YesNoOk

(Dudley by a good few) Rowen's PotS Edits (Read 1858046 times)

Started by RagingRowen, May 09, 2019, 12:08:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: (NEW: Vanessa) Rowen's Quick PotS Edits
#201  July 18, 2019, 12:26:43 am
    • USA
I had no other way of @ing the guy. I tried here and Youtube, but just got smug responses, or all those other bitter guys would comment. Pent up frustration @ him. Not the place though. Why would you say an edit isn’t a personal attack geez then? There is no logic in you wording it this way.  I’ve been wanting to debate your logic for a while now. I’ll pm you to continue.
#202  July 18, 2019, 12:45:34 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I've had lots of people edit my stuff, and I pay it no mind. I've also made a few edits of my own. People have different tastes, and sometimes they might want to tweak stuff that others have made (and then they also might release it so they can share it with others) and that's cool! It doesn't mean that they are somehow slighting the original author, or that original author's creation. The editor just wanted to share their take on it, and that's a cool thing to see!

It's just not a big deal.
#203  July 18, 2019, 12:47:15 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Why would you say an edit isn’t a personal attack geez then?

So if i understand, someone editing your stuff is it a "personal attack" on you?

Ok, now i'm done for real. I don't want any conversation with 2D4.

Let's get back on topic for God's sake
Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:55:07 am by 【MFG】gui0007
#204  July 18, 2019, 12:49:33 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

He likely mean't mentioning/messaging you, at least that's how I read it.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#205  July 18, 2019, 12:54:16 am
#206  July 18, 2019, 12:58:18 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
#207  July 18, 2019, 01:06:38 am
    • USA
Let's try and get back on topic, shall we?
#208  July 18, 2019, 01:20:42 am
    • USA
This really wasn’t about the edits, my initial post was as just a suggestion which op doesn’t have to follow. Anyone else I was just replying to, besides the obvious, I kept it very direct. Keep doing what you are doing. Hey, we gave this topic more views.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:31:44 am by 2Dee4ever
#209  July 18, 2019, 01:40:09 am
    • USA
I'm really gonna have to insist people start posting on topic because this is getting ridiculous.
#210  July 18, 2019, 01:43:37 am
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
Not in touch with what's happening between 2Dee4ever and【MFG】gui0007, but would like to give my two cents regarding his original point towards RagingRowen, the thing with the quality of the edits, mainly because I feel that I've been in the position he's refering to.

When I first discovered this forum and the CotM characters (thanks to HDBZ) I noticed that some of them played great while others not that much. It was not always about accuracy (tho it was mainly about accuracy), especially when going thru POTS Styled characters. Some of them just felt clunky af, with basic shit like movement all messed up. At first I tried to figure out how the fuck you can program something into this engine, but the first impression was honestly way too scary. By googling I found out about Fighter Factory and the first thing I did was editing disfunctional characters while using functional characters as reference. For someone that doesn't know anything about cns, making a character move the way is supposed to was just a huge win. By editing minor things from different characters I progressively got better at both understanding and "writing" cns syntaxis.

Three months ago I was hyped about SamSho 2019 and set on programming a character by myself. I studied Haohmaru, Nakoruru and Genjuro from SSVSP, and the first two from CvS2, and got something I'm somewhat proud of. A lot of things were solved by googling. A lot of things were solved by constanstly bothering people at MUGEN.NET, and particulary annoying DivineWolf, and Jmorphman. Some inaccurate data came literally counting pixels and needs to be fixed at some point. But it was a damn good learning experience. Blanka was originally supposed to be an edit of varo's version, but after working on Genjuro, I noticed that it would be actually easier to work on him from scratch (not really, it was using Jmorph's Beni as base). Gues what, it turned out to be another excelent learning experience.

Right now I'm working on my third character and all I can say is that after struggling with programming a move for 5 days, getting it to work was not only super rewarding but in fact, another huge learning experience. I was stubborn and refused to mimic the way other people coded the move just because of the challenge. I'm not saying all of this because I want to brag about getting better at MUGEN, in fact, I'm pretty sure there's still a lot of room for improvement, but I want to point out that I do agree with 2Dee4ever when he says that editing an actual POTS character (or Jmorphman's, or DivineWolf) is better for learning/improving. Just using the character as a template and going for a serious CvS2 conversion is super rewarding. It doesn't really matter if it's an existing character from CvS2 or a "newcommer" (tho converting an existing character could give you the vibes on how the velocity values are usually decided).

Right now, and I swear I'm not saying this to be rude, the characters are not truly fixed. Most of the problems present on T. Hawk's original version are still on your edit. Same with Vanessa. She's somewhat visually consistent but does not play like a CvS2 character to be honest. Of course keep using these edits as a learning experience, but at some point I suggest you to ditch the "Edit Boy" epithet and create something with "RagingRowen" as author label. Feel free to ask on discord, and read posts (there's so much basic but important stuff that is documented on MFG is not even funny). I've received nothing but help and feedback from the community, so you'll probably feel as warm as me.

