YesNoOk

DC Cinematic Universe: Now presenting Gang Weed: The Movie (Read 1424477 times)

Started by Jmorphman, August 31, 2012, 12:01:22 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Cinematic Universe: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, an actual movie title
#1001  August 28, 2014, 12:20:46 am
It kind of feels to me like more and more people are aware of the differences between the big players. The real Disney/Marvel movies are the good ones, the Sony/Fox Marvel movies seem to still have a good public, casual - I want to say those who watch Michael Bay movies (not caring much for the big universe and just going for the pretty picture and cool visual ideas like the time travel thing from DoFP, or Hugh Jackman), and the DC movies are the Nolan Batman movies.
There are still movie sites that think the Fox and Sony movies are done by Marvel and claim that Marvel is doing way too many movies, but aside from that, I'm under the impression that they all have their well defined public and everyone knows what they're going to watch.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Re: DC Cinematic Universe: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, an actual movie title
#1002  August 28, 2014, 12:34:59 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I don't know about the market crash, we've been flooded with superhero movies since the first Spiderman, and watching the near future it doesn't look as crowded as 2005's Elektra, Constantine, The Crow: Wicked Prayer, Son of the Mask, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D, The Legend of Zorro, Batman Begins, Fantastic Four, Man-Thing, Sky High and V for Vendetta.
Well, to the general audience stuff like Constantine and V For Vendetta aren't known to be comic book movies (I wouldn't describe then as superhero movies in the least); of that list, I think only Fantastic Four, Elektra, and Batman would really be seen as "superhero movies", with Sharkboy and Lavagirl and Sky High being seen as superhero-adjacent, but with greater emphasis on being them being kid movies. As for the rest, Zorro is totally a superhero, he wears a fucking mask, but he's never really been considered one; The Crow and Man-Thing were too low profile; Son of the Mask isn't really a superhero movie at all).

We are gonna hit peak superhero sometime soon, Sony and Fox are going to have at least one movie out per year (Fox might have at least two); Marvel of course puts out 2 a year (and will be doing 3 in 2017), and Warner is following suit with Marvel. That's a lot of movies, and eventually the bubble will burst. It's happened to every hot genre; superhero movies will never really go away, but the amount we're getting right now is just not sustainable in the long run.
Re: DC Cinematic Universe: BLACK SHAZAM
#1003  September 03, 2014, 06:05:17 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

GOH

#1004  September 03, 2014, 06:11:03 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Shazam movie, Scene 24

Black Adam: "Bob..."

Shazam: "But my name's Billy!"

Black Adam: "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!"
#1005  September 04, 2014, 05:02:47 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#1006  September 04, 2014, 05:23:21 pm
It'll be about real life problems with a bit of powers thrown in, just you watch. It'll have Billy fixing his life with his newfound magical powers, rather than an actual superhero. Like some movie of a kid who befriends a robot or an alien, or a kid who finds a magic lamp.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1007  September 05, 2014, 01:49:50 am
  • Haters are toys
Yo Bea, J, Joe Manganiello for Captain Marvel, what do you think?
"No weapon formed against you will have any success, and you will condemn any tongue that rises up against you in the judgment"- Isaiah 54:17
#1008  September 05, 2014, 02:04:08 am
    • USA
now that black adam is confirmed in JLA
... ??? They say just the opposite.

But yeah, such depressing news. A terrible mix of such promising signs of hope (Captain Marvel isn't gonna get lumped in the same universe as Superman and suffer as a result! They'll focus on humor and have fun!) blended with the standard soul-sucking DC standard (the stakes have to be real! and depressing! and veiled putdowns of Marvel movies!). It's just sad to see so much promise present that is then beaten down into mediocrity or worse. Much like the casting of the Rock as Black Adam itself, I guess!
#1009  September 05, 2014, 02:35:48 am
#1010  September 05, 2014, 02:40:12 am
    • USA
I'm pretty sure that's not the case; or at least, I can't find anything to that effect. The only information that's come out is that the Rock is Black Adam in something, and that there will be a Shazam movie that's not connected to the Batman Loves Mary Jane V. Superman: Away to the Dawnjustice movies. I think it's safe to say he'll be Black Adam in the Shazam movie, only.
#1011  September 05, 2014, 02:50:26 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1012  September 05, 2014, 07:33:17 am
    • USA
This stuff isn't really DCCU (probably?) but I don't caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare unlike the MCU thread

There seems to be a Supergirl series in the works. Not sure what continuity, if any, it will take place in, but it does seem odd if it turns out to be standalone (I think you could probably make a relatively standalone Supergirl series, with only vague references to Superman, but I doubt that's what Warner will end up doing). Oh and like Arrow, this series will have a unique title to differentiate it from other versions of Supergirl; potential titles being considered include Super, and Girl.

Which is just... ugh. Why. What's wrong with Supergirl, Jesus fucking Christ. I mean, fine, you have your show about young Bruce Wayne that's an off-brand version of Gotham Central except missing the entire point, and you call it Gotham, fine, that's perfectly cromulent. You have your young Clark Kent show called Smallville, because you don't want to call him Superboy because that'd be silly and therefore awful, fine. Whatever. Then you have your Arrow because like Mars, Green was proven to be poisonous to popularity if included in a title, and you still refuse to call Oliver Queen "Green Arrow", so fine, whatever, still stupid but not as much. But Super? Or Girl? Holy fucking shit.

Also, Arrow has cast it's Ra's Al Ghul: it's a white dude who is a former rugby player who's best known for his role in the third Riddick movie. Now sure, casting Ra's is a tricky dilemma because, well, he's a Middle Eastern man who leads a giant terrorist organization that seeks to bring down all of civilization. So there's that. But that's no reason at all to deny the role to Middle Easterners, and is an especially terrible reason to cast a white guy with questionable acting experience as a substitute. I mean shit, at least Batman Begins had Liam fucking Neeson in the role.
#1013  September 05, 2014, 07:53:32 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
liam Neeson was on board to reprise his role too. if offered. I'm still annoyed he's coming in at all tbh. Stop giving arrow everyone else's villains.
#1014  September 05, 2014, 08:01:37 am
    • USA
Even if Neeson was willing to work for SAG minimum wage (and I'm sure he'd be open to something like that, if he's on board reprising his role on a show on The CW of all places), he probably wouldn't have an open enough schedule for what the Arrow guys want to do with Ra's. He could probably do a few episodes, but I just can't see him taking off a whole 6 months (or however long a full season shooting schedule would be for this role, I have no idea how this stuff works!) and forgoing multiple movie opportunities for a relatively low-rated broadcast show.

I'm sure he'll be able to snag a voice over role as Ra's in some animated thing or video game, though. After all, who would turn down Liam Neeson?
#1015  September 05, 2014, 08:34:03 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
not anyone who wants to live to tell the tale.
#1016  September 05, 2014, 09:57:30 am
#1017  September 05, 2014, 10:10:30 am
    • USA
Well hey now, he has a few, at least; Merlyn, Constantine Drakon (I guess?... look, it's not a very big field), and best of all Count Vertigo, who is fucking great (although admittedly, that upgrade to fucking great took place in Suicide Squad, but still, he's got a great hook and powerset). And wouldn't you know it, they've all appeared on Arrow in some form. And I guess Clock King started as a GA villain before moving on to Batman, but he was pretty neat in the BTAS, so he might be worth reclaiming.

uh... who else... Onomatopoeia? Maybe? He of course is specifically designed to only work in comics, though. And then Kevin Smith ruined him as he is wont to do to... who else... Deathstroke doesn't count, I don't care what the show did, or the brief period in comics where he had a vendetta against GA. And no, not Doctor Light either, fuck that guy, and fuck that stupid storyline where he depowered cool, heroic Doctor Light. >:[
#1018  September 05, 2014, 11:24:15 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#1019  September 05, 2014, 11:39:23 am
On the other hand, it makes more sense, they've announced a lot of the BvS cast and they've already began filming, this announcement would be quite late for that movie - even if Black Adam was only given a minor role there (seeing how big the cast already is). But if instead he's the major antagonist of the Shazam movie that comes out a year later, it's a good timing for an announcement.
And it leaves him some room to do his usual fun acting too, as opposed to BvS where he'd just be there, big and bad, no fun allowed.
#1020  September 05, 2014, 05:59:05 pm
    • USA
Batman/Superman Dawn Fun Justice Party and Shazam will actually both come out in 2016 (since the former was delayed after a troubled pre-production), but yeah, BvS is already filming, there's no way to fit him into a substantial role at this point.

thats extremely odd the announcement made it seem like he was doing it in the bvsdoj movie.
It was the article's fault; the actual announcement itself was just a tweet from The Rock (do we have to call him Dwayne Johnson now, because he keeps being billed as that, but like, The Rock is such a cooler name!!!) saying he was playing Black Adam.