YesNoOk

Mugen Bounty 50$ Commission Target: Yamato from Dragoon Might (Read 22714 times)

Started by Carmell, August 28, 2013, 04:21:23 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mugen Bounty 50$ Commission Target: Yamato from Dragoon Might
#141  September 01, 2013, 06:00:15 am
    • USA
Since this is all an experiment anyway...

and like I said I'll take Basara at his word.

I'll pay 50 this month to whoever can get all of the resources the programmer would need for Yamato, sprites, sound fx, hit effects anything else I may have forgot. Anything the programmer/coder would need.

And I'll pay another 50 next month to whoever codes the character

That sound fair to you all?

#142  September 01, 2013, 06:20:05 am
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
How is this an experiment? It's clear that you just want to find someone desperate enough to make characters for $50.
#143  September 01, 2013, 06:38:09 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
50 is not that bad, cvsn was making sprite sets for 100 at one point, I have seen character commisions going for 20 or so; it's just that the rest of the conditions made it seem pretty bad.
#144  September 01, 2013, 07:10:54 am
    • USA
How is this an experiment? It's clear that you just want to find someone desperate enough to make characters for $50.

Experiment. Test. Trying something out. Whatever you want to call it. Basically to see if this whole thing felt worth it to me when it's done. My other Mugen comissions made me more happy than most things I spent my money on, but they were my own characters to be fair...

So yeah this whole thing is just to see how much I feel it's worth it when its done.

If Im happy with the experience. I'll probably keep comissioning.
#145  September 01, 2013, 07:13:21 am
  • Vae Victus!
    • USA
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/lord-kains-small-portraits-140580.0.html
"Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do?
#146  September 01, 2013, 07:15:26 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Nice job taking that quote out of context.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#147  September 01, 2013, 07:18:29 am
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
Since this is all an experiment anyway...

and like I said I'll take Basara at his word.

I'll pay 50 this month to whoever can get all of the resources the programmer would need for Yamato, sprites, sound fx, hit effects anything else I may have forgot. Anything the programmer/coder would need.

And I'll pay another 50 next month to whoever codes the character

That sound fair to you all?

so bottom line, you are now basically offering 100$ to one person who could gather the resources & code/program the character instead of the 50$ before?
at least, you are now reconsidering your offer, which is nice i guess
#148  September 01, 2013, 07:21:05 am
    • USA
Yeah, if one person does both parts they get 100

but even if they could overwork at the moment
I only have 50 bucks left to spend until next month
#149  September 01, 2013, 07:28:17 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
so bottom line, you are now basically offering 100$ to one person who could gather the resources & code/program the character instead of the 50$ before?
at least, you are now reconsidering your offer, which is nice i guess

They also get one month as opossed to one week (I think) which is more reasonable.
#150  September 01, 2013, 11:15:00 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I might try to get the sprite resources for $50. But I don't really trust the OP to pay with the way he's acted in this thread...
#151  September 01, 2013, 04:45:45 pm
well from my point of view the coding part was done in record time on my last 3 characters I commissioned help on.
That would be
- a very simplistic character
- a character with a system the coder already knew very well, or whose moveset the coder already knew very well, including all their properties etc.
- a coder who has a very detailed base and can basically just switch some blocks of codes around and BAM new character.
There are people who can do those things pretty well. Ironmugen, when he was in the first part of his full game (an early attempt that failed and the current one), would do pretty damn good like that. All the characters of a same game usually have very similar behaviors on their attacks, it's streamlined so a copy-paste works with minor tweaks and adjustments.
So yes, it's true that it can be done, but only on very specific cases. Learning a brand new gameplay, from a very obscure game, hard to rip, is completely different and certainly doesn't fit anywhere close to that.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:15:51 pm by DKDC
#152  September 01, 2013, 05:51:13 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, thanks for saving me the typing of the cases in which $50 might be fair.

