YesNoOk

Those of us that started with Evil Ken. (Read 5627 times)

Started by Messatsu, November 28, 2007, 10:30:06 pm
Share this topic:
Those of us that started with Evil Ken.
#1  November 28, 2007, 10:30:06 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#2  November 28, 2007, 10:30:55 pm
    • Germany
Yeah same here. ;D

Although I got Evil Ken in a newer version from MI after I found out the one from the warehouse was outdated :yeses:
#3  November 28, 2007, 10:43:32 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Back In dev ages, my only chars were R's Dan, Evil Ken ( still far more normal than he is nowadays) , a broly ( not by necromancer, the one before that) and a Ranma.
Re: Those of us that started with Evil Ken.
#4  November 29, 2007, 12:43:33 am
  • SNK is life
Evil Ken was the most uber awesome thing at the time.

I enjoyed him since version 0.91
#5  November 29, 2007, 12:47:17 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Was there a version of him where he didnt yet have the darker pals? I seem to recall him even having a normal stance back then.
Perhaps im confusing with someone else?
#6  November 29, 2007, 12:54:43 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Got inspired to start creating because of Evil Ken and Evil Ryu, myself, come on, how can you not get hyped about Mugen after seeing all those custom moves and MSSM supers? ;D

Plus the Evil duo were always the first chars I showed someone when introducing them to Mugen. Wouldn't be exaggerating if I said Evil Ken is the greatest symbol of Mugen, more so than KFM.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#7  November 29, 2007, 12:56:23 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
i was there before that :sadgoi:
#8  November 29, 2007, 12:56:46 am
  • In after lock
Dunno, I wasn't around for the first public release.  However, his default palette is simply SFZ2's Evil Ryu red palette.  There might have been tweaks to the skin though (obviously the hair too).

#9  November 29, 2007, 12:57:38 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
R's Dan made me curious, Evil Ken made me a fan.
#10  November 29, 2007, 12:59:33 am
Speaking of Evil Ken...

Evil Ken was among my first few "watch mode" characters.  When I started, I always set him in watch mode, and looked at him kill stuff.
"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured."
~Mark Twain
Sig by TempesT
#11  November 29, 2007, 01:02:09 am
    • Portugal
Man... I remember doing a lot of Evil Ken versus Evil Ryu watch mode matches when I was a noob.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#12  November 29, 2007, 01:06:21 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
When i first found out about MUGEN, on a magazine, the first file that caught my attention while i was browsing trough the CD's mugen folder was "Evilken0.91.zip". it was also the first one i tried do install, but i failed at it.

when i finally learned to install characters, the first one was Sunboy's Angel, but the second one was Evil Ken.

And the Evil Duo are simply the 2 characters that are added by default in ANY of my MUGEN compilations. they are my favorite characters, and the ones that kept me on the engine all this years.

and the ones that inspired me to create, even tough none of my chars has been released yet.

i even come up with a "cheapness" scale that was based on Evil Ken.

Plus the Evil duo were always the first chars I showed someone when introducing them to Mugen. Wouldn't be exaggerating if I said Evil Ken is the greatest symbol of Mugen, more so than KFM.

+1000000000000000000000000
Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:12:43 am by Tony 3rd
#13  November 29, 2007, 01:06:41 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Back in the day, I only used Gargoyle's CvS Ryu because most of the characters I assigned as bosses interacted with Ryu. Evil Ken was the second-to-the-last boss, and watching the intro was totally rox. Once Evil Ken was defeated, the last opponent was the old version of MB-02.

HOLY SHIT what a trip down memory lane.
#14  November 29, 2007, 01:09:40 am
  • \_(-.-)_/
    • USA
Yeah, Evil Ken was the first character that made me appreciate the potential of Mugen.

Anyone remember his down,down,down + start move where a hurricane surrounds him,
his soul does a Shoryueppa, then lands in his body on the other side of the screen?

Badass :yugoi:

That move was only available in the first release I think.
#15  November 29, 2007, 01:16:10 am
    • Poland
When I started experimenting with non DBZ stuff in mugen in 2004/05 I download Evil Duo mostly because I heard alot good things about them. Proably they was first Ryu and Ken in my Mugen. I got hooked and I set alot matches using them and I had alot fun to see them in Watch mode. Too bad I didn't get the chance to test previous versions of them. They wasn't introduced me in Mugen (it was Goku by Bardock) but they stay in my roster forever because they soo cool with design and moves even after few years when they was created.
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#16  November 29, 2007, 01:20:36 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I was before that too, DBZ2057 for me.

Although i did get and fiddle with the original release for a while, he was the "how cheap is my AI in watch mode" character. If it won 1/2 the time, good AI, if it lost too much it needed tweaking.

Obviously not a chance anymore.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#17  November 29, 2007, 01:30:12 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Speaking of Evil Ken...

Evil Ken was among my first few "watch mode" characters.  When I started, I always set him in watch mode, and looked at him kill stuff.
Ampchu_from_the_link_above said:
I have been waiting for this moment. Now I can do a tribute video for Reubenkee that is different from all else's.
WTF?!

That is very disturbing...

*On topic
I don't remember my 1st characters, but I remember "opening up" Evil Ken for the 1st time and I was totally blown away. He was the 1st character I ever made sprites for as well. Reu was nice enough to pick up a newb sprite editor like myself out of so many in that contest he held.

The thought of getting to assist in making new attacks and new animations for such a cool character was awesome. I so was not worthy to help him out.

Evil Ken and Evil Ryu are the characters I have always shown my friends when showing off what mugen is.
They are everything that makes mugen great!

Many hours in watch mode wasted by myself as well do to those 2 characters =D
#18  November 29, 2007, 01:34:22 am
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
I prefer using kfm over evil ken.
#19  November 29, 2007, 01:43:47 am
  • Laugh it up
    • USA
Evil Ken was the most uber awesome thing at the time.

I enjoyed him since version 0.91

same here he got me into mugen since then i havent stop its amazing how someone could have that effect on you....and i dont mean evil ken.....because of him alot of people are into mugen  :)

Bea

#20  November 29, 2007, 02:36:38 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#21  November 29, 2007, 02:39:34 am
    • Peru
Actually, three of us.
I remember using Floppy Disks to bring evil ken to my house from a cyber-cafe :)
#22  November 29, 2007, 02:49:01 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
4 I didn't realize I was supposed to start keeping score =p
#23  November 29, 2007, 02:58:21 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
#24  November 29, 2007, 03:43:40 am
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
It was a recolour of his pre hadouken pose from the sfa2 intro, I believe.

Wow, now that I think about it my friends and I only used EK, and a Strider Hien back then (ER wasn't released yet). Everyone else was just there as a punching bag.

I also remember how easy all the A.Is were, and how amazed we were when EK turned us inside out in simul mode. Ahh, those were the days....
#25  November 29, 2007, 03:55:58 am
evil ken was first ken for mugen...
Hello guys.  I have touched children.
#26  November 29, 2007, 03:56:58 am
    • Germany
doubt that
#27  November 29, 2007, 04:03:39 am
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
Especially since Reu said he referenced Tenshin's Ken to make him. Unless of coarse you were being figurative, and meant that it was the first "real" ken IYO.
#28  November 29, 2007, 04:05:57 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#29  November 29, 2007, 10:14:11 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Quoted for great truth.

Evil Ken wasn't my first character (it was Setsuna by OH), but it was in my 10 first.

I remember using Floppy Disks to bring evil ken to my house from a cyber-cafe :)
You started Mugen at something like 8 years old ? o_O
Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:47:26 am by Demitri Maximoff
#30  November 29, 2007, 10:53:07 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
I do admit, Evil Ken amazed me so much back in the day.  I didn't care about balance then, I was simply too mesmerized by EK.  I even played as him, and I loved doing all those combos.

Bea

#31  November 29, 2007, 12:36:39 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
While Evil Ken was an impressive piece of work, coding wise, I was never much a fan of the character. I barelly played it and didn't keep him for long in my mugen.
Then again, I can't say I downloaded and played many characters at all... I always prefered to code my own...
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#32  November 29, 2007, 02:09:07 pm
my story with mugen was somewhat creepy...so I only saw Evil Ken and Evil Ryu in youtube videos and didn't know how to search for chars well back then...my first chars were Robo K and Robo Kula, they were the first thing I showed off to my friends when introducing mugen to them, as well as the evil duo
Evil Ryu is one of my most fav chars although he hasn't those half assed MVC combos, but Evil Ken has his own charm with his half assed MVC combos (so people know why is EK the most fav around here)
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#33  November 29, 2007, 03:55:48 pm
  • Random
Actually, three of us.

Holy crap....MUGEN is that old? wow...
but yeah...back on topic I love Evil ken, since he and Evil Ryu were one of my first characters to implement into MUGEN.

My only issue (which is minor) has always been his stance...

I just always thought it was a lil awkward yet very unique.
#34  November 29, 2007, 04:57:02 pm
  • SNK is life
Same here
+1 :sugoi: That's how I first made my Mugen - I carried 6 Floppys in my backpack, I loaded as many charas as I could in the Campus library, then back home I'd test them  :P

The first time I played Evil Ken was a long time ago.. I believe he didn't have the SSF2TR portrait yet
RIGHT! it had a matching portrait with MyztikBlaze's ERyu  :sugoi:

Man... those days were awesome back in 2001 / 2002
Everything was new and fresh. SFA3 stages in NeoGouki's stage were teh shiznit
#35  November 29, 2007, 11:00:49 pm
Seriously I know Evil Ken was something but you guys are making him seem wayyy more than what he really is.

Evil Ken a mugen icon? I don't think so.

Reu is definately one of the creative greats here, but you cannot seriously tell me that you can discount anything that other creators have done, even at that time.

I recall a little guy named OrochiKOF97 that made a Clark Steel that got me seeing that gameplay rates higher in mugen more than flashy lights.
#36  November 29, 2007, 11:07:39 pm
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
#37  November 29, 2007, 11:08:23 pm
    • Brazil
Seriously I know Evil Ken was something but you guys are making him seem wayyy more than what he really is.

Evil Ken a mugen icon? I don't think so.

Reu is definately one of the creative greats here, but you cannot seriously tell me that you can discount anything that other creators have done, even at that time.

I recall a little guy named OrochiKOF97 that made a Clark Steel that got me seeing that gameplay rates higher in mugen more than flashy lights.

dude...please. don't start a fight, or the old "gameplay vs graphics" discussion here.

sure. there was a lot of great creators trough out mugen history. and OrochiKOF97 is one of them.

but this topic ain't about this. if you really wish to discuss this, i will happilly split our posts and you can start another topic.
#38  November 29, 2007, 11:12:02 pm
I'm not starting a fight I am saying that I don't agree 100%. Is that really such an unreasonable thing to say?
#39  November 29, 2007, 11:15:11 pm
    • Brazil
I'm not starting a fight I am saying that I don't agree 100%. Is that really such an unreasonable thing to say?

No, its not. its just not the place to do it.

really, if you wish to discuss this, i can split the topic. do you want to discuss this?
if not then

[/offtopic].
#40  November 30, 2007, 04:57:14 am
    • Peru
You started Mugen at something like 8 years old ? o_O
Same here.
I started playing mugen around 1999, but I started creating for mugen around 2000, when I was attending a course called "Discrete Math" in the University. I learnt about Finite State Machines and all that stuff, so learning mugen wasn't exactly hard.

+1  That's how I first made my Mugen - I carried 6 Floppys in my backpack, I loaded as many charas as I could in the Campus library, then back home I'd test them 
Code:
mugen.zip volume 6/6: Error while extracting evilken.sff.
Ah, how many times my floppies were faulty... ::)
#41  November 30, 2007, 04:56:00 pm
  • SNK is life
Yeah... floppys so easily corruptible by virii  :sugoi:

#42  December 03, 2007, 12:53:05 am
  • much love to r. kelly
I think I started with y.y's Jotaro...<_<

Evil Ken was another one of my earliest downloads, though.

Still remember the days when floppies were the main storage devices.  :sugoi:

DMK

#43  December 03, 2007, 01:09:20 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Been a while for me.

What hendered me starting earlier and getting into forums was my internet connection.

Dial-up FTFLX9000

But Evil Ken I rememberd the most of.

I had no idea what they were or who Reu was.

It was one of those newb things where you go

"WOW EVIL!?! KEN I KNOW HIM DOWNLOADING!"

I didn't appreciate what was in it but that beating he gave me even though I was useing the Nightmare stuck.

I can't say excatly what download he was but it had to be within the first 6.

When I started I had no idea how to switch to the 60 roster winmugen.  :sugoi:
#44  December 03, 2007, 04:29:26 am
  • Sucks to your Numerology!
Evil Ken isn't in my MUGEN. I only had him for a little while back in 2000 (or was it 2001?).  I agree, it's a FANTASTIC character, but this probably comes from my never really caring for Ken much in general.

MUGEN icon?  I dunno. I think which characters are "iconic' would be a general consensus thing - we all have our favorites and least favorites.  Reu's untimely death may make Evil Ken MORE notable than before ("If you don't like this character, you're PEEING ON BABIES"), but that doesn't change the fact that it's an incredibly good piece of work.

Should we make a new topic?

Now you can never unsee it.
#45  December 03, 2007, 05:24:44 am
  • In after lock
Evil Ken is/was the most recognizable Mugen character.

#46  December 03, 2007, 06:01:30 am
  • Sucks to your Numerology!
Well, then that's iconic! ;D

Now you can never unsee it.
#47  December 03, 2007, 02:50:17 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I still wonder if Snk really based on his work to do their Violent Ken.

#48  December 03, 2007, 02:55:03 pm
    • Portugal
They were likely motivated to add him to SvC due to the success of Reu's char, but other than that all they have in common is that teleport, which is still different between both chars in what it does.
#49  December 04, 2007, 01:08:29 am
  • SNK is life
I really think they were. I vaguely remember someone denying the idea, but what truly made us all wonder was the irregular stance. That was proof enough at least for me.

Also, Iron once told me that he added a Deadly-Rave-like DM to his Iron Terry long before SNK actually implemented it into SVC Terry. Also, Notice how there was no version of Classic Styled Terry Buster Wolf until SVC, when actually it had been implemented first into Sander's Terry, with sprite edits by Kaddet (which in order had higher quality than SNK's final product in SVC).

It all makes me kinda wonder if the game companies are actually watching the MUGEN scene, or at least they were back in those days; and if SNK was just catering to us. It'd be kinda cool if it turned to be true.
#50  December 04, 2007, 06:45:16 am
  • In after lock
I really think they were. I vaguely remember someone denying the idea, but what truly made us all wonder was the irregular stance. That was proof enough at least for me.

Also, Iron once told me that he added a Deadly-Rave-like DM to his Iron Terry long before SNK actually implemented it into SVC Terry. Also, Notice how there was no version of Classic Styled Terry Buster Wolf until SVC, when actually it had been implemented first into Sander's Terry, with sprite edits by Kaddet (which in order had higher quality than SNK's final product in SVC).

It all makes me kinda wonder if the game companies are actually watching the MUGEN scene, or at least they were back in those days; and if SNK was just catering to us. It'd be kinda cool if it turned to be true.
Deadly Rave is taken from Geese, right?

Sander's Terry took Buster Wolf from Garou, not the other way around.

#51  December 04, 2007, 06:46:19 am
  • In after lock
EDIT: I looked out of curiosity, and Kamek01.zip in my chars\kamek\archive folder has a Modified date of September 11, 2000. (Yes, I have archived zips of every single version of Kamek I released. Reiko too.)
Do you have archived zips of any of TESTP's stuff by any chance? :deal2:

#52  December 04, 2007, 09:19:21 pm
  • I miss titiln
Wow, I didn't know that there were at least a few oldies out there. I started out on M.U.G.E.N when it came out.  :ninja:
But it was one of my favorite characters, and still is to this day.
Are we forgetting about evil ryu and dragon claw though?

ironic signature because this is interesting text

I like hate mail
#53  December 05, 2007, 09:50:14 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Dragon Claw is very recent, and Evil Ryu is not an icon as much as Evil Ken is.
#54  December 10, 2007, 03:57:00 pm
  • *The Shadow*
    • www.freewebs.com/plaza24
i think my first char was shin gouki from pots , then evil ken and evil ryu and then

Dragon Claw is very recent, and Evil Ryu is not an icon as much as Evil Ken is.

+1

(i think thats basicly for his  crazy comboability)
#55  December 11, 2007, 09:02:48 pm
  • I'm power made flesh! Feel how weak you truly are
    • Greece
    • youtube.com/user/ShotokanEditor
Well i really started mugen when i saw on internet a picture of E ken.I didnt understand what it was cause i didnt knew about mugen.
I had a dream once.To see a game (well its an engine)where you could make,create,customise,etc your characters.I always wanted to see an evil version of Ken and Dan.When i realised what mugen was then i just fall in love with it.Ad of course he was my first character whom i dl from a warehouse with a 56k connection :P .I have an old version of E ken which says "evilken 7.41'' :sugoi: