YesNoOk

College Dorm Experiences? (Read 2435 times)

Started by Janis L.C.V., July 14, 2018, 02:58:31 am
Share this topic:
College Dorm Experiences?
#1  July 14, 2018, 02:58:31 am
  • JNS
  • The One and Only
    • battlecraze.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
I'm soon about to move into a dorm on my transfer college campus. I'm pretty excited because I'll be getting a place of my own for more Independence, but also nervous since I'll be away from home for extended periods of time, and living on my own is something new for me.

I bring up this thread to ask fellow Guild members of any stories they have to share about their lives on college campus, and maybe advice for someone new to the whole thing like myself.

玉と碎けよ!
Mugen Things I Did/Battle Craze!!
Re: College Dorm Experiences?
#2  July 14, 2018, 03:36:09 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
The most I've ever spent in a dormitory was 5 weeks for some language-immersion program here. Only advice I'll give you from my own experience is bring earplugs/ear muffs. For the first week of said program, I had people partying in a dorm room right next to mine, almost non-stop. Although it died down the following weeks, it still happened sometimes, and boy was it irksome.

Another thing you should do is mentally prepare yourself for encounters with crazy first-year students I guess. A friend of mine who was doing a year at a local university had a lot of those (one apparently shat in the laundry machine, too).

Other than that, try to enjoy yourself.
This is a generic forum signature.
#3  July 14, 2018, 06:08:28 am
drama lots of it ...  college students like to think they're experts on things , so be prepare for drama. if you got the money it's better to rent an apartment, that's what i did. well at that time i had a girl friend who shared the bills with me.
#4  July 14, 2018, 07:27:32 am
if you have a questionable character as a roommate, set up boundaries between you and him and don't back down if he does something that will negatively effect you.
keep your room clean, don't throw around your dirty clothes, make a studying/homework schedule for your classes, and don't be afraid to make some friends with your classmates to help you if you feel that course is a bit difficult, although try to help them too aswell.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞

lui

#5  July 14, 2018, 10:43:31 am
    • USA
try to know what type of roommates you have first before settling in too much. when i started out in college i had my roommates constantly steal my food left and right and sometimes even electronics despite the fact they seemed like nice guys at first.

ended up moving to my own apartment and ive been happy ever since
#6  July 14, 2018, 10:33:55 pm
  • JNS
  • The One and Only
    • battlecraze.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
Only advice I'll give you from my own experience is bring earplugs/ear muffs. For the first week of said program, I had people partying in a dorm room right next to mine, almost non-stop. Although it died down the following weeks, it still happened sometimes, and boy was it irksome.
This is something I fret, how noisy my neighbors could be. I pray that no one does anything extremely rash like bang on the dorm doors for any reason.

I have a pair of noise canceling headphones I've kept since I was a youngin', so noise wouldn't be that much of a problem.

keep your room clean, don't throw around your dirty clothes, make a studying/homework schedule for your classes, and don't be afraid to make some friends with your classmates to help you if you feel that course is a bit difficult, although try to help them too aswell.
This is very good advice. I'm kinda weak when it comes to social skills but I've been getter better with it through community college. I'll be sure to try and help when I can, and get help when I need it.

I also plan to join clubs to seek out new friends. It worked pretty well in community college, so I'm giving it another go.

try to know what type of roommates you have first before settling in too much.

I'm actually getting a dorm all to myself after requesting for it and giving my reasons. (My disability, need for a quiet place to myself if under anxiety, previously mentioned mismatched social skills.)

when i started out in college i had my roommates constantly steal my food left and right and sometimes even electronics despite the fact they seemed like nice guys at first.

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :nike:

玉と碎けよ!
Mugen Things I Did/Battle Craze!!
#7  July 15, 2018, 04:39:34 am
lol dorm mates stealing food is norm. so yeah you'd better not stock too much food.
#8  July 15, 2018, 04:43:19 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Prepare for all your kitchenware to become communal and also not be washed when you're ready to use it.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time