YesNoOk

DC Cinematic Universe: Now presenting Gang Weed: The Movie (Read 1426608 times)

Started by Jmorphman, August 31, 2012, 12:01:22 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Cinematic Universe: Ben Affleck is Batman now
#241  August 24, 2013, 01:43:41 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
There is a very popular joke on the internet about Batman asking Superman a sandwich.

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#242  August 24, 2013, 01:44:46 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
#243  August 24, 2013, 01:48:43 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#244  August 24, 2013, 01:52:55 am
  • Fuck You.
any character that becomes memetically popular be it thru over-saturation or the internet will have an idiotic fanbase (see; deadpool(who wasnt even that popular till i say about mvc3, iron-man, who was a *b-team character till his movie came out, wolverine, who has been in literally every marvel character's comic, etc)

*while popular in his own right he wasnt batman popular till the iron man movie came out prove me wrong you fucks
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#245  August 24, 2013, 02:10:25 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#246  August 24, 2013, 02:13:59 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon

I think this time everyone will understand this one.

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#247  August 24, 2013, 02:21:29 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
that is completely understandable as being a joke about breaking bad and breaking the bat a old batman storyline where bane cripples batman...  just not really related to the thread discussion. Why not just discuss stuff without funny unrelated images to try to pass on points?
#248  August 24, 2013, 02:26:57 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
agreed. anyway, ben affleck AMIRITE?
#249  August 24, 2013, 02:30:50 am
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
Whatever.  It doesn't matter what actor they got for the role, this Batman was always going to suck regardless because they're introducing him as a sidekick in a Superman movie.  Affleck could turn in a mind-blowing performance and it would still likely be a crappy version of Batman.

we don't know that it's going to suck and we sure don't know if Batman will be a sidekick...in the end, it depends who is the actor & who is writing: right now, Goyer is writting (good), Affleck is acting (ouch)

Imagine if they had just made Captain America or Thor be side-plots in the Iron Man movies before plowing through to Avengers.

indeed

The difference there is that while Ruffalo was a new actor, the actual character of Bruce Banner had already been well established beforehand.

about Hulk in the Avengers, Ruffalo's portraying (and of course Whedon's writting helped but really mostly Ruffalo) is spot on: his talent (and his approach to it) as an actor makes Banner pop out on the screen (you can feel the internal shit going on in his head, just the way he carries himself)...
i don't think being a new actor or not has anything to do with it: if it does, well Ruffalo has been around for ages, more than say Heath Ledger when he got cast in Batman: in the end, both performances were great, no matter the initial reactions to their casting.
now we have Affleck, who has to be credible & believable in a suit, doing Ninja/Martial Arts master moves type, playing a double life of a billionnaire whos hunted by the death of his parents as a youngster...with a track record of Daredevil (dear god), Good Will Hunting (lol playing himself mostly), Armageddon (-_-), Daredevil, Daredevil, The Town (bank robber) & Argo (noone can say he was good in this movie).

good acting matters, especially in this age of CGI everywhere

Superman and Batman both have to exist independently before you can make the World's Finest thing actually work.

i agree on paper, but

Here, they're taking off from the continuation of Superman's story and cold dropping in some moody jerk in a Dracula costume that, for all intents and purposes, nobody's ever heard of before.  It's just a really bad way to introduce the character.

i strongly disagree in this present situation: everyone has heard or know something about Batman nowadays...it's been around for ages in the movie industry and in the general knowledge...so even though it screams "Justice League", strategically, there is not really a point to make yet another Batman reboot just to introduce him in this MoS universe: the references are there already...it makes more sense like that actually, imo.
the problem is their Affleck choice, especially considering it is apparent (as i said in the last page) it is a business move more than a really thought out choice

#250  August 24, 2013, 02:33:43 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
that is completely understandable as being a joke about breaking bad and breaking the bat a old batman storyline where bane cripples batman...  just not really related to the thread discussion. Why not just discuss stuff without funny unrelated images to try to pass on points?
Cranston wanted to be Lex remember?

(no that doesn't make it relevant to the thread, but I wanted to point that out)

Because Batman has the worst fanboys of any comic book hero not named Squirrel Girl.
Her dumb fanbase is why this image will not stop being funny.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#251  August 24, 2013, 02:44:30 am
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
I think people are jumping the gun on their opinions about affleck being cast I personally am interested to see how this all plays out for a couple of reasons
1. People felt the same about Michael Keaton being cast for the role and look how opinion changed.
2. The Movie isn't due for two years so thats plenty of time for Ben to transform his body for the role.
3. We don't know the plot of the story yet or how he plans to do his voice for batman.( If its anything like bale were all screwed anyway)
4. He has acting range he can be a very charismatic bruce wayne and I believe he can pull off a dark enough batman.
Just my two cents on it
#252  August 24, 2013, 03:00:32 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Aww come on, now people are hatin' on Squirrel Girl? Is there nothing in this world that can't just be fun and shit?

Where were you people when they cast Chris Evans as Capt. America? Heath Ledger as Joker?
Chris Evans had some people concered (due to him mostly having done comedy roles), but he was never really pegged as a bad actor. And tons and tons of people flipped out over Heath Ledger (THE DUDE FROM A KNIGHT'S TALE IS JOKER THIS IS BULLSHIT)

Batman needs any other emotions than those three?
... you can't be serious.

Affleck could well end up surprising everyone, but he's very limited as an actor, and the description of the Batman he's playing just doesn't seem like it fits into his range. He's not a bad actor, but this seems like a very bad fit for him.

batman worked under the guise of a myth for years before in batb they use this period to be the one where he gets training by the jsa with black canary.
That's... not really what I'm not talking about. I was talking about whether most continuities have Superman debut before Batman (they do). To take two examples: post-Crisis, Superman debuts shortly before Batman, and Batman starts off as an urban legend, but eventually the general public knows him to be a real dude. Or post-Zero Hour, Superman debuts shortly before Batman, but Batman remains an urban legend among the public even years after he first puts on the costume. (I think it went all the way up to War Games, maybe? It was definitely not until the 2000s that they dropped that silly idea)

What I'm getting at is that Batman and Superman are almost always contemporaries, but the next movie is doing something very different, positioning Batman as being much older and experienced than Superman.

Also yea in most cases I believe batman was around first
Nah, it's almost always Superman first. I can't think of anything besides the DCAU, maybe, that has it otherwise. Not that it's super important who debuted first, since in any case they're portrayed as contemporaries either way.

um I thought they were offering christian bale 50 million dollars to play batman again did he seriously turn them down?
Because Bale isn't interested in doing any more Batman movies without Nolan.

Whatever.  It doesn't matter what actor they got for the role, this Batman was always going to suck regardless because they're introducing him as a sidekick in a Superman movie just so they can fast-track their Justice League project while the Avengers franchise is still popular.
I think it's actually far more likely for Superman to be reduced to a sidekick role, especially if those reports that the movie is based in part on The Dark Knight Returns are true.

Superman and Batman both have to exist independently before you can make the World's Finest thing actually work.
Not really? Everyone and their mom knows who Batman is. He doesn't need an entirely new movie just to establish Affleck's version. Captain America, Thor, Iron Man? Nobody knew those characters, they needed their own movies just for them to get into the public consciousness. Hulk probably could've worked without his second movie, since all the information you need about what Bruce Banner has been up to and how he's keeping the Hulk in check is provided in The Avengers.

All Affleck's Batman needs is to  have a few lines about how long he's been around (establishing he's an older Batman to the audience), and go from there. It's actually a pretty smart move, I think. Better than rushing headlong into a Justice League movie like what was previously rumored (since most of the other JL'ers would need movies)

iron-man, who was a *b-team character till his movie came out

*while popular in his own right he wasnt batman popular till the iron man movie came out prove me wrong you fucks
I would say he was C-list, even.
Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:10:38 am by Jmorphman
#253  August 24, 2013, 03:08:14 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
you repeated that ironman was a c lister twice

why do you hate ironman
#254  August 24, 2013, 03:10:21 am
    • USA
I messed up my quoting

I don't know what you're talking about. Also, I was replaced by an alternate universe teenage version of myself. (that shit doesn't happen to an A-lister)
#255  August 24, 2013, 03:11:36 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Of course there's always going to be a place for things that are fun and silly.  The problem is that SG is in no way funny or amusing.

I definitely wouldn't say Affleck is my first choice for Batman but I think people are undermining him.  I'm sure he knows the weight of this role and isn't gonna half ass it since it's kind of a big deal.  Maybe he'll be the weakest Batman on film but I think he's smart enough to know what he's getting into.

And yeah people definitely did not take well to the news of Ledger as Joker, since prior to TDK most people didn't think of him as a guy that would be capable of such a villainous role.  Hell Tom Hardy as Bane wasn't well received at first either because of how "small" he was. 
#256  August 24, 2013, 03:14:09 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Squirrel Girl is dumb for a multitude of reasons, mainly that stupid gimmick (hur hur I beat Doom and Thanos hur) that's brought up ad nauseum. That's not fun, just annoying Wait this is about DC.

Anywho:
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the process began earlier this year when director Zack Snyder had finished working on Man of Steel with producer Christopher Nolan. Snyder and the studio already had ideas for a follow-up, and Snyder reached out to Affleck to check the star's interest.

It's unclear when these talks began. Multiple sources say the studio approached Josh Brolin, as well as other actors. Ryan Gosling was also a possibility, but the actor dislikes the idea of sequels.

But Affleck was curious, and initial talks focusing on story and character began. Once Affleck was satisfied, WME's Patrick Whitesell and Ziffren Brittenham's Sam Fischer began negotiating his role in the Superman sequel. Sources say that Affleck has been signed for multiple other movies. The talks were so secretive that many Warner execs and most WME agents remained unaware of their existence.

On one level, Affleck’s return to superheroes seems bewildering. The Oscar-winning co-writer of Good Will Hunting drew scorn after donning the red suit for Daredevil, and later agreed it wasn't his best work. After he'd recovered and turned in a bravura performance directing and starring in The Town, Fox offered him the chance to direct and star in a Daredevil reboot -- but Affleck turned it down.

More recently, Nolan offered Affleck the chance to direct Man of Steel. Affleck declined, seemingly because of a desire not to return to the world of capes -- despite being an avowed comic book fan.

Because since it’s considered a sequel to Man of Steel and not a Batman movie, any potential underperformance issues won't ultimately land on his shoulders.

The deal also potentially lines Affleck up to star in and direct Warner Bros.' answer to The Avengers: The eventual Justice League movie.
Source.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:20:04 am by Roman55
#257  August 24, 2013, 03:14:44 am
    • USA
#258  August 24, 2013, 03:15:44 am
  • SNK is life
Hell Tom Hardy as Bane wasn't well received at first either because of how "small" he was. 
You have a point. You know what gives credibility to almost any actor? MUSCLES.

Affleck is 1 shirtless shot away from being legit, assuming he gets ripped or respectably buff.
#259  August 24, 2013, 03:15:58 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
The difference there is that while Ruffalo was a new actor, the actual character of Bruce Banner had already been well established beforehand.

about Hulk in the Avengers, Ruffalo's portraying (and of course Whedon's writting helped but really mostly Ruffalo) is spot on: his talent (and his approach to it) as an actor makes Banner pop out on the screen (you can feel the internal shit going on in his head, just the way he carries himself)...
i don't think being a new actor or not has anything to do with it: if it does, well Ruffalo has been around for ages, more than say Heath Ledger when he got cast in Batman: in the end, both performances were great, no matter the initial reactions to their casting.
My point here wasn't about Ruffalo's performance, but that he was playing a character that already existed within that specific universe.  Banner had already been established and explored in the Hulk movie, and his presence was known before the gang started getting together.  On the other side of the coin, look at Hawkeye in the same movie.  Hawkeye was easily the most shallow and underplayed character in Avengers because his first major appearance in that universe was as one part of a team full of other characters that collectively had 5 or 6 feature length films worth of development behind them.

everyone has heard or know something about Batman nowadays...it's been around for ages in the movie industry and in the general knowledge.
Sure, we know about about Batman as a pop culture icon.  But in the context of the fiction it wouldn't make any sense.  He'd be a brand new entity.  And if a Superman already exists and is active, what's the point of some rich guy running around with smoke bombs and grappling hooks?  By starting this Batman out in a sequel to someone else's story, he becomes not so much a hero or a leading man as he does an issue for Superman to have to come to terms with.

I don't think we need another Batman reboot so soon, and more to the point I don't think the world needs yet another origin story retelling.  But if they're trying to ape what worked for Marvel, they can't just start throwing all their characters out there at once.
#260  August 24, 2013, 03:17:32 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
hawkeye first appearance was in thor. =D

I also think most people will assume its the same batman from the bale movies, even if the actor is different.