YesNoOk

Why Did You Get Into MUGEN Coding? (Read 11625 times)

Started by Nep Heart, November 26, 2018, 11:45:32 am
Share this topic:
Why Did You Get Into MUGEN Coding?
#1  November 26, 2018, 11:45:32 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Self-explanatory title.

Basically, what motivated you into MUGEN coding whether it is creating or editing characters, stages, screenpacks, etc beyond the obvious "I wanted to make stuff that I want" deal? As for me, it was mostly curiosity in the form of wanting to improve pre-existing characters in my roster. So, I took up practice and some research editing characters I have to be more to my liking with tweaks that progressively got more intense the more I understood how codes work. This ultimately lead me into wanting to create my first character with the knowledge and experience I've gathered in 5 months of editing stuff.
Re: Why Did You Get Into MUGEN Coding?
#2  November 26, 2018, 12:45:02 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Interesting thread.

For me, I always loved creating and modifying stuff in games. I started making a simple stage (was just a pic of the front door of my house), and doing small edits on existing chars just because I thought it was fun. I didn't care about quality, if a char was cheap, and stuff like that at the time, mostly because I wouldn't release anything, it was just for my own entertainment. After some time I started creating more balanced chars and more good looking stages and screenpacks, and recently, decided to release them to the public.
#3  November 26, 2018, 12:48:44 pm
  • The Illusionary Wanderer
  • I have a dream
    • Vietnam
It bugs me so much that there are so many characters with decent and great looking sprites (looking at you, 95% of Comics Characters) are literally unplayable just because their boring as hell movesets and being glitchy. I downloaded them and played with my friends a lot though and in order to make things more fun, I decided to learn how to code. Being a coder truly gives me freedom to do whatever I want with those chars and make a good use of those sprites.
#4  November 27, 2018, 12:49:23 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
I loved fighting games so when I heard about this one game engine that could have all these fighting game characters from every possible thing imaginable and then some, I fell in love with it right away and played it a ton for a good long while.  Eventually I decided that I wanted to contribute to this amazing engine starting with my most favorite fighting game character at the time, and the rest is history.

A somewhat controversial history, but a history nonetheless.
#5  November 27, 2018, 01:31:21 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I wanted to try and fix up Cyberlizard's characters.

Hahahahahaha.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#6  November 27, 2018, 01:38:17 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I wanted to learn how to do things for myself in MUGEN and how to put together a MUGEN project that is not a compilation.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#7  November 27, 2018, 01:46:40 am
    • https://sites.google.com/site/mgmurrow/
I grew up in the fighting game boom, first i came across Street Fighter Online but my internet was too slow for me to be able to play, then i came across MUGEN, it was interesting at first with the Saturday Morning Mayhem but then I cam across O Ilusionista and Ethan Lives project and was blown away by the creativity of what was possible, the rest is history(as everyone can see my creations playstyle are based off of O Ilusionista's creations)

MGMURROW
#8  November 27, 2018, 02:26:41 am
  • Niigasan
I really like POTS style. I think the first i realized i really wanted to try and create when was i saw a youtube video of rei fighting heavy d against i think rick strowd. i really wanted that heavy d but he never released it so i took it upon myself to try a pots style version of him and here iam
#9  November 27, 2018, 04:15:29 am
same reason.. want to improve characters
and thanks to POTS's easy to understand coding style.

#10  November 27, 2018, 07:06:41 am
I love the pots style myself but it was not POTS's own chars that gave me the boost to fuck about in mugen when I have the time. It was actually when Jman released King and then JNP and JMM released the explod buffer, I was like daaaamn this is legit as hell.
#11  November 27, 2018, 07:53:37 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
To be candid, my learning to code came as a consequence of being permanently banned from the long defunct Mugen Development forum for stealing from another, and thusly concluding that I needed to comprehend the means on my own.  As many already know (and others could reasonably deduce), this was considerably prior to the institution of open source within what stands of the community.
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
#12  February 02, 2019, 06:36:51 am
  • Ive taken my skills beyond mugen
    • USA
    • Skype - bushinryu Master

