YesNoOk

Devon's 1.1 Creation Thread - Thanks for all the fish! (Read 304807 times)

Started by President Devon, July 14, 2014, 01:35:59 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Devon's 1.1 Creation Thread - UPCOMING: Street Fighter Remix Turbo
#361  April 03, 2018, 03:33:05 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I am in awe.
#362  April 04, 2018, 07:46:43 am
  • The answer lies. In the heart of battle.
    • France
    • nakutou@live.fr

#363  April 07, 2018, 12:24:01 pm
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
Design progress on Lifebars:
Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:02:18 pm by President Devon

lui

#364  April 07, 2018, 11:25:12 pm
    • USA
judging from that gameplay video ryu posted, i really hope it doesn't end up being like that in the final product.

it looks like all flash no substance. chain combo's and ex's out the wazoo plus fx assets that don't blend well together really doesn't bode well in my opinion
#365  April 08, 2018, 01:28:47 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
That's like judging a painting when you've only done the linework.

If you have better ideas for FX I'm all ears, characters aren't even in alpha yet so I'll take any suggestions.
Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:58:44 am by President Devon
#366  April 08, 2018, 04:42:26 am
  • Now with extra crispiness
    • Venezuela
So much stuff here looking amazing! Keep it up!

lui

#367  April 08, 2018, 05:52:45 am
    • USA
Not really judging, it's just my observations from the first trailer.

For fx I recommend to try reaching out to certain peeps about fx, I know memo can do some decent stuff, same thing with the gameplay suggestions too.

Imo the gameplay should embody the best of the SF series while still feeling like SF. So a slower paced game that's similar to alpha 2 and SF3 third strike that focuses on more a grounded meta that relies more on reads and a mix of defense and offensive rather than purely offensive like you described in your outlined ideas sounds good to me
#368  April 08, 2018, 07:00:04 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
I replied on impulse before. I have no further interest in talking mechanics until I'm further along with the screenpack and lifebar (although I do admit in retrospect posting the mechanics up invited that discussion).

I have a ton of time to work on this. It's cool.
Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:33:45 am by President Devon
#369  April 09, 2018, 01:48:11 pm
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
It's a remix for a reason, if the author likes it let it be. Imo, he could do alternate fx but I think it's fine. FX shouldn't affect the game play. Otherwise, I like where this is going. I honestly might come back after a long hiatus... lol.
#370  April 09, 2018, 11:50:00 pm
  • ★ Graphical Enthusiast ★
    • Japan
It's a remix for a reason, if the author likes it let it be. Imo, he could do alternate fx but I think it's fine. FX shouldn't affect the game play. Otherwise, I like where this is going. I honestly might come back after a long hiatus... lol.

Oh my god your alive! :D
#371  April 11, 2018, 04:49:14 pm
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand

Lifebar design tweak, got that megaman icon thing going on for win indicators.
#372  April 12, 2018, 04:08:08 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Looking forward to the completed product.
#373  April 12, 2018, 04:52:00 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
Awwww shit homie good to see you back.
#374  April 13, 2018, 04:23:25 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Yeah, I'm here and hopefully will do more in the future.
Re: Devon's 1.1 Creation Thread - Thanks for all the fish!
#375  September 04, 2018, 03:02:42 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
Hi guys, just thought I'd make a post about things goings on:

I've decided to (semi)retire from MUGEN, which may not surprise people because of the slowing of updates to my own work over the past year or so. It started off as a passionate hobby, I've always been one to try to find a way to sharpen my photoshop skills and with MUGEN I figured I could show that off at a consistent rate.

In the beginning there was so much to do for me because I wanted to learn more about the engine itself, my projects got bolder as I tinkered with the code seeing how far I could go, I enjoyed seeing people cheer me on, and I was always thrilled when I saw my lifebars in the screenshot thread, or my screenpack being used for shitty anime compilation #120 (srs guys MUGEN Tournament HD is my most popular screenpack by far), I released screenpack after screenpack, lifebar after lifebar in a 6 month period; my first two screenpacks got over 5000 views on youtube each on release, thus I felt I needed to keep a pace.

But I burned out fairly quickly, I found I could design something but never finish it. I found I hated coding certain things: The Versus screen was a problem. The Victory screen was a problem. I'd groan and roll my eyes once it came time to create system anims on lifebars. So I took a break from MUGEN while I worked IRL for a bit and came back with World Warrior X BE, even though I thought I'd return to normal I quickly found out that I still hated the things I hated and spun my wheels some more. WWXBE would be my last completed screenpack.

So yeah, I started designing a full game, or a compilation at the time. I figured I might need a bit of a change in philosophy and to adopt a "final goal" to reach for. This full game morphed over time, split into 2 projects, dropped, changed gameplay styles, spawned a team, used add004, dropped add004, adopted color schemes, dropped color schemes and after 2 years - Late-August 2018, four and a half months after I first announced Street Fighter Remix publicly - I found myself doing what I had done 100 times before; copying my Mugen 1.1 folder and starting again, opening a blank notepad and jotting down characters, who made them, who made the AI, who made any edits and which one of Tatsu's stages I'm assigning to them.

It hit me then that I really had gotten nowhere. I started the project 2 years ago, and there I was starting again. And that's it, that's my breaking point. I tried to tell myself "Oh well I'll just wait for Ikemen GO plus". But I realized that I'm just tired. It's no longer fun anymore. It's a chore. It got to the point where when people praised my work  instead of being proud I doubted them, and in my mind I took it as people taunting me or patronizing me. Comments about my work that were supposed to come off as a mere funny quip now confused me, and i'd get irrationally angered by it.

And that's why i'm hanging it up, I'm out of gas and I lost the fire a long time ago. If you guys want a decent 1.1 screenpack wait for spectra to release one lol, i'm out.

Anyway, here's a short list of people to thank, in no order of importance:

Drach1r: I can't thank you enough for that PM me sent me those years ago, I feel like you're my MUGEN dad after that PM and it really did drive me to go as far as I did.
Mugenguild staff: Thanks for the purple star, and thanks for hosting my website. It's in a shambles right now but I'll fix it up before Christmas.
Raz's discord people: I know the last few weeks on the discord I was a completely different person and maybe nigh unapproachable but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the other 18 months we hung out. I'll never forget the sweet memes or the gay shit we shared together. :crack_rock:
Walruslui, Kenshiro99 and the OPvsDBZ crew: I know I left the discord suddenly, but I felt my work was done and it was time to ride off into the sunset lol, thank you for meeting my rather concrete terms of conditions and putting up with my penchant for cherrypicking feedback. I really hope my end of the bargain holds up to the fantastic work the crew did and I can't wait to try out the game when it's released.
SOLIDUS SNAKE: Thanks for always supporting me in my ventures, sorry I never put your ninja on my suzaku stage lol.
Memo: You were always a cool dude to me, sorry I couldn't come through with the CVTW stuff, I wish you the best tho.
Vegaz: Dude your stages are all totally sweet, you were probably my biggest inspiration.
AVPBOY: Your stages are also sweet, and you were also a big inspiration.
OldGamer: I really enjoy your work. Thanks for the extra documentation on lifebars last year.
And everyone else in Mugenguild: Thanks for commenting, subscribing, criticizing and downloading my work.

Edit: I should mention I'm not leaving the guild, also I'm free for logo designs if you want one hit me up.
#376  September 04, 2018, 03:22:10 am
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
Another great loss.
I was looking, again for a screenpack and didn't found anything on my taste, I was thinking of you. xD
Stay strong, get some more energy and one day, we will beat the Mugen! :)

lui

#377  September 04, 2018, 03:22:42 am
    • USA
No problem man :)

thank you for all the stuff you've contributed to both our game and in general, you sure have contributed so much in so little time!

take care of yourself man, you deserve it

PS: will you release any of the stuff you didn't finish? i'd love to mess around with some of your design stuff
#378  September 04, 2018, 03:58:55 am
  • Raging Fist
May you find true happiness in life Devon. You are truly one hell of a creator for the guild and I hope for the day you might return.
#379  September 04, 2018, 08:44:47 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
PS: will you release any of the stuff you didn't finish? i'd love to mess around with some of your design stuff
I plan to release certain designs yes. It will all come with the site redesign I think.
#380  September 04, 2018, 09:22:44 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Where will you go from here?