YesNoOk

Arcade Mode in Modern Fighting Games? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts?  (Read 118054 times)

Started by The Shakunetsu, April 15, 2022, 06:58:40 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Arcade Mode in Modern Fighting Games? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts?
#21  April 29, 2022, 10:53:08 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Hard disagree with those saying Arcade mode should go.  Survival mode and Story mode are in no way replacements for Arcade mode.  Survival tends to be endless a straight-up encourages a different playstyle from your normal one.  Arcade mode lets you get right into a series of matches, but story mode has you sit through a series of cutscenes before the fights.  That's even assuming the story mode treats all characters as equal and lets you play actually play the characters you want, or even have the same number of matches compared to other characters.  The closest thing would be Score Attack or Time Attack, but even those have their own differences that affect one's playstyle.

Having character specific endings and story segments in arcade mode is nice, but not a deal breaker for me.  Just give me my sequentially difficulty increasing matches, random selection of opponents (as opposed to a fixed order), cheating final boss, and risk of losing a 1CC for the Arcade mode, and I'll be satisfied.
Re: Arcade Mode in Modern Fighting Games? Is it worth it? What are your thoughts?
#22  May 01, 2022, 07:53:39 am
  • Wandering....
What are your ideas to upgrade it but still keep it short but exceptional among the other modes?

To be honest Arcade mode has a lot reply value than Storymode
#23  May 01, 2022, 04:44:16 pm
Arcade mode is mandatory in any fighting game for me.
Remember SFV when it lunched with a lazy story mode and no arcade ?

It gives me the option to start the game up, smash a few heads and go back to doing whatever.

SNT

#24  May 04, 2022, 06:12:50 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Arcade Mode is as good as the devs will let it be. If it's just eight fights, a boss and a final score, well that's just Time Attack with a different metric. If you go full ham with it though, bonus stages, midbosses, rivals with special intros, score-dependent secret bosses, fancy unique endings... hell, that can be better than some games' attempts at a Story mode.

Far as I'm concerned Arcade Mode should always have a home in a fighting game, so long as it's not completely half-assed. I for one like what SFV did with it as of the first big update, can't remember what they called it, with the themed arcade modes based on previous SF iterations. Sure, we're past the days that even Tekken do fancy FMV endings for everyone now, but even the single comic panel that SFV gave you was a neat enough reward for an arcade run.
#25  May 04, 2022, 10:14:18 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
bonus stages, midbosses, rivals with special intros, score-dependent secret bosses, fancy unique endings

That's too much work tho.

Back when people literally put coins in slots to play a game, the companies tried their best to keep things interesting to make the players put more money in.
Nowadays, games are mostly one time payments that don't bring steady income unless their DLCs sell. That's why companies tend to focus more on DLC content than base game as the latter has a limited cash flow to it.

Think about it, why make bonus stages, midbosses, secret bosses and etc when you can sell them for extra money?
This is why unlockable content has dwindled over the years since putting extra effort to make games interesting doesn't make them money.

The only company that still does this is SNK (with free DLCs and unlockable stages and costumes) and *somewhat* NRS (with the Krypt) but the rest of them have already jumped on the DLC bandwagon and they're not coming back.
#26  May 04, 2022, 11:04:58 am
    • Germany
Think about it, why make bonus stages, midbosses, secret bosses and etc when you can sell them for extra money?
This is why unlockable content has dwindled over the years since putting extra effort to make games interesting doesn't make them money.

Thats sadly not only a problem with fighting games, but a problem with many games in general these days, companies try to sell more and more content that was free before, extra levels bonus costumes and so on, even content that would be part of the Basegame in the past, they just withhold it so they can sell it as a DLC later, sometimes the DLC is just an unlock for things that are already in the game from the start.
#27  May 05, 2022, 01:12:51 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
for example CVS2 relunched is not possible due to the politics games companies has adopted now a day like secret bosses and reliable roster isn't possible anymore