I always wanted be a game programmer, and make a living from it. Never went to college for guess it wasnt in the cards but with MUGEN Im still kinda living my dream.........
HIDDEN BOSS
#13  February 02, 2019, 03:58:10 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Interesting thread.
Indeed, I missed to read threads like this one.
I've been a fighting game fan all of my life, always going to arcades of my city and later with home consoles. Then in high school I discovered MUGEN via game magazines (I read a Spanish one which has Clarens as the one who show MUGEN as well tried to learn how to code, later I discovered he was a creator for real and one of the first ones to make Rugal for MUGEN) and I interested to do that.

As various of you, I wanted to create what I want as well feel as a game developer by himself, but the main reason was there're almost no chars from classic and obscure games, very few creators made some stuff like Lord Sinistro, Adamskie and O Ilusionista but they were the exception, all was Street Fighter and KOF (just like the roster of the first CVS). I wanted something more, to see characters from Power Instinct, Aggressors of Dark Kombat, World Heroes, ClayFighter and so on. So since creators don't want to make those chars because of the fad, I decided to start them by myself. And here I am, after 10+ years, and I still want to create more than I did.

I like to think that because of creators like me, more chars from classic and obscure games were made for MUGEN, even when maybe it's not so true, I guess...

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#14  February 02, 2019, 06:42:42 pm
  • For honor!
A necrobump but for a thread that had potential. I'll bite.

The funny thing is back then I never thought I'd code entire characters. I thought that shit would be too much hassle I just wanted to plug shit in the folders and play. All I wanted to do was fix other people's crap so I can tolerate playing with them. This desire to fix and tweak other people's characters would lead me to try to fix Masquer's Amakusa as he is a character I sub in Samurai Shodown 4 and 5 special. Turns out that thing required a total overhaul as his sprites were visibly misaligned, he's missing a good number of frames, none of his moves were even close to how they should actually work, and the hitboxes are the size of houses when it comes to attacks while being the size of mites when it comes to trying to hit him. It was around that point too that I actually knew how to code moves as I managed to include missing moves and then some in my personal edits of characters so I decided to just make an Amakusa.

I think I got midway through Amakusa's basics before my hard drive gave out on me because of course when I laugh and dismiss it as a made-up excuse to others it literally just happens to me. And just when I got back to where I was, Montana would release an Amakusa and back then it would've been better than mine anyways. Oh well I decided to try making Charlotte and then like a month later Noe would release a Charlotte that was pretty damn good and I was like ok I'll just make a dumb satirical evil ryu edit that uses the IMT template I guess.

It's funny because nowadays I can easily outperform Noe and Montana without really even trying so there is no point in me being discouraged by other's releases anymore. The tools to get data available now are great and I've advanced far beyond them as a coder as I've been around so long. If I were to actually make a Samurai Shodown character again, it would easily be

And nothing could even come close to making me feel like I wouldn't have to. Not even a hilariously dumb attempts at "rebalancing him" (Who for the record was always a low tier character prior to 5 which then on he would then be consistently mid tier) with zipper powers and turning his ranged normals to charge specials can make me feel it would be pointless to make him :P
Iroha stripped for me
Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:48:27 pm by Alpaca-San
#15  February 02, 2019, 06:49:38 pm
  • M.U.G.E.N 4 LIFE!
    • USA
    • suliofthenerdvaid@gmail.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd0KXNN1f_sVI80PHAnWdA
I've been a huge fighting game ever since Street Fighter IV first came out and that was the same year i starting playing mugen and it really excited me because all of the what if battles can create and play and it was an amazing experience. Now coding wise i've only done a little bit because things just messing up left n right but its only a process right? but one day i'm gonna drop something here cause i gotta stop giving up so easily lmao
#16  February 02, 2019, 07:42:28 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
It's funny because nowadays I can easily outperform Noe and Montana without really even trying so there is no point in me being discouraged by other's releases anymore.
I'd like to see your versions of Amakusa and Charlotte anytime (and Basara as well)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#17  February 02, 2019, 08:03:36 pm
  • For honor!
I can outperform Misao's versions as well (As much as I will admit he improved) so they're a possibility but they're relatively low priority compared to my current 2 projects.