Good luck in the future. And sorry if this seems off topic, it is not my intention.
#211  July 18, 2019, 01:44:18 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA

You have a fan base. Use it to actually help/teach. You put no effort into these "updates". To me, you don't care about them if you can't even put any time into these works. Yes, that pisses me off. It's not my place to tell anyone anything yes, most people just ignore it. I'm not saying anything to put anyone down(besides you). Things have been stagnate for a while now, people have no choice, but to accept anything they can get their hands on. I apologize for saying that, though I don't want your respect. Sorry for derailing, but I think you all shouldn't be content with this when some of these new guys put hrs/weeks into their stuff, you deserve that same quality if anything. If you really are okay with bare minimum then fine.
Now this is where I disagree with you. If Rowen wanted to update Terry for example, he could have updated CrazyKoopa's version and saved himself the time where most of the feedback I presented don't have some of those issues. But no, he choose to fix Memo's instead as I'm aware that his was pretty unfinished and left abandoned by it's own creator. But if Rowen goes out all the way to fix everything I mentioned, then I can officially say he put "effort" to it. So cut some slack already, you abandoned you own work so you don't have the right to call him or gui007 out.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#212  July 18, 2019, 01:54:33 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
PM'ed you on private 2D4, but will be my only reply on private.

I'll back to work on Jedah and in another update for Guy, i see some few things that needs to be fixed on him, specially his Special Intro as Rowen and some others around mentioned before.

Now please.
Let's get back on topic cause Jmorph is right.
I'm really gonna have to insist people start posting on topic because this is getting ridiculous.
#213  July 18, 2019, 01:55:21 am
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

Yeah I should probably get back to T. Hawk at some point.
Of course Terry's still gonna be updated.
The next edit is yet to be decided. I'll probably be multi-tasking between Leo and Ryu.
I still need to get back to Asura one day aswell.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#214  July 18, 2019, 01:56:36 am
    • USA
Hmm... at this point it might just be better to split this off into its own topic because it seems like a discussion people really wanna get in on?
#215  July 18, 2019, 02:05:23 am
    • USA
I enjoyed reading that Charma and thanks for sharing that. Not everyone is going to be into that though, I’m seeing. Solid, that post wasn’t to Rowen, he just replied at the same time coming out above me.

Ultimately do whatever works best for you. Again, Charma right on the money, damn.
#216  July 18, 2019, 02:13:22 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Hmm... at this point it might just be better to split this off into its own topic because it seems like a discussion people really wanna get in on?

Well Jmorph, for me it's done. I PM'ed 2D4 already.

I need to relax after all of this. You guys have no idea how bad i get for 2D4 accusing me like that.
I just say that, even that i'm a mess on coding, i learned a lot when i started editing characters instead of just editing or converting screenpacks and stages. Just compare to my very first edits like Warusaki's R.Mika or Lucy with the ones i edited recently. Of course great fellas like Rowen, SolidZone 26 and KOF_HERO_77 for example gave me such help but i'm glad that now i'm able to fix issues or adding new sprites on a character without mess with the whole thing. Sadly i'm still won't get on Cody. I really want to edit him at first but i getting unmotivated when i see that he's beyond my poor coding skills.

That's why i'm still have a long way to go.
Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:32:54 am by 【MFG】gui0007
#217  July 18, 2019, 02:48:21 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA

I enjoyed reading that Charma and thanks for sharing that. Not everyone is going to be into that though, I’m seeing. Solid, that post wasn’t to Rowen, he just replied at the same time coming out above me.

Ultimately do whatever works best for you. Again, Charma right on the money, damn.
Oh, I see. I'll admit I did miss that. It kinda confused me when you didn't quote him, that's why I thought you were. But seriously, gui or Rowen weren't the only one doing this kind of stuff. Prime SC was too before he stopped. Even Jmorphman himself admitted he edited works such as CrazyKoopa's Eagle and Ryo. In fact, I would have probably done it as well if no one else was going to. But in the end, I figured PotS styled characters are too complex for me, so I decided to give them the feedback instead as I have a keen eye on them. So yeah, if the original creators went offline and left their characters unfinished for years, it's up to people like these two to finish them. Just because you're still here doesn't mean they are.

To Rowen, I look forward to seeing that updated Terry. I was kinda worried at first that you weren't using CrazyKoopa's version to update him, but you can actually finish Memo's version, I'll be very impressed to see if he feels more polished than ever.

And to gui, even though I couldn't spend the time editing characters myself, I'm glad to be able to contribute for you and Rowen some way, shape or form. So thanks for that.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#218  July 18, 2019, 03:07:04 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
And to gui, even though I couldn't spend the time editing characters myself, I'm glad to be able to contribute for you and Rowen some way, shape or form. So thanks for that.

I thank you aswell for the great help, specially on the feedbacks. :)
#219  July 18, 2019, 06:09:01 am
    • USA
    • r.coburn08@yahoo.com
Whew! Got Real Spicy In Here!
Re: (Cody and Vanessa) Rowen's Quick PotS Edits
#220  July 18, 2019, 03:51:32 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
i just got cody and right off the bat he's add004 compatible, why is that?