YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2501026 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#9141  September 01, 2019, 04:34:30 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I like X until it switched to 3D graphics. I felt betrayed.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#9142  September 01, 2019, 05:30:08 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
#9143  September 01, 2019, 07:08:17 pm
Am I the only one on the planet who liked X5 way more than X4?
Not to say that I hate X4. More like I hate X4 when it comes to playing Zero. lol
Like, that game is actively against Zero at all times. If you play it as X, it's piss easy.

X5 strikes a perfect balance between the two characters, I feel. Plus, the RNG factor makes naked Sigma Stage runs the moment you start the game really enjoyable, without having to be a masochist. First goddamn try after not playing it for ten years, still feels just as good.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

TBH I though X5 was a broken mess, a bit too many deathtraps and such.
And whatever you put in that spoiler of course lol

But yeah, X7 was worse offender for me.

Than again, maybe I should revisit these games lol
#9144  September 01, 2019, 08:36:16 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Thanks for the feedback as I wasn’t looking forward to trying to get them all, well you have to spread them out as you said, games aren’t that different. How has your experience been so far? You’ve beaten it yet?
There's just so many games that it can really be quite overwhelming, so it's nice that 99% of them are completely standalone!

I've played and completed V, X, T, and A Portable. The first three are all great entry points, and my previous post focused on the differences between them, so I'll talk about the latter instead. A Portable is a PSP remake of the first SRW game on the Gameboy Advance, Super Robot Wars A. It just had a fan-made translation patch released a year or so ago, and the translation is extremely well done. And it's got a great roster, full of classic super robot shows and fun new(ish) stuff like Metal Armor Dragonar and Martian Successor Nadesico.

Unfortunately it can be a bit of a chore to play: they made some very odd balancing choices in the remake that results in your mech's hit rates generally being frustratingly low, while also making your chance of failing to evade your enemies's attacks and being hit by them frustratingly high. The early going was fun for me, at least, because those aspects hadn't quite ramped up yet, and because the gameplay is very old-school SRW, so there's way more consideration you're required to give to tactical thinking (unlike the recent games). And that was a nice change of pace! But by midgame, the frustrating hit/evade rates starts getting pretty annoying, and by the endgame it's just aggravating. I've heard that playing it with cheats for infinite money (to majorly upgrade your mechs's accuracy and evasion rates) and infinite pilot parts (to upgrade the pilots's skills and stats) can greatly help alleviate things, but I haven't gotten around to trying a second playthrough with that.

There's a couple other games with fan translations out: the first three SRW games ever have been translated (they're more interesting as artifacts than anything else, though); the second (and somewhat standalone) game in the much-loved Alpha series, Alpha Gaiden on the PlayStation received one of the first fan translations, and is a lot of people's favorite SRW (though it does get pretty challenging, apparently); finally, the final game on the GBA, J also has a fan translation.

I've also heard that a group is working on translations of GC on the Gamecube, and that they're in the final stages of the project. Translations are also in the works for both Alpha 1 and 2, although 1 has been worked on for over a decade and who knows if it'll ever get finished...

Also worth mentioning are that there are quite a few Let's Plays of various games in the series that also provide pretty thorough translations: they were originally posted on the Something Awful forums but have all been archived on lparchive.org. This one, of SRW Z, was a particular highlight.

I'm still baffled Cowboy Bebop somehow fits into all of these too, though.
It all felt very natural in game, weirdly enough. Or natural for a Super Robot Wars game, at least. Cowboy Bebop doesn't have a ton of its plot represented (it did have more than I thought it would get when the game was first announced, though), which is understandable. But that's OK! The Cowboy Bebop characters get a ton of screen time and get to serve as almost a Greek chorus to all the crazy shit going on.

The incongruity of certain characters/shows is frequently a feature of these games; butting up the super idealistic and/or "childish" against the dark and edgy is one of the most fruitful areas the franchise likes to explore. Some of the best moments in SRWT were things like the Bebop crew brutally roasting Char Aznable from Gundam, or reacting to the magical girl stuff from Magic Knight Rayearth.

