YesNoOk

should we start a new way to post released chars? (Read 2636 times)

Started by argyone, January 21, 2014, 01:58:28 am
Share this topic:
should we start a new way to post released chars?
#1  January 21, 2014, 01:58:28 am
  • AfroSamurai
  • Nothing personal. It’s just revenge.
    • Germany
im not a coder or creator but im playing mugen since dos mugen time and one thing keeps me annoying over and over again...
let us make an example..hmm..
im trying to make my own compilation were everything fits together..so lets say just Capcom/marvel/DC comic chars
then i would probably like to have the same gameplayfor every char.right?
it sure explains itself that i wouldnt download a kof char with 4 button gameplay then.right?

so everday, every week there are tons of releases and its hard to overlook everything so im searching in the release section and seeing this (f.eg)

Ryu by xxxx released
then i look at the topic where it says :

-attack xy fixed
-added blabla

the point is : on the first look i cant figure out what ''style'' this character is.
ive seen many edit chars that have 6 button gameplay like mvc1 then there are others were the sprites look like capcom but the gameplay is kof-ish

what if we start posting like this:
--------------------------------------------------------
Ryu by xxxx released

screenshot
(x-button gameplay) mostly similar to (mvc/kof/own style etc)

changelog: blablabla

video etc etc etc
-----------------------------------------------------------
and then we link all this from now on to the database so if someone is searching for lets say kof-edits with 6 button gameplay he can set the search filter to : sorted by gameplay

most people would explore new characters they dont even knew of and they wouldnt have to search through this mixed up system, download every char based on his or her  judging by his feeling about the screenshot/or video and everyone would be much more happier :)

its not that much work to at least remind the people to describe the gameplay style when they open a new release thread and not just telling us from which game the character is..

what u think about that idea?

stay blessed and thanks for your attention :)
Re: should we start a new way to post released chars?
#2  January 21, 2014, 01:59:47 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
It's usually easier to just try the character out and see what 'style' they are rather than judge by screenshots or whatever.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#3  January 21, 2014, 02:07:34 am
I guess it would be nice, but good luck finding someone who will take the time to do that. Creators can post their creations how they want... of course it helps to be detailed, but they put all their time into making the character, I think they should be able to announce their work the way they want.

... kof-edits with 6 button gameplay...

Slightly off tangent, but I don't get the appeal of KoF chars with a 6-button scheme... it just doesn't work (or even look right). :P
#4  January 21, 2014, 02:31:17 am
  • AfroSamurai
  • Nothing personal. It’s just revenge.
    • Germany
nahhww :D i only meant this as an example
hmmm... but it cant be that hard for authors to write in the release thread:

mostly like mvc or kof or whatever... -_-
like there are rules for requestion threads couldnt we make a new rule to PLEASE describe at least in 3 words how the gameplay is?
because I dont want to search for 30 min on chinese sites just to download a char and recognize AFTER dwld and playing that this isnt even the style ive searched!
noone does...
just look at the thousands of ken's and ryu's..
is is really that hard to write : mx gameplay or kof style or mostly accurate to sf 2 or at least anything about the style?
should i download 3000 ryu's just to know that half of them werent even mvc-ish when im searching for mvc?
c'mon thats stupid... -_-
#5  January 21, 2014, 02:41:17 am
it would be nice if release threads were more informative, but enforcing this would be a pain in the ass
#6  January 30, 2014, 09:48:09 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
it would be nice if release threads were more informative, but enforcing this would be a pain in the ass

I concur. One thing that still aggravates me and always will are release threads with no screenshots. People who forget to post links usually fix that quickly. But screenshots?? Nope. Still a common issue. Too bad we can't address that.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#7  February 01, 2014, 01:42:53 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
well you can, you can download the char take a screenshot put it up and  edit the first post to include it.

its just unreasonable to expect someone to do that for every thread.
#8  February 01, 2014, 03:45:51 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
You know what grinds my gears?  When a char is advertised as being MVC2 style
and its a 6 button fighter!  MVC2 was clearly a 4 button fighter wtf...
Why not just say it has  "custom MVC gameplay".
#9  February 01, 2014, 03:46:40 am
  • tired
Because almost nobody cares to be accurate in their classifications from what I've seen. It's nothing new.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#10  February 01, 2014, 03:55:15 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#11  February 01, 2014, 03:55:46 am
  • tired
One vote from me to have Sai be the official release janitor. :P
#12  February 01, 2014, 04:05:04 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Isn't that what Tamez used to do?? I ask because of his "Mugen Janitor" sig.

#13  February 01, 2014, 04:06:13 am
  • tired
Nope. It's just a sig. :P
#14  February 01, 2014, 04:12:09 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Ah. OK.

Reading on this a little more, I think the way releases are categorized (stage, character, etc.) do the job just fine. It's up to the creator as to how descriptive they are in their release thread and how accurate they want to be. And everyone will have their own thoughts as to, say, what a SF2 character should be. I personally like the 6 button MvC2 release. I consider Super Turbo to be my preferred SF2 style. But someone else would think differently and that's where the debate would come from.

The release sections feels just fine to me.

#15  February 01, 2014, 04:29:45 am
  • I work at Elecbyte as a sexy janitor.
    • USA
    • tamez.smeenet.org
Isn't that what Tamez used to do?? I ask because of his "Mugen Janitor" sig.

No, I've never been part of the Guild staff.  One of the request section mods suggested it once, but it got shot down. 
My janitor persona is Titiln's creation from the Halloween challenge.  I just liked it and decided to keep it. 
#16  February 01, 2014, 04:32:37 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
i wouldn't want it any other way you sexy janitor you <3