YesNoOk

Next CPS3 conversion project. Demitri (Read 35863 times)

Started by inktrebuchet, August 04, 2014, 03:22:15 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Which character would you like to see converted?

Sagat
8 (6.3%)
M.Bison
46 (36.2%)
Demitri
53 (41.7%)
Morrigan
20 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Re: Next CPS3 conversion project.
#141  August 21, 2014, 04:05:52 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#142  August 21, 2014, 04:08:17 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
It's super distracting when the aura instantly disappears and reappears when transitioning between different animations in SvC, it looks really bad. DS Demitri's aura is much more dynamic than you're giving it credit for!
#143  August 21, 2014, 04:15:13 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/

CFJ is hilarious
#144  August 21, 2014, 04:16:45 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
what the fuck, was that a thing? I never knew.
#145  August 21, 2014, 04:17:00 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
Never really had a problem with SvC Aura myself but well, to each its own!! I dont feel the aura should be necessary, iconic and all that, but I just see it as a neat detail and just that.

If anything DS has a more "distracting" aura.
Chilling
#146  August 21, 2014, 04:25:52 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com

Yeah, the aura is probably not a great idea to have all the time.
#147  August 21, 2014, 04:32:48 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The aura and cape need more movement. Kenji from Warzard has 149 frames of animation to have all the different versions of his scarf movements in his stance. It's not a separate thing. His actual stance is quite simple but the scarf does a ton of different things.

Not saying you have to go that far but if you made the cape and aura on separate layers in photoshop you could just find the point where the whole thing would loop together properly. Or you could use the animation of the cut out reveal of his demon form to hide the incorrect loop point. Let it alter the flow of the cape and aura to create a new loop point.
#148  August 21, 2014, 04:33:48 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Ibuki's hair is separate, though, IINM, which is the inspiration for separate cape.
#149  August 21, 2014, 04:34:57 am
    • USA
#150  August 21, 2014, 04:35:38 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Separate cape would work too. It would also mean the aura should be separate and the cape would have it's own separate aura to itself though.

EDIT: Jmorphman is right. Without the aura Demitri will die in all of mugen's sunny stages instantly! That wouldn't be fun for anyone!!!
#151  August 21, 2014, 04:38:37 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
The aura and cape would need to be attached in the gethits, though, for proper behavior.

Which means you'd have to use remappal.
#152  August 21, 2014, 04:39:01 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Magneto has a separate cape in-game.
Back in the first psx emulators they had trouble emulating the cape properly so you could even see where the layer was separated by a transparent line.

I think it was only separated in stance walk back and walk forward, since most other stuff would just move the cape along with him and that line wouldnt show up then.

Demitri could probably have his cape separated on similar instances to make sure the cape has as many frames as it needs without interfering with the stance animation.
#153  August 21, 2014, 04:41:41 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
If you look closely at his Darkstalkers animation frames, they do some neat stuff with his aura to emphasize his movements. Probably the clearest examples are his jumping hard punch and jumping hard kick where the aura forms a big arcing trail, but even in other animations it does stuff like flare out a bit from the tip of the attacking limb as it reaches its full extent and such. I definitely think it's worth keeping.
#154  August 21, 2014, 04:42:04 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The aura and cape would need to be attached in the gethits, though, for proper behavior.

Which means you'd have to use remappal.
Unless you wanted it to be like in SVC and not blink I guess =p

Magneto has a separate cape in-game.
Back in the first psx emulators they had trouble emulating the cape properly so you could even see where the layer was separated.
Separate parts in game are not a problem. I just wanted to clarify that Capcom doesn't ALWAYS do this. And aside from get hits it'd mean 3 separate parts for Demitri. Aura, Cape, and cape aura. Demitri, stop being complicated!!!

EDIT: Though the separate cape/aura may not be needed with attacks either. Just basic movements like stand, crouch, jump(maybe), walk, block, stuff like that.
#155  August 21, 2014, 04:43:40 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Yeah, seriously, that's reaching claw-and-mask territory. And I'm not finished with that... yet.
#156  August 21, 2014, 04:45:05 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Updated gif with cape tweak, as I forgot to adjust it in redundant frames before upload. Over the top aura in stance seems to be there to compensate for minimal animation in actual stance by comparison. Would suggest aura be somewhat subtle when not flaring out due to attack usage.
#157  August 21, 2014, 04:46:38 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
If you look closely at his Darkstalkers animation frames, they do some neat stuff with his aura to emphasize his movements. Probably the clearest examples are his jumping hard punch and jumping hard kick where the aura forms a big arcing trail, but even in other animations it does stuff like flare out a bit from the tip of the attacking limb as it reaches its full extent and such. I definitely think it's worth keeping.

im not suggesting removing it, just not having it cover his whole body at all times, its unnecessary, he would still have all of that neat animation emphasis. I would also just give it two shades and not have the blinking, it looked like a lazy animation.

Separate parts in game are not a problem. I just wanted to clarify that Capcom doesn't ALWAYS do this. And aside from get hits it'd mean 3 separate parts for Demitri. Aura, Cape, and cape aura. Demitri, stop being complicated!!!
the only areas where its worth using this is walk backs, walk forwards and stances. its the areas where two stretches of animation can have different lenghtswithout you needing to create a loop that synchs both. Just give him a cape moving by itself at how many frames you want to do a full loop with, then add on top the stance with however many frames you want that to loop, and you have a full stance where the cape can do its thing and the body its own thing.  its less work than animating it together and the result is better on the eyes.
Most other motions like punches and etc have the cape having to move a certain ammount on x time, so it should just be a whole sprite thing.
#158  August 21, 2014, 04:49:44 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Updated gif with cape tweak, as I forgot to adjust it in redundant frames before upload. Over the top aura in stance seems to be there to compensate for minimal animation in actual stance by comparison. Would suggest aura be somewhat subtle when not flaring out due to attack usage.

Could probably make the aura "disconnect" a bit earlier than in DS so it could be an explod and then no matter what he does following you'd still see an instance of the aura that broke off dissipating.
#159  August 21, 2014, 04:50:18 am
    • USA
The aura looks really bad when it disappears in SvC, though! Always-on aura! Always-on aura! Always-on aura! >:[
#160  August 21, 2014, 04:52:29 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
About the only spot where the aura looks weird in transition in SvC is walk forward due to the aura stretching pretty far back.

... and the attack animations, but that's because they decided to just put a stroke outline rather than animating an actual aura.