YesNoOk

Nightwing (Read 3572 times)

Started by Umezono, October 17, 2018, 02:52:46 pm
Share this topic:
Nightwing
#1  October 17, 2018, 02:52:46 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com

Well lads, after ~6 years of being registered on this forum, and maybe 10 years of usage of MUGEN altogether, I have finally decided to earnestly try my hand at creation once again. I am going to be using the sprites from Mu and Mcready's Nightwing. The character I am taking the sprites from was also apparently edited by iron-angelus, Pilgrim and Mistah George. To put it bluntly this was a terrible character that was apparently leaked from ScruffyDragon eons ago and has gone through quite the ringer. The reason I'm choosing to tackle this as my first character is because this was the first character I actually remember downloading.

Now, this isn't so much an edit as it is a complete overhaul utilizing the sprites. I opted to export the sprites and rebuild the SFF and AIR manually, as well as put together an entirely new SND, apply new hitsparks, and eventually recode the whole thing from scratch. Rebuilding the SFF/AIR, while it may seem counter-intuitive, has the added bonus of:

* realigning everything
* completely fixing the horrible CLSNs
* removing or tweaking some of the unnecessary special moves and supers

I mean needless to say, his current gameplay, code, CLSNS, etc... are not good lol.

For the CLSN's, I am going the route I went with my long dead Holy Ken fix (RIP) and basing everything off the Street Fighter alpha series, and to do that I am running the lua hitbox viewer on FBA-rr as so, and doing my best to approximate some hitboxes:

Note that some of the Alpha 2 stuff at the very least is very wonky so I also plan to use some Marvel 1 boxes for the basics and specials, cause some of those seem better and a bit more in spirit with the versus roots of the character. Now that I've finished adding all the gethits and whatnot, I've started building the character in earnest. Here's the CLSNs for the idle animation to show you the marked improvement from what I'm working with, and will update the thread with more as I go, since this is the first step and I'm focusing on just this right now:

vs.

As for the SND, I'm thinking of using sfx from the CPS2 Marvel games. (Maybe the alpha series would work better?)

Now I am not a coder, so this will be my first attempt really delving into something like this. So I cannot expect any sort of source accuracy my first try around, BUT... I would like to make it somewhat faithful to either SFA. I am leaning towards SFA over MVC because I don't like air combos. This is a question for further down the road after I finish building the necessary files first. But I think I can save myself some grief just keeping it more alpha-based. However it'll still be more of a custom type deal. Cause I'm gonna be learning to code, so I'll be feeling around multiple systems and trying to make something work. THAT SAID, if there's source accurate SFA/2/3 characters you know of send them my way cause I'd like to at least emulate some of the velocities, hit/blockstun, etc. Also, sadly, this lad has no throw sprite that I know of so he won't have a throw.

I'm using a variety of sources for tutorials, inspiration, etc. I will compile a list of people to credit soon. What I could use from the community right now is guidance and patience, cause this will be my first character. And people willing to rigorously tear it apart for feedback when it reaches the testing stage.

Hope to see this completed by next year. Thanks for reading
Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:56:44 pm by Umezono
Re: Nightwing
#2  October 17, 2018, 03:01:56 pm
  • The Illusionary Wanderer
  • I have a dream
    • Vietnam
Interesting choice of edit. I like your direction on him by getting rid of unnecessary stuffs and air-combo (it's so damn overrated among DC Chars, they aren't MvC ya know).  That being said, this Nightwing is really horrible (stiff anim, lack of sprites,...) so unless you can make extra sprites for him, I'm afraid that he won't get any better. Anyway, good luck on the project.
#3  October 17, 2018, 03:09:14 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Yeah, can't fix the stiff animations cause I'm not a spriter. I just wanna do some simple gameplay stuff so I can learn to code lol.

I can address the lack of sprites by making it a very stripped down, bare bones sort of gameplay. He lacks a crouching medium kick so I may just make him 4 buttons, for instance.
Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:14:58 pm by Umezono
#4  October 17, 2018, 06:53:16 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
I'm not aware of not 1 accurate alpha char at all lol
alpha 3 does have a interesting counter mechanic
I can get in depth on later tho
#5  October 17, 2018, 08:56:10 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Well shit, guess I'm just approximating then. I don't feel like doing artmoney tables for my first character when it's not even from source :P
Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:59:14 pm by Umezono
#6  October 17, 2018, 09:34:39 pm
  • Symbiotes
    • Ukraine
    • malevka2011@yandex.ru
    • Skype - malevka2
    • deviantart.com/malevka1/gallery

good luck with this project

DW

#7  October 21, 2018, 08:59:59 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Well shit, guess I'm just approximating then. I don't feel like doing artmoney tables for my first character when it's not even from source :P

You don't have to. Also, like you said, the is a custom char, there are no Artmoney tables for him. I advice getting your own "rhythm" for mapping clsns. While using commercial games as guidance. I personally map my clsns based on a blend from KoF and some of the later Capcom fighters. I like the simplicity and structure that SNK does with their hitboxes. They're straight to the point and map them very efficiently. Though at times they give too much priority to attacks imo. That's where the Capcom influence comes in for me. Though I feel like Capcom does do really odd and excessive maps at time. Finding a middle ground between the two works really well for me.

What you have there for the stance is definitely a vast improvement. Not really sure if you need that bottom 3rd box though for his feet. Pulling the body box down to ground level would suffice imo. Though what's there isn't bad. At any rate, keep at it. Over time, you'll find your own way.
#8  October 22, 2018, 01:41:10 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com

You don't have to. Also, like you said, the is a custom char, there are no Artmoney tables for him. I advice getting your own "rhythm" for mapping clsns. While using commercial games as guidance. I personally map my clsns based on a blend from KoF and some of the later Capcom fighters. I like the simplicity and structure that SNK does with their hitboxes. They're straight to the point and map them very efficiently. Though at times they give too much priority to attacks imo. That's where the Capcom influence comes in for me. Though I feel like Capcom does do really odd and excessive maps at time. Finding a middle ground between the two works really well for me.

What you have there for the stance is definitely a vast improvement. Not really sure if you need that bottom 3rd box though for his feet. Pulling the body box down to ground level would suffice imo. Though what's there isn't bad. At any rate, keep at it. Over time, you'll find your own way.
Yeah, initially I just pulled the body box to the ground, but I was experimenting with the way capcom did the boxes. But I figure it might be more useful to do a box for his feet when he's doing an attack frame that I want to make more easily punishable or something. So I may just remove the third box now.

As for artmoney, I was referring to using artmoney to get the velocities and such from SFA. Of course I wouldn't copy it verbatim but I wanted to get a general feel for timing in the game without guessing!
#9  October 22, 2018, 05:25:58 am
  • Just your regular user
  • The Dragon is Here!
    • Mexico
    • twitch.tv/dragonofcourage90
You can guide his specials and supers from Injustice: Gods Among Us.
The Dragon is here!
#10  October 22, 2018, 08:20:17 am
  • The Illusionary Wanderer
  • I have a dream
    • Vietnam