YesNoOk

Neo Geo Titles and Their Difficulty (Read 4902 times)

Started by asia_catdog_blue, November 26, 2010, 04:31:55 pm
Share this topic:
Neo Geo Titles and Their Difficulty
#1  November 26, 2010, 04:31:55 pm
  • Got a worse Birthday than that Pink Blob.
    • USA
I heard that Neo Geo Titles were very hard to near impossible to play, let alone master.

I bought Fatal Fury Special and Art of Fighting 2 from the Wii's Virtual Console. I can barely be the first enemy even on easy mode. I'm getting somewhat better... I think.

Were many SNK/Neo Geo games that frustratingly murderous to play and master back then and now...

...or do I just suck and fail?
Re: Neo Geo Titles and Their Difficulty
#2  November 26, 2010, 04:34:49 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
In your defense games back there were harder so we had to become good at them, now they have become way too lenient, like now, if you get killed you only have to restart the mission at worse, while in the old times we had to restart the whole game from stage 1. Now the difficulty/entertainment comes form other factors.
#3  November 26, 2010, 04:37:36 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
As you play them, you'll notice the CPU characters all fall in to little tricks.  That time was not just about spamming combos, it was more intelligent play (watch the opponent and take his openings to land a hit).
#4  November 26, 2010, 04:54:05 pm
  • SNK is life
^ This.

AOF2 indeed is hella hard, but the AI follows patterns that you need to learn, also you need to adapt to the gameplay, like "hit and get out of there" or "trip, then spirit charge, or taunt to take p2's spirit"

Play more.
#5  November 26, 2010, 07:12:47 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the aof games were especailly known for their ai being very pattern reliant, the fun on them was finding out the ai pattern and beating it, which made it a completely different experience from playing against a human, unlike other fighitng games in which the ais are like playing a watered down (or ifheis too bad a pwoered up) version of a human.

as an example most characters in aof 2 fall to this trick (except eiji) run to them, once you get close, grab , then get away a bit and do a fioreball as they are getting up, repeat.

in aof 1 todo would always get hit by the standing C (punch version) so you onyl had to stand here and punch as he came close, against jack you just had to hit him with standing C+B when eh got close so he would not grab you, eventually he would do his drop kick an you would be able to land a solid hit before he recovered, for lee you just had to jump over him and press C for the crossover. it goes all the way like that until mrbig/mr karate.
#6  November 26, 2010, 07:20:56 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
the aof games were especailly known for their ai being very pattern reliant, the fun on them was finding out the ai pattern and beating it, which made it a completely different experience from playing against a human, unlike other fighitng games in which the ais are like playing a watered down (or ifheis too bad a pwoered up) version of a human.

as an example most characters in aof 2 fall to this trick (except eiji) run to them, once you get close, grab , then get away a bit and do a fioreball as they are getting up, repeat.

in aof 1 todo would always get hit by the standing C (punch version) so you onyl had to stand here and punch as he came close, against jack you just had to hit him with standing C+B when eh got close so he would not grab you, eventually he would do his drop kick an you would be able to land a solid hit before he recovered, for lee you just had to jump over him and press C for the crossover. it goes all the way like that until mrbig/mr karate.

in Fatal fury 1, GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE! counters's EVERYTHING, even power waves's
#7  November 26, 2010, 07:25:51 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Aggressors of Dark Kombat. Hard as hell, especially when you don't know how the game works

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#8  November 27, 2010, 05:39:30 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII

in Fatal fury 1, GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE! counters's EVERYTHING, even power waves's

Yes he does. But you can get a double perfect on him by just jumping and grabbing him. Anything else you do he will conter.
#9  November 28, 2010, 12:32:57 am
  • Guess I'm here to stay so here's an avatar
TBH, I don't think the lower difficulty of recent games is necessarily a bad thing. For instance, I still have an irrational reluctance to play Sonic 2 even though I know full well that it's an amazing game, solely for the fact that when I was a kid, I'd get frustrated to no end. Playing the AI of SoulCalibur II also led me to ridiculously erroneous assumptions, such as thinking counter moves were worthless because the AI never fell for them.
And a sig while I'm at it. Also, I draw stuff.
Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:39:27 am by Lioyd
#10  November 28, 2010, 12:45:15 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
For Fatal Fury Special, setting the difficult to it's lowest setting turns off the mind reading AI.
#11  November 28, 2010, 01:12:48 am
  • Got a worse Birthday than that Pink Blob.
    • USA
For Fatal Fury Special, setting the difficult to it's lowest setting turns off the mind reading AI.
Mind reading? What, the very game itself reads and study every button imput one make?
#12  November 28, 2010, 01:13:58 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
No, more like it reacts to your moves the second you do them, and counters appropriately. See also: SSF2T and UMK3.
#13  November 28, 2010, 04:05:44 am
  • Guess I'm here to stay so here's an avatar
And MK2 (which did it ON TOP of the other cheats) and AOF2, and KOF95, and SS5S (FUCK YOU, ENJA), and Garou...Hell, I understand when they're arcade games, but you know the standards are fucked when an AI that supercancels counter jabs on reaction is regarded as good.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
And a sig while I'm at it. Also, I draw stuff.
Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:10:50 am by Lioyd
#14  November 28, 2010, 03:30:56 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
KoF EX2 Goenitz Kid, here's a big example of cheap bitch

But is easy to defeat him if you have Terry(jump S-Punch + Crouch S-Punch + S-Rising Tacke), Ralf(OMFG Infinite Gatling Punch = Perfect!) and Leona in your team

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SNKBoss
Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:07:41 pm by The Terminator X
#15  November 29, 2010, 04:32:33 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
Eternal Champions Challenge Of The Dark Side singlehandedly swipes all SNK titles in terms of difficulty

Don't get me wrong, I really do like the game, but the AI coupled with often-convulted and inconsistent move commands makes this a game I could never get above 'average' at
#16  November 29, 2010, 04:40:55 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
Eternal Champions Challenge Of The Dark Side singlehandedly swipes all SNK titles in terms of difficulty

Don't get me wrong, I really do like the game, but the AI coupled with often-convulted and inconsistent move commands makes this a game I could never get above 'average' at

SNK boss Syndrome, Fucking your Continues since 1991
#17  November 29, 2010, 05:52:01 pm
  • I'm Happy
Unlike video games today

You need to just keep playing the games, over and over again, to understand it. Just going through the first stage of a level isn't good enough. You have to keep repeating it. Try and understand the errors you made or understand the AI patterns.

King of Fighters 99' would be a good examples of what we're talking about. Krizalid for first time players would be hard because you don't understand him and it's the first time you fight him. You can't lie your way and say "OH I BEAT A KOF BOSS ON MY FIRST TRY LOL!!!" You need to keep losing, and understand his pattern. It took me like 1000 trys to beat him, and understand his pattern.

PSN: Cashman1242
Gamertag: Cashman124
#18  November 29, 2010, 08:19:13 pm
  • Fuck You.
no

use maxima at all times and spam his C attack at all times

autoguard against typhoon rage and dat uppercut makes maxima godtier and buttfucks the whole cast with divine impunity.
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#19  November 29, 2010, 10:03:17 pm
metal slug : i can't finish it in the arcades.
#20  November 29, 2010, 10:16:11 pm
  • SNK is life
Metal Slug 1 can be finished with only 1 credit. It's all about saving your grenades.

Metal Slug 2 - you'll need to continue around 5 times if you're pretty good.

Metal Slug 3 - around 20 continues :S