YesNoOk

Animation Character Select Screen (Read 3696 times)

Started by TETSUGA GENSHO, June 17, 2016, 11:08:46 pm
Share this topic:
Animation Character Select Screen
#1  June 17, 2016, 11:08:46 pm
  • Rawr!
i'm aware there's already a topic about this.. but its a very old post and i don't want to necro bump it..

rather i'd like someone to do a step by step tutorial instruction on how this is done because the explanation given in previous posts go way over my head and also i've tried and it leaves big gaps between the characters .. i've messed around with different value spacing, cell size and also POS coords on the sff.. such as 0,0.. 320,280 (this works for a single line kind of).. and a few other options. i would greatly appreciate someone taking the time out their day to make an indepth tutorial.. i think it wouldn't just help me but others within the community.

thanks for reading :)
Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:30:58 pm by TETSUGA GENSHO
Re: Animation Character Select Screen
#2  June 18, 2016, 03:05:34 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
This has limited application. Effectively you are taking the cursor animation and turning it into character animations on a per character,per screen basis.

If your resolution is set to 320x240 your cursor image will be 640x480 and will contain 4 characters on the select screen. Each character lives in its own quadrant, it's own 320x240 block. You can then use the cursor as the animation. Each character will be animated at the same time, all in the one huge image.

All the tweaking comes from the spacing. You don't actually put anything on the screen for the small portraits at all, that's managed by the cursor image as well. EVERYTHING is in the cursor image. That's the whole tweak.

It sorta works. But as it moves you will occasionally get odd looking effects as the transition isn't instant. And of course as you add more characters the image gets bigger and bigger. I believe at some point the size of it is not feasible for mugen and it just gives up. Especially if you get into high res or HD.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  June 18, 2016, 05:30:44 pm
  • Rawr!
This has limited application. Effectively you are taking the cursor animation and turning it into character animations on a per character,per screen basis.

after like 2mins of me posting that i had already figured it out and came to the conclusion that its more trouble than its worth especially on a 1280x720 scale.. just for 4 characters u ultimately need 2560x1440 so basically depending on if ur planning to use 2 rows 5 columns ur width has to be literally 5x the size of 1280 plus then u have to align each one perfectly or it will just look like shit. i know u need to do this anyway for a character for example, but with that scaling trying to make the adjustments its just wayyyyy too much work for 10 characters. and the end result is just bad.. u get this sliding in effect.. good if thats what ur looking for.. but overall just bad... however if elecbyte was to add in anim portrait support i think it would look amazing.
#4  June 18, 2016, 06:31:26 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
Could anyone cite a sample screenpack that uses this method? I've always wanted to try this, but never really had the materials needed for study,

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
#5  June 19, 2016, 01:45:50 am
  • Rawr!
Could anyone cite a sample screenpack that uses this method? I've always wanted to try this, but never really had the materials needed for study,

what size of screenpack? i will try to do one the thing is.. it'll all be in PNG format and i'll explain in depth the instruction needed to pull it off.
#6  June 19, 2016, 03:05:48 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
It's not something you can do as a screenpack unless you do

Here is a screenpack. To use it you will need Terry, Kyo, Iori and Ryo in CvS2 format all by Warusaki.

Nobody does that. Sometimes people do it for compilations. But it's very much a full game/personal use thing. Not something you're release because it's prescriptive rather than open.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#7  June 19, 2016, 04:33:37 am
  • Rawr!
It's not something you can do as a screenpack unless you do

Here is a screenpack. To use it you will need Terry, Kyo, Iori and Ryo in CvS2 format all by Warusaki.

Nobody does that. Sometimes people do it for compilations. But it's very much a full game/personal use thing. Not something you're release because it's prescriptive rather than open.

i'm only gonna show how its done in png .. the rest is simply straight forward..

this is how it worked for me.. now i'm sure there's another method.. probably simpler too.. but it works
i'm also using single sprites as an example (place holder if you will) basically to make this a working animation u'd need 5 (or as many as it takes for a smoother animation) of these png's done with the different character animation sprite..

so 5pngs for a resolution of 1280x960 for 4 characters but as i said this will only really demonstrate 2.

in your system.def for select screen set these:
pos = 0,0
cell.size = 680,480 (size of ur resolution screenpack)
cell.spacing = 0

now that part is done next part is to do the fun stuff.
1. make your canvas for the select character icons (this is hard fixed into your system.sff)
example: unfortanetly my transparency didn't exactly work lol but whatever show must go on. (if u haven't already guessed the 2 characters are ryu and ken :P)
2.  make another canvas for the cursor (yey the fun stuff) resolution should be 1280x960 this will allow you to have 4 sections at 640x480 resolution.
3. add in to bottom right canvas as this will be your first initial character selection your place holders (makes it easier to work with)
Placeholders to add in:
- Character Icons (use the grayscale ones i uploaded if you like)
- where the character animation will be. (this makes it easier to measure things up to animate later and to add to other sections)

3. first thing to do here will be to place your selected character's icon (i had chosen the 1st column on the 1st row

the first section (since i didn't make 4 characters pretty much explains what i've done.

4. once you have added your work into the system.sff you will need to align it to x: 640 y: 480 this selects the bottom right section (640x480) of the image as it will be ur initial character.. in my case 0,0 startcell Ryu.

if i was to continue to make all 20 characters of this roster i'd need to make my canvas size 6400x960 (the height doesn't change if you are using 2 rows.. if you are using 3 rows then 960+480 and so on and so on).

hope it helped if any questions just ask here.
Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:41:51 pm by TETSUGA GENSHO
#8  June 30, 2016, 06:49:47 am
  • Wowzers!
thnx now i understand. man thats gonna be a big file for 8 chars
#9  June 30, 2016, 11:46:57 pm
  • Rawr!