YesNoOk

SFII World Warrior Multi Character 12 in 1 Project (Read 6068 times)

Started by Sheng Long, December 16, 2014, 09:09:25 am
Share this topic:
SFII World Warrior Multi Character 12 in 1 Project
#1  December 16, 2014, 09:09:25 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
So, instead of finding that old WIP topic of this I did months ago, so to NOT necro bump it, I am creating a new topic with some ACTUAL PROGRESS report!

[VIDEO]

[SCREEN SHOTS]
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

PLEASE READ FOR INFO:
-----------------------------------
This is a MUGEN character project that was started back around April 2014. It didn't go anywhere since then, until recently a few months ago, I picked this project back up.
I was inspired by that AWESOME SFII World Warrior Boss Hack by Yumeji to create this project for MUGEN, and how much I favor SFII World Warrior game play over any other version of SFII. I actually grew up as a kid playing the original SFII on the SNES, and occasionally played it at the arcades of its time. Though I also enjoyed the NES, and how it had its moments starting with the original Super Mario Bros. But that's another story, for another day.

6 Characters have been created. Ryu, Ken, and the 4 "unplayable" bosses Balrog, Vega, Sagat, and M.Bison.
Only 6 more characters remain until this project is done. You may know that I recorded an older MUGEN video from before, which already consisted of the 4 World Warrior bosses playing through as M.Bison.
Please take this little character project as an updated version of that, and a replacement for those guys separately, as I started the base for this system on them. That is, until I decide to ever want to update those guys separately one day. But that's not likely, any time soon.

- Proper SFII Select Screen? YES
- Fireball hit pause slowdowns? YES.
- Hit side walls when falling down? YES!
- Win quote compatibility? YES!
- You Win/Lose flashing text? YES!
- SFII Rainbow style character cycle in game battle? YES!
- Separate Character.DEF files available for each character? YES!
- MUGEN 1.0 Standard/Wide Screen Compatibility? YES
- WinMugen compatibility? NO. NOT YET. Maybe later.

The current plan is to release this with the first 6 characters done as a Christmas present, if everything goes well. As of this video, There is NO kind of AI coded for any of the characters. But I am planning to get to work on that before I release this. If I somehow get behind on work due to real life, or something else I have on mind, I may end up saving the release for another day. We'll see. :)

EDIT: Changed directory for SFII title image location on top.
Also, website for character info + download (coming soon) now open. :)
http://gcnmario.free.fr/mugen/sf2ww.html
W.I.P. files to date have been uploaded, and available for resource purposes. :)

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:47:10 pm by Sheng Long
Re: SFII World Warrior Multi Character 12 in 1 Project
#2  December 16, 2014, 09:44:27 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
I all can say is wow so far, very interesting concept my friend. I will keep a close eye on this one, being a die hard fan.
#3  December 16, 2014, 09:45:10 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia
Holy shit, this looks AWESOME!!! :D :D :D I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!!!
#4  December 17, 2014, 08:47:07 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Boxer has alignment issues, at least in the sample picture. He's floating in the air, compared to Dictator's ground line
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#5  December 17, 2014, 09:07:23 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
This is NOT an alignment issue of itself. However, It's the exact alignment used for EVERYONE when I freeze their X Y offsets in the CPS1 arcade game. They all have perfect X Y axis. If I move the boxer's Y offsets down just to fix the offset of the shadow, it won't match anyone elses Y offsets from in game rips any more. So I'd have to move everyone elses X Y feet down just to fix the boxers Y position offsets.

The alignment of these sprites in SFF un-cropped as they are, are X-180, Y-200.
There are some that actually DO match these coordinates perfectly,like Ryu for example. Guile's feet match these as well. But others like E.Honda's feet doesn't match correctly.

