YesNoOk

How do you think feedback should be given? (Read 17426 times)

Started by Sir Ghostler, March 01, 2016, 08:46:18 am
Share this topic:
How do you think feedback should be given?
#1  March 01, 2016, 08:46:18 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia
There are a lot of members of the community who give good quality feedback to a number of creations from time to time. Throughout it, there are a lot of different opinions on how said feedback should be given to creators, whether they are new or if they have been present in the community for a reasonable amount of time.

Some members prefer to be blunt about their feedback and thoughts about a creation, some just give the bare-bones feedback with nothing else to say, some are harsh with their words and some members just sugarcoat it.

A lot of you at one stage or another have seen debate and arguments about whether blunt or harsh feedback helps the creator or ultimately is detrimental to them, the same applies to when feedback is sugarcoated.

How do you think people should give feedback? This isn't a thread to change or flame someone else's views on the matter, it's just to gain insight into their opinions.

Discuss.
Re: How do you think feedback should be given?
#2  March 01, 2016, 09:43:27 am
  • If you want peace...Prepare for War
    • USA
Feedback should be exactly that. Feedback. It depends on what you're offering it for, but if it's a critique on the technicals of something like coding, it should be offered by someone who knows what they're talking about and can possibly assist or offer incite to fixes or improvements. Someone offering feedback should also try to imagine what the creator of something is going for and try to offer advice to help them reach their goal in a more successful way, or at least offer more ideas based on the creators own thoughts and ideas, instead of having your own opinion on something and how it should be based solely on preference and biased opinions. If someone is trying to make Wolverine play like a DBZ Tenkaichi character, don't tell them they shouldn't, or that it's bad and you haven't even played DBZ TK yourself. Help them make Wolverine play like a DBZ TK character if you know how. If you don't, don't say anything. If you do, have it be ideas that you can offer, or something else at least remotely useful to the creator. Posting opinions is a pointless endeavor, unless your simply offering appreciation. Even too much of that can hinder a creator. My friend is literally the best guitarist I've ever seen, and I've seen tons of the greats, including Dimebag Darrell, and David Gilmore, and he smokes them. Not a bias statement either. He gets pissed off at me if I tell him he's amazing at guitar too often cause he says you can only be so good if you're not humble. Meaning, if you tell someone they're awesome too much and give them too much praise, they might begin to agree, and will stop trying to be better or try new things. Anyways, enough of my rambling. Everyone should know how to offer feedback in a socially acceptable manner. It really isn't rocket science to get your point across on something, and not be a dick about it. I've seen it done. Ask yourself if you respond better to someone being cool and respectable to you when they talk to you, or if you prefer it when people laugh and talk shit and belittle you. Whatever your answer is, do that with everyone else, and there should be nothing but steady progress in the future for everyone, assuming you prefer the non-douche bag path.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, for the ones receiving said feedback, don't be so sensitive if someone says they don't like something or if someone offers a new idea to try. If you can't handle someone not liking every thing you release in the public 100%, don't offer it to a bunch of people that breath feedback whenever something is released. That's kind of what we do here in these old release forums of ours. It's just how it goes. I can understand getting pissed if someone is a total prick about their views and feel like sharing them with you, but if it's just someone saying, "sprites could use improvement", or "his leg looks weird in that shot" or whatever, grow a backbone for Christ's sake. I've seen authors pack up and leave just cause others said it wasn't accurate or some minor insult about one of their creations or something, and it just makes me lose all respect for them. Dust those chumps off, and keep improving.
Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:53:17 am by shulbocka
#3  March 01, 2016, 12:32:19 pm
How do you think people should give feedback?

Depends on the creator. I believe one should never be harsh to a newb because it comes across as being unwelcoming. Being that way with feedback isn't my thing because ultimately, it's a hobby on a engine with silly edits and cheap god-mods among other things.

I also think it depends on how receptive a creator is and the willingness to improve their works, beginners and experts alike. Naturally people will be more inclined to assist someone who acknowledges people's advice and suggestions. I'm gonna guess this thread was partly inspired by a certain someone making characters again ( :P ). I just ignore it all because it's evident that person in question enjoys the creations as is and other do too (abhorrent quality notwithstanding), which is all that matters at the end of the day. Just feel good knowing that no logical person would say that those creations are done better than chars that went through more refinement.
Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:41:42 pm by GS-Niitris
#4  March 01, 2016, 05:26:16 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
feedback's golden rule:
2 positive items per 1 negative item
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#5  March 01, 2016, 05:43:53 pm
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
IMO, many (and I say many) creators should think about how feedback should be received instead.
#6  March 01, 2016, 05:53:05 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
#7  March 01, 2016, 05:58:19 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
IMO, many (and I say many) creators should think about how feedback should be received instead.
this is an issue as well, but it doesn't preclude the fact that giving feedback should be a tactful, respectful exercise or there is no incentive to receive the feedback in kind.

feedback should be

- as thorough as your knowledge of the character is
- respectful, but still critical
- withheld if you feel it will not be heeded
#8  March 01, 2016, 06:01:21 pm
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
#9  March 01, 2016, 06:28:32 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
You should also make good that the creator knows what you're talking about, especially if they're new to making Mugen creations. Feedback is only as helpful as it is comprehensible.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#10  March 01, 2016, 06:32:31 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
it's because they are already content with what they have done, mugen is not a paying job so as long as the charcter works for a creator that's enough; one's persons crouching while running is another person's change it to pots style.
#11  March 01, 2016, 07:55:14 pm
  • For honor!
Mega hyper sexually.
Iroha stripped for me
#12  March 01, 2016, 08:04:21 pm
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
+ Constructive Feedback
- Bullshit/insults/random things who doens't are related to the release itself

Just that.
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#13  March 01, 2016, 08:11:29 pm
CLSNs are my biggest fetish.
#14  March 01, 2016, 08:23:40 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
it's because they are already content with what they have done, mugen is not a paying job so as long as the charcter works for a creator that's enough; one's persons crouching while running is another person's change it to pots style.

While I get this, it also shows who has passion and who doesn't which I believe is important in not just Mugen creating but many things in general.

That said, feedback should be straight to the point with no fluff. Use visuals if you can since they help out.
A small praise might be nice, but not if there's so much wrong.

On the other hand, certain people need to stop being as whiny and thin skinned as SJWs in tumblr.
#15  March 01, 2016, 08:33:06 pm
  • I´m a big fan of...THIS HAND?!
    • Spain
I´m recently a newbie about Mugen editions and creations. In the last week, I had some problems about some stupid things because, I had problems about my personal life, my lack of experience about making good stuff and my bad english knowledge . :P
Actually I have changed(except the english, for the moment...) and now I´m very open about feedbacks and critics. :)
#16  March 01, 2016, 08:34:11 pm
You like going off-topic, don't you?
#17  March 01, 2016, 08:37:01 pm
    • Spain
No, why?! 0_0

OZ

#18  March 01, 2016, 08:51:35 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
fluff/praise is pointless unless given in earnest and certainly shouldn't get in the way of helping the creator improve

straight insults and personal attacks are never called for, typically only serving to stroke the poster's ego
note; explaining a problem with the char/stage/whatever, why something doesn't feel right, why you don't particularly like how something was executed, etc. are not insults
ಠ_ಠ
#19  March 01, 2016, 08:52:55 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Its pointless giving feedback unless while doing it you try to put down the author and show off as better than them!!

Nothing personell , kid.
#20  March 01, 2016, 09:06:53 pm
    • Spain
Ops, sorry my derail*facepalm*

For me a feedback should be:
-Respectfull.
-The critic should be an expert and specific.
-And he/she shouldn´t troll me.

And now are we happy?