question is MUGEN conversions...
#11  February 13, 2017, 07:55:15 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'm going to look into this since I was going to convert some PR chars anyway. Not sure if I'll want the human ones and obviously they wouldn't transform
#12  February 13, 2017, 08:25:32 pm

N.

#13  February 13, 2017, 09:13:28 pm
Oh.  Just noticed this.  Well I'll just post what I gave adriano_gt in his PMs here.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/0nck8g

- The Black BG color mod seems to be working from initial tests.  You may have to pause/unpause emulation if the BG turns black.

You may get 7 results.  It might be the 2nd from the bottom of the list.  Only test the 1st one in the list, becuase that's the only one that'll get color modded.  It'll affect the darkest color in the credits font, and one of the colors in the player names.  The black BG color is located -1C6B0 from that.

- Frame mod's kinda twitchy.

- Anim mod only seems to work on an animation previously played.  I made something that shows you what the values are so know what to set those to.

- Whatever this game used for an animation timer is weird (0000, 3F80, 4000.  Assuming what I found is that.  I didn't have much luck trying to find them the normal way so far).

- Color set might not be useful, but the color tint mod could be used to make the character solid black.

- Scale and hide element cheats seem to be consistent in the stage I found them in.  I was wrong.  They were consistent because I kept choosing the same characters.  I went through and tried to find as many as I saw could affect things.

- I found X/Y camera controls.  Part of the zooming seems to come from the camera's Z movement and something else that I'm not entirely sure on (should I put it in there, even though it'd be incomplete?).  You can hide characters (via rescale) and make them solid black, so this might not be too much of an issue.

- I tried to make something that replays the sounds (a sound modifier for this looks like it'd be a pain to do.  There's controllers for pitch and volume, and the sound values might be 2 bytes).  The issue with it is the game doesn't appear to log that many sounds, so it's possible you might have to use the debugger to get the values for everything you'd need to replay a specific sound if there's no way to stop the values from being overwritten (you could probably use the attempt to replay cheats to try and force the game not to write sounds to the spot you want to replay (I'd have to look into that.  Hopefully I won't have to).  Also, the sounds for special effects are given their own space (it looks like it might be the lower half of the list).  One more thing: I didn't set it up how the game increments the values (1st one by odd numbers, 2nd by even) just in case there's anything in between.

Edit7: Added a stage modifier.  And a character outfit color mod (this is more to see if you can find unused outift colors).

Removed character mods and added something that makes all the characters accessible from the start (mega versions of the humans?  Why?).  Even Necrosan, though I'm not quite sure if what I did is how the game intended it work (I checked a row above the character unlock addresses, setting them to the value that unlocks the extra characters and one of them makes him show up when you press up).

Added more hide element and rescale cheats.  Went through every stage, searching for addresses to hide everything in them.  Hopefully, I got all of them.  Character unlock cheat got tweaked slightly.  Now 2P can play as Necrosan.  Also, Black BG color mod.  And Camera X/Y controls (not sure how useful that is though).

Added X/Y position mods for 2P.  And something that hopefully should take care of the recolored BG flickering (if you've encountered it).
1 Last Updated: 4/19/23
2 Last Updated: 1/16/21
3 Last Updated: 04/20/23
4 Last Updated: 7/16/17
Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:43:33 am by N.
#14  February 13, 2017, 09:23:58 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
- Whatever this game used for an animation timer is weird (0000, 3F80, 4000.

