YesNoOk

entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 1324427 times)

Started by Titiln, June 18, 2011, 03:16:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread
#4081  May 24, 2017, 04:17:54 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#4082  May 24, 2017, 03:11:42 pm
  • SNK is life
#4083  May 24, 2017, 03:22:00 pm
this is death race all over again, paul w. s. anderson and his cronies just can't let a franchise die.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#4084  May 24, 2017, 11:55:03 pm
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
Tbf I still have a soft spot for the first RE movie, watch it every once in a while when it's on TV. I find the second one ok (I liked it way more when I was younger though), the rest though... yeah.

Also Paul W.S Anderson made Event Horizon which I just love, not that it has to do with the topic but I just wanted to say it :x

On a different topic, reviews for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie have arrived and... welp: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pirates_of_the_caribbean_dead_men_tell_no_tales

I've honestly never been a fan of the series (never seen any except for the first one), but it's still a bummer that people who like it have gotten another mediocre entry :T
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#4085  May 25, 2017, 12:33:11 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Sounds from the reviews like this one suffers from the same problem as the last one

Too much focus on Jack Sparrow
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#4086  May 25, 2017, 12:56:31 am
welcome to castlemania
#4087  May 25, 2017, 12:58:16 am
    • USA
I don't know why I thought it was going to be CG or live action
This time
This time
#4088  May 25, 2017, 01:26:24 am
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
I figured it would be a Western Animation.

I mean, with Warren Ellis writing I can't imagine how this could be bad. Looks pretty cool too.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#4089  May 25, 2017, 01:36:49 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

I'm hoping its going to be just as good as the 2nd Vampire Hunter D film.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#4090  May 25, 2017, 01:38:28 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I need 8-bit Narcos and Stranger Things.

Oh, Castlevania looks fine too.
#4091  May 25, 2017, 03:56:24 am
  • professional white boy
  • god, I wish that were me
    • USA
    • reddit.com/user/Bob8644
Holy SHIT that looks better than I anticipated.
#4092  May 25, 2017, 05:22:30 pm
    • Peru
#4093  May 25, 2017, 10:11:13 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Batman and Harley Quinn trailer

Not sure about Melissa Rauch's voice for Harley
#4094  May 25, 2017, 10:46:38 pm
    • USA
No one's ever gonna live up to Arleen Sorkin, but I thought Rauch was pretty decent; it's just weird seeing the voice come out of the exact same version of the character that Sorkin originated and defined.

Speaking of, is this like, an actual DCAU project? It's pretty mindblowing how much better the animation is for this than any of the other DC animated movies; there's a reason those Bruce Timm designs work!

welcome to castlemania
[youtube]https://youtu.be/iIMrFnl5NiA[/youtube]
hell fucking yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

So, I went through James Wan's catalog, and I gotta say ... I'm not very impressed. He produced the Insidious and the Conjuring sagas, the most mild and biteless of horror movies. I dunno man, I still say RE should stay dead, nothing good will come out of this.
Eh, I think he's got a pretty good record for horror movies. But I kinda hope this RE reboot movie doesn't try that direction anyway: the games have almost always been a series of the game equivalent of schlocky B-movies in the action-horror genre (and IMO, that's a spectrum broad enough to cover everything from the insane and ludicrous highs of RE5 to the more grounded and tense—but still pretty ridiculous—RE7).

Hopefully, Wan producing the new movie doesn't mean they're trying to chase a purely horror Resident Evil movie, cuz he's been directing a few action movies lately (Furious 7 and the upcoming Aquaman). I just don't think that's been a strength of the franchise!

Universal has long been trying to develop their own cinematic universe (à la Marvel and DC), one using their famous movie monsters like Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. They've even had a false start in Dracula Untold, which was supposed to launch the entire franchise, but has since been quietly forgotten.

But now they're going all in.

