YesNoOk

4 buttons fighter is just not enough (Read 23724 times)

Started by Blade Art, May 14, 2010, 01:26:02 pm
Share this topic:
4 buttons fighter is just not enough
#1  May 14, 2010, 01:26:02 pm
  • It's over! We won!
    • SITE BANNED
A good fighting games needs 6 buttons. Light Medium and Strong Punch/Kick.
Why? Because it increases exponentially the array of gameplay, the priorities conflicts, the combos available and the overall strategical aspect, and interest.

I don't get how people can be arguing that KOF is a better fighter than Street Fighter.

You?
SITE BANNED DUE TO ADFLY USE
Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:33:52 pm by Blade Art
Re: A 4 buttons fighter sucks.
#2  May 14, 2010, 01:28:36 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Requesting you change the topic title to something far less controversial that won't involve people giving you shit.

KoF is more technical than SF. It takes more skill to pull off the longer combos and is in general a cleverer game.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  May 14, 2010, 01:30:52 pm
whats up with these people making themselves look bad lately
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#4  May 14, 2010, 01:31:39 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
it's bladeart, did you forget about him? read up his post history.
#5  May 14, 2010, 01:35:58 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
4 buttons are how true men play
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#6  May 14, 2010, 01:43:44 pm
  • It's over! We won!
    • SITE BANNED
Requesting you change the topic title to something far less controversial that won't involve people giving you shit.

KoF is more technical than SF. It takes more skill to pull off the longer combos and is in general a cleverer game.
whatever the title KOF-tards would flame anyway. They are delusional loosers. I knew it before starting the thread.

I still made the thread because I expect some good posts that will prove the indisputable superiority of street fighter/6-buttons over Kof-crap/4-buttons.
Re: 4 buttons fighter is just not enough
#7  May 14, 2010, 01:47:05 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
but what id i like both games about as much and yet think that four buttons are better? :/

#8  May 14, 2010, 01:48:59 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran

whatever the title KOF-tards would flame anyway. They are delusional loosers. I knew it before starting the thread.

I still made the thread because I expect some good posts that will prove the indisputable superiority of street fighter/6-buttons over Kof-crap/4-buttons.

you're attempting to flame bait as usual, like the shithead you are.

FYI I play SF3, Blazblue and KOF regularly and I prefer 4 buttons.
#9  May 14, 2010, 01:54:53 pm
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
No, people would NOT flame anyway. You post respectfully and people will reply that way. You've just set yourself up for another topic of people giving you shit.

Well done. You can lock this now.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#10  May 14, 2010, 02:12:05 pm
  • It's over! We won!
    • SITE BANNED
No, people would NOT flame anyway. You post respectfully and people will reply that way. You've just set yourself up for another topic of people giving you shit.

Well done. You can lock this now.
changed the title, OP is respectful and makes a point, now expecting a cool debate despite the little skirmish with KOD. (KOD is a mere little kid easily offended over nothing overreacting and easily resort to flaming like a 8yo child)

will let open. but if you want to close anyway then so be it
Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:28:57 pm by Blade Art
#11  May 14, 2010, 02:15:56 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
There is no "Superior" button scheme, because as long as the general gameplay is good, it's fine.
Some games go for a simple 3 button punch/kick/special scheme, and they're fine.
Others go for light/medium/strong scheme (no difference between punch and kick) and they're fine too.
It's the overall mechanics which make a gameplay interesting, not just the fact it has 3, 4 or 6 buttons.

Saying 6 buttons > 4 buttons just because it offers more possibilities is just retarded.
Using this argument, then I would say that 20 buttons > 6 buttons. Simple, use your keyboard :
- Q W E R T Y U I O P for the punches.
- A S D F G H J K L ; for kicks.
Each button from left to right would be a more powerful attack. Q would be a little slap, while P would be a gigantic smash with two punches. That would definitely make the gameplay better, since it increases exponentially the array of gameplay, the priorities conflicts, the combos available and the overall strategical aspect, and interest. :wink3:
See how bad your argument is !