So that means I hope you plan on living to be like, older than 60 years old with how fast I work :P
Iroha stripped for me
#18  February 04, 2019, 02:24:21 am

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#19  February 04, 2019, 03:29:41 am
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
I was inspired by MageFX's mugen characters
don't search his name you won't find any of his true content.
this website is stupid
#20  February 04, 2019, 07:36:43 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
a lot of shit...
 Montana ...

On the topic of Montana, if you can surpass him now, get your ass in gear and shit out those V conversions. His Rasetsumaru is still ~90% to me but feels off.

On topic, since I'm here:
I started out as a shitposter who made a few characters to make fun of Mugen because I was a kid who thought the only serious fighting games were in an arcade cabinet, but I as I get older I actually like Mugen more and more (and I'm only in my 20s, damn).
It's partially because it's web 1.0/2.0 and I lived through dial up so I unironically enjoy the old days of finding websites (and going on esnips for to find OROCHI HEIDERN) with weird Mugen characters (and TERRIBLE MONSTROSITIES) on them, and more now because Mugen offers people the opportunity (if they have the patience) to create near 1:1 versions of fighting game systems and apply that to characters from other properties.

It's probably just me, but I have fighting game autism and anything that lets me play a Guilty Gear XX Iori (does this even exist?) is fascinating.
#21  February 04, 2019, 07:57:20 am
  • For honor!
On the topic of Montana, if you can surpass him now, get your ass in gear and shit out those V conversions. His Rasetsumaru is still ~90% to me but feels off.
His stuff is very much guesswork but when I was looking at Basara's velocities in 5 Special, I noticed Montana's guesses on his conversion were shockingly close. Some of them were even essentially correct but the float was rounded to the nearest .5. He made some educated guesses alright. I wish his sprite alignment, hitboxes, and animtiming guesses were that educated.
Iroha stripped for me
#22  February 04, 2019, 11:14:51 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
Haven't coded a character yet, but I do a lot of stages;

Looking forward to going the whole nine yards to perfection as I've always been a huge fan of the games of my childhood.
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#23  February 14, 2019, 06:20:19 pm
  • I´m a big fan of...THIS HAND?!
    • Spain
I can't remember exactly but I think everything started when I watched a few tutorials and I started editing some chars, was a long and fun story.
#24  March 23, 2019, 02:47:11 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Why did I get into MUGEN Coding?

Well, I always understood that MUGEN development is half of the entire experience of MUGEN, the other being actual fighting in MUGEN. And with MUGEN development, you are expected be your own coder, as well as be your own sprite artist along with a host of other occupations.

Interestingly enough, I didn't start MUGEN development until months after I started my MUGEN career. I guess that trying to program and sprite without sophisticated tools is too hard for me back then, and back then, I was just starting out high school. It took me finding out about and using Fighter Factory to really jump start my career as a MUGEN developer and contributor...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!

N_N

#25  April 04, 2019, 11:43:46 pm
  • ViktorVaughN_N
    • USA
I was looking at a character once and thought "hm this seems cool but this one thing could use fixing". Which led me to doing that...and then I found another thing I could fix, then another, and another, and so on
#26  February 27, 2020, 01:46:01 am
  • BOOM!
  • I'm a magen dade who knows how to code somewhat
    • USA
I just wanted to add EX moves to the kof chars
That will happen to you if you don't wear your seat belts, so make sure to wear your seat belts.
#27  February 27, 2020, 09:45:41 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
There wasn't a good ssj3 gotenks back in 2002...

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#28  February 27, 2020, 10:21:15 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
The Ryu I had in mind hadn't been made. None of them could do a Sakura up fireball. So I changed that.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#29  February 27, 2020, 06:50:51 pm
  • Wowzers!
I wanted to be in a video game. Thanks MUGEN!!!