There's also a really great DLC mission that has the Bebop crew competing against the cast of Invincible Robo Tryder G7—a whimsical series from 1980 about a grade schooler who has to balance his time doing schoolwork, playing with his friends, and running his deceased dad's company as its CEO... also, the company has a giant robot which he pilots—over a bounty. Those two shows are about as far from each other tonally as you can get, so naturally, they get paired together to let the sparks fly. There's even a lot of similarities drawn between the Bebop crew, always broke and desperate for bounties, and the cast of Tryder G7, the office workers at the Takeo General Company who are always struggling to make ends meet (and have decided to try their hand at catching bounties after seeing the Bebop crew's relative success at it). It's a pairing that has no right existing, and yet it feels completely natural; pretty much Super Robot Wars in a nutshell!

Also in the same mission, Andy from Cowboy Bebop showed up:

That's how it went, right?
Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:40:58 pm by Jmorphman
#9145  September 02, 2019, 02:45:06 pm
Games I enjoyed the most were Alpha(1,2,3), Z and Impact.
I forgot which one, but there was one where you can make units into groups.
It was a special gimmick for combiners, I think.
#9146  September 03, 2019, 02:06:49 am
    • USA
There's quite a few games that have some kind of squad or twin system: Alpha 2 had the first implementation of any sort of squad system, allowing you to group together at most 4 mechs into one platoon. This allowed you to switch out mechs during combat, have all the mechs in the squad attack at once, access those squad members's spirit commands or other special abilities, etc. Alpha 3 refined the system a bit (but still keeping the 4 unit limit), and then Z streamlined and perfected it into a three-unit squad system, with three different possible formations for the squad. Unfortunately the next game in the series, Z2, removed the squad system and it hasn't appeared since.

There's also the twin system, which is very similar to squads (but with only two units, natch), which most of the OG games have. It's also shown up in a lot of the latter portable games, like K and L, and also appeared in both Z3 games.

The squad system always seemed cool to me (though I've never actually played anything with it cuz none of them are in English!) because it provides an interesting layer of strategy (such as: which mechs should be grouped together? gotta make sure not to pair any flying units with ground only ones! these two units have a combo attack, but both can serve as squad leaders, are they better together so they can always do the combo, or should they each lead their own squad and only be able to do the combo attack when they're adjacent?). There's so many units in SRW that just sit in the roster collecting dust because there's no space to deploy them (and also because if the show you're from doesn't feature you as the lead protagonist, you probably aren't gonna be super worthwhile as a unit), but squad systems tend to let you deploy almost every single unit in your roster. That always seemed super appealing, and well worth the additional workload that managing squads necessitates.
#9147  September 03, 2019, 02:30:18 am
  • Examu Advocate
    • USA
There's a couple other games with fan translations out: the first three SRW games ever have been translated (they're more interesting as artifacts than anything else, though); the second (and somewhat standalone) game in the much-loved Alpha series, Alpha Gaiden on the PlayStation received one of the first fan translations, and is a lot of people's favorite SRW (though it does get pretty challenging, apparently); finally, the final game on the GBA, J also has a fan translation.

I've also heard that a group is working on translations of GC on the Gamecube, and that they're in the final stages of the project. Translations are also in the works for both Alpha 1 and 2, although 1 has been worked on for over a decade and who knows if it'll ever get finished...
There have been translations for EX and Masou Kishin in the past year and there was a new translation for 3 in June. They're also working on 4 so eventually, we'll have all of the SNES games in English. I remember someone trying to get into hacking MX Portable for a translation recently but nothing has come up since.

If you don't mind menu only translations, there are some for the Z2 games and... K? One of the DS ones.

