YesNoOk

Feedback to Warnings/Decisions (Read 863661 times)

Started by Iced, February 24, 2012, 09:43:26 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Feedback to Warnings/Decisions
#861  January 23, 2013, 06:40:07 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
This isn't probably the place to put it, but didn't want to create a new topic for it in case this has been answered before, and this topic seems to have decent staff traffic.

What is the status of compilations?  I know a ton of people say they are not creations - so should we report them if we see them in release threads?
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
#862  January 23, 2013, 06:49:05 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
They should at least be identified as such. so people know what they are downloading.  And whoever makes them should be aware that most people wont be that interested. Everyone can make a "this is my mugen game" thing.
I dont think they are somekind of crime tho, most people start by doing silly little things like that, and its a normal step towards trying to create something .

Its a good question. lets see what others think.
#863  January 23, 2013, 06:52:39 pm
Adding a message icon for compilations should be a good idea.

Strike that for reasons below, which I agree with. They're a waste of time and space.
Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:06:37 pm by G.o.D.

Mog

#864  January 23, 2013, 06:53:24 pm
How often does it happen? 
#865  January 23, 2013, 06:54:31 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
rarely its the kind of thing that no one really releases. most people keep them to themselves.
#866  January 23, 2013, 06:56:23 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
compilations do not harm anyway, if anything it is when people try to pass them off as project when they might get in the way/steal attention from real projects, btu that's better left ot the user base.
#867  January 23, 2013, 06:59:46 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
We usually delete them, but reporting is probably the only way it would get our attention. On the other hand, it doesn't exactly hurt anyone, but... I dunno. As [E] said they do take up space and take attention away from other projects. :-\
#868  January 23, 2013, 07:08:43 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
this is true, but i would rather that people werent demonizing them to the point where the replies to someone new posting something he worked in is "UH OH!!"
"YOU BETTER WATCH OUT HOMIE"
etc

its not really productive nor does it tells someone new that their efforts might be better invested somewhere else. They just see that they are doing a kindness ( or what they think is one ) and people are being mean to them.
#869  January 23, 2013, 07:24:26 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
Maybe the compilation icon is the way to go?  Yes they take up space and seem useless to many, but having an icon next to them that clearly states they are a compilation will allow users to simply pass over the topic.  No reason to barge in and start posting angrily when the user clearly sees it labeled as a compilation.  I think one of the main reasons why they get a ton of heat now is because people enter the "full game" topics looking for just that only to find a compilation.

Or maybe a compilation icon but move them into the edits and addons sections.  Since it is not technically a new material besides a few occasional tweaks.  I kind of like this idea better actually.

Either of these solutions would lead to more reporting, though, for compilations to be moved or the icon changed.  At least until everyone gets with the new system.
This is how you recognize a character is polished or not : when small details are taken care of to provide the best experience possible.
Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:30:56 pm by Makurayami
#870  January 23, 2013, 07:51:46 pm
But if someone tries to claim it his own work?
Hmmm... I don't know.

And maybe some compilations aren't bad and, if done correctly, maybe it goes for full game.
Nah, difficult for me to decide.
Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:01:08 pm by G.o.D.
#871  January 23, 2013, 07:59:02 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
I don't think compilations can ever be considered a full game.  Full game to me means that the characters all have the same fighting mechanics/style, same look stylistically with sprites and hitsparks, and have been balanced.  Most, if not all, compilations don't have these features.
#872  January 23, 2013, 08:00:18 pm
    • Thailand
I was just telling somebody this some months ago. "Don't download compilations they are bad! You will get a virus!" No, compilations are not that serious, just because we don't necessarily allow them in the release area, doesn't mean they're evil or anything. That mentality is kinda stretched to the extreme -- it's almost worst than the "being new is no excuse" mentality; a mentality in which a newbie is relentlessly bashed for making "bad" stuff because they need to learn how tough it is on the battle field, like they're in boot camp, training to become soldiers.

This is a hobby, people, no one needs to know how tough it is out there on the streets and nobody needs to be bashed for making a compilation or releasing their first character below popular standards.

But if someone tries to claim it his own work?
Hmmm... I don't know.
Releasing a compilation and claiming credit for everything is the same thing as releasing stand alone content and taking credit for everything. You can't make compilations inherently bad, stop trying to make compilations inherently bad.
#873  January 23, 2013, 08:05:31 pm
Releasing a compilation and claiming credit for everything is the same thing as releasing stand alone content and taking credit for everything. You can't make compilations inherently bad, stop trying to make compilations inherently bad.
They're inherently bad in the sense that there's a far higher chance of a compilation being worthless than there is of a stand alone creation being worthless, there's no added value, it's literally something anyone can collect on the Internet and repack. It's not even good to get a bunch of characters all at once because there's usually very little chance that the pack contains stuff that may interest the guy who downloads it (unless it's a "collector").
There is nearly no situation where a compilation would be called a "good thing", and by extension, that makes them inherently bad, or at the very least, valueless.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#874  January 23, 2013, 08:06:38 pm
You can't make compilations inherently bad, stop trying to make compilations inherently bad.
Excuse me, were you talking to me? Or was it in general? No, you were talking in general.
I would never release something without giving credit, but that's another subject.

And compilations have a lot of different characters that usually have different gameplays, thus resulting in unbalanceness of the game. Also that is an example of laziness, like Byakko said above. That's why I hate them. :)
#875  January 23, 2013, 08:09:26 pm
    • Thailand
There is nearly no situation where a compilation would be called a "good thing", and by extension, that makes them inherently bad, or at the very least, valueless.
So, because it's not good, it's inherently bad? According to you? Nobody is talking about the quality of content.

I'm not even gonna argue with you.

Mog

#876  January 23, 2013, 08:16:17 pm
If it doesnt happen very often then it's not really much of a problem is it?
#877  January 23, 2013, 08:36:20 pm
  • I ejaculate fire
    • USA
It does happen semi-regularly, which is the only reason I brought it up.  There's one on the front page of both Mugen release sections right now.
#878  January 23, 2013, 09:38:52 pm
So, because it's not good, it's inherently bad? According to you?

Nobody is talking about the quality of content.
Neither am I.
I'm not even gonna argue with you.
Good.

P.S. you don't have to quote me and then say essentially nothing to "make a point".
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:43:01 pm by DKDC
#879  January 23, 2013, 09:47:49 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
In my opinion compilations should be frowned upon because they discourage creativity.  You have the cool ones where people will take a bunch of similar characters and edit them to have full game functionality, those are awesome.  But just slapping a bunch of stuff together doesn't really do much for anyone.  The guy doing it doesn't learn anything and the community doesn't get anything they couldn't do themselves.   Worse yet, if compilations are encouraged people who make them will continue doing so and will never actually learn or use their creativity to produce anything, and worst case scenario they take their compilation to a community that is less liberal about "community ethics" than MFG and they get blasted.

TL;DR It's not a moral/ethic thing so much as it is a "cmon, you can do better than that!" thing.
#880  January 23, 2013, 10:18:48 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman