YesNoOk

Marvel Universe discussion (no filthy muties allowed) (Read 377094 times)

Started by Gate, June 16, 2011, 04:33:46 pm
Share this topic:
Marvel Universe discussion (no filthy muties allowed)
#1  June 16, 2011, 04:33:46 pm
Since DC has it's own topic, we should have one for Marvel too.  ::)

Well, let's start by telling some books I've been reading, or following by spoilers (Avengers):

Fear Itself

Boring and predictable, but not the worst event Marvel have done (Secret Invasion was way more disappointing).

Avengers & New Avengers

It sucks. Bendis is a great street level writer, but really blows working with teams. He simply can't find a voice for most of the characters (especially Hawkeye) and seems to use the same characters over and over (The Hood and Osborn for example)

Secret Avengers

Great start but turned really stale when it turned into Steve Rogers and his Amazing Friends. Turned good again when Nick Spencer took off as a writer and gave some more importance for the other characters in the team. Can't wait for the Warren Ellis issues.

Avengers Academy

The best title in the shelves. Most of the students are brand new, but they had a great portion of development. Some of the teachers I've never liked before like Tigra and Speedball are also well characterized. Also, Mettle is boss.

Thunderbolts

Besides the lead character that is terrible (Bendis' Luke Cage), is a solid title when they aren't battling faceless enemies and creatures like trolls and ghosts. Maybe will be better when Songbird takes over the team in the Fear Itself tie-in.
Re: Marvel Universe discussion (no filthy muties allowed)
#2  June 16, 2011, 05:38:15 pm
You know I am very tired of crossovers and major events like Fear Itself and Flashpoint so, yeah, I haven't even tried to read any of the latest ones. In general I've grown to dislike how many cameo's and guest appearances are in the books lately.

I agree with you that Avengers Academy is the best Avengers title out there. Invincible Iron-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, X-23, Uncanny X-Force, and, I've heard, the current run of Ultimate Spider-Man are all good. At least they are the books I try to catch up on. Spider-Girl was pretty damn decent as well, except for the twitter thing which was annoying, shame no one bought it.

Bendis is great for character central stories and all but he lacks the skill needed for team books.
#3  June 16, 2011, 05:55:34 pm
Tried to read Invincible Iron Man when Justine Hammer appeared as a villain because I really liked her in Thunderbolts, but dropped two issues later cause the story wasn't going nowhere. Has Fraction fixed the pacing of the book?
#4  June 16, 2011, 05:57:31 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
amazing spidey just started to get good. I'm with you on the big events alhambra, both companies just cant stop, after fear itself in marvel, we have schism which is going to break up the X-men. Uncanny X-force is really good,  ultimate X is another good one as well. ultimate Spidey is ok, I'm more looking forward to the new spidey they have coming soon.
#5  June 16, 2011, 07:33:07 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I'm more of a 'wait for the trades' sort of guy, so I don't have much to say about stuff that's going on right now.  I am looking forward reading Deadpool: Fear Itself whenever that gets collected because I know it's being written by Christopher Hastings.
#6  June 16, 2011, 07:52:09 pm
Has Fraction fixed the pacing of the book?

Not really, TBH. I stopped reading it after the whole Doc Ock thing around issue 500. Just before the fear itself stuff. If you weren't enjoying the pacing post "Stark Dissassembeled" then you probably wouldn't like it now. Again though, I'm like 6 issues behind on the book and I'd be lying if I said Larroca's art wasn't a huge factor in me picking it up to begin with. Still enjoyable, and better than most out there.

Ultimate X has been strangely enjoyable. I like the new Angel they have and the whole mutants are illegal angle. I skipped Ultimatum but X has been fun to follow.
Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:56:16 pm by Alhambra
#7  June 16, 2011, 08:24:34 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
After Civil War (or better during and after Captain America Reborn), Marvel goes to hell... really the last sagas sucks so hard, but lately I started to read The Thanos Imperative, I just read Ignition (like the chapter #0) so I hope this get me back the love I got for Marvel in the past :-\

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#8  June 17, 2011, 05:12:28 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I was reading the exiles and stopped after tehy changed writers.
#9  June 17, 2011, 05:53:52 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
which series [e]? I read the original one, then volume 2 was kinda bleh and then I picked it up when they started over (with the black panther,scarlet witch,polaris, beast and blink) then it got cancelled and I cried  :'(
#10  June 17, 2011, 06:12:40 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
i want to see the new Ghost rider chick that will replace Johnny and Dan

maybe this is a new rebirth since only Johnny and Dan are the last Living ghost riders on Earth Thanks to Zadkiel

and now god itself is protecting them
Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:17:33 pm by Duo The Father Maxwell
#11  June 20, 2011, 01:42:45 am
So nows not the time to start reading x-men books?
#12  June 20, 2011, 02:01:18 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
now's probably the best time since everything is about to shift, I just wish everywhere I went there werent so many cyclops bashers. Its like the cool thing to hate cyclops now.
#13  June 20, 2011, 08:11:42 am
    • USA
The only comic I really read was Ultimate Hulk VS Wolverine (Or is it backwards? Meh) and I liked it. I also read the first 2 issues of Fear Itself and have the rest ready to be read and...

*Reads thread*

...OH! I guess this isnt the best start for a comic reading hobbie then  :(
#14  June 20, 2011, 02:10:45 pm
The only comic I really read was Ultimate Hulk VS Wolverine (Or is it backwards? Meh) and I liked it. I also read the first 2 issues of Fear Itself and have the rest ready to be read and...

*Reads thread*

...OH! I guess this isnt the best start for a comic reading hobbie then  :(

There's no thig as bad time to star reading comics, since that are a lot of older comics that you can enjoy while the situation is dire.

I'd reccommend:

Simonson's Thor
Roy Thomas' Avengers
Busiek's Avengers
Busiek's Thunderbolts
Nicieza's Thunderbolts
Ellis' Thunderbolts
Ellis' NextWave
Fraction and Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist
Annihillation and Annihillation Conquest
#15  June 20, 2011, 11:27:13 pm
  • Die you son of a bitch
In terms of marvel, i liked the civil war series, and on an older note i enjoyed the infinity gaunlet story
#16  September 12, 2011, 07:41:39 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Isn't the main Marvel universe numbered 616 in its multiverse setting?

I wonder because I just came across this in the Jess Nevins annotations pages for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969:
"Traditionally 666 has been described as the number of the beast and has been used as such in novels and films like The Omen. But the majority of the early uses of the Number of the Beast were 616, not 666" (commenting on a line in page 37 panel 3)

When was the 616 number first mentioned and by whom?...
#17  September 12, 2011, 08:35:19 pm

I wonder because I just came across this in the Jess Nevins annotations pages for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969:
"Traditionally 666 has been described as the number of the beast and has been used as such in novels and films like The Omen. But the majority of the early uses of the Number of the Beast were 616, not 666" (commenting on a line in page 37 panel 3)

Alan Moore when writing Captain Britain or Excalibur stories, I think
#18  September 13, 2011, 11:54:37 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona

Alan Moore when writing Captain Britain or Excalibur stories, I think

I'd practically forgotten Moore had worked with Marvel (his DC work is more famous), but this sounds remarkably sneaky and appropriate for him  ;D
#19  September 13, 2011, 01:55:17 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
It was also, supposedly part of the address for the Marvel UK offices.
#20  September 13, 2011, 06:09:04 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I'd practically forgotten Moore had worked with Marvel (his DC work is more famous), but this sounds remarkably sneaky and appropriate for him  ;D
I seriously doubt he's trying to reference Marvel, it's just the same biblical reference. Moore doesn't want anything to do with Marvel.

Or DC.

Or anyone, really.