I might try to get the sprite resources for $50. But I don't really trust the OP to pay with the way he's acted in this thread...

if you have [E]'s moded mame it has dragoon might in the list of supported games; so there is no bt cleaning job necessary, though I am not sure if zoom could get in the way.
#153  September 01, 2013, 11:01:07 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have been trolled!
Did you even read the thread?

Actually, I did.

And I was seriously under the impression that we were trolled.

Think about it, OP made a very stupid offer with unrealistic deadlines, people gets pissed, OP gathers delicious tears to drink and wins.

Not to mention, at the time that I posted that quote, we had not heard from him after the day he posted that "offer". My impression was that he had his fill of tears and ran.

Ah well, I still think that this job offer is a very stupid one.

A quality character takes many weeks and months to complete. One week is unrealistic and $50 is hardly worth people's time and trouble. If you want people to actually take on the job, offer much more realistic rates or lower your standards.

And if the character is not up to his "standards", he would not pay the creator. What kind of safeguards against the situation where the OP will take the character and not pay the creator by lying that it is not up to standard, effectively moving the goal posts and cheating the creator of their payments? I know of artists where dishonest people have cheated them of their payments by claiming the final work was not to their specifications, even though it was.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#154  September 01, 2013, 11:08:37 pm
  • Pixel Animator
  • "I'm done trying with you."
    • USA
^ This has happenned to me before... just saying.
#155  September 01, 2013, 11:11:47 pm
    • USA

He'll pay, Anjel coded some shit for him in the past. Try to ignore his shitty attitude and give it a try :P
#156  September 02, 2013, 05:40:05 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I still think the time limit is lame

Experiment. Test. Trying something out. Whatever you want to call it. Basically to see if this whole thing felt worth it to me when it's done. My other Mugen comissions made me more happy than most things I spent my money on, but they were my own characters to be fair...

So yeah this whole thing is just to see how much I feel it's worth it when its done.

If Im happy with the experience. I'll probably keep comissioning.
Well, it was PoTs and your characters were really simple and provided to him (and not to mention OC) in comparison to a Dragoon Might char who I'm sure anyone would have trouble getting source accurate.

#157  September 02, 2013, 06:00:30 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I don't think his standars are that high if anjel coded for him, somethign absed of kfm's parameters and velocities that reflect ripped timing shoudl be enough.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#158  September 02, 2013, 08:27:30 am
    • USA
Anyway before I upped the price to that another 50 I actually wanted to at least get my own copy of Dragoon Might working so I could check your/the programmer's work a bit and also see just how hard it was going to be to sprite rip.

So I tried MAME version after MAME version

and every last one of them crashed my comp...

so until when/if that changes Id be going in rather blind as to the true accuracy.

But even then youre probably right. While Im smart enough to know when basic clsn boxes on a character are out and out ridiculous or just lazily programmed like auto wrap. My opinions and whether a character is accurate or not or hell even whether a character is good or not are admittedly that of a layman's. Im not going to catch things that someone who lived and breathed the game might catch or another programmer might catch.

I'm only going to catch what a layman testing out the character would catch. Of course Id like the character to be the best it could be in theory but I probably wouldnt call it bad even if it wasnt perfect.

When I mentioned being harsh about not being a rookie creator I probably wasnt even holding it up to your (not you specifically) imagined harshness even then.

But even then there's plenty of creators who have sites full of characters out there who dont pass my layman's test. I cant think of a good metaphor except don't hand me Ryu and tell me he's accurate when he's missing things like his trademark hadoken. I think I'll notice

Is there actually something wrong with anjel's work or is that just some healthy ribbing? Either way he did right by me
#159  September 02, 2013, 04:03:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
just joking around, i think TDS might rip the sprites so let's just see what happens.
#160  September 03, 2013, 05:59:25 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
I don't think his standars are that high if anjel coded for him, somethign absed of kfm's parameters and velocities that reflect ripped timing shoudl be enough.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

:cawg:
My shitty mugen stuff: