YesNoOk

X-Men Vs Street Fighter Title, Options, and Character Select Screen (Read 5453 times)

Started by Plum, December 10, 2019, 07:29:24 am
Share this topic:
X-Men Vs Street Fighter Title, Options, and Character Select Screen
#1  December 10, 2019, 07:29:24 am
  • Variables > Boyfriends
Does anyone know where I could find a complete rip of X-men Vs Street Fighter? I wanted to recreate it as a screenpack for m.u.g.e.n since I realllly like the layout of the game. All I can find are portraits and a few character sprites that... don't really help at all. If no one has them, could somehow link me to a tutorial to show me how to rip a ps1 iso myself so I can get everything from it?

I'm pretty motivated to do it after working in m.u.g.e.n for a couple of years now, I think it'll be a good gift for the community, maybe even an X-Mas gift if it's not as much of a hassle as I think it'll be.^^"

/Any/ help would be great, thanks in advance.
Re: X-Men Vs Street Fighter Title, Options, and Character Select Screen
#2  December 10, 2019, 02:43:26 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
UI stuff rarely gets ripped, the focus is always on characters.

I don't have a tutorial, but I do have a l'il bit of experience on the subject of ripping assets for screenpacks.

First of all, you don't want to rip from a PS1 iso, except in the rare cases the PS1 version had some bonus. The PS1 ports had downscaled sprites and incomplete animations due to system limitations, you want to rip straight from a CPS-1/CPS-2 arcade emulator.

I'd recommend you to use WinKawaks. It's an older emulator that has fallen out of relevance, but has some very beginner friendly sprite ripping tools built in that let you disable character sprites and layers.

#3  December 10, 2019, 08:21:44 pm
  • Variables > Boyfriends
Whoa thanks! Had no idea the PS1 was an inferior port and I'll try out this emulator, I've always just used Mame, but if this older one can make rips easier I'll gladly give it a shot. *sigh* Guess I'll be doing it the manual way with animget. I didn't expect a response so soon, so thanks again.
#4  December 10, 2019, 09:23:11 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Kawaks lets you pause and advance frame by frame, as well as taking fullcolor png screenshots at the game's original resolution. If you're patient you can get way better results by taking a snapshot every frame than by using animget. Plus, it's a great guide to time animations later down the line.
#5  December 13, 2019, 12:39:20 am
  • Variables > Boyfriends
Okay so I messed around with it for a few hours and I haven't figured out how you isolated that pink area, it's exactly what I need, I was inside of the shot factory and I don't know the exact settings to filter pink like that.
Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:52:35 am by Plum
#6  December 13, 2019, 02:02:28 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
For Kawaks, Enter allows you to pause the game, then Shift + Space goes to the next frame.
Other useful things that Kawaks offers:
- Change the BG color (Video > Set background color...) usually magenta is the best to spot transparent areas;
- Ctrl + P saves a screenshot to the "capture" folder (where Kawaks is installed);
- Ctrl + F opens the shot factory window, which allows you to enable and disable layers;
#7  December 14, 2019, 01:06:05 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
@plum:

After changing the background color from default to magenta in the main menu, you'll have to disable sprites and layers on shot factory. If you want this:

you'll need a set up like this:

the sprites rows change from frame to frame, so you'll have to activate and reactivate them constantly depending on what you want to rip (checking "blink selected" is always useful).
#8  December 15, 2019, 04:53:15 am
  • Variables > Boyfriends
I tried that actually, for about ten minutes and I couldn't get it to look that clean, even when I unchecked them all, I'm using the Eur version on WinKawaks.
#9  December 16, 2019, 08:34:09 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Did you scroll to make sure the were no unchecked boxes on the right? Did you also uncheck the 8x8 and 16x16 layer boxes?

Not sure what else could be going on in here. If you'd like, drop by our discord and ping me or ask someone else more experienced in sprite ripping like JustnoPoint.