YesNoOk

So, is mugen 1.1 general use now?, or do most people preffer 1.0 still? (Read 8011266 times)

Started by vyn, June 06, 2019, 12:14:40 am
Share this topic:

Poll

What mugen version do you use the most??

39 (41.9%)
54 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Re: So, is mugen 1.1 general use now?, or do most people preffer 1.0 still?
#81  August 20, 2019, 08:26:26 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
#82  August 21, 2019, 01:55:26 pm
Yeah, that was my point.
If people can't afford/don't want to, they don't.
There was no need to tell people to buy stuff because theirs sucks to begin with.

Guess you would've known if you didn't singled out that one line and put it out of context.
#83  August 21, 2019, 04:11:43 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, that line out of context comes out arrogant as hell, but in context it is pretty apropiate.
#84  August 21, 2019, 06:14:02 pm
  • I am a little editor of pixel art
    • Brazil
    • felipexavier.stuart@gmail.com
Back to the topic, we are making our fangame in mugen 1.1, its stable and its features make the game visually a lot better, I personally use a quite old PC and have no issues with Mugen itself.
#85  August 21, 2019, 07:14:27 pm
That's what I'm questioning. Some say it's stable, some say it's not.
And how new the machine is, doesn't seem to be the issue as you've confirmed.

yeah, that line out of context comes out arrogant as hell, but in context it is pretty apropiate.

Yeah, I know, I'll drop the sarcasm and apologize.

lui

#86  August 21, 2019, 07:48:03 pm
    • USA
1.1 for me baby
#87  August 21, 2019, 07:52:01 pm
    • USA
What you say is true, the random errorless crashes, doesn’t matter what rig.

No one has said it yet, but Ikemen is superior even in its current state.

As is, one could say replicate most of the modes from alpha 3, the custom arcade mode alone could do the trick. If you don’t care for 1.1, but still wouldn’t mind using some of its features it’s a win win. You have all this time to learn, not like mugen is updating any time soon. Not a debate btw, I suggest you all try it for yourselves. Only if you want your stuff to feel more like an official game. If you have a potato, might be out of luck either way.
#88  August 21, 2019, 08:30:22 pm
No its not,  it has a few bells and whistles over mugen but mugen runs way better and also looks better when it comes to screenpacks and shit.

Mugen 1.1 because of its graphics capability is much more powerful, check that game strides 2 glory or what it was called and see what I'm referring to.
I've also seen people pull off some amazing shit in mugen that emulate the official games, screens, moving chars on the select screen etc.

This is mugen 1.1 btw.

Kame's TMNT project also has some super cool stuff in it and its a mugen game.
Move lists inside the game etc.
Fek look at borg's MK project its insane. it has ladders like the official MK games it looks legit af.

Ikemen is badly optimized and it feels "off" to me when I play it, it runs super fast and some weird shit is happening in it.
99.9% of the chars are made for mugen it makes sense they run better on it. Last time I checked its online ain't that good either.(which tbh I don't care for)
Don't get me started on stages and proper scale.

Ikemen has potential though.

As it stands right now, mugen feels better, plays better, and looks better in my opinion.
Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:47:57 pm by PeXXeR
#89  August 21, 2019, 09:02:03 pm
    • USA
No its not,  it has a few bells and whistles over mugen

I've also seen people pull off some amazing shit in mugen that emulate the official games, screens, moving chars on the select screen etc.

Ikemen is badly optimized and it feels "off" to me when I play it, it runs super fast and some weird shit is happening in it.

99.9% of the chars are made for mugen it makes sense they run better on it.
You undermine whats been accomplished. You can only see things at face value. What you say doesn't really hold any weight, your perception, not facts. If you can't properly contest this, really nothing else needs to be said. "It's not good because I had a bad experience"

You are free to your opinion, but you don't know all the specifics, based on what you've said. Agree to disagree. No engine is perfect, but for those interested in developing a game, not building a mugen roster, may be more inclined.
#90  August 21, 2019, 09:07:52 pm
I have not undermined shit, for a comment that states that mine holds fuck all, I have yet to see "facts"  from you as well.
Mine showed 2 examples of people pushing  the engine, where's yours ?

Don't get me wrong, if a better engine comes out  that's better then mugen I'll be more than happy to jump on it.
#91  August 21, 2019, 09:10:19 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
I have not undermined shit, for a comment that states that mine holds fuck all, I have yet to see "facts"  from you as well.
Mine showed 2 examples of people pushing  the engine, where's yours ?

Whatever plas pretty much is doing, whatever the GO people are doing, SvC EX, TouHou, that's off the top of my head.
#92  August 21, 2019, 09:20:20 pm
    • USA
Well I can't take you seriously based on what you said Pexxer, even your response now already near tilt? Most of what you said can already be done in Ikemen. Character moving on select screen without hardcoding? Controlling arcade mode without using a frontend? Further more, many of your points aren't "unique" to mugen, its just code. Movelist in-game? That isn't a "mugen feature". I'm not trying to be rude to you, you just don't know what you are talking about, well as I said.. Only see things at face value.

Also as said above ^ just because you don't know about it, aren't actively following it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

So.. Say if we were to try to recreate Street Fighter Alpha 3 using both mugen/Ikemen, we'd be able to get closer using Ikemen. This is a fact.
#93  August 21, 2019, 09:28:01 pm
Fclass
I'm not doubting that content specifically developed for Ikemen can be better.
That is also true, Yamori's game is pretty darn good. I have not checked the rest though.
Ikemen is open source it will only get better.
#94  August 22, 2019, 04:10:25 am
I was at least about to comment how labor intensive some of those features are.
Those are mostly hardcoded workarounds, which requires each character to be tailor made.
Although impressive, it's counterproductive and not why people use engines in the first place.
That's as impressive as making those minigames/bonus stages/ platformer boss characters.
It's achievable, but not what the engine's mean to do.

Well, at least the limitations challenges people to be creative.
And I admire those who took on those challenges.

On a side note, there was also a discussion about an Unreal based engine, which sounded promising.
#95  August 22, 2019, 04:31:40 am
    • Canada
Yeah, that was my point.
If people can't afford/don't want to, they don't.
There was no need to tell people to buy stuff because theirs sucks to begin with.

Guess you would've known if you didn't singled out that one line and put it out of context.

Well my point is don't blame the engine because

A. You don't have the required hardware for it.

or

B. You are running incompatible software (characters/stages)

My day job is literally troubleshooting servers. Maybe I have too high of expectations for people to actually try and figure out why shit doesn't work. 

I still don't see what some of you are talking about regarding error less crashing. Have you tried the 4Gb patch? When it dies does anything populate in event viewer?

Personally Mugen 1.1 has crashed for me less than most "AAA" games. Witcher 3 and GTA5 have easily crashed more often, and Skyrim/Fallout 4 like.... 1000% more(Gamebryo engine? more like LAMEbryo engine amiright). In comparison Winmugen was an unstable mess. I swear it was like a 50/50 shot if I could get through arcade mode without it dying on me. Never going back to that. 1.0 is solid too, but it doesn't support those sexy .png's

As for Ikeman.... I don't even know what the current working version is... plus... go... ssgssj.... whatever. Is it even on a finished release?

lui

#96  August 22, 2019, 04:48:26 am
    • USA
Mugen 1.1 is pretty old and is based off an engine from 1998

If potatoes cant run it, despite the fact you can easily just use aesthetics from 1998 and below for screenpacks and visuals, that is the engine's fault. Not the PCs.

Yes heavy duty screenpacks that use 32 bit visuals will obviously run like crap on potato's, but most people who can't run those use low-res screenpacks most of the time, so assuming it's always due to their hardware is pretty ignorant.

Mugen 1.1 coding isn't inherently anything that pushes PC's after all.

Troubleshooting servers doesn't give you anymore insight to these crashes than anyone else when you have contributors who've actually coded using 1.1 and 1.0 here saying the engine is unstable for very good reasons.
Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:53:12 am by lui
#97  August 22, 2019, 03:53:33 pm
I still don't see what some of you are talking about regarding error less crashing. Have you tried the 4Gb patch? When it dies does anything populate in event viewer?

Yes, I have tried the 4GB patch.
But the problem I have with 1.1 is it "closes" itself at some point, like how a user would manually close it.
It's not the usual crash which tells you something went wrong, it gives me nothing, no error prompt, not even a log.

And well, on that other point. Because you are tech savvy, doesn't mean everyone else is.
#98  August 22, 2019, 04:14:59 pm
Yes, I have tried the 4GB patch.
But the problem I have with 1.1 is it "closes" itself at some point, like how a user would manually close it.
It's not the usual crash which tells you something went wrong, it gives me nothing, no error prompt, not even a log.
sigh, looks like the 4GB patch is the same  :(

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!