Started by XamΣeta, October 20, 2010, 01:28:25 am
Share this topic:
SFA4 Palette Thread
#1  October 20, 2010, 01:28:25 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
Copy pasted from Mugen Evolution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be the thread to talk about palettes which I will be working on for the game.

Please take note that for each character I will leave 2 palettes open for creation based on feedback, so this is one of those chances you will have to help us with the look of the game.

Also, be aware that the first palette on the upper left of each grid will be the official SFA4 DEFAULT PALETTE for each character.

I will begin by posting the ones that I have done so far;

ADON LAST UPDATED 10/12/2010
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

AKUMA EXPECT SOME OF THESE TO CHANGE REAL SOON

KEN LAST UPDATED 10/12/2010

RYU CURRENT SPRITE SET TO BE UPDATED LATER

Please discuss and share ideas... 8)
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:58:11 pm by MaxBeta
Re: SFA4 Palette Thread
#2  October 20, 2010, 01:43:26 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Impressive set.  Here are my thoughts.

Adon
  • Default pal - His skin looks too pale for a default.  Is it based on his artwork?  Is it still possible to give it a bit of tan blending, like a bit of brown?
  • Third and fourth pal.  Skin tone looks too similar.  I prefer if the red outfit gets a bit of darker brown tone.
  • Second Palette's bandages, last tone needs darkening.  Doesn't fit well IMO compared to the rest.

That's all I have to say. I would suggest given most of the bandages another kind of color instead of the same blue (other than second and eighth).

These are all my opinions.  If the colors are fine as they are, I understand.

More on the others later.
#3  October 20, 2010, 06:20:43 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I like the variety you have going while still looking like something from an actual game.   But I do feel that Akuma's very last one has some strange contrast and I think the shading could be better.
#4  October 20, 2010, 02:30:21 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Adon - Default pal - His skin looks too pale for a default.  Is it based on his artwork?
Yessir, Udon art...this one will stay as is, I really like how it looks in-game.

• Third and fourth pal. Skin tone looks too similar.  I prefer if the red outfit gets a bit of darker brown tone.
  • Second Palette's bandages, last tone needs darkening.  Doesn't fit well IMO compared to the rest.
I'll see what I can do about the skin tones and bandages (good point) when I get the chance. Thank you.

I do feel that Akuma's very last one has some strange contrast and I think the shading could be better.
True. That palettes sucks. Please ignore that palette guys, or until I change it.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA

MDD

#5  October 21, 2010, 02:43:44 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
No CvS Shin Akuma palette? For shame.

The last palette on the first and second row on the Adon palettes have some wierd contrast in the skin. Other than that, good work.
#6  October 21, 2010, 03:15:58 am
#7  October 21, 2010, 03:26:53 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
No CvS Shin Akuma palette? For shame.
I don't want to get any hopes up yet...cuz BC himself hasn't confirmed the char...but I guess, wait for it??? I mean, seriously...BC not adding Shin Gouki to the lineup would be like having toast without that delicious butter on it. But, yeah you probably made the Shin Akuma assumption because I did slip a "Shin" type palette or two in there...honest mistake. --; But yeah, lets wait and see what happens.

the second Akuma palette is based on his Super Turbo art, yes?
Hehe, right on the money with "Blackuma" there.

The last palette on the first and second row on the Adon palettes have some wierd contrast in the skin. Other than that, good work.
I may toy around with that top one...The bottom one is final and is an actual "homage" palette...guess.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Now, remember I will be taking 2 submitions per character so...suggest some colors of your own guys!

Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:31:27 am by MaxBeta
#8  October 21, 2010, 03:31:17 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
For characters already here?  I'd like to see Akuma with an "uncorrupted" Akuma/Gouki type color scheme.  Kind of a "what if" if he never went down the path of Ansatsuken that he did.
#9  October 21, 2010, 03:32:35 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
For characters already here?  I'd like to see Akuma with an "uncorrupted" Akuma/Gouki type color scheme.  Kind of a "what if" if he never went down the path of Ansatsuken that he did.
That's interesting. I will work on something tommorrow morning. It will be challenging because of the way his sprite is already drawn to intentionally have an evil eye. Thanks.
#10  October 21, 2010, 03:45:58 am
It ain't that hard to come up with a scheme like that when I think about it.

About Ryu's default, is it by purpose to give him yellowish skin? It would fit Ken, but I can't picture the color of Ryu well.  His skin on his second palette would fit well but it's your thoughts.  My opinion.
#11  October 21, 2010, 02:09:35 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
It ain't that hard to come up with a scheme like that when I think about it.
Actually, you wouldn't really know that up until you've worked with his current grid...which sucks btw. I am currently putting his palette sheet together, so feel free to give it a shot when its up guys...And I did these two "uncorrupted" ones just now. Skin is pretty much the same on both of them, got lazy there.

About Ryu's default, is it by purpose to give him yellowish skin? It would fit Ken, but I can't picture the color of Ryu well.  His skin on his second palette would fit well but it's your thoughts.  My opinion.
Ok, cool. Well, here's the thing...I call this one "illuminated Ryu" and what I wanted to accomplish here was to have him stand out above the rest of the cast. His "glowing" skin, if you will, represents his aura or ki...and his Gi colors are now washed out from traveling the world. I really wanted to do something different for Ryu among these lines and not use the same boring recycled stuff.

EDIT:Akuma Master Palette sheet added to main post...Go for Broke! :D
Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:57:30 pm by MaxBeta

MDD

#12  October 22, 2010, 12:52:47 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
These are what I came up with as far as uncorrupted palettes go.

Not the best, but there wasn't much to work with when the eye is shared with the hair.

Also, when you say Ryu's spriteset will be updated, do you mean he'll have his SFII colors like in MvC1 or what?
#13  October 22, 2010, 02:56:12 am
My version of the Uncorrupted scheme.

Granted, some shared colors were there, but I got through it and made this.

It's just an example btw to give you some ideas for Akuma's pals.