YesNoOk

DC Cinematic Universe: Now presenting Gang Weed: The Movie (Read 1426414 times)

Started by Jmorphman, August 31, 2012, 12:01:22 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Cinematic Universe: apparently Suicide Squad isn't good, actually
#2201  August 04, 2016, 11:51:31 am
  • See you in your nightmares!
    • Sweden
    • bley43@gmail.com
IMDB has it on a 7,8 (it was 8,5 yesterday so it might fall further down).
Still i'm going to watch the movie myself and form my own opinion. These movie reviews can't be trusted (Rotten tomatoes has Ghostbusters at 73% fresh after all.  While at IMDB it falls low and has a 5,4)
#2202  August 04, 2016, 05:52:05 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
it's not a good movie but it's still the best dc movie since batman.
#2203  August 04, 2016, 06:25:31 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I saw it at a premiere. Fucking horrible movie.
- The scenario is inexistant, and has plot holes bigger than the Death Star.
- The pacing is bad, the action is subpar and the whole movie in 3D almost made my head dizzy.
- The supposedly funny moments actually aren't.
- They put random musics in there just because, and which serve no purpose.
- The Joker has no charisma. I usually enjoy Jared Leto, but here the Joker is just a punk gangster with tattoos coming straight from the 50s.

Margot Robbie, with her nice looks (that's an understatement) and decent acting help a little, but clearly can't save the movie.
The only good thing about this movie is that it lasted 1 hour less than Batman V Superman, which made the suffering shorter...

Grade : 3/10
#2204  August 04, 2016, 06:37:30 pm
I was gonna go see this tonight too since I'm off work. But hearing all the reviews that resemble the script being rushed, guess I can hold off. Too many other things I wanna do, and I wasn't interested enough to dedicate hours into this unconditionally.
#2205  August 05, 2016, 03:52:31 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
IMDB has it on a 7,8 (it was 8,5 yesterday so it might fall further down).
Still i'm going to watch the movie myself and form my own opinion. These movie reviews can't be trusted (Rotten tomatoes has Ghostbusters at 73% fresh after all.  While at IMDB it falls low and has a 5,4)
Those IMDB ratings are almost entirely from people who haven't seen the movie yet (because it's not out yet), rating it a 10 in response to the poor reviews.

Movie reviews can absolutely be trusted: at the end of the day, they're just the opinions of other people. Everyone is gonna have their own specific tastes and preferences, so it's perfectly reasonable to disagree with reviews. But that doesn't mean they're invalid.

SNT

#2206  August 05, 2016, 05:05:00 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
My advice is don't go in expecting a Suicide Squad movie, because that's not what this is. Sure, all the other characters get touched upon, but the movie's a character vehicle for a DCCU Harley Quinn, an acid test of whether mainstream audiences will dig a character like her. Hell, even the DC and WB logos were plastered with red and black diamonds and CRAAAZY misspelled scrawly words, it's clear as day.
#2207  August 05, 2016, 08:03:16 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

SNT

#2208  August 05, 2016, 09:05:46 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2209  August 05, 2016, 05:49:11 pm
  • Imagination is the 5th dimension
    • USA
    • sigil777music@gmail.com
Ugh. What a massive let-down the DCEU has been thus far. Is there any chance that the Geoff Johns written Wonder Woman could be any good? Who knows at this point. It certainly won't be if WB keeps pulling this shit:
http://www.newsarama.com/30497-report-suicide-squad-suffered-behind-the-scenes-editing-woes.html

I don't like the looks of Justice League so far. More of Batman not acting anything like Batman. I really liked the WW trailer, but I also liked the SS trailer, and we see how that turned out. I had a lot of hope. Oh well. I am really enjoying some of the DC Rebirth comics, so I have that. The movies were always secondary to the comics for me. I will say though, as far as future readership...There are going to be a LOT of young Marvel fans...not so many young DC fans, with these movies...
#2210  August 05, 2016, 08:29:41 pm
damn and i'm planning to see that movie this sunday too. if suicide squad is a fail then there's no saving dc movie universe. they should stick to making animation instead.
#2211  August 06, 2016, 05:14:53 am
  • fuck me right in the street
    • USA
Why the fuck does every major player in the DCEU know Bruce Wayne is Batman. I understand Waller learns Bruce's big secret in the JL animated series (and perhaps even the books, I haven't gotten that far) But why does Lex Luthor know? I don't like that in this universe everyone is privy to the fact that Wayne is Batman.

I watched SS last night and the movie had its flaws no doubt, but I'm not gonna bullshit and say I was sitting there bored the entire time. The movie was enjoyable, but it was just another popcorn flick.

Spoiler: SS SPOILERS (click to see content)
#2212  August 06, 2016, 06:56:49 am
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
So how was Jai Courtney in the movie? He was one of the actors I was most interested in seeing in this movie, main reason being that it seems like he's not bland like he usually is in the movies he stars in... his character caught my attention as he seems to be exquisite in a way.