Also, Endless Frontier Exceed has had a project going on for a good while and is stated to release "soon".
#9148  September 03, 2019, 04:24:45 am
    • USA
I briefly tried the menu translation for Z2.2 but just couldn't get into it. I don't wanna miss out on the story!
#9149  September 03, 2019, 02:13:17 pm
There's quite a few games that have some kind of squad or twin system: Alpha 2 had the first implementation of any sort of squad system, allowing you to group together at most 4 mechs into one platoon.

I guess it was the Alpha series then, I mostly remember grouping the Brave units together which could combine lol

Quite funny how you can tell so much about these games without playing the majority of them,
while I  can't although I have played those  :mlol:

You also play G Generation?  Those are really good too.
#9150  September 04, 2019, 06:29:19 am
    • USA
Well, I guess reading several LP's and just hanging around various SRW threads has imparted on me a bunch of info and trivia!

I've never tried out any of the G Gen games because even though I'm into Gundam way, way, way more than any other mech show, the G Gen games never really seemed super appealing. They're apparently as broken and easy as modern SRWs, but have very simplistic storylines that are just super basic retelling of stuff from the source material, without even any twists or something to spice up said basic retellings. As neat as shit like having Relena from Gundam Wing pilot the Devil Gundam sounds, it just hasn't been enough to get me to play any of them.
#9151  September 04, 2019, 03:47:41 pm
It really depends on which games. The original G Gen, Zero, F, Seed, and Genesis are more focused on timeline.
Others like Neo, Spirits, World, Overworld were more crossovers. (if I recall correctly).
The key is to trigger certain events before they completely cross.

From Wars or Spirits on, there are "Wars Break" and "Generation Breaks".
Some missions could be "Defeat X within Y turns", "Use X to fight Y", "Get X to point Y" and such.
You get things like the GN-X ambushing the the kids from Gundam Wing or Freedom and Justice fighting the Trinity.

But I agree, later games are kind of broken in some way.
Earlier games are more straightforward and harder.
#9152  September 05, 2019, 12:16:37 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
DEADLY PREMONITION 2 CONFIRMED!!

What the actual fuck is this timeline we're in?!  Holy shit!
#9153  September 05, 2019, 12:57:49 am
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
#9154  September 05, 2019, 05:11:14 am
  • I am a little editor of pixel art
    • Brazil
    • felipexavier.stuart@gmail.com
Am I the only one on the planet who liked X5 way more than X4?
Not to say that I hate X4. More like I hate X4 when it comes to playing Zero. lol
Like, that game is actively against Zero at all times. If you play it as X, it's piss easy.

X5 strikes a perfect balance between the two characters, I feel. Plus, the RNG factor makes naked Sigma Stage runs the moment you start the game really enjoyable, without having to be a masochist. First goddamn try after not playing it for ten years, still feels just as good.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Also X8 was pretty damn good for what it was. Optic Sunflower's stage was exceptionally rad!

People talking about mmx and I lost it? Damn
I like x5 more than X4, but because they should have made X playtrough harder... Also I love shadow devil fight and how I cheese it with falcon.

Also Megaman X is making a return in Mobile with Rockman X DiVE, it uses megaman maverick hunter x engine from psp and is developed by taiwan capcom.
http://rxd.capcom.com.tw/
The game looks pretty damn good even being in mobile plataform, really similar with X8 and MHX, but with some rpg elements.
#9155  September 05, 2019, 06:36:11 pm
Their trailers look cool.
#9156  September 09, 2019, 08:47:29 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com

The GameCube classic returns to a Nintendo console and will make its debut on Sony hardware (and apparently on mobile)
#9157  September 10, 2019, 06:35:35 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
(Double post)

All we need now is Valkyrie Profile, Kingdom Hearts, and Chrono Trigger on Switch and we’re good to go.
#9158  September 10, 2019, 11:51:24 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Do you think God stays in heaven because He too lives in fear of what He has created?

Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:55:17 pm by Person Man
#9159  September 11, 2019, 12:54:43 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#9160  September 15, 2019, 07:47:59 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
New beat em up game.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.