The "Dark Universe" will be kicked off by next month's The Mummy, followed by Bride of Frankenstein (directed by Bill Condon, and starring Javier Bardem as Frankenstein's monster). Characters who will appear in The Mummy but go on to star in more of these monster movies are Tom Cruise's character, Sofia Boutella (the eponymous Mummy), and Russell Crowe's Dr. Jekyll. The final member of the initial ensemble is Johnny Depp, who will play the Invisible Man (it seems unwise to attach the visibly-on-a-downward-spiral Johnny Depp in anything, but then again, he's just gonna be doing voice over lines cuz his character is invisible; no need for the production to get put on hold until 3PM everyday because that's when he decides he wants to get up, nor will there be any problems involving the earpiece he uses because he refuses to learn lines anymore).

But uh, yeah. This is a thing. Lots of companies have tried very hard to replicate Marvel's enormous success with their own cinematic universes, and they've all panned out, with maybe the one exception of DC (and that seems kinda debatable at this point). I don't think this is an inherently bad idea, but I can't help but see this as putting the cart before the horse: it just seems odd to announce all this before the first movie has even come out.

And speaking of ill-advised attempts at creating a cinematic universe of one's own: Sony has officially announced the second movie in their upcoming Spider-Man movie universe that may or may not actually include Spider-Man: entitled Silver & Black, starring Spider-Man allies (and occasional antagonists) Silver Sable (a mercenary who hunts down war criminals) and Black Cat (who, let's be real here, is very blatantly a ripoff of Catwoman. Sorry not sorry.)

I'm really not sure what to make of these Sony Spider-Man movies.
#4095  May 25, 2017, 11:01:53 pm
It's rather curious that they decided to make a montage of the old movies and basically one big speech like that. It's almost like they want to tell us that the new movies will be more in a classic style (just done with modern techniques), up close and personal, rather than mostly cheesy large scale action everywhere of today. And I don't really want to get my hopes up like that.

Speaking of the Sony Spiderverse, what happened to Life ? People started thinking it might be a secret prequel to Venom for various reasons some time ago (plus Venom is finally on track to being a serious thing with Tom Hardy), and I know a guy who saw it but doesn't know much about these things and from what little he could tell me, it sounds like it could fit, even though they avoided making any obvious connection, like it could be up to interpretation. How did that pan out, I haven't seen the Internet explode about that theory since the release ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:06:17 pm by Byakko
#4096  May 25, 2017, 11:16:41 pm
    • USA
I think the deal with the Life/Venom thing was that the movie wasn't made with any intent of it being a prequel, but then somehow a rumor got started alleging it was in fact a prequel, and when the director and stars of the movie were asked about it during their press tour, they all played coy about it to drum up interest.
#4097  May 25, 2017, 11:21:58 pm
    • USA
I would be severely annoyed if they did a movie about Venom, a character with all the powers of Spider-Man who has a great big honkin spider logo on his chest and tried to do it without any connection to Spider-man whatsoever

Be like doing a Catwoman movie without a connection to Batman
This time
This time
#4098  May 25, 2017, 11:35:06 pm
The venom symbiote itself doesn't need Spiderman to arrive on Earth, and from what little I heard of this movie, it could be possible to connect the dots. It's what they decide to do in the actual Venom movie, for the symbiote to latch on to the spider motif, that will be important. The thing with Life is that it came out of nowhere, and it would be a really amusing idea that they might have come up with something like that, so I'd rather wish it to be true. Even if they start Venom with the symbiote on Earth and looking vaguely similar to the Life monster (until it goes spider motif), and never say where it came from, it would be enough to say "yep, I'm sure it was a prequel after all". It'd be a nice headcannon.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#4099  May 26, 2017, 01:47:46 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#4100  May 26, 2017, 03:05:22 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Batman and Harley Quinn trailer
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi3yJTc8Gjk[/youtube]
Not sure about Melissa Rauch's voice for Harley

That wasn't too bad if you ask me, but something caught me by surprise... isn't Alec Holland the human name for Swamp Thing? When did he go rogue?