YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread (Read 1071659 times)

Started by AlexSin, October 14, 2012, 11:57:57 am
Re: [Theme Thread] Z2 Sprite thread
#1261  May 11, 2017, 06:29:52 pm
    • Argentina
Thanks for the comments, guys. I really appreciate how much love he received!

@Balthazar: You totally made my day when I read your comment last Saturday! Thanks!
#1262  May 16, 2017, 07:39:14 am
    • Mexico
http://armentis.deviantart.com/ http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=133017.0
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

lui

#1263  May 16, 2017, 08:21:11 pm
    • USA
it's a decent start, but you just straight up stole the legs from Karin and beefed em up a bