Share this topic:
Re: QOTD
#16541  September 25, 2018, 10:41:25 pm

My eyes have been opened.
#16542  September 28, 2018, 06:26:05 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
This is tricky to understand. But it is common practice in electronics.

First, let me tell you a story: there was a pizza joint we went to in college. If you ordered one of their named pizzas - say “garbage pizza” with everything - and then asked not to have, say, mushrooms, they charged you $1.50 extra not to have that item.

Wait what?? Didn't they save money by keeping the extra topping? Isn't that unfair?

Well, the cooks can make garbage pizzas without thinking. They know the drill. But if you ask for something special, this slows them down. Worse, if they mess up and make the pizza with mushrooms, you will send it back, and they will have to eat that cost. And so in the larger view, a special request cost them money.

This was my first lesson in the difference between the cost of parts, and the cost of labor, and sets the stage for understanding the complexity of Tesla's solution.

The cost of a product is mostly in paying engineers to design it, and then next in the costs of testing and assembly. The cost of parts can actually be a good deal less than these other costs that are spread over the development and production of a device.

So here's the dilemma in hardware production: how to produce a variety of devices (cars) that have different prices, so they are affordable for a variety of budgets?

This is where things seem to go crazy, but there is a logic to it. My husband worked for over a decade as an egineer in the cellphone industry, and he explained that this is how it works with cellphones too.

You want two devices, say, one that's cheaper, and one that's more expensive. But developing two different devices is twice as expensive.

So you develop only the high end device, go through the (very expensive) certification process (which, for cars, includes providing cars to crash test, plus the cost of doing the tests themselves - very expensive!) And you have only one production and assembly line for this more expensive device.

Then you release two cars: one that is sold above the target price, and one that is sold below.

In short, you charge a higher price on the high end phone, to subsidize the cost of the low end phone.

You limit the features through software, which doesn't require separate hardware design, testing, nor assembly lines.

In some ways, this seems crazy, but it has a certain logic to it. It makes development much much cheaper for both devices, because you get two devices for the cost of developing only one. So the high end device is cheaper, because it's sharing development costs with the low end device. In short, development costs are now half what they would be if you developed two devices. Same for testing.

So though it might seem unfair that the higher end device is even more expensive because it is subsidizing the lower cost device, on the other hand, the other device is funding half of it's development and testing costs - which make the high end device cheaper in the long run.

Why even bother having two differently priced devices? Because making a lower cost device expands the market. And making more devices helps economies of scale - this also lowers the price for both devices, which is good for the high end device as well as the low end one.

So this is what Tesla did: they made two cars that were really the same car.

So just giving the low end car full access to the battery for a lower cost defeats the purpose of amortizing development across two products. It's not at all fair to those who pay the higher price for full functionality. The lower cost device must have lower functionality - because the more expensive device can only be better by having full functionality.

This is a really hard concept for Americans who tend to think in terms of “what do I get??” And not about the broader concept of a shared system. So this kind of logic is very difficult to accept.

But in reality, it is still true: that if you don't sell two different devices by reducing functionality on one, it would increase the costs on the more expensive one - because if you don't expand the market to those who can't afford the more expensive ones, then you lose the benefit of economies of scale, and you can't split the development, testing and assembly costs between the two devices.

So Tesla was generous in releasing that functionality during times of crisis. And brave too, because it revealed this paradox of production, and brought down the wrath of those who don't yet fully understand the complication of making hardware devices.

And educating people on this complex issue is not easy to do in a sound bite. :)

Hope this makes things clear.
#16543  October 02, 2018, 07:57:52 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
As a competitive chess player, I used to ignore simple games like Tic-Tac-Toe. That is, until an options trader taught me the amazing variant of Bidding Tic-Tac-Toe!

The game sounds simple enough:

Each player starts off with 100 chips.
Each turn (including the first), the players submit a silent bid for how many chips they are willing to spend for the right to make a move.
The bids are revealed and the player who made the highest bid pays that amount of chips to the other player and then makes his play.
Repeat every turn until the conclusion of the game.