Anyways, disappointed that the movie is not getting a good reception... then again I was one of those that enjoyed MoS and BvS soooooo maybe I'll like this one too? I guess I should find out...
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 07:00:04 am by DelusionTrim
#2213  August 06, 2016, 07:25:26 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
He's...Australian. And that's it.

Pretty much every negative review of the film is right; half of the main characters are dead weight and barely have any lines; there's no build up for absolutely anything; the team chemistry is completely shoehorned in the last 15 minutes of the film; fuck Joker Leto.

It's not offensively bad, but it's one of the most brain dead films I've seen in years.
#2214  August 06, 2016, 08:26:54 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I have seen the movie.

It's not offensively bad, like BVS is. Most of the characters are okay. the character that was done the worst was probably the joker as he didn't feel like the joker enough. He basically was a gang boss who was crazy. Also him saving Harley is usually very out of character, but it may be okay early on (as this seems to be) since he isn't bored of her yet.

Captain boomerang was good. I wish he had more lines and was as offensive as the comic book character was, but he wasn't bad. He had my favourite scene in the whole film (which was IMO the funniest). I just wish he had more screen time. If they make a sequel they really, really should focus more on him because if they want to make it funny he's the character they should be using. Not Harley.

The rest of the characters needed more screen time. I understand that Flagg, Harley and Deadshot were the main characters, but honestly if they were going to spend that much time on them they didn't need that many characters. Katana was almost completely irrelevant and were boomerang and Killer Croc they could have not been there and the plot would have been the same for the most part.

SNT

#2215  August 06, 2016, 02:23:09 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
So how was Jai Courtney in the movie? He was one of the actors I was most interested in seeing in this movie, main reason being that it seems like he's not bland like he usually is in the movies he stars in... his character caught my attention as he seems to be exquisite in a way.

Anyways, disappointed that the movie is not getting a good reception... then again I was one of those that enjoyed MoS and BvS soooooo maybe I'll like this one too? I guess I should find out...
Boomerang was probably the third most important SS member. Harley and Deadshot are the stars, Boomerang was their comic relief number three. Surprised at how he was treated; very Aussie, but not offensively so, rarer than it sounds in US films.

From what I can tell most of the people that are hating on SS claimed to have liked MoS and BvS, so... yeah... But don't compare it to them. Compare the tone of it to Guardians of the Galaxy, but don't go in expecting the same sort of ensemble hero movie, because it's not.
#2216  August 06, 2016, 03:42:01 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
For reasons, the movie starts on the 18th August here in Germany.

@the ones who saw SS, is it at least a nice Popcorn movie? You know, the kind of movies with some jokes, action and explosions but you don't have to care about a deeper sense or a good story because the jokes and the action is dominating the movie anyway?
#2217  August 06, 2016, 04:09:03 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
It's really, really dumb even for a popcorn movie and the jokes aren't that good (the funnier ones are in the trailers already) but yeah, if you bring some noisy friends and shut down your brain for a while it's enjoyable.
#2218  August 07, 2016, 03:13:34 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Ugh. What a massive let-down the DCEU has been thus far. Is there any chance that the Geoff Johns written Wonder Woman could be any good? Who knows at this point. It certainly won't be if WB keeps pulling this shit:
http://www.newsarama.com/30497-report-suicide-squad-suffered-behind-the-scenes-editing-woes.html
The movie's gonna have a $150 million opening weekend (which is absolutely nuts!), but it could very well follow the same path as BvS: huge opening but then it falls off a cliff. Depending on how well it does in the next few weeks, Warner might decide that it'll have to micromanage all the movies more, to prevent a repeat of the sort-of poor performances of BvS and Suicide Squad.

But regardless, I think it's fair to be very worried about Wonder Wonder; it was produced and filmed under the same regime that BvS and Suicide Squad were. Of course, there's still plenty of time left for them to do reshoots, and plenty more time to do extensive edits and re-edits to the workprint. But I don't think Warner is going to learn the right lessons from the two DC movies it released this year; if anything, I almost feel like their attempts at course-correcting could prove to be even more disastrous. D:

Bea

#2219  August 07, 2016, 01:14:57 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
I had fun watching it last night. It is not a good film by any means, but Viola Davis killed as Amanda Waller and Margot Robbie was delightful as Harley Quinn. Will Smith was also a fun Deadshot, but in the end, the film felt too cramped with characters.
It felt like there was actually a film there that was butchered to the point of no return. I do hope that a director's cut can fix some of the glaring editing and cut problems the film suffered from.

But at least it was fun.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#2220  August 07, 2016, 02:48:25 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Bea, what do you think of Leto's Joker?
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand