YesNoOk

Question in making custom large portraits (Read 6307 times)

Started by Kabalyero, August 29, 2007, 12:02:59 am
Share this topic:
Question in making custom large portraits
#1  August 29, 2007, 12:02:59 am
    • themebi.deviantart.com
Hope someone will be able to help me with this.

What I'm looking to do is make unique, original large portraits for set characters in my drawing and coloring style. I've been looking for some tutorials on this, but I'm still not fully sure on how it works and still have a few questions.

1) What's the general pixel size large portraits need to be?

2) Will the portrait need to be shrunk down to 256 bit?

3) Will I have to alter the palette to have the portrait work or is there a way to get the portrait to work without having to alter the palette?

If anyone could give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated! I don't think I'll ever be a character maker, but I still want to contribute to this community and this would be a great start in doing so if I can get it off the ground.  :)
Re: Question in making custom large portraits
#2  August 29, 2007, 12:18:08 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
there are certain sizes, depending on how's your mugen configured, most notable variables are if you are using either doble res or single res.
#3  August 29, 2007, 12:25:48 am
    • themebi.deviantart.com
there are certain sizes, depending on how's your mugen configured, most notable variables are if you are using either doble res or single res.

Ah I see, would you say though that the most common would be double res, single res, or is it more of a "by character" sort of thing?

I noticed that there is a push lately for higher res content in mugen, but I'm not sure if large portraits have been effected by that push or not.

Also, would the portrait have to work with the character's pallete or is it seperate from it?
#4  August 29, 2007, 12:53:19 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the palette is separate for most cases.

you might want to try out playing with a few screenpacks, take a shot using f12 and measure it in photoshop.
#5  August 29, 2007, 01:05:54 am
    • themebi.deviantart.com
the palette is separate for most cases.

you might want to try out playing with a few screenpacks, take a shot using f12 and measure it in photoshop.

Thanks R[E]ika! I'll do just that then. :)

Oh, sorry to keep bugging you about this, but should the portrait be within 256 bits or not? Last thing I ask on here, promise lol. 
#6  August 29, 2007, 08:56:14 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Yes.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#7  August 29, 2007, 07:42:06 pm
    • themebi.deviantart.com