YesNoOk

Feedback to Warnings/Decisions (Read 865285 times)

Started by Iced, February 24, 2012, 09:43:26 pm
Share this topic:

GOH

Re: Feedback to Warnings/Decisions
#561  August 25, 2012, 02:06:15 am
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
I like me some SQL. :O
#562  August 25, 2012, 02:08:01 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
It's how it sounded. Don't play cute.
I'm not playing cute because that's not at all how it sounded, unless you're taking crazy pills I guess. Which maybe you are, but I'm not gonna leap to unfounded assumptions!

I was just using a metaphor: Vans is like a farmer who produced many wonderful crops (MUGEN characters), but then, for some unknown reason, decided to burn all those crops and prevent anyone from using his field (his website with all the guides). It's very upsetting and nobody knows what's going on and we're all worried about Vans and stuff. Don't be a dick and try and start shit.
#563  August 25, 2012, 02:10:15 am
The posts still exist and it's not like he broke into all the computers on the Internet to delete all copies of his creations. You don't start shit to prove I twist your words.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#564  August 25, 2012, 02:11:08 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
^ I'm sorry guys but I have to agree with Jmorph on all that.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#565  August 25, 2012, 02:11:16 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
The posts still exist and it's not like he broke into all the computers on the Internet to delete all copies of his creations. You don't start shit.
omg shut the fuck up and leave now. this is the most inane shit ever.
#566  August 25, 2012, 02:11:55 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
^ Ditto.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#567  August 25, 2012, 02:23:29 am
    • Germany
I restored the account because normal members can't delete their accounts either since that kinda thing greatly reduces data consistency and searchability.

As far as we know, he didn't leave in a huff, to me it looks like he wrapped up his stuff and left. That kinda sucks for us because we lost a bro, but we shouldn't be selfish about it, it's his right to take down his downloads and stuff. If he has real life matters to sort out, reducing his online presence sounds like a reasonable first step to me.
#568  August 25, 2012, 02:33:16 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Thank you Val.
Carry on.
#569  August 25, 2012, 03:12:59 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It is pretty selfish to remove his tutorials as those had less likely hood of being downloaded/archived.

Whatever he's doing IRL he could have at the least given the tutorials and blogs to someone so they could stay online.

And yes, THANKS VAL! :)
#570  August 25, 2012, 05:21:34 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Apparently he has implied it in the past but none of us figured he was just going to outright quit with no warning and do this. Not even Trinity.
#571  August 27, 2012, 02:55:34 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
I didn't expect my account to be resurrected like this...

These past few weeks have been incredibly difficult for me, I snapped and deleted everything. Account lost or not, it was a decision I had thought of many times and had no regrets.

Very few people actually know the type of lifestyle that I'm living right now. I study 14 hours a day, 5 days a week. Have tests that last for as long as 6 hours during my weekends, and I'm shoving in practicing fighting games, learning a new language and whatever's left of my hobby time in. Every single day of my semester is both physically and emotionally tiring for me.

The type of environment I'm studying in is one of the most taxing I've ever had to work in. I try my best, I study every single day almost every chance I get but it's a place where failing changes the perception other people have of you. If you fail too much your opinion starts to become worthless, you become isolated until you can "step your game up", people just stop taking you seriously if you lag behind. School has not been kind to me lately, and I sometimes wonder if I even have the talent for it. Keeping up with people that are already professionals is really damn hard for me, and the feeling of having a worthless opinion only makes it worse for me every single day that passes.

In my home I have the peer pressure of doing everything right. I used to be scolded very harshly if I got anything short of a perfect grade. I have some conflicting views regarding my future and what I plan to do with my life after college, and the closer I get to my goal the more stressed I become as I feel like doing what I want to do will upset my family.

I'm a person that feels an incredible amount of shame and sadness with failure. This is how I feel regarding my MUGEN work.

I had two dreams when I started programming for MUGEN:

1. Coding a KOF character good enough to be used in KOF Zillion.
2. Finishing a complete game. The reason I coded 1 thing of everything was so I had enough experience.

And a recent one:

3. To help new coders through the many difficulties I had when I was first coding.

During this time I feel like I couldn't complete any of these things. And not only this, I also feel like I have failed at being a good member of this community.

I've read and discussed many different points of view about MUGEN. I was staff in 3 almost radically different places at once (Here, Mugenguild, TrinityMUGEN and Randomselect) and have had the opportunity to understand situations from these 3 sides at once. It has been very difficult for me keeping up with everyone and everything at once, especially when there's conflict between any of those 3.

I've been worried and sad for this community because I sometimes feel like there's unbreakable walls separating very passionate people from working with each other. It breaks my heart and is really hard on me when I feel like I'm the only one that can see the situation from both sides. This has been a difficult position for me for a very long time, and sometimes feel incredibly impotent by not being able to help this situation.

Abandoning my admin/moderator duties has only made it worse for me as I feel like I'm slacking off. It might not look like it, but I do worry, and I do check things from time to time, and I feel incredibly guilty for making the staff look bad in all sides by not being active.

I deleted my things because I felt like a failure. I can never shake the feeling of my work being completely worthless in many fronts, I don't even know what kind of work I'm demanding from myself anymore but I may have set absolutely impossible standards for myself.

I honestly don't even know what type of footing I'm on right now. I rarely received comments about my articles when I wrote them, and I had the feeling they weren't that useful, so I got rid of those as well.

I feel like something hit me and finally made me broken as a person. I don't really want to argue anymore, I just wanted to leave quietly and be done with everything. I'm not in a position where I want to discuss the morality of me taking down my own work, if I have to be banned or whatever due to my actions that's okay as well, I don't mind.

If this account has to be kept alive as well that's okay, I'm sorry for deleting it. I'm sorry.

I put my articles back and I will try to reupload my work if I have the time.

I'm sorry for everything.
#572  August 27, 2012, 04:49:12 am
    • USA
Hope stuff gets better for you, best of luck.
#573  August 27, 2012, 06:02:23 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
I forgive you, Vans. I hope everything works out.
#574  August 27, 2012, 06:14:29 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Real life is indeed quite stressful at times. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.
#575  August 27, 2012, 06:24:26 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Nobody will ever think less of anyone for taking their real life commitments seriously. Or leaving behind this little hobby for said commitments. Your desire to leave is perfectly understandable and nobody will think less of you for it. You have made one hell of a difference in one corner of the community and that's KoF. You've taken it further than sander did and even if people enjoy other characters more they'll hold yours up as the example.

In an interesting thing, once Val re-upped your account, one of the first responses was in one of your tutorial threads asking where the stuff had gone. You have made a difference. But the way the community works very very rarely will you see that difference or even realise you're making it. This has no effect on your decision to take time off/leave but try to remember that when you're feeling shitty about your time here. You personally made a difference, even if you never noticed it.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#576  August 27, 2012, 06:43:50 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
well said Cyanide

and Vans, things always get better :)
#577  August 27, 2012, 09:08:03 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Don't think of yourself badly or as a failure Vans. Setting high standards is something very good and I wish more people would have in today's life, but setting a goal and trying to reach it shouldn't make you feel bad about yourself if the goal you set is impossible to reach. Try your best, and see what comes out of it.

Very few people actually know the type of lifestyle that I'm living right now. I study 14 hours a day, 5 days a week. Have tests that last for as long as 6 hours during my weekends, and I'm shoving in practicing fighting games, learning a new language and whatever's left of my hobby time in. Every single day of my semester is both physically and emotionally tiring for me.

The type of environment I'm studying in is one of the most taxing I've ever had to work in. I try my best, I study every single day almost every chance I get but it's a place where failing changes the perception other people have of you. If you fail too much your opinion starts to become worthless, you become isolated until you can "step your game up", people just stop taking you seriously if you lag behind. School has not been kind to me lately, and I sometimes wonder if I even have the talent for it. Keeping up with people that are already professionals is really damn hard for me, and the feeling of having a worthless opinion only makes it worse for me every single day that passes.
I get your feelings with this, since I had more or less the same life for 3 years. I always was 1st or 2nd of my class up to Baccalaureate, with average grades of 19/20 in Maths and Physics, without ever studying. And from one day to the other, in preparatory classes for Engineering schools, my grades fell down to 6/20 when working 4 hours minimum per evening after a 8/10 hours class day.

This can break your moral at first and you can think of yourself quite badly. "I'm a shitty person, I don't have the level or necessary knowledge, damn I have no future". It also doesn't help when you have some teachers telling you how bad you are, and asking you if you're studying instead of playing cards (even though you went to bed a 1am to study his freaking lesson).

But from this, you have to take the positive output.
- You can compare your level to other brilliant students (because never forget that : if you reached this point, it's because you are brilliant, in this field at least).
- You probably have some strong friends you can count on in difficult moments. Rely on them, they're here for you if you need them.
- This will make you stronger. The pressure you have now and the way they make you strive for perfection and work hard is a very good way to strengthen your soul and will. You learn how to work fast, well and efficiently. You learn how to think instead of applying stupidly some cooking recipes. And you're strong enough to fight the difficulties of life. What others consider difficult you'll think of as easy after studying in this school.

Anyway, good luck with all your endeavours, study hard, but don't put too much weight on your back. Do your best and push your limits, but never to the point of feeling bad about yourself.
You've made a difference, in Mugen or not. Really. So don't be ashamed of yourself. ;)
#578  August 27, 2012, 03:57:57 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Vans, you don't owe anyone anything, especially concerning a hobby. Take it easy.

That's the best advice I can give, take it easy. It's not the end of the world.

If your studies are getting too stressful then take a break, you can always try again. I failed a year of school because I was studying shit I had no interest in and it stressed the hell out of me. So I just said fuck it and failed it to get myself a 1 year break. I feel refreshed and more determined than before to pass this time to get on with my life. Did I give a fuck what anyone else thought of me? Hell no. I only cared about myself and you should too.

We're always here for you, good luck man.
#579  August 27, 2012, 05:39:23 pm
I honestly don't even know what type of footing I'm on right now. I rarely received comments about my articles when I wrote them, and I had the feeling they weren't that useful, so I got rid of those as well.
What a bad timing for me, actually I was very busy this year and have no time to read your tutorials daily which I plan to :P. I actually read your article once, about the art money tutorial and find it interesting but a pity that I am very busy this year and have no time to learn so I plan to read and learn it after my exams are finished in end of this year, never know that you will remove them :'( but it is alright, doesn't matter, career comes first before Mugen :) you are already one of the best people that I encounter for Mugen as you put in effort in your creations, tutorials etc and even help me with that troublesome Real Bout Fatal Fury 2's Yamazaki's Level 4 Drill, I haven't forget that ;) all the best in your studies, glad to see you replying your reason of sudden deletion :)

Edit: I went to your site and your tutorials are back again :D thanks a lots man will appreciate it :) I better go save them in my drive before it is gone again :laugh4:

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:04:00 pm by devilgenemugen
#580  August 27, 2012, 07:02:34 pm
    • USA
Hey, life happens Vans. Nobody is going to think less of you (especially here) because your putting your life ahead of MUGEN.

Handle your business, and hopefully you start feeling better.