YesNoOk

what game are you playing right now (Read 1057946 times)

Started by Shunu, December 09, 2009, 09:37:27 pm
Share this topic:
Re: what game are you playing right now
#5041  October 05, 2017, 02:51:10 am
I tried Metroid Prime with motion controls.

Why did they do this

I tried it again and I think I'm getting used to the controls. They're still Very Bad and massively come between me and the game, movement overall feels too fast and some segments are ruined because my viewpoint is whipping all over the place, but the majority of the feeling of the game came through this time. I don't think this is going to be terrible, I think it'll just be kinda bad and annoying.
#5042  October 05, 2017, 04:09:46 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I haven't played the Wii versions of Prime 1 and 2, but have seen more than my fair share of reviewers who skipped out on the Gamecube and instead are using the Wii versions as their basis, and it seems very much to lose as much value as the freedom of movement gives, if not more.  The lack of instantaneous beam changing looks absolutely game-halting in any combat situation, and if they function like Prime 3, while there are means to lock-on like the Gamecube had, you have to also then keep a completely straight arm to hit the thing you're targeted on, or else you'll be focused looking at the guy while Samus is also just shooting wildly to the right, and that gets tiresome.  The ability to look up while moving does simplify a number of Prime 1 and 2 puzzles with elements you'd overlook staring straight ahead all the time, but I'd rather not have easy puzzles to begin with, and especially not also at the cost of Prime's tried-and-true combat features.

That all said, you should be on Samus Returns!  Save the Primes for after to catch up when Prime 4 news comes around, man.
#5043  October 05, 2017, 05:56:29 am
  • "I'm...The Champion"
    • USA
NBA2k18.I been playing 2k since 2008 and still addicted to the games 2k makes.Heck I might be the 1st person ever to mention a 2k game in a mugen forum.
#5044  October 05, 2017, 02:16:40 pm
The lack of instantaneous beam changing looks absolutely game-halting in any combat situation

Visor-changing, too.

, and if they function like Prime 3, while there are means to lock-on like the Gamecube had, you have to also then keep a completely straight arm to hit the thing you're targeted on, or else you'll be focused looking at the guy while Samus is also just shooting wildly to the right, and that gets tiresome.

Actually, believe it or not, they made that an option. You can turn that on or off any time you like, switching between Prime 1 and 2's fixed-aim lock-on and Prime 3's free-aim lock-on mid-gameplay.

The ability to look up while moving does simplify a number of Prime 1 and 2 puzzles with elements you'd overlook staring straight ahead all the time, but I'd rather not have easy puzzles to begin with, and especially not also at the cost of Prime's tried-and-true combat features.

I only remember this bothering me in a couple of places in Prime 1, so I doubt it's a major factor. My issue is that Samus seems to move too fast, both physically in morph ball form and in terms of moving the camera in normal FPS mode. Some segments have me massively fighting the camera to do what I'm supposed to do. Also, the lock-on seems much more unreliable. It stays locked on once you lock on, but acquiring the lock fails about a third of the time. Because of these two things, the war wasp hive boss where you get the missile launcher was pretty much impossible and took me 3 deaths before I got it, and when I did it was mainly luck.

That said, I'm still having a whole lot of fun, and all the exploration segments work fine.

It's also worth mentioning the Wii version is missing some of the particle effects when you charge up the different beam types, and that 'Normal mode' in the Wii versions is a new easy mode, and Veteran Mode is the default difficulty from the Gamecube games.

That all said, you should be on Samus Returns!  Save the Primes for after to catch up when Prime 4 news comes around, man.

I played it originally on Gamecube like 10 years ago, but these days I only tolerate HD consoles, and WiiU lets me play Wii games on an HDTV without them looking awful, so this is the version I am stuck with until they release a newer one. I've beaten the original versions of Prime 1 and 2 once (I think I prefer 2 slightly, but more thoughts on that once I play more of this one, it's been too long for me to be that sure). I haven't played 3. I've been meaning to play these for like 4-5 years, but have been extremely put off by the controls--I haven't played any Wii games on my WiiU yet and they are a good chunk of why I bought it. So now, having been unable to play consoles for a month because my furniture was delayed a month after I moved, forgetting all the shit I was playing before as a consequence, all hyped up for Metroid because of Returns, this seems like a good time to finally take the plunge.
#5045  October 05, 2017, 11:31:45 pm
    • USA
This is the nitpicky-ist of the nitpicky, but something I've also been told that I've not be able to rectify myself; did the Wii Trilogy version cut out the menus, main themes and bonus content from the first two?  Because as trivial as it might seem, those two title themes are still vivid in my head when it comes to Metroid, it just sets the mood right from the start for what you're getting into.

