YesNoOk

Random Topic V10 (Read 1866597 times)

Started by Orochi Gill, July 09, 2016, 05:00:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Random Topic V10
#3381  August 27, 2019, 06:19:16 pm
    • USA
Alright, so not random, specifically memes. Thanks didn’t know.
#3382  August 27, 2019, 06:25:09 pm
No, actual discussions that don't already fit in other existing topics. Not random insanity.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#3383  August 27, 2019, 06:28:57 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Random, in that the post your picture thread is an actual thread and asking for that out of the blue in other threads is just as weird as it is everywhere else
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#3384  August 27, 2019, 06:34:24 pm
    • USA
Alright gotcha. Only see those that come up on the feed.

So while you are here Byakko, could I ask you a question? That could lead to a discussion potentially? You know Japanese right? Were you self taught? School? How did you learn? Is this okay? I’ve seen you transcribe scans and the like. I’m interested in transcribing some neo-geo CDs, KOF stuff. Specifically talking about transcription though.

Like these. Also the special edition of 94 Rebout, how it has that retelling of the plot. Anyone ever seen these?
#3385  August 27, 2019, 06:55:56 pm
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3386  August 27, 2019, 06:59:55 pm
Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:03:31 pm by 地獄の花
#3387  August 27, 2019, 07:02:40 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I think we can all agree that Godzilla is at the very least from Australia
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#3388  August 27, 2019, 07:13:34 pm
So while you are here Byakko, could I ask you a question? That could lead to a discussion potentially? You know Japanese right? Were you self taught? School? How did you learn? Is this okay? I’ve seen you transcribe scans and the like.
Entirely self-taught, I started when I was like 11 y.o. when some guy in my town was selling his Japanese edition of the Dragon Ball manga. I wanted to read it, I learned it little by little over the years. All in all I took like one week of actual lessons. Since then I read a bunch of light novels and I've gone to Japan a couple times - but now it's been years since I've had real practice with actual Japanese people.

I’m interested in transcribing some neo-geo CDs, KOF stuff. Specifically talking about transcription though.

Like these. Also the special edition of 94 Rebout, how it has that retelling of the plot. Anyone ever seen these?
It's not particularly difficult but the problem is that those things take an extremely long time. Scans and short lists are very easy because it only takes a few minutes, but this here is a full time thing, it really doesn't work if you try to translate a couple minutes worth of text at a time in the evening. Worse, if you try to do a bunch of those like that, it becomes more and more tedious and you get really fed up after a while, like overeating to the point of bursting your stomach. A while back, I tried a long video of interviews where people talked a lot, it took me months to get halfway through it minute by minute, and then I just gave up because I lost interest in what they were talking about and I felt it was going nowhere.
Even this video here seems easy because it's just the same list of "name / birthday / country / likes / dislikes" for everyone, but then there's a back and forth for little thing you don't get on the spot and have to look up over and again (for Iori's "important thing", I have no idea what the hell is a ガボール, so I have to look it up and it's some kind of necklace jewelry). One video is fine, but if you have a list of things like that, it'll be a pain.
That's exactly why no one does it...
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:20:14 pm by Byakko
#3389  August 27, 2019, 07:25:22 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Scans and short lists are very easy because it only takes a few minutes,

I remember there was one gantz chapter (oni arc) that got translated in like two minutes because it was mostly dialog less and the few blurbs that it had were the katakana for "haha(as in panting)" ending with onyl one line of dialog ""want to fight" at the very last page.
#3390  August 27, 2019, 07:30:02 pm
    • USA
Dang, that's what I figured. I'm trying to do the same thing, but haven't been able to dedicate as much time to it. I postponed my trip to Japan as I wanted to learn a bit more of the language first. What specifically worked best for you? Or anyone can chime in when trying to learn another language. Especially as you said you were self taught methods are different for everyone. Might sound silly, but after watching/listening to so much anime have been able to pick up on basic phrases etc.  It's a lot of misc stuff in that video, but I aim to document it all. You've actually encouraged me more if time is the only downside.

While on the subject of that (and please if this is the wrong place for me to be saying this all this, let me know.) Chamat has been trying to come up with an easier method of learning Japanese & Kanji, would be cool to hear your input. Right now, I'm trying to learn using this.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

A video of this method.

This is the other kof thing I was talking about btw. My goal is to transcribe these and build a giant archive. There is one for every arc, I believe. They are just synopsis for the most part. The biggest mystery for me though.. I want the real story as written by the source. The direct translation can't be that bad in the English releases.

Also, were you guys aware that King of Fighters Kyo is completely translated in Spanish?
Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:36:59 pm by 2Dee4ever
#3391  August 27, 2019, 07:47:20 pm
man i remember really wanting to learn japanese back in my teens because i really wanted to read an unscaned weird mecha manga called kakugo no susume. i never followed through.
my advice to you if you want to learn it; you better have a good reason to dedicate yourself to it. otherwise you're gonna drop it as soon as it gets tedious.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3392  August 27, 2019, 08:29:02 pm
    • USA
I do, I plan to move there once I ETS. I specifically want to rewrite most of, if not all of the sagas pertaining to those series. Originally for a game, but now I'm dropping mugen in favor of learning Japanese to create a new video series. Basically the goal is to stretch what little knowledge is available into a concise plot. Clean up all the plot holes, tie things together. Very little head canon, if possible. Though they could easily say, retcon Kaede being connected to Rock's family, etc etc. So the jin scrolls.. Kaede's old source of power eh? haha I just need all the "facts" and they are scattered about/(un)mistranslated etc.
#3393  August 27, 2019, 08:35:15 pm
Dang, that's what I figured. I'm trying to do the same thing, but haven't been able to dedicate as much time to it. I postponed my trip to Japan as I wanted to learn a bit more of the language first. What specifically worked best for you?
For reading, first thing is obviously to really drill the basic kana (katakana / hiragana), it's still the most common thing you'll see. After that, learning to just recognize by sight a bunch of common kanjis is a great help - even if you don't know how to pronounce it (knowing all the kun-yomi and on-yomi in all situations is just way too much anyway, you'll never make it). Even in complex words, if you recognize the first or second kanji, you at least have an idea of what this is about. When you know a bunch of very common kanjis (station, bridge, shop/market...), you can navigate much more easily by sight.
After that, really understand the structure of a sentence with the particles. The big difficulty that Europeans / Americans have with Japanese is that the structure is the complete opposite of what they're used to, it looks so remote and foreign that people will often complain that it's too hard - and that baffles me because I find that Japanese is by a long shot the easiest language I know, writing excluded (not that I know a whole lot of languages). All it means is that it's very hard to come up with a sentence in English, then try to translate it in your head piece by piece, and figure out halfway through that you need to completely reverse it (or the other way around, if you try to translate the Japanese words in your head one by one and then you flip it all to build the English sentence in your head). Just get used to completely restarting your sentence from the middle and don't let it frustrate you. If you recognize which word is the verb, what's an adjective etc., and also recognize where each word stops even if there's no space between them, you can know what word is important in the sentence and what word you can skip because it's fluff / padding. Generally speaking, you'll see a lot of ads and signs in the street that use complete phrases, and it's great training to be able to read them as you pass them, or at least figure out what the sentence is about by sight.
For the vocabulary, it's all about getting used to it. You don't really need to learn thousands of kanjis by heart before doing anything, kanjis will just come to you as you keep seeing them in different phrases, you'll recognize them more often if you actually try to identify them (but always second guess yourself for that, since the slightest change in radical can make a completely different word). Just always keep in mind that there's no "this word in this language = that word in that language", that's just not how languages work. Context is everything, and it can change the meaning of a word you thought you knew from something else, because a word becoming popular in a certain context as the language evolves can be completely different from the English word you thought it translated to. Always second guess yourself with the help of context, and always take a step back multiple times to recognize the sentence structure rather than get upset because you're staring at a single word/adjective and you can't figure out how it's built.

For talking, just learn. the. pronunciation. of. each. syllable. Do that once, and it never. ever. changes. There's no diphthong, no case where a vowel is pronounced a different way from completely arbitrary reason depending on the consonants next to it. Do spelling exercises, read out loud the syllables one by one. Get used to it. Learn it by heart.
No excuse for a broken reading that tries to force the English way to put the EMphaSIze on a speCIfic SYllable halfway through the word. It's not a fucking roller coaster with the volume going up and down at random. Learn to read the word with a completely flat tone and each syllable lasts the exact same duration.The only exception ever is when you're singing. Or if you're a drunken Yakuza.
(well, that's not true at all, but you really shouldn't be learning it any other way early on).

I've learned the bulk of it over my school years, back when the Internet wasn't nearly as effective (before Google), and it took a very long time of building up my habit of recognizing the sentence at a glance. Hell, learning to recognize names was hard. But it was all with manga, pop songs and anime until I was out of school, so don't let people tell you this is lame or not realistic. It's completely okay to learn a language by watching TV, even if people don't talk as clearly in real life. Everything else is building up your vocabulary merely out of habit (just keep close to you whatever is your favorite tool to know how to pronounce a particular word, and use it all the time).

If you're a good tourist (don't be noisy, don't shout on your phone or put up loud music, don't throw trash on the ground and keep it on you because you will NOT find any trash can unless it's right next to the vending machine, don't eat/drink while walking, don't take up a lot of space spreading your shit or at least apologize about it), then people are often very nice. Being a good tourist is very important. The stereotype that Japanese people are racist is mostly if you're an awful shithead of a selfish tourist. Bonus points if you're good and then feel super ashamed when you return to your home country because it's dirty and people are assholes.
There never was a time when I remotely looked like I was looking for something, map in hands, and someone didn't offer to show me the way in (broken) English within a couple of minutes. The first time I was in a subway station, fresh off the train from the airport to Osaka and I couldn't figure out how a Japanese subway station worked (basically the opposite of a subway station in Paris), a sweeper came and explained to me how to find my way. Another time, a station manager completely explained and demonstrated to me how to use the ticket vending machine. If it's not too far off, people will even offer to walk you there. I've talked (in Japanese) to a couple of monks telling me about the history of their temple, a pharmacist and an office lady like that on a few occasions (but I was completely lost in a discussion with the driver in a taxi ride in Hiroshima, accent too hard). Other than that, in shops, cashiers will almost exclusively talk to you in short English (except if they're just telling you "it costs xxx yens" and nothing else) even if you're talking to them in Japanese, so there's that. You can order your McDonald's menu in Japanese and they'll tell you the menu options in English without batting an eye.

From a quick look at that method in your video, it looks nice. Songs are very easy to learn from.
Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:07:31 pm by Byakko
#3394  August 27, 2019, 09:22:01 pm
    • USA
It’s interesting you say this as my gf was telling me all about it, she went last year. How clean and organized it is. I’d never fear anything negative happening ie racism etc. It’s way worse over here tbh. I’ve also seen that they really respect you for attempting to learn their language etc. You’ve added a bit more, will try to catch up. Thanks for taking the time to type it all out, I live for this kinda in depth wisdom.
#3395  August 27, 2019, 10:13:57 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
For fucks sake..

Where the hell are the mods? They told you to cut this shit out over and over again.

I told you I don't care and to fuck off.

Still you keep going.

Mods what the fuck?

Orochigill, jmorphman, iced. Anyone?
I'd hate to restart all this shit, given Foobs already handled this, and especially since there's another discussion going on right now, but... this requires a more forceful approach.

It would be helpful for you to remember a couple things:

- It takes two to tango; if you have someone on your ignore list, stop responding to them. Stop reading their posts. They're hidden for a reason!
 - You also received a stern warning from the moderators, and you would do well to recall that your post was the one that got deleted. You really shouldn't push this any further.

It’s interesting you say this as my gf was telling me all about it, she went last year. How clean and organized it is. I’d never fear anything negative happening ie racism etc. It’s way worse over here tbh.
I've heard some horror stories, but generally it's from people who have actually moved there and are not just visiting short-term as a tourist. It's definitely a different experience when compared to the US or elsewhere, but it does still exist.
#3396  August 27, 2019, 10:48:58 pm
    • USA

For talking, just learn. the. pronunciation. of. each. syllable. Do that once, and it never. ever. changes. There's no diphthong, no case where a vowel is pronounced a different way from completely arbitrary reason depending on the consonants next to it. Do spelling exercises, read out loud the syllables one by one. Get used to it. Learn it by heart.
No excuse for a broken reading that tries to force the English way to put the EMphaSIze on a speCIfic SYllable halfway through the word. It's not a fucking roller coaster with the volume going up and down at random. Learn to read the word with a completely flat tone and each syllable lasts the exact same duration.The only exception ever is when you're singing. Or if you're a drunken Yakuza.
(well, that's not true at all, but you really shouldn't be learning it any other way early on).
Is this what is referred to as a Kansai accent? lol
I know, not really, but when you were talking about pronunciation, made me think of that. All in all, very sound advice. Honestly trying it the cram session way has not been working for me, that feels forced. Being immersed in it however is much less stressful. I think I can really apply all of this to make it less hard on myself. Not worry so much about learning as fast as possible. Man, just thinking, never having to wait for things to localize is a dream come true ha. Man you guys have a lot of knowledge, wish you would talk about this stuff more often.