Since SFII never had MUGEN's type of shadows, they had their own type of 'round' shadows underneath each character, The only way I could correct this is to use these CPS1 arcade shadows underneath instead of using MUGEN's default stage shadows. But I imagine they would look ugly on some stages anyway. So..... Kind of tough decision here TBH. :P

#6  December 17, 2014, 09:18:46 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia
I was wondering, is there any chance of you including your Sheng Long in the project?
#7  December 17, 2014, 12:17:56 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Interesting to know. If I were you, I'd add the SF2 round shadows just for the sake of perfect conversion. Mugen's default shadows will certainly look horrible in cases such as Honda or Boxer, so use the same shadows used in the original game. Besides, your characters are supposed to be played on SF2 stages, so don't worry about these folks using the character on a different stage.

Another option is to allow players to choose between mugen's default shadows or SF2 ones via config menu, which would be the best option to make everyone happy
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#8  December 17, 2014, 02:15:09 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
This is gotta be EPIC! :D
Seriously man, i'm very exciting with this project.
#9  December 17, 2014, 07:04:06 pm
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
Very interesting and ambitious project you've got going here. Looking forward to trying it out and seeing further progress.
#10  December 17, 2014, 07:42:15 pm
  • A foosball to the face!
    • USA
    • fretterg@gmail.com
I can help with the AI Coding for ya, man, but it'll work for 1.0+ though.

Also, the shadows to be like in SFII: WW should work fine anyways.
#11  December 17, 2014, 08:12:12 pm
    • mattyboy2002@hotmail.com
I can't wait to see the finished product I looks so close to the aracde game its hard to tell the difference
and if your aiming for making a accurate feel for SF2 WW characters are you planning to import some of
the infamous glitches like Guile's "Phantom Throw"?   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j-PGlDDjqE
#12  December 17, 2014, 08:39:57 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
So here's the thing. I did the X Y offset positions on the feet here:

It compares where the MUGEN shadows WILL be if the Y offset was set to 195, and comparing to the offsets they are at now Y 200.
I also showed the fireball projectiles X and Y offset to show they were ripped in place, and setting their X Y with everyone else.

As I said before, some characters Y at 200 are perfect. But some at Y 200 maybe too high.
Setting them at 195 would be perfect, but others feet would be too low.

I was wondering, is there any chance of you including your Sheng Long in the project?
We'll see.... I'd like to get the original cast done first before I do anything else. Also, I'm still not confident on Sheng Long's SFII design, since I don't have much to work with. XD

I can't wait to see the finished product I looks so close to the aracde game its hard to tell the difference
and if your aiming for making a accurate feel for SF2 WW characters are you planning to import some of
the infamous glitches like Guile's "Phantom Throw"?   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j-PGlDDjqE
Actually, that glitch was fixed in later versions, and ports of SFII World Warrior. But I suppose I can try doing it for the sheer randomness. :XD:

Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:44:01 pm by Sheng Long
#13  December 17, 2014, 10:18:44 pm
  • The Man Without The Plan
    • USA
This is gonna be epic! I always wanted sf2ww characters in mugen!  :D
Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:19:54 pm by Thojoewhit
#14  December 18, 2014, 02:04:28 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I'm loving this project! Its great see something different like this come up.

BC

#15  December 18, 2014, 06:38:15 pm
    • UK
Great work!
Accepting commissions
#16  December 18, 2014, 07:41:27 pm
  • Nori
    • somecomputersomewhere@yahoo.com
More cheers, this looks great!  Taggin to keep an eye.
#17  December 19, 2014, 02:18:10 am
  • I'm a llama!
Very nice and creative if it wasn't you I wouldn't think this would happen... guessing shenlong is going to be a hidden character LOL  also found this for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb2iinEisuk  just funny stuff of guiles
Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:24:10 am by AiRiC
#18  December 20, 2014, 08:19:59 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
I doubt I can make Guile's infamous glitches/bugs 100% accurate, as I've said they were fixed in later versions of SFII World Warrior. But..... I'll see what I can do when I get around to him.

Also, I have begun coding in the CPU AI systems for the available characters by far. Ryu, Ken, M.Bison, and Balrog now have a good AI system. I have just started on Vega's AI. So all that is left to do is the rest of Vega, and Sagat's AI. Then I'll probably do some more tweaks if needed. So, everything is looking good so far for the Christmas release day. :)