Pardon my pretentiousness, but a main menu goes a long way to instantly connect with you what the game's about, so would be a shame if that was the case for the Trilogy bundle.
Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:35:08 pm by Long John Killer

GLB

#5046  October 06, 2017, 12:43:51 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Super late, just got Tekken 7. I really like it honestly i think the rage moves are a nice addition, and i'm actually a fan of the slow mo lol. Breezed through story mode pretty quickly but that god damn special chapter is a rage quitter.
#5047  October 06, 2017, 01:30:40 am
This is the nitpicky-ist of the nitpicky, but something I've also been told that I've not be able to rectify myself; did the Wii Trilogy version cut out the menus, main themes and bonus content from the first two?  Because as trivial as it might seem, those two title themes are still vivid in my head when it comes to Metroid, it just sets the mood right from the start for what you're getting into.

Pardon my pretentiousness, but a main menu goes a long way to instantly connect with you what the game's about, so would be a shame if that was the case for the Trilogy bundle.

The main menu and the main themes are indeed gone, and I deeply miss them. Not sure what bonus content you're referring to, I think the Trilogy version adds some new bonus content?
#5048  October 06, 2017, 01:40:01 am
    • USA
Just artwork things, if I recall correctly they had art galleries of concept art, promotional pictures, character renders, all that jazz.  Metroid Prime 3 actually had this thing about unlocking emblems to spend on such bonus content by doing challenges in the game, as I recall.

Well, that and Prime 1 let you play in the Fusion Suit when connected to Metroid Fusion with a GBA cable attached to the Gamecube, but I suspected that would be gone.
#5049  October 06, 2017, 01:42:48 am
Not gone. The Emblem system was applied to Prime 1 and 2 and all the unlocks exist under it. Fusion suit too.
#5050  October 06, 2017, 01:53:57 am
    • USA
Oh.  Well, that's nice at least.  Nintendo never got into the achievement/trophy war with Xbox and PlayStation at the time, but I kind of enjoyed the extra challenges thrown your way in Prime 3, if nothing extensively creative.  And they kept the Fusion Suit which is more than I thought they would have done, given their attachment to the necessity of extra peripherals for unlocks, like they got going with amiibos now.

...Though at least their physical DLCs are now much prettier to look at than a trading cable or a rumble pack.
#5051  October 06, 2017, 09:25:09 pm
  • Arbiter of Novel Trivia
    • USA
Battle Chasers Nightwar

Its good the story is meh so far but the humor is very distinctive. Dark and whimsical at the same time.
Its good if you are looking for a new turn based Rpg (jrpg style)
#5052  October 14, 2017, 01:13:08 pm
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
I've started a new playthrough of Fate Hollow/Ataraxia with the voice patch.

I loved this game on the first playthrough, but I missed the 100% mark by a bit so this time I'm aiming for everything.
#5053  October 14, 2017, 06:30:19 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Oh.  Well, that's nice at least.  Nintendo never got into the achievement/trophy war with Xbox and PlayStation at the time, but I kind of enjoyed the extra challenges thrown your way in Prime 3, if nothing extensively creative.  And they kept the Fusion Suit which is more than I thought they would have done, given their attachment to the necessity of extra peripherals for unlocks, like they got going with amiibos now.

...Though at least their physical DLCs are now much prettier to look at than a trading cable or a rumble pack.

About the only Prime 1 unlockable that doesn't come back is NES Metroid and obviously virtual console is the reason.

But hey MP trilogy is awesome anyway.

Also...

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn (PS3)

See my writeup in the What Game Did You Finished board. Its great, maps are better, playable Big Zam, DLC is so broken (except 00 Qan[T]) and Uso Ewin is a little shit who made me play the first Ultimate mode mission an additional 10 times to unlock his stupidass Gundam (along with the other ten times I needed to get Cagalli's Strike Rouge and Neo's Akatsuki)
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#5054  October 17, 2017, 07:17:38 am
    • USA
    • morbidjoe666@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Kik : morbidjoe
playing Shin Megami Tensei Synchronicity (free to play) will have to wait til its in english sadly so just playing the Japanese one this is an english one that someone made somewhere online but lazy to look for it and its not a complete english one think
https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/5854/
I need more PSN friends

GLB

#5055  October 21, 2017, 07:40:45 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Jumped straight into Evil Within 2 after finishing most of the 1st one. It's pretty good so far, I was genuinely freaked out at the first appearance of that giant saw hand woman.
#5056  October 21, 2017, 07:43:20 am
  • The Man Without The Plan
    • USA
Just unlocked everything Capcom Vs. SNK 2 on PS3 (PS2 Classics), a game I had for about 10 months.

Pretty fun, and is one of the reasons I'm making M.U.G.E.N. Stuff!
#5057  October 23, 2017, 02:43:50 am
A bunch of youtubers I'm subbed to are playing the new South Park game, so I finally started up the old one, South Park: The Stick of Truth. There are a lot of issues with the interface that it looks like the new game solves, and I'm surprisingly getting some framerate issues in the overworld, but it's good aside from that. In general looks like a decent game with flaws that the sequel fixes, so I'm probably gonna pick up the sequel soon. I feel like I'll like this one but not love it.

Playing as a mage btw.

edit: fuckkkkk i missed an achievement
Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:55:19 am by Snakebyte
#5058  October 24, 2017, 06:22:36 am
Double post:

The PS4/XB1 version of South Park: The Stick of Truth that was a preorder bonus for the new game is much better than the lastgen version. I just unexpectedly got a code for it (they sold me a preorder copy that was never picked up, I think) and it removes the constant framerate/loading issues and makes the game feel buttery fucking smooth. Well worth abandoning my 4h save file for.
#5059  October 24, 2017, 06:30:16 am
    • USA
    • lndnrivers@yahoo.com
Danganronpa V3 for PS4:
Basically on the last case and it is pretty awesome.
#5060  October 26, 2017, 06:50:41 am
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Alright, so...

Okay.

I gave this game a lot of shit. I treated this game like a complete joke that I never intended to buy. And then I started watching the Best Friends play it, expecting to laugh along with the terrible cringe, and... I saw some stuff I wasn't expecting to see.

I'm going to do something I haven't done in a very long time, and give Capcom a lot of praise.

People are mad at this game because of two main things; the roster, and the models. There are no X-Men, and a whole load of characters are reused from MvC3 with a comparatively small amount of new ones; it's comparatively small roster in general. The models were also incredibly meme-worthy, though with one exception (I'l talk about this later) they seem okay now. I'm not gonna defend these things. They're true. They make the game worse than it could be. I would expect more advancement from MvC3 4+ years down the line, and this was clearly Capcom trying to make the game on a lower budget. I had these problems from the beginning and they have not gone away.

However...

First, the game has a real, genuine story mode, in the Netherrealm model, which is a first for MvC. The singleplayer content in 3 was a terrible joke, and while you can say the writing in the story mode is not great, it's a thing. It exists. They actually went the extra mile and didn't pull an MvC3 or a Soulcalibur 5. I appreciate this.

Secondly, they simplified some things from MvC3. 2v2 tag is a lot easier for me to wrap my head around than 3v3 (I'm pretty much a filthy casual at 2D fighters, it's the 3D ones I have some skill in), there's no 'X-Factor' mechanic, they're back to individual punch and kick buttons, and it just feels like they went back to basics in regards to the core gameplay in a lot of ways. It feels both more accessible and more familiar to me, and while it's a pretty minor thing, I appreciate it.

Thirdly, and this is the big one... MvC3 was a mess. I don't mean it was bad, I just mean it was all over the place. There wasn't much consistency. It very much felt like a crossover, rather than a game with its own identity. It mashed a bunch of different, character-specific conventions together, instead of having its own. Additionally, there were a whole lot of characters that were ported over from the sprite-based games and left pretty unchanged. In some ways it felt like part of the game wasn't made for Marvel fans or Capcom fans but specifically Marvel vs Capcom fans... and while I enjoyed the 'Wanna take you for a ride' callback, that wasn't what I wanted out of the game. I didn't want old characters with shiny graphics and 3D models, I wanted them to be revamped and refreshed into something more modern.

As much as I loved how MvC3 handled characters like Dante and Deadpool and Amaterasu, I hated how they handled Magneto and Sentinel and Captain America.

This game, on the other hand, does what I expected MvC3 to do. It's fully divorced itself from providing Versus series fanservice and is trying to be its own coherent whole. To take just one example, Captain America has a couple new command normals (some are just old basics repurposed? I dunno if they all are?), TWO new special moves, and a new level 3. All characters seem pretty standardized in terms of the rough amount of moves they have, instead of trying to be faithful to conventions from old games or their own series.

So, yeah, the roster is a bit of a disappointment, but a lot of the characters they excluded are ones that have played the same for 20+ years, which I didn't really want in the game anyway And, yeah, the models suck, and it's lower budget and lower effort than it probably should have been. But you know what? This is what I wanted MvC3 to be in so many ways, and I'm actually really happy playing it. It fixes all the reasons I ended up being disappointed in that game, even though it's objectively worse in a lot of ways.

I think a lot of this is just my own taste and where I personally sit with the Versus series. But this, to me, is actually really good. Even with the roster problems and the low budget issues, I'm still sitting at a 7 or 8 out of 10 for what I've played so far.

Like, wow. I was not expecting to have such strong positive feelings about a game I wrote off months ago as a dumpster fire.

edit: I forgot to talk about the one exception.

Fuck the idea of Marvel's Death being a generic woman in a robe and not a literal skeleton.

Give me my skeleton lust, what is even the point of Thanos without it, what are you DOING.
Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:03:21 am by Snakebyte