YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread (Read 1071981 times)

Started by AlexSin, October 14, 2012, 11:57:57 am
Re: [Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread
#1121  April 11, 2017, 11:34:46 pm
    • USA
It's not that, I'm not angry I just worded that wrong. But I do feel offended because this guy basically just told me that I will never amount to anything and that is highly offensive.
#1122  April 11, 2017, 11:40:47 pm
I think you're reacting a post he didn't make. It seems to me that what Walruslui is saying is that the Z2 style is more ambitious than you're capable of handling right now, and you might end up getting burnt out or frustrated if you take it on right now because it probably won't match the quality standard and it's very demanding. I'm not a artist so I can't really weight in, but maybe it would be a better idea to take on smaller projects while you're developing your basic foundation skills.

lui

#1123  April 12, 2017, 12:03:38 am
    • USA
I think you're reacting a post he didn't make. It seems to me that what Walruslui is saying is that the Z2 style is more ambitious than you're capable of handling right now, and you might end up getting burnt out or frustrated if you take it on right now because it probably won't match the quality standard and it's very demanding. I'm not a artist so I can't really weight in, but maybe it would be a better idea to take on smaller projects while you're developing your basic foundation skills.

exactly this

It's not that, I'm not angry I just worded that wrong. But I do feel offended because this guy basically just told me that I will never amount to anything and that is highly offensive.

pixel you are taking what I said very personally which is the worst thing to do when taking feedback. I didn't say not to sprite at all, I said that you should practice a lot before tackling an entire spriteset especially in the z2 style which is very demanding. based on what I've seen in your sprites you still have a ways to go, which again is not saying that you should stop entirely, it means you need to practice which is not a bad thing at all. don't put words in my mouth please, I never said that you will never amount to anything, that is complete bullshit.

I think you should work on your anatomy and details before trying to undertake a full project.

The body is just not really shaped right.

iced said literally the same thing I did a while ago and you didn't react like this then, why react now?
Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:23:54 am by Walruslui
#1124  April 12, 2017, 12:25:37 am
    • USA
How else am I supposed to take your feedback when you literally said that I am a beginner who will never post anything of good quality?

BTW, I finished the sprite:

But I guess no one really cares, since all I am in walrus' eyes is just a beginner who won't ever amount to anything.

lui

#1125  April 12, 2017, 12:28:55 am
    • USA
How else am I supposed to take your feedback when you literally said that I am a beginner who will never post anything of good quality?

BTW, I finished the sprite:

-insert image that's irrelevant here-

But I guess no one really cares, since all I am in walrus' eyes is just a beginner who won't ever amount to anything.

I don't recommend taking on force's project until you actually learn a bit more about pixel art in general.

from what I've seen you still have a ways to go before you get the z2 style down, not to mention animating and keeping things consistent with the z2 level of quality takes quite a bit of practice.

my advice is to practice. practice anatomy, shading,  anti-aliasing, palette picking, just the basics really until you work your way up to animations eventually. z2 isn't a style that you would want to undertake making a whole spritesheet for until you have more experience if you want that kind of level of quality

I did not say you would never amount to anything, you're just spouting just plain bullshit now. I said you need to practice.

if you can't even take feedback like this at face value and react violently like this, THAT is when you have no hope of actually improving. don't be that kind of person
Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:50:03 am by Walruslui
#1126  April 12, 2017, 12:30:36 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
What Walrus tried to say is that no one started knowing. Z2 style is like big shoes to fill for a project, specially if that's your FIRST character. So, practice unctill you're done to the style, DON'T STOP SPRITING, continue and once you're sure, go on!!

I'm a decent spriter and Walrus gave me some pointers to improve my work, and hey! there's no problem! we all here are for learning and improving together :)!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#1127  April 12, 2017, 12:33:55 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

Lighting on the artist right hand is off, at least when compared to the artist left hand. Also, what's going on with the pants? Folds look all over the place, and I'm not even sure what the heck is going on with his shirt, like... whats wrong with the middle section? Is he hiding a growth in there?

Time allocated to improve =/= improvement. Just remember that.
This is a generic forum signature.
Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:44:40 am by Hatter

HQ

#1128  April 12, 2017, 01:42:37 am
...this guy basically just told me that I will never amount to anything... nothin'

"Yeah, this album is dedicated to all the teachers that told me
I'd never amount to nothin', to all the people that lived above the
buildings that I was hustlin' in front of that called the police on
me when I was just tryin' to make some money to feed my daughter,
and all the niggas in the struggle, you know what I'm sayin'?