If I had to guess,1 byte integer that's in a weird spot (so not byte-aligned)

3F80 = 0011 1111 1000 0000
4000 = 0100 0000 0000 0000
#15  February 13, 2017, 10:00:11 pm
    • Germany
How far are the New and old Dinogods finished in the game?
#16  February 13, 2017, 11:44:08 pm
    • USA
Some of 'em are missing fatalities and arcade endings, but other than that, they're fully functional

#17  February 14, 2017, 06:41:41 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I'm going to look into this since I was going to convert some PR chars anyway. Not sure if I'll want the human ones and obviously they wouldn't transform
Some russian site has all the arcade ones from PR one already ripped. Looking at this from the vid (DL still running) the dinosaur sprites don't appear different in any way, although they could conceivably be larger? I don't recall if they were ripped with axis in mind, i know there was a little bit of a cross actually remaining on them from the ripping process (at least for Talon who i still kinda plan to redo) didn't download all the packs.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#18  February 14, 2017, 06:44:23 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#19  February 14, 2017, 07:58:08 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Yes, the sprites have been revamped a bit. Been messing with it a bit. Specials are now much easier in that it's your standard QCF/QCB motions rather than before where it was hold 2 buttons and then perform a directional motion.

Super bar exists, when it's full press 3P or 3K and you transform into a dinosaur and perform a series of attacks. Can't see how to start as a dinosaur yet though. Tried some of the standard stuff, now i feel like i need to try weirder options like combinations of keys. It is also not hold start, or hold direction. I know it's possible, and don't mind working out moves but if any one knows the "how to select dinosaur" bit can you please let me know.

Edit: Oh you have to hold up for like 3-4 seconds before you can select the dinosaurs. That's kinda dumb. Sprites are i believe bigger. They have reused older animations but have created new ones as well and i believe that the capture of them is improved so they are of higher quality than previous. Wonder if you can play as necrosan.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:20:41 am by Cyanide
#20  February 14, 2017, 11:27:31 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
You can play as necrosan.

Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:32:09 am by Just No Point
#21  February 14, 2017, 11:01:31 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/

N.

#22  February 15, 2017, 01:34:02 am
Cool.  I found the address for the Black BG color (turns out it was 4 bytes), so now you don't need to use Artmoney to recolor it.  You may have to pause/unpause the game to get the cheat to start working again (sometimes the color gets changed).
Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:39:27 am by N.
#23  February 15, 2017, 01:58:48 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Awesome! What else are you going to look for? I just fired the game up today and it's loads better than the original as far as the gameplay goes. I don't really like the backgrounds as much as PR1 even though they have a lot more going on. And the human characters really pull you out of the immersion. Claymation works for the dinosaurs but looks terrible with the human characters.

Though the better quality rips actually make it easier to tell the Dinos are clay too :p but I still want to get the newer sprites!

N.

#24  February 15, 2017, 02:06:31 am
Not sure.  I want to see if I can either get the animation mod to work better or find some other way to make different sprites to display.

Edit: I didn't have any luck with it, so I asked adriano_gt if there was anything else he thought I should add to make the list more complete for sprite ripping.  He suggested controls for P2, so I added those.    Also, the BG was flickering when I recently tried the color mod, so I went poking around and I think I found something to take care of that.  I'll come back to this if there's anything someone's having trouble getting.
Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:52:04 am by N.
#25  February 18, 2017, 08:11:44 pm
    • Brazil
Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:50:58 pm by adriano gt
#26  February 21, 2017, 01:48:11 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
This is truly a dream comes true!! :D
#27  March 27, 2017, 10:50:41 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6gtTMa8_w I did a playthrough this past week as Talon.

Also, some of you know this already, but for those that don't the game has suicides for almost all the characters. Chaos and Arik are the only ones missing them iirc. Blizzard and Diablo do have the inputs coded but they're unfinished. Others have glitched animations, such as Slashfang. Necrosan, and Talons. Also, even if you use a Suicide, it still counts as a win by the game so I dunno what the point of them is really.

Speaking of Necrosan, If he were just intended to be just a boss, He wouldn't have a fatality and a Suicide. None of the CPU opponents in Primal Rage or Primal Rage 2 use finishers on you while playing.  I dunno if it's working or not but Necrosan also has an ending in the game code. And it's actually legit text too. Don't wanna spoil it for you guys. If you want to read it, there's a youtube video that has it and also it's on Gruntzilla's site.