Conclusion : a gameplay with 3 buttons can be much more interesting than a 200+ buttons gameplay, because all the mechanics (super jump, combo system, parry, counter, focus attack, dodge, evade, guard break, T.O.P, etc.) count more than simply the number of buttons.
#12  May 14, 2010, 02:20:30 pm
why did you waste your time?
not enough people playing with your privates today?
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#13  May 14, 2010, 02:25:11 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
I like 6 button SF game, since I like playing with my reflex and like to implement my own combo pattern, but 4 button games you chose as example is not a good choice to compare the 6 button betterness with, since KoF has more complex gameplay in other form like small jump, roll, dodge, so gameplaywise SF is more straight forward.
I like SF better, still. but graphically I prefer SNK's
#14  May 14, 2010, 02:28:34 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
I like SF and other Capcom games, but a 6 button scheme increases the odd of having normals that don't get much use compared to the advantages of others. If you need variety outside a 4-button scheme there's always command normals.

Also, a 6-button scheme practically forces the use of an alternative joypad or joystick in order to play properly - personally it still feels damn weird to use the shoulder buttons just to access more regular attacks - so a default controller cripples your game experience with such a game.

The two buttons used for extra normal attacks which might not even be used that often could be used for other functions common in the game so that they wouldn't require double buttons presses, such as rolls, focus attacks, throws, etc...

There are some specific cases where 6 buttons have advantages, like special moves with 3 variations (ex: Yamazaki's QCB-punch), but unless the character has lots of moves, that usually isn't hard to apply on a 4-button configuration.
#15  May 14, 2010, 02:32:54 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
To each his own.
#16  May 14, 2010, 02:34:37 pm
  • It's over! We won!
    • SITE BANNED
There is no "Superior" button scheme, because as long as the general gameplay is good, it's fine.
Some games go for a simple 3 button punch/kick/special scheme, and they're fine.
Others go for light/medium/strong scheme (no difference between punch and kick) and they're fine too.
It's the overall mechanics which make a gameplay interesting, not just the fact it has 3, 4 or 6 buttons.

Saying 6 buttons > 4 buttons just because it offers more possibilities is just retarded.
Using this argument, then I would say that 20 buttons > 6 buttons. Simple, use your keyboard :
- Q W E R T Y U I O P for the punches.
- A S D F G H J K L ; for kicks.
Each button from left to right would be a more powerful attack. Q would be a little slap, while P would be a gigantic smash with two punches. That would definitely make the gameplay better, since it increases exponentially the array of gameplay, the priorities conflicts, the combos available and the overall strategical aspect, and interest. :wink3:
See how bad your argument is !

Conclusion : a gameplay with 3 buttons can be much more interesting than a 200+ buttons gameplay, because all the mechanics (super jump, combo system, parry, counter, focus attack, dodge, evade, guard break, T.O.P, etc.) count more than simply the number of buttons.
I just said 6>4, where do I say the more the merrier. it's common sense too much button would generate confusion and be counterproductive. Altho 8 buttons should still be playable and more enjoyable than 6.

And I know game mechanics are an important factor (kof lacks any real mechanics btw) so you have to read in my OP that with similar game mechanics, 6>4.
#17  May 14, 2010, 02:35:56 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
And I know game mechanics are an important factor (kof lacks any real mechanics btw) so you have to read in my OP that with similar game mechanics, 6>4.

there you go again with your retarded comments, this thread would turn out nicely if you weren't such a humongous fanboy douchebag.
#18  May 14, 2010, 02:38:03 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
(kof lacks any real mechanics btw)
-Guardcancels
-dodge rolls
-knockback attack
-maxmode
-super and dreem cancers
-HSDM health limit
-team member switching

and many more in the diffrent games

now were the fuck is my coffee

#19  May 14, 2010, 02:40:41 pm
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
(KOD is a mere little kid easily offended over nothing overreacting and easily resort to flaming like a 8yo child)
How does that help your argument at all. Either post NICELY, or stop posting. This is your last warning.

(kof lacks any real mechanics btw)
-Guardcancels
-dodge rolls
-knockback attack
-maxmode
-super and dreem cancers
-HSDM health limit
-team member switching

and many more in the diffrent games

now were the fuck is my coffee
Missed armour mode, counter mode, SDM's. Dodge, reversals, multiple follow ups, 98's extra and advanced, power charge, strikers (they even included some odd emotion system for the strikers in 2k1)

#20  May 14, 2010, 02:42:07 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
More buttons = more useless normals.
In a game like SF for example you end up using only a few out of the 18 normal moves your characters.  And even then, they give these characters command normals as well!
A notable exception is Guile of course, whose lack of special moves is made up for with amazing normals all around.

So as far as number of buttons goes, I argue that less buttons tends to promote better game design.  (As if that was not a design choice already)

Also stop feeding the troll.