Uh-ha, it's all good baby bay-bee, uh"

1) Instead of getting offended by a dude you don't know, and who in return doesn't know you, I'd recommend investing the time in spriting, spriting AND spriting. Everyone gets better with practice (if one is open to constructive feedback). I think somebody should have told you that already, but if anyone tells you that you don't amount to anything (which I didn't read in his reply though) then go ahead do your own thing and eventually prove everybody wrong by succeeding in it (in the thing you strive for - if it is something criminal though, then don't quote me on that). That is a much better thing to do, instead of creating drama in a thread about a certain sprite style.

#1129  April 12, 2017, 03:22:18 am
    • USA
Thanks for the kind words, and I must say, when looking back at my earlier messages today I was acting very juvenile. It is clear to me now that as an artist of any sort one must be open to criticism, and feedback of all types. Even though I was implicitly told that I would never amount to anything, the way I reacted was childish. I am sorry for starting Drama here and what not. And I hope you will all forgive me. Also I have edited the sprite a bit and thought that it would be able to re-present to you all:

Your feedback would be much obliged.

ZX2

#1130  April 12, 2017, 03:26:38 am
  • Bringer of Unseen Tales
  • The Finale Begins With You~
Sigh Ooohh jeez.... Oh boy  :shifty: Good thing I put in 9999 minutes to stay logged in. Just woke up minutes ago from a 3 hour nap.

May I say something? Pixelqted maybe I shouldn't of had said that the way Walruslui said what he said in that message felt somewhat discouraging (To me if I were you it somewhat did. but that's the result of not being able to handle such feedback). I feel like my comment didn't spark it instead it might've gotten Walruslui to make a reply that might've needed to be tuned down a bit. Also when I said
he is somewhat right although if you do wanna take it seriously practice does make perfect long as your enjoying the adaptation of your work like adapting off of failure I guess. :/
I was agreeing to the "advice" he gave just put it into more gentle words as such, he's not out to get at ya I'm sure he doesn't mean it in that sort of form.

Lighting on the artist right hand is off, at least when compared to the artist left hand. Also, what's going on with the pants? Folds look all over the place, and I'm not even sure what the heck is going on with his shirt, like... whats wrong with the middle section? Is he hiding a growth in there?

That right there doesn't exactly help the novice or beginner if he does want to improve as the progress to improve takes time. you barely gave a single comment on HOW it's improved from the last time he posted, Especially if you compare the two sprites it at least shows that this paste time (Probably busy with other things as well) he has Tried. same thing with me being a straight up novice on here, I tried, I impressed (somewhat), I learned, I make another attempt, I get feedback (either good or bad), I take it how it was meant as feedback, I try and study that feedback while practicing for sometime (Depending on if you wanna spend you whole schoolnight =_=;), I come back, and whats next? I receive the feedback whatever comes after that is up to the one giving it.

What Walrus tried to say is that no one started knowing. Z2 style is like big shoes to fill for a project, specially if that's your FIRST character. So, practice unctill you're done to the style, DON'T STOP SPRITING, continue and once you're sure, go on!!

I'm a decent spriter and Walrus gave me some pointers to improve my work, and hey! there's no problem! we all here are for learning and improving together :)!

I like this ^ because it's literately my GF. lol

But look Pixelqtd here's what I'm gonna suggest so no one gets too fired up.
1. Look into all the feedback giving from the advice the spriters in this thread have given either to you or me or some other beginner
2. Practice making your Pippon look better to the lowest standards that I guess others have when they look at the Z2 style at least the start of someone's project like mine for example.
3. Don't get butthurt. always take a comment with a grain of salt.
4. This for everyone here, Relax this is a FAN MADE GAME "by the fans, for the fans" a whole community helping each other build this amazing game. it's fine to give someone feedback but just be a little conscious about the level that spriter is at because otherwise this happens. to them it's like putting something right over on their picture they put mom and dad's refrigerator when really it's still showing most of the kid's picture (Yeah I don't know where I was going with that one ignore it lol).

Edit: was about to post this then Pixelqted's replied. Nice Pippon
#1131  April 12, 2017, 04:13:38 am
    • USA
Than bro, also I have made a quick "mockup" to show how the animation for pikkon's idle could potentially play out. (Obviously I will have to redraw him frame by frame to make it look organic but this was just a quick update to show his motion). Opinions?

ZX2

#1132  April 12, 2017, 04:41:44 am
  • Bringer of Unseen Tales
  • The Finale Begins With You~
Not only redrawing him frame by frame. also fixing some folds here and there with the pants & shirt. but hey it's a good start
#1133  April 12, 2017, 05:18:50 am
I still think you're reading an insult that isn't there, but being open to learning from criticism is the important thing.

Your new sprite looks a lot better. I think I have an idea of how you can improve it further. The way you've drawn it so far lacks a sense of physicality. Look at this:

I don't think Balth would draw the legs so thin, but I'm not an artist. But I think you get the idea. It seems like Balthazar has considered where the legs are and how the clothes are draped on them. The pants for both characters are baggy so they droop down, but they still lie flat against the top of the leg. It's harder for me to figure that out with your sprite, and my guess ends up looking weird.

lui

#1134  April 12, 2017, 05:31:51 pm
    • USA
Even though I was implicitly told that I would never amount to anything, the way I reacted was childish.

this will be the last time I talk about this, why don't you tell me where in my post exactly it says I said you can never amount to anything? I want to get this out of the way already, it's confusing because according to the others:

I still think you're reading an insult that isn't there,--

if anyone tells you that you don't amount to anything (which I didn't read in his reply though)

What Walrus tried to say is that no one started knowing.

I never said that you did. it's not very healthy to cling onto a reasoning that doesn't exist. I'm not sorry for not wording things "nicer", i'm very straightforward in my feedback, i've done plenty of commissions and i know what i am talking about, I did not say anything aggressive or anything like that at all.
Re: [Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread (inspired)
#1135  April 12, 2017, 06:15:03 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - iamvictorrios
This is my favorite post in this topic. It shows how time and practice pay off.
From time to time it's good to remember how Balthazar' skills have improved throughout years of practice:

People beginning their spriting career shouldn't expect to become the next Balthazar in one day after doing a couple of sprites, so critics should also be soft on their comments, keeping into perspective Balthazar's own evolution.

The above picture is a clear example on how hard work results in great sprites. If your sprites nowadays look like Balthazar's first attempts, you are certain that with some practice and hard work, you guys could also achieve the same quality.
#1136  April 12, 2017, 09:37:27 pm

That right there doesn't exactly help the novice or beginner if he does want to improve as the progress to improve takes time. you barely gave a single comment on HOW it's improved from the last time he posted, Especially if you compare the two sprites it at least shows that this past time (Probably busy with other things as well) he has Tried. -stuff that is off-topic-
But look Pixelqtd here's what I'm gonna suggest so no one gets too fired up.
1. Look into all the feedback giving from the advice the spriters in this thread have given either to you or me or some other beginner

Spot the contradiction! :D

2. Practice making your Pikkon look better to the lowest standards that I guess others have when they look at the Z2 style at least the start of someone's project like mine for example.
Eh, what? :wtf:
#1137  April 12, 2017, 10:44:29 pm
    • Portugal

Any feedback is welcome!
#1138  April 12, 2017, 10:47:06 pm
    • USA
Guys, Does this look too bouncy for an idle anim? (Still gotta work on refinement, inbetweens, and shading)

Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:51:32 pm by Pixelqted
#1139  April 12, 2017, 10:52:40 pm

Yeah, too bouncy. But it's not just that. I don't think pants behave like that, also I'm having some difficulties imagining the legs inside those.

Before starting an animation I would fix the initial sprite, there are many wrong things in it, like the shading (one of the hands seems to be lighted from the floor and the shirt has this weird shadow near the hand, among other things) and the details, like the shoes...

Any feedback is welcome!
Light source is wrong on the shirt; its upper part isn't shaded like the rest (talking about the white).
The arm outlines looks wrong here, why use a dark colour inside and the slightly lighter colour outside?
There are two transparent pixels on her neck area.
Her proportions look very weird, I know you used Cammy as a base but they don't fit in the style.
Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:00:57 pm by AlexSin
#1140  April 13, 2017, 01:12:20 am
    • USA
    • Skype - iamvictorrios