As for the endings in general. None of the dino-god endings are actually working, except for SlashFang's. SlashFang's ending is the only one that loads if you beat the game as him. All the other dinogods use their respective Avatar's ending as a placeholder. Possibly because most of them don't have ending pictures. Chaos has a picture for his ending, but for some reason, his ending isn't displayed (Shank's is instead). There are a few dino gods, such as Diablo, that don't have any ending text at all in the code.

Other unused stuff includes Shank's Bio and at least two stages which aren't coded in and don't have proper palletes. One of them looks like it belongs to Diablo and may be what the unused stage music tracks were intended for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMTQUV8SAvI you can see those stage assets in this video. The other stage is probably Slash Fang's version of Xiao Ming's level. There's also two additional stages which are only used in two player mode despite being intended for a respective Dino God. They seem to use placeholder tracks as well. Sauron's Seawall and Vertigo's Alter are the two 2p exclusive stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEB87aXNLDw
Slashfang doesn't have an actual fatality, but there is an animation for one:
Only the Avatars have decapitation sprites, so chances are the fatality either only was supposed to work on the Avatars, or the dino gods didn't have sprites made yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b207u2G0D8
Blizzard has the sprites for his Primal Rage 1 fatalities intact. Brain Bash seems to just be a leftover as the sprites associated for the smashed heads of the dino gods were never converted and still use the Primal Rage 1 color format as you can see in the above video. Despite what Green Geode says, I believe this was the case for Brain Bash. Redemption on the other hand was probably meant to be included as it has an updated animation for the soul leaving the body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DomUym8Y0mo
Chaos has his Golden Shower Fatality animation in the ROM and it has a new peeing FX as you can see in the video. Also worth noting, the second outcome of the fatality that GreenGeode Posted in the video is probably meant to only be associated with Necrosan's fatality.
#28  March 28, 2017, 12:07:01 pm
    • Brazil
Gruntzilla94 still works on a more stable version ...
We must keep in mind that this game was never released, maybe some things are really unfinished
#29  March 28, 2017, 11:27:08 pm
*facepalm* The stuff I mentioned above is all things that are in the data but not actually coded into the game.  And for the record, GreenGeode was actually working on the game too at one point. Like I said, he made a sprite viewing/ripping program which he used to get the unused animations shown above from and unfortunately, for whatever reason he won't release it. Either he's not active on youtube anymore or he simply doesn't want to.
#30  April 06, 2017, 08:00:03 pm
  • GEE GEE
wow he finally got the game working. That is some incredible reverse engineering. I tried to rip Necrosan from this youtube video since GreenGeode gave up on PR2, but then I got too busy being unemployed.

If anyone is interested in ripping the necrosan/slashfang sprites, I've got an unfinished sprite sheet right here if it helps. I'm not planning on working on it until after I get my bachelor's degree. it probably won't help since we have the actual game now, and these rips are from a youtube vid... but i'm guessing it has some sprites that are not executed in game, since i've seen no footage of necrosan's flying mechanism other than the sprite study youtube vid above.

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/necrosan-primal-rage-ii-sprites-need-help-169441.0.html

wat.
#31  December 28, 2017, 06:46:45 pm
What kind of mods are available for this game and what do they do? I can't seem to find any online.

Also, how are so many people playing as Sauron etc? I don't see any of the original ones on the character select screen.
#32  December 29, 2017, 03:14:35 pm
    • Brazil
What kind of mods are available for this game and what do they do? I can't seem to find any online.

Also, how are so many people playing as Sauron etc? I don't see any of the original ones on the character select screen.

try this: put the selector on your character ... and give several clicks up
#33  December 30, 2017, 12:11:07 pm

try this: put the selector on your character ... and give several clicks up
To play as the Dino-god and the Meta-god, right? Does the mod have anything else apart from that? ..Like, say a fix for the hang when 2p inserts a coin for a continue etc.
#34  December 30, 2017, 02:33:17 pm
    • Brazil
I do not know .... but hit the tab key, and enter cheats .... you will find many extra options