YesNoOk

[Char] Dalek (Classic Version) (Read 8541 times)

Started by Nucka, July 28, 2010, 09:05:50 pm
[Char] Dalek (Classic Version)
#1  July 28, 2010, 09:05:50 pm
I found a 3D Dalek poser. I screen-capped a few positions and did a quick animation.

The problem is that the shading is fixed. There's no source of light so that is why it flashes in the turn.
This would be the only time that this problem would present itself. Some tedious editing would have to be done to correct this.

This is the closest I might come to making a full character from scratch.

I'll keep yuz posted. AIGHT!!!
Re: [Char] Dalek (Classic Version)
#2  July 28, 2010, 09:39:38 pm
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
Can you change the palette when flipped to switch the highlights and shadows in 1.0 ?
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
#3  July 28, 2010, 10:12:30 pm
What has to be done is augmentation of one (or two or 3) of the middle sprites so that the lighting doesn't jump.
It's not about changing the pallet because the turn of a character is all the same sprites horizontally flipped.

I just have to fucks with the transitional sprites to make it seem like he's really turning. 

It's going to be really really annoying, but doable. Atleast he's segmented. It'll make it easier.
#4  July 29, 2010, 08:41:42 pm
Wow that looks Awesome :o :) (aside from the without colour thing) I love how your going for the classic style as well I like the the old classic Daleks best :sugoi: I only wish I was more skilled  so that I could offer to help you with this as I would love to see a Dalek in mugen especially an old style Dalek like this but sadly I dont have the skills to make a character for mugen sadly :(

I could ask around for you though if you want to see if anyone more skilled is interested in helping as I go on a few different mugen sites
please let me know think about this

anyway I am really glad the site link I gave you was helpful to you ;)

and I wish you the best of luck with this :)
#5  July 29, 2010, 08:48:21 pm
#6  July 29, 2010, 09:22:56 pm
 :laugh3: erm your kidding right? :S

if not you have done really well to achieve what you have done so far :)

I dont even know how to do what you have done so far :laugh:
Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:30:42 pm by galactus
#7  July 29, 2010, 10:10:15 pm
I screencapped a 3D poser. All I did was move him into different positions, load the individual images into Gimp, shift them around until they were all matched correctly, and made a gif out of it. Nothing MUGEN related has been done yet.

I've done some work in character development, but I've forgotten it all (coding wise). Animations are easy though.
Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:13:58 pm by The Doctor
#8  July 29, 2010, 10:15:57 pm
Well it looks good anyway thats the main thing I think :thumbsup: :)

definitely better than anything I could do anyway 8) ;D

nice one Doc :thumbsup: and feel free to ask me if you need help with finding a coder I will ask around for you on the sites I go on if you struggle to find one

if you like :)
Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:29:48 pm by galactus
#9  July 30, 2010, 02:32:36 am
We're far from the coding stages now, but if/when it comes time, I'll let you know.

Here's an idea of what it would look like with some color. It's a lot more time consuming than I expected and this isn't even a good job, but I have an idea that will hopefully make things a lot quicker and look a lot nicer.
#10  July 30, 2010, 03:00:41 am
Looks quite good to me its a good start 8) :)

nice work Doc :thumbsup:

and good luck with the quicker and looking nicer idea as well :)

#11  July 30, 2010, 03:16:02 am
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
How much will there be in terms of animation?
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
#12  July 30, 2010, 03:39:44 am
Besides the turn, not much.

All that moves on a Dalek is its rotating head, its eye piece, its gun and its manipulator arm that looks like a plunger. 
A couple of transition frames from grounded to flying, and a few get-hit frames.
I might be missing a few.

This won't be a sophisticated character in the least. It will definitely fall into the novelty character category.
I'm gonna have to do some research to see if there's anything in the mythology that could make for a more interesting character.
#13  July 30, 2010, 08:49:00 pm
I have an idea that might make the dalek a bit more interesting and give it a few more attack moves etc

ok what I was thinking was what about if you use all or at least a few of there different weapons that they have had throughout the series and in the movies

I mean origionally when the series was black and white they fired like a radiation blast or something (the screen used to go black and white anyway)

in death to the daleks they changed there weapons so that they fired bullets like a gun

then in genesis of the daleks they fired a blue laser

in rememberance of the daleks they fired energy balls (or something like that :-\)

and finally in the 2 movies with peter cushing as the doctor they seemed to fire steam instead

and well I was just wondering if you combined them do you think that would make the dalek a bit more interesting? :-\
Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:53:00 pm by galactus
#14  July 30, 2010, 11:05:29 pm
Interesting....different types of firings based on power of the what is being fired or something along those lines of the English language.

Here's a quick little update. I finally loaded the son of a bitch into this Blender 3D program and I can at least look at him.
The program does not mesh well with my organic operating system.

My goal is to make him like that other guy is making Optimus Prime. But not as cartoony, and I don't mean that as a knock to his Prime....wait a second. Maybe I should go cartoony.
We'll just have to find out together, what looks good.
#15  July 31, 2010, 08:13:19 pm
no problem I am sure it will look great when your finished with it :)

good luck with him anyway Doc ;) sounds like you might need it at the moment :-\ :)
#16  August 02, 2010, 03:10:10 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Put a light on both sides, so that the shading is more top bottom , but cartoony would prolly work.
#17  August 04, 2010, 08:51:44 am
The lighting is perfect in Blender. Now all I got to do is figure out is how to lay down some textures and make animations and I'll be all set.

See yall in a couple months :'(
#18  August 05, 2010, 08:31:36 pm
Sounds like your getting there with him Doc I for one wish you good luck with it :sugoi: :)

and dont worry we will be waiting and giving you our support all the time your gone ;)
#19  August 08, 2010, 12:50:20 am
Oh, I'm not leaving...I'm just saying that it's gonna take me a while to get acclimated with Blender.
#20  August 08, 2010, 08:35:45 pm
thats ok then and no problem personally I dont mind waiting for something as good as this :)
#21  August 17, 2010, 07:31:26 am
Looks like you're off to a good start.  I just found this after deciding that a Dalek (mine being solely based on the new series Daleks, pre-Dalek Rangers) was going to be my first character making project.  Pretty sure I've got all the sprites I need, but having issues putting them together into animations (using Fighter Factory Ultimate, collision boxes keep running to hide in the corner, far far from the image).  My plan for attacks is to have a, b and c be different strengths of death ray attacks, x, y, z be plunger, have an ultimate attack where Davros calls down the Reality Bomb, and eventually various helper characters may pop up. 

Here's a sprite sheet I threw together:

The lower two rows of Dalek are for various damage states, outlined are for block (shield) which I considered having it do damage as it does instantly disintegrate bullets.
Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:40:53 am by Arios
#22  November 15, 2012, 08:56:54 pm
    • UK
    • bassett_sean@yahoo.co.uk
Not trying to sound rude,but when is this going to be finished? I want to play as a Dalek in Mugen.
#23  November 15, 2012, 09:08:35 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
if it was last posted 2 years ago, its likely that he gave up on it.You could pm him asking about it but you shouldnt expect for it.

Dont bump threads that old, if you are really that much into dr who, you could always pick up the sprites avaliable and try your own hand at creating. Cheers.