It’s interesting you say this as my gf was telling me all about it, she went last year. How clean and organized it is. I’d never fear anything negative happening ie racism etc. It’s way worse over here tbh.
I've heard some horror stories, but generally it's from people who have actually moved there and are not just visiting short-term as a tourist. It's definitely a different experience when compared to the US or elsewhere, but it does still exist.
Have you ever been? I mean, I don't really know anyones backstory, nationality, where you've been etc. What kind of stories? I used to worry about that. Why I know it kinda goes without saying that stereotypes do exist, I tend to not focus on them. I've watched a few videos on YouTube, various different people talking about their experiences(definitely never a bad idea to research where you plan to travel). I've heard stories about going to specific restaurants etc. It being split between the traditional/western influence. It's crazy how many people move there not learning the language, I couldn't do it. Also considered teaching English over there at one point. There is this one series where this guy goes around asking people what they think of foreigners etc, but again its not the entire populations generalization.

Then I play Yakuza, Judgement, etc.. lol
I know its a game, but that stuff is so cool. Funny enough, that made me look into the "real" Yakuza, documentaries and ended up learning about all that.

lui

#3397  August 27, 2019, 11:08:55 pm
    • USA
As someone who has lived in South East Asia for half my life, i can say that locals do have a certain generalized view of other ethnicites in most asian countries not really due to racism, mostly just due to the media and content surrounding said countries being displayed in various ways.

Its not always negative or positive and it never really hindered my living experiences but i always was at the very least aware of it and it wasnt something that i really forgot about. It certainly is a different experience from the US but its not always bad. It really is dependant on who you know, where you live and most importantly, *how* you interact with the area you are at
#3398  August 27, 2019, 11:16:57 pm
    • USA
Oh yeah, well you probably have way more experience then. I wouldn't want that to ruin my experience is all. I feel like its more unlikely for you to find trouble if you aren't seeking it, but obviously things do happen. You still live over there right now? How is that? What ethnicity are you?

lui

#3399  August 27, 2019, 11:44:27 pm
    • USA
Im filipino/japanese.

I was there for a while again this year actually studying in the phillipenes and vacationing in osaka. Came back around august 2nd.

Phillipenes right now is extremely hectic in the main cities moreso than usual due to protests and political stuff going on but my time there was very tiring as its very obvious who is a foreigner there and people will always ask you something about it. Children usually are excited by people from other countries which is nice, but i find that older people ask either really dumb or actually obnoxious questions, which i do know is not really out of malice so i never really took too much offense to it. It was always safer to stick in a group than be alone as my friend went out one night and had some really weird people approach him at a park alone.There was one city that actually has a law against going out too late at night and you can get fined by walking around with headphones around the town as well.

Japan was pretty much the opposite in most cases, its nice and quiet where i was at and people are more or less not really privy about what you do as long as you pretty much do what Byakko says especially in public areas such as malls or sidewalks. I found people making some really funny faces to me when i ate some food while walking one time for example.
#3400  August 28, 2019, 12:49:11 am
Is this what is referred to as a Kansai accent? lol
The Kansai thing is a dialect more than just an accent, you have actual words and conjugations that change and sound weird the first time you hear it (and have no idea what word it is), but you get used to it. This particular one was more of a rural / mumbling accent.
Honestly trying it the cram session way has not been working for me, that feels forced.
Yeah, IMO there's just way too much to learn anyway, no amount of cramming will get you everything significant. It can work for specific subjects at a time, like, learning all the vocabulary related to the work place, learning everything about how to travel. Other than that, there are lessons that you just can't get by learning on the fly, like learning the different ways to count things - and learning that there are so many ways to count things. You can't pick that up in the street, it's way too confusing to recognize the cases, you need an actual lesson for that stuff.

It was always safer to stick in a group than be alone as my friend went out one night and had some really weird people approach him at a park alone.
Hah, when I was there visiting a friend, we went to Kabukicho during the day (the red light district), it was totally normal, but when the Sun started to set, my friend was pulling my sleeve and saying "hey, we need to go now, really, right now, it's getting dark, we really need to not be there at night".

I found people making some really funny faces to me when i ate some food while walking one time for example.
Yeah, that's something that a lot of countries really don't expect, no one thinks twice about eating a quick snack while walking, but it really doesn't look good to them. You won't find trash cans because there's no need for them, you are expected to keep the sidewalk clean and not need a place to throw a plastic wrap away... Except next to vending machines, you buy it, you either put it away or you consume it on the spot and you immediately throw the bottle / wrap away.
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:05:07 am by Byakko