YesNoOk

My sprites, edits and animations (Read 1071093 times)

Started by Guillotine, August 15, 2019, 03:17:17 pm
Re: My sprites, edits and animations
#161  February 24, 2024, 10:34:45 pm
Also he looks like he's walking faster. From what little I could see of his gameplay on youtube, in the game he runs (running is like jumping forward with each step and I could see it in the game) but in your animation he's walking.
#162  February 25, 2024, 06:10:10 am
The animation is ok.

Added a slight screen shake.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

The frenzy chain is also ok as it is now, I like it. Height is good, he raised it to not trip and fall while running, and the belly as a canvas allows you to see the motion.

#163  February 25, 2024, 01:51:46 pm
... are we seeing the same thing?
Am I not allowed to say what I noticed?

Why are you moving the animations like that? I don't see how that is relevant to my point. Did you think "faster" meant moving animations left and right more quickly?

As SamSho got rollback a few months ago I have been playing Earthquake, so wanted to port his running animation to SVC,

[...] so wanted to port his running animation to SVC,[...]

my feedback was regarding this.
Did I say "delete all of the sprites immediately"? No.
Is the motion different? Yes.
Did I note some differences between the animation in the game and the one he made? Yes.

Running = jumping forward a bit with each step. (both feet should be in the air for a small period of time before landing)
Walking, or in this case marching = there's no period of time when both feet are in the air. One foot moves you forward, one foot leaves the ground, the one moving you forward goes back, the one that left the ground "lands" and it's in front of you, you move forward with it, the one in the back leaves the ground, etc. . There's always one foot on the ground when walking.

That is all. To be honest this looks like arguing for the sake of arguing. I don't want to partake in it.

I'll say though, those sprites look very accurate to the style. :thumbsup: Great work all around.
Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 02:03:44 pm by AlexSin
#164  February 25, 2024, 10:16:28 pm
I'm politely stating that I don't see your point. No need to get defensive.

You are allowed to criticize, as I'm allowed to criticize your points. Am I not?

You were simply stating it doesn't look like a run, but you weren't saying how it could look like a run.

Why are you moving the animations like that? I don't see how that is relevant to my point. Did you think "faster" meant moving animations left and right more quickly?

The simple notion of walking and running. The concept is to move forward and move forward faster.

He will not stay in a simple spot in game, he will move in the stage. Is a mockup.

This one illustrates it better.

The slow version looks like he's doing a lot of effort to move very few inches, looks like he's losing his breath.

The fast version looks proper.

The 3d version is a jumpy jog. Guillotin3 was inspired by it, but as I see it is not a 1:1 base.

Running = jumping forward a bit with each step. (both feet should be in the air for a small period of time before landing)

Yes he does it in his 3d version, but do all heavy people run like that? in real life?

Walking, or in this case marching = there's no period of time when both feet are in the air. One foot moves you forward, one foot leaves the ground, the one moving you forward goes back, the one that left the ground "lands" and it's in front of you, you move forward with it, the one in the back leaves the ground, etc. . There's always one foot on the ground when walking.

People can drag their feet while running. More likely so if they are heavy. Not everyone is an athlete.

I still think the animation is great and it fits Earthquake a heavy guy, he drags his feet in his official walking animation (also used as his backwards walk). Is a hurried up movement, not a marathon run, it even adds a funny element and clumsiness.

That is all. To be honest this looks like arguing for the sake of arguing. I don't want to partake in it.

I thought we were giving proper feedback, is a shame you want out of the conversation, because I have done a lot of running and walking cycles, I like doing them. And was curious why you see it as a walking and how would you easily fix it, but ok.

#165  February 25, 2024, 10:48:05 pm
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
that looks pretty good
#166  February 26, 2024, 01:49:30 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
#167  February 26, 2024, 02:24:55 pm
Ehi everyone, thanks for the feedback.
For what is worth it, I didn't really reference properly and started working on this just by memory/idea( a mistake most likely).
At some point I realized it came out quite different and wasn't so happy, but felt it the result could have worked just fine on a character that has some comedic elements like EQ so I pushed in that direction rather than probably abandoning everything.
I suppose this expression "wanted to port his running animation to SVC" was really applicable to my initial feeling so I should have worded it differently.
#168  February 26, 2024, 07:24:24 pm
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

For the last point you answered, I felt like that "moving around" the animations was to make fun of what I said. It didn't feel like a mock up of what it could look in game. All of that movement for the body to remain relatively the same looked a bit odd.
That's why I didn't want to participate in pointless banter.

Like DeathScythe said, I interpreted "porting" as "translating" the same run animation (with some adaptations) to the other style, but still a run animation.
I get that marching/strolling can be a run animation, I'm not saying the run has to be a run, it can also be a dash animation or like MotorRoach said a roll animation. I don't particularly care. But since Guillotine said he was porting it to look like an SvC animation, I expected it to look more or less the same, with the hops.

I couldn't find a good gif like the one you posted, but you can clearly see he can run.
He never said (before) that he was inspired by it, but he said he was porting it... I'm just repeating myself. He said it in his last post, it's all good.

The "walking faster" I meant was the way the character was walking (the word "marching" was eluding me, so I just said "walking faster"), I meant how he moved the legs and landed his feet with each step.

As for "easy" fix, there's no easy fix, I don't think the anim needs fixing since it does its job, but some things I would point out would be that the legs should do longer strides (so the leg moves behind him) and/or the feet should look like they leave the ground. Right now he's marching / moving slightly laterally.

But in my opinion I wouldn't consider moving up and down the animation (the shake you added) a fix, since you can see the feet leave the ground. Sure, maybe if you look above the belt the body looks alright, but below that it doesn't feel natural.

I hope this clears what I meant.

Ehi everyone, thanks for the feedback.
For what is worth it, I didn't really reference properly and started working on this just by memory/idea( a mistake most likely).
At some point I realized it came out quite different and wasn't so happy, but felt it the result could have worked just fine on a character that has some comedic elements like EQ so I pushed in that direction rather than probably abandoning everything.
I suppose this expression "wanted to port his running animation to SVC" was really applicable to my initial feeling so I should have worded it differently.
Glad you didn't delete everything.
#169  February 26, 2024, 07:26:34 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/

I agree that it looks like a fast walk, but for someone of Earthquake's size I think it works.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#170  February 27, 2024, 12:10:03 am
lol, this situation made me chuckle, it was just a misunderstanding. I simply swapped their speeds to cover all angles, not to mock you.

The important one was the the bottom one at walking speed.

Yeah, marching or strolling keywords convey it better. Walking Fast can also be interpreted as Race Walking, where the feet are low to the ground but are not dragged. This one doesn't fit Earthquake though.

If anything, if I could nitpick something is to make Earthquake gasp, opening and closing his mouth for air. Another comedic element.

#171  February 28, 2024, 07:32:04 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
I think one major problem with it is that the timing is not selling the weight very well like in the reference. Slowing down his steps in some frames would do wonders to help towards it, along with giving him more up and down movement. You can get away with moving his whole body up and down more, though you'd just need to readjust the posing of the legs to stay connected to the floor afterwards.

Also, made his belly bounce up when he steps up to give him a nicer sense of gravity.

Shit
#172  February 29, 2024, 12:26:34 pm
If anything, if I could nitpick something is to make Earthquake gasp, opening and closing his mouth for air. Another comedic element.

Actually did this but didn't feel well integrated, I'll see if I can rework it a bit

I think one major problem with it is that the timing is not selling the weight very well like in the reference. Slowing down his steps in some frames would do wonders to help towards it, along with giving him more up and down movement. You can get away with moving his whole body up and down more, though you'd just need to readjust the posing of the legs to stay connected to the floor afterwards.

Also, made his belly bounce up when he steps up to give him a nicer sense of gravity.
thanks! This makes a lot of sense, I'll keep it in mind when I'll rework it.
#173  February 29, 2024, 05:38:18 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/

I love how the chain even seems to sync with the ups and downs that way.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#174  March 07, 2024, 01:55:53 pm
reworked the big boy, should have addressed most issues but let me know if there's anything off still.

#175  March 13, 2024, 08:04:18 pm
    • Brazil
    • silveirademeira.jonathan@gmail.com
http://i.imgur.com/cAR2Vi8.gif
Your signature is too large, please read the forum rules.