#5642  August 19, 2015, 03:23:33 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
lmao
Re: Random Topic V9
#5643  August 19, 2015, 04:08:30 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Found this pic while looking for Hirohiko Araki's artwork to try something in his style and:

LIAM'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE BEATS INTERCOURSE. (Yes it was drawn by Araki himself, if you were wondering)
This is a generic forum signature.
#5644  August 19, 2015, 04:15:58 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
#5645  August 19, 2015, 04:26:30 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
So I'm going to stop making my comic The Devon Legacy. I'm always split between which hobbies I want to do. MUGEN and my comic. My comic is my bigger passion. But it's just not sustainable as a hobby that I can find enjoyment now that I have a family and less time.

When I was single and worked on it that's pretty much all I did. It was my life. I was thinking about story or writing or practicing my art or making actual pages. That's about it.

Now for almost this entire year I have been working on the comic again. Under the idea that even if it's just 1 page a week I am at least still living my hobby and progressing the story.

But the limited amount of time is making it too stressful. I worry just to meet my deadline. I am not enjoying it now as each page feels like it's work and since I'm not getting a lot of drawing practice either through making more pages or random practice sketches my art is simply not improving and the pages are feeling HARDER to make each day.

To top it off I realized that it's a futile effort at storytelling. The pace is just WAY too slow. I like drawing. But I mostly like it to bring my story to life. I consider myself a writer more than an artist. I'd rather progression be made but I want that progression to look decent too.

I have 7 "seasons" planned. Each needing about 30 issues a season. Each issue will be from 20 - 64 pages long. So to simplify, at a page a day it would take me 210 years to complete the whole story. It'd take 30 years to finish season 1.

Now to add to this: making my pages requires solitude. Or at least to be left alone. It's a very introverted process that does not bring in anyone else. So I am shutting myself away from my child and wife when I work. Which I generally try to do while she is at work and he's at daycare 2 days a week.

But still it's not an experience I can share and it leaks into their time a lot because I rarely finish a page in the time I have available for reasons already mentioned.

So for that reason I decided to hang it up. If I ever get extra money where I can hire an artist I'll come back to it. But this is it. The dream of my comic has to be laid to rest.

On a plus side though this gives me a lot more time to play games again. Something I can share with family! And to work on MUGEN. Which again I can share with my son as he gets older. To play and to learn with.

So I should become more active around here and contributing again. No more splitting my 2 selves. Comic me and MUGEN me.

Thanks for the read. Just needed to air out!
#5646  August 19, 2015, 04:34:41 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I hope this means that you'll go into scriptwriting and write the next Repo Man script (Repo Gal does not count and should be destroyed).

It does seem sad, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. I respect that you're putting your family first. Now to get off my ass and read the comic from beginning to end.
#5647  August 19, 2015, 04:35:44 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
So to simplify, at a page a day it would take me 210 years to complete the whole story.

...Are you Kentaro Miura?
#5648  August 19, 2015, 04:40:20 am
    • USA
Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:19:04 am by -Red-
#5649  August 19, 2015, 04:59:48 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I hope this means that you'll go into scriptwriting and write the next Repo Man script (Repo Gal does not count and should be destroyed).

It does seem sad, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. I respect that you're putting your family first. Now to get off my ass and read the comic from beginning to end.
Only if I can make it star the former wrestler called Repo Man.

If you want to stop reading at the end of Prologue it's a good place to stop. Not a ton of huge cliffhangers. If you read all of it and want to know any plot details that would have come later just message me.
I do intend to finish this issue at least. I've been making this issue for almost 5 years now off and on. And it's almost finished. 13 pages to go. So I might as well finish it. Just won't worry about deadlines. I'll post the rest of the pages all at once when I complete it.

...Are you Kentaro Miura?
Cut me some slack. I'm still faster than that!
#5650  August 19, 2015, 05:22:44 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
Whoa whoa whoa...can we talk about how Norm fucking mcdonald is the new colonel sanders of kfc?!?!? What the fuckity fuck lol

Of eating ass? You're not missing much

You sure know a lot about this, eh?  :laugh:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:27:57 am by Luis Alejandro
#5651  August 19, 2015, 06:11:58 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
its coincidental that you just made this post because I jsut recently started enjoying this differnet media which is webnovels; since a few months ago I wanted to talk about light novels (as in the media, nto specific titles), but then a manga that only had 8 chapters out caught my eye and I was unable to keep on reading as that's all that existed in manga form , then I learned it was originally a webnovel (which is almost like a light novel, except that is being published in the web and it has even less art than a LN), I got started with that one and really enjoyed it. then I learned that one anime that I am enjoying this season (GATE) is also based on a webnovel so I gave a try to anotehr wbenovel (jobless reincarnation) and found out that the media can be pretty enjoyable.

so after yoru break you might want to take an aproach similar to a web/ligh novel, which to put it simply it's just a bunch of prose covering the setting/description and dialgos and maybe some important scenes drawn in there for more visula impact (light novels do a decent job with that, even shield hero had one to explain raph's design)
#5652  August 19, 2015, 06:21:16 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I honestly don't know if I'd be articulate enough to write a novel in such a manner. Even if it needed less than a true novel due to using some imagery. But I'll keep it in mind and look at a few to see how elaborate they may be written and formatted.
#5653  August 19, 2015, 06:26:24 am
  • TK's Random Mugen Battle Series Guy!
  • I Think That Dirty Thoughts Are Very Bad!
    • USA
    • MrGohma99@gmail.com
    • Skype - TK8305
    • www.youtube.com/topkirby8305
So does anyone here play Smash Wii U at all?  Just curious!

Currently LPing: Kirby Mass Attack (NDS) / LOZ:
 Eddy's 1st Quest Redone (ZC)

Next LPs: Higurashi (Steam) / LOZ:  Realm of Courage (ZC)
#5654  August 19, 2015, 06:34:36 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#5655  August 19, 2015, 07:31:06 am
  • all is love in fair and war
So I'm going to stop making my comic The Devon Legacy. I'm always split between which hobbies I want to do. MUGEN and my comic. My comic is my bigger passion. But it's just not sustainable as a hobby that I can find enjoyment now that I have a family and less time.

When I was single and worked on it that's pretty much all I did. It was my life. I was thinking about story or writing or practicing my art or making actual pages. That's about it.

Now for almost this entire year I have been working on the comic again. Under the idea that even if it's just 1 page a week I am at least still living my hobby and progressing the story.

But the limited amount of time is making it too stressful. I worry just to meet my deadline. I am not enjoying it now as each page feels like it's work and since I'm not getting a lot of drawing practice either through making more pages or random practice sketches my art is simply not improving and the pages are feeling HARDER to make each day.

Thanks for the read. Just needed to air out!

why don't you just do it in black and white man, I do only in pencil too, even manual on paper scanned.
well I haven't gotten time or fluent enough in making script so I work mainly as illustrator of someone else's script as commission projects...
so I kinda feel the burnt in doing it everyday.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Bea

#5656  August 19, 2015, 01:28:46 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
*snip*

I wouldn't say it has to be laid to rest, but it has to be put on hibernation right now.
Your family is young, and this is the point in your life where you need to treasure the moments with them. Watch your kid grow up, enjoy time with your wife.
Once the kid hits his teens, you will find yourself with more time to continue your comic endeavours. He will have other priorities in life, and will have enjoyed with childhood with quality time with his daddy.

Keep on practising, though. Draw a page here and there when you feel the urge, just to not get rusty, write down the story you want to tell, revise it, save it.
In ten years time you will have the time and most likely motivation to go back to it at full pace.

And good luck with your mugen endeavours too.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#5657  August 19, 2015, 03:18:45 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
why don't you just do it in black and white man, I do only in pencil too, even manual on paper scanned.
well I haven't gotten time or fluent enough in making script so I work mainly as illustrator of someone else's script as commission projects...
so I kinda feel the burnt in doing it everyday.
The art is the hardest part for me :P I enjoy coloring. Inking isn't too numbing. But the initial pencils are the hardest and most frustrating. Like I said, I consider myself a writer more than an artist. I've noticed that there are mostly 2 kinds of comic authors on the net. The ones that love to draw and make sequential art. And the ones that love to make the story and have to find a way to bring it to life. Looking at your art is is obvious you are VERY passionate about it. You don't care what the story is (as in it at least needs to interest you) you just want to draw it.
Me? I don't want to draw unless it's somehow going to further my story. So my improvements come much slower.
Basically I imagine my work as a tv series and try to replicate what I see in my mind into comic form.

I wouldn't say it has to be laid to rest, but it has to be put on hibernation right now.
Your family is young, and this is the point in your life where you need to treasure the moments with them. Watch your kid grow up, enjoy time with your wife.
Once the kid hits his teens, you will find yourself with more time to continue your comic endeavours. He will have other priorities in life, and will have enjoyed with childhood with quality time with his daddy.

Keep on practising, though. Draw a page here and there when you feel the urge, just to not get rusty, write down the story you want to tell, revise it, save it.
In ten years time you will have the time and most likely motivation to go back to it at full pace.

And good luck with your mugen endeavours too.
That might be true. And yes, I'll do something from time to time and still work out story kinks. It'd be easier to think it's laid to rest than to try and tell myself I have to wait 10-15 more years to really work on it again :P

Thanks for the kind words :)
#5658  August 19, 2015, 03:32:18 pm
did you try applying to work in major comic publishers? like DC, image or boom! try submitting your comic to them.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#5659  August 19, 2015, 03:38:15 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Too much competition. No contacts on the inside. Getting your own original work accepted by any of the big guns would be more unlikely than getting hired as an artist. And I know TONS of people trying to get in just for that.

Not to mention all the talent on dA and all the hundreds of thousands of other webcomic properties out there. I'm not a special snowflake and I get that :P
#5660  August 19, 2015, 03:44:22 pm
im talking applying as a writer, good artists are like a dime on a dozen. not so much for writers, if you're a savvy writer maybe you'd get a chance there...
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