If you bid “23” and I bid “15” then your bid wins and you have the right to make the first move.
See? You got to make the first move, but now you only have 77 chips to my 123. That means I have more power in bidding for the next turn, because if you were to ever get below a certain amount of chips (<25) then I could simply bid more than your entire stack 3 times in a row and win by force!

This game gets ridiculously complicated and has inspired computer scientists working on artificial intelligence as well as mathematicians in game theory. Give it a try with a friend some time- it’s enormous fun to play and so complicated that it is not clear at all what the optimal strategy is even after many games.
#16544  October 02, 2018, 10:41:16 pm
  • I am Real Mekanisteru Zero (Mr. Zero)
I am back since too much year out... and nothing change
Yep I like the Draw an other Things.
#16545  October 03, 2018, 11:07:21 am
Great quote of the day. :P
#16546  October 11, 2018, 03:00:38 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
https://BLACKLISTED WEBSITE.com/wiki/MUGEN:MUGEN_Database
Besides himself and his dupes, GarchompMatt can count on the help of a casual contributor known as RicePigeon, a pedophile nutjob who makes pointless edits to little girl characters every single day, what a sweet life.

Too bad a libel suit probably wouldn't be worth it in the long run... jfc
#16547  October 11, 2018, 06:56:19 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
I went and read through the whole page.  Holy smokes my sides
#16548  October 11, 2018, 07:10:14 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

#16549  October 11, 2018, 07:38:45 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
What a perfect snapshot of like 6-7 years ago

Both in terms of the stuff clearly vexing them and the fresh off the chan humor
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#16550  October 12, 2018, 07:00:46 pm
  • For honor!
God, what is wrong with those MUGEN archive kids.

seriously what is wrong with those MUGEN archive kids.

Also us MUGEN elite were clearly right!  Thanks to open source communism allowing the use of sprite packs ripped at an axis and established system coding, the not-elite characters don't do interesting things anymore like sink into the floor during floorbounce, jitter while moving, or infinite people by walking forward and jabbing. Curse you encyclopedia dramatica and the change you brought! And to think I found that shit funny. In fact I bet the people who wrote that used to think it was funny too.
Iroha stripped for me
#16551  October 12, 2018, 07:40:45 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265

Personally, I found this descriptor funny because it matches identically to how a friend of mine described the place and its regulars.
#16552  October 17, 2018, 09:54:08 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
When I was 18. I was the only pizza driver wiling to go to the “Bad Side” of town. Mostly because I had to go there after work anyway to buy my drugs so…
#16553  October 18, 2018, 11:38:54 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

Security at the expense of usability comes at the expense of security.
#16554  October 19, 2018, 03:36:31 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Brought to you by the Redundant Department of Redundancy.
#16555  October 19, 2018, 04:29:44 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

It's actually not, it's paradoxical.

The gist of it is that measures that focus on technical security at the expense of user usability lead to unexpected security flaws; e.g. when IT emits draconian guidelines for passwords the average office worker does something retarded like writing down his password on a sticky note on his desktop.
Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:35:29 am by Foobs
#16556  October 23, 2018, 10:02:36 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Because it’s like 100 years from now a politician saying that his ancestors were jews opressed by the nazis and in genetic exams you find out that he is only 1% jew; and you also find out his ancestors were nazis and killed a lot of jews.
#16557  October 29, 2018, 04:17:28 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

https://medium.com/s/powertrip/metoo-will-not-survive-unless-we-recognize-toxic-femininity-6e82704ee616

Sometimes I wish I could gather up all the women I’ve ever known, or encountered, and conduct this informal poll:

Raise your hand if you’ve ever behaved badly and blamed it on your period.

Raise your hand if you’ve ever acted helpless in the face of an unpleasant-if-not-physically-demanding task like dealing with a wild animal that’s gotten inside the house.

Raise your hand if you’ve ever coerced a man into sex even though he didn’t seem to really want it.

Raise your hand if you’ve thought you were at liberty to do this coercing because men “always want it” and should feel lucky any time they get it.

Raise your hand if you’ve ever threatened to harm yourself if a man breaks up with you or doesn’t want to see you anymore.

Raise your hand if you’ve been physically abusive with a male partner, knowing you’d be unlikely to face any legal consequences.

Raise your hand if you’ve lied about being on birth control, or faked a pregnancy scare, to see how a man would respond.

Raise your hand if you’ve ever manipulated a divorce or child custody dispute in your favor by falsely insinuating that a man has been abusive toward you or your child.

In this hypothetical gathering of every woman I’ve ever known or encountered (I’m imagining a football stadium at decent capacity), I’m certain there is not a single one of these questions that, if answered honestly, wouldn’t send hands into the air. Including my own. I know I’m guilty on the pest control front. I don’t want to think too hard about some of the others.

We hear all too much about toxic masculinity, that amorphous term that refers to the way traits like aggression and emotional repression are baked into male social norms. It also frequently shows up in online feminism as lazy shorthand for registering disapproval of just about anything men do at all. But when are we going to grant equal rights to women and admit that toxic femininity also exists and can be just as poisonous?

There are minor forms of feminine toxins, like blaming irrational temper tantrums on “being hormonal” or feigning helplessness in order to get what you want. And there are major toxins, many having to do with weaponizing your fragility so that those to whom you cause harm have a difficult time defending themselves, lest they look like the aggressors. Women, of course, can unleash these tactics on other women, be they romantic partners or not. But for the sake of this discussion, let’s say we are talking about women and men and sex. We’ve established that many men are socially conditioned to think that women owe them sex. But what about the women that assume that men should be grateful for any sex they get?

In a free society, everyone, regardless of gender, is free to be a manipulative, narcissistic, emotionally destructive asshole.
Throughout my life, I’ve heard countless men tell stories about going ahead with sex even though they didn’t really want to. Sometimes, it was because they didn’t want to hurt the woman’s feelings. Other times, it was because they feared being perceived as having a low sex drive.

A remarkable number of men have told me about times when women approached them and, often wordlessly, initiated sexual encounters without the slightest provocation or questions asked. I’ve heard, more than once, about unsolicited hand jobs on school buses when they were boys. Also, more than once, men have told me about past grade school camping trips or overnight parties wherein girls they barely knew slipped into their sleeping bags or beds. In some cases, the men were happy to oblige the women’s desires. In other cases, though, they went through with the encounters because they didn’t want to make an awkward situation even more awkward.

These stories have been relayed to me in a tone I can only describe as bafflement. The men are not complaining, but nor are they boasting. If anything, they seem to be struggling to find the words to describe a not-entirely-welcome encounter that they felt they had no right to regard with anything other than gratitude. Needless to say, if you imagined any of these situations with the genders reversed, you’d have the potential for very different framing.

I realize that the physical size difference between most women and most men means that the above comparison isn’t entirely fair; a woman who’s sexually aggressive with a man is probably not putting him in insurmountable physical danger. And I’m cognizant of the fact that for every bad behavior I mentioned in my opening list of questions there is an equal, opposite, and potentially more physically threatening form of bad behavior that men can, and do, visit upon women with just as much frequency.

But that, right there, is precisely my point. In a free society, everyone, regardless of gender, or any other identification, is free to be a manipulative, narcissistic, emotionally destructive asshole. So I’m not sure why men have been getting all the credit lately.

The #BelieveWomen memes that have arisen in the wake of #MeToo in general, and the Brett Kavanaugh saga in particular, are coming from a place of empathy and good intentions. But they’re also stripping women of our complications and contradictions, and therefore our humanity.

For what it’s worth, I believed Christine Blasey Ford’s testimony about what happened between her and Kavanaugh when they were in high school. It is my personal belief, based on nothing more than gut feeling, that things transpired more or less as Ford described them and that Kavanaugh was too drunk at the time to remember. I believe that Kavanaugh effectively lied under oath about the extent of his drinking, and that this alone should have disqualified him from holding a seat on the Supreme Court.

But there is a difference between believing and knowing. Even if the judiciary committee had done the right thing and subpoenaed Mark Judge, who witnessed the encounter between Ford and Kavanaugh, and forced him to testify under oath, no one would ever have known definitively what happened that evening. All the truth digging in the world will not change the fact that all kinds of people misrepresent, misremember, misinterpret, and willfully or unwillfully make misleading statements for all kinds of reasons.

And that is why #BelieveWomen, with its suggestion that women are some monolithic entity that is inherently more moral, innocent, or trustworthy than men, is not just reductive but insulting. Women are not simple, guileless creatures to whom only the most innocent motives should ever be ascribed. Both sexes contain multitudes. Or, as George Carlin put it, “Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.”

#MeToo is important. #BelieveWomen is hollow sloganeering.
My opening list of “raise your hand” questions surely set some teeth on edge. It’s difficult to talk about things like women tricking men into getting them pregnant, not least of all because it makes you sound like a part of the men’s rights movement — a loosely knit and often self-defeating enterprise that overrides legitimate grievances about, say, the family court system, with ambient misogyny and conspiracy theories. When I was in my twenties, just hearing a phrase like “tricking men” would have made me assume it was coming from a woman-hating kook.

But the thing about growing older is that over the years, you run into more and more people and see all the different kinds of havoc they can wreak. I know men who, amid contentious divorce proceedings, have been accused, preposterously, of spousal and child abuse. I know women who are so skilled in the dark art of gaslighting that the targets of their mind games, be it boyfriends or BFFs, don’t stand a chance. Once, while working with high school students, I overheard some girls joking to one another about how they were going to go out that night and “hit on older guys who don’t know we’re underage and later be like ‘Dude, you’re a pedophile.’”

I decided to give the girls the benefit of the doubt and assume they were just goofing around, condemning misogynist stereotypes about young women as jailbait by ironically reclaiming those stereotypes. Along the way, I tried to think like a good feminist and consider that patriarchal societies foster or even force this kind of manipulative female behavior because it’s often the only power available to women.

But that’s an excuse and a poor one. Some women act abominably because some people act abominably.

The famous line “Feminism is the radical notion that women are people” has been popping up on bumper stickers and T-shirts since the 1980s. But in 2018, many feminists seem illogically invested in the idea that women operate under a different set of standards and practices than men and might, in fact, be something rather separate from “people.” They will say this is because women are still often reduced to second-class citizens; underpaid in the labor force, underrepresented in politics, and undermined and ignored when, like Ford, they speak up about their experiences.

But can we please put this into some perspective? There is now an entire literary genre — and, more than that, vast quarters of the mainstream media — devoted to women speaking up about their experiences. Every day, the stories roll across my news feeds faster than I could possibly read them, their headlines tweaked to clickbait perfection. “Thanks for not raping us, all you ‘good men.’ But it’s not enough,” went the headline of a Washington Post guest opinion column earlier this month.

Meanwhile, when men speak up about what it’s like to be accused of sexual misconduct — or just navigate the sexual arena in general — the only culturally sanctioned response is to paint them as entitled whiners at best and narcissistic and, of course, toxic sociopaths at worst.

#MeToo is important. #BelieveWomen is hollow sloganeering that will ultimately set us back rather than move us forward. Like all movements, #MeToo will live or die by the degree to which it’s willing to let people in. Until it makes room for examinations not just of toxic masculinity but also toxic femininity—and, even better, dispatch with these meaningless terms—it will continue to tell only half the story. Until it admits that women can be as manipulative and creepy and generally awful as men, the movement will continue to send a message that we’re not really whole people. And why would anyone believe someone like that?
#16558  November 01, 2018, 09:05:34 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I've been volunteering at a needle exchange for the last year and coaching a chess team of underprivileged kids on Chicago's west side, and nothing annoys me more than people who “correct” my “microaggressions” when I'm speaking about the volunteer work I do.

I once had a white person correct me when I referred to the kids I work with as “Black.” I wanted so badly to say, “Wow! Those kids who are facing hunger and gang activity are so grateful for your amazing contributions to their wellbeing. No wonder you don't ever volunteer with me!! That must be exhausting for you!”
#16559  November 04, 2018, 01:40:28 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
At this point im pretty convinced World of light is some kind of meta narrative on smash fans. With the thousands of master hands representing the fans, all the characters in the roster get killed and the spirits of literally who's pretend to be in the roster.
#16560  November 04, 2018, 04:31:31 am
that is a game equivalent of those snubby art guys who buys modern art.