YesNoOk

Project Catch 'Em All (Read 783189 times)

Started by Ryon, September 12, 2013, 02:52:20 am
Share this topic:
Re: Project Catch 'Em All
#361  August 20, 2014, 05:43:58 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I just noticed something:
Lapras uses a FireRed/LeafGreen sprite for its select portrait, not the one from HeartGold/SoulSilver :P

Should use this one.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#362  August 20, 2014, 06:46:39 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Just thought I'd mention I've fixed the select screen's loop problem. It irritated me more than it should have :P

https://www.mediafire.com/?jdxu32zws7tja32

select.bgm.loopstart = 1535444
select.bgm.loopend = -1

Also fixed the type matchup chart to properly include Fairy resistances. Want me to upload that, too?

This is many months too late, but thank you for this. I've added it to the game. :) I missed so much in this thread. Where the hell was I? XD

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#363  August 21, 2014, 09:44:16 pm
  • Smash anyone, anything, who gets in your way!
    • France
Wooooooooow, that thing is still goin'? YAY! Is there any new version yet for Project Catch'em All? Been a while since the last time I visited this thread.
Ruling the world is just one checkpoint in my path!
#364  August 21, 2014, 10:58:46 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Well, the project isn't dead, but put on hold. Both Ryon and I have been doing other things. Currently my priority is NZCR.

#365  August 23, 2014, 02:26:21 am
  • I've finally got a yellow star!
    • UK
    • txpotstuff.wordpress.com/

Also, as far as I remember, Samus is meant to be super slim, enough to be flexible and morph into a ball inside her suit. You gave her a huge ass that makes it impossible to imagine it being done.
#366  August 23, 2014, 03:23:14 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Nice, another great contribution.

I tested him out and my only feedback is that DoulbeSlap feels useless. Even with Double-Edge's mildly slow start-up time, it's way more useful.

#367  August 23, 2014, 04:39:25 am
    • Brazil
    • gabrenbox@gmail.com
#368  August 23, 2014, 07:42:56 pm
  • (o.O)!
  • MadkaT Was Here
    • Guernsey
    • a@b.xxx
    • Skype - admin
    • network.mugenguild.com/madkat
Nice, I think I've to make some space to continue working on my stages
<- Foros Mugen en español. And also English forums.
#369  August 29, 2014, 07:22:33 pm
    • UK

Also, as far as I remember, Samus is meant to be super slim, enough to be flexible and morph into a ball inside her suit. You gave her a huge ass that makes it impossible to imagine it being done.
#370  August 29, 2014, 08:12:48 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com

#371  August 29, 2014, 10:10:37 pm
    • Brazil
    • gabrenbox@gmail.com
#372  August 29, 2014, 11:19:38 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
So, I really like what you've done with Honchkrow, but I'm kind of wondering why you put in immunities. It's not right and too cheap in my opinion, even if it's accurate. Uproar is my goto move with him. It's crazy OP.

#373  August 30, 2014, 01:18:28 am
    • UK
I bother with immunities to try and make up for the lack of things in the system, like Pokemon with two types. It also helps Honchkrow and Shedinja, as the former can be described as a glass cannon, while Shedinja is too fragile to be considered for normal play. I can remove this if you want though, as it may be too early to consider adding immunities that aren't ability-based.

#374  August 30, 2014, 02:39:35 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I bother with immunities to try and make up for the lack of things in the system, like Pokemon with two types. It also helps Honchkrow and Shedinja, as the former can be described as a glass cannon, while Shedinja is too fragile to be considered for normal play. I can remove this if you want though, as it may be too early to consider adding immunities that aren't ability-based.

Well the system could use some work as it's far from perfect, but that's one thing I'm against. Mainly because it's unfair. It's nice that it's source-accurate, but seeing how you only have one pokemon, it would be really unfair. Having that said, I really do like your ideas otherwise. The status marker on the lifebars is a good touch and the critical indicator. These could be things for the next release whenever that might be. I'm not actively working on it, nor is Ryon sadly.

#375  August 30, 2014, 11:05:45 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I personally think weaker Pokémon should have their ATB bars fill up quicker (like Shedinja does, though perhaps not to such an extent), while more powerful Pokémon have their bars fill up slower. The boss Pokémon wouldn't need to follow this rule because they're bosses.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#376  August 30, 2014, 09:09:16 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I personally think weaker Pokémon should have their ATB bars fill up quicker (like Shedinja does, though perhaps not to such an extent), while more powerful Pokémon have their bars fill up slower. The boss Pokémon wouldn't need to follow this rule because they're bosses.

Yeah, there's go to be some reason why you'd want to pick a weaker pokemon. We really didn't want to make them feel useless. Pikachu was tough, but actually does have one heavy-hitting attack.

#377  September 01, 2014, 07:28:01 pm
    • UK
Kill-Bill teaches us how to punch through wood, but this pokemon will teach you how to pulverize concrete!
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Engine Fix

I have modified and fixed the code to display the life bars. There was a problem that only affected players in Turns mode, although you won't be able to access it without directly modifying the system files. This is so that people who unofficially use Turns mode to simulate having up to 4 pokemon in the party can do so without any graphical problems.

The problem was that if Player 1 was defeated in battle at any time, the lifebar won't show up when the next pokemon arrives, and the green/blue bars and character name/portrait will be shown in the wrong position. As the code was made to have a specific player (and not just Player 1) spawn the lifebars, they will not appear if the player's ID do not match.

example:

This code fixes it by changing the triggers from [root,ID=56] to [teamside=1]. To implement this in any past and future characters, you need the entire lifebar code, which is [StateDef 15000], and put this anywhere in your code files, but not in statedef -3. The engine coder could also just paste & replace this in common1.cns to fix all characters directly using it.

[fixed code]

This fix is easy to implement, but is only needed for Turns mode. This problem also happens with the Attack Menu [StateDef 13000+], which I have also fixed. It's in the same code as the lifebar one.

#378  September 01, 2014, 07:46:09 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I'm going to test our Hitmonchan and get back to you with some feedback. Thanks once more for your contributions to the project. Could you send me your fix in a .txt file? The line numbers are completely messing it up. I wouldn't care if there weren't almost 400 lines, lol, but it's a bit much. I'll implement it into the common1.cns. Turns was not a mode that was intended for the game, so naturally, nothing was coded with it in mind. We don't support Simultaneous mode either for this game.

I'm curious about one thing you said:
I can always change it back to being fully protected though, should the project shift into another direction.
In your opinion, what direction would the project shift into to allow immunities to be fair?

#379  September 01, 2014, 11:22:53 pm
    • UK
I've uploaded the fix to the code to my FTP on the website. Get the link here: http://txpotstuff.t15.org/fix%20code.txt

In your opinion, what direction would the project shift into to allow immunities to be fair?

My direction of this would've been :

But don't bother with this. With the way it is now, it's very good, and I don't want you to derail the game over some resistances.

#380  September 01, 2014, 11:32:49 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Thanks for the upload. I've implemented the fix.

Well, the way I see immunnities being fair is if at least every character had one move offensive that wasn't the same type as their others. Then, at least you could still fight back with something if you did fight a Pokemon that was immune to your attacks. So, maybe it will be implemented one day. Yeah, I can imagine that system of resistances is very complex.

Off topic:
Which engine were you planning on porting your game over to?