YesNoOk

How to ripp sprites from ROM's? (Read 2425 times)

Started by Mishulika, July 23, 2009, 03:03:38 am
Share this topic:
How to ripp sprites from ROM's?
#1  July 23, 2009, 03:03:38 am
  • "Omae wa mou shindeiru"
    • m0gl13.webs.com/mugen.htm
which programm?
where better to download?
how to use?
how to ripp?
Thank you very much for help!!!
Re: How to ripp sprites from ROM's?
#2  July 23, 2009, 03:34:15 am
  • I got a PM.
Depends on the rom's system. There are emulators for almost every system.

This is how to make the sprites. I'm leaving out how to hack the roms, because this is above your level and mine. There are tutorials about that in the tutorial section of this site.

Download animget. This program takes screenshots while you play the game. After you have all of the shots, you will need to remove the backround. To do this use gimp or photoshop. Gimp is free. Use the select by color tool while holding shift and click on the colors of the sprite you want. This will make a dotted line around the sprite. Cut the sprite and paste into a new image. If the background color matches the sprites color, use the select by continuous region tool instead, then cut and paste.

It is important that all of the sprites share a pallet. So you can either paste over the orginal sprite and save as, or just make one large sprite sheet and then cut it up later.

What I do is make the first sprite. Then I switch between rgb and indexed colors. This give me the option of saving in 256. This way I do not lose any color. Then I find the background color in the pallet. In gimp's pallet, I think the the forth one is the background. Move the background color there. Its been a while so test that in mugen before moving on. After you have the pallet correct, just paste your next sprite over the first one and save as. This will make sprites without color loss and they will have the correct background color for every sprite.

Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:10:33 am by shamrock
#3  July 23, 2009, 04:02:43 am
  • This... Dark... Berserker rage... !

Or...

You could just take off the back layers before start "ripping" the sprites while running the ROM game.

A VERY good alternative to GiMP is GFX Gale. Since [E] introduced me to it I've been in love with it. A FULLY customizable piece of SW with several useful tools (not to mention that it lets you customize your own shortcuts for every tool and more... wait, I did say that already)

But yeah, shamrock's got it good.
Also keep on mind Irfanview. The best of bests... if you ask me.
Spoiler: LOADING SNIFFING GENERAL. . . PLEASE BE PATIENT. . . (click to see content)
#4  July 23, 2009, 04:12:49 am
  • I got a PM.
Also, if the sprite has more than 256, then I would use a vector trace and limit it's colors. This will make a sprite with less colors and it will maintain a good looking sprite. Inkscape as this ability and is also free.
#5  July 24, 2009, 10:04:52 pm
  • "Omae wa mou shindeiru"
    • m0gl13.webs.com/mugen.htm
wow
Thank you very much guys:)
One more question tho...How about stages?

BC

#6  July 24, 2009, 10:30:07 pm
    • UK
think the same rule applies.

emulators like kawaks have a shot factory tool which allows you to disable layers and take shots.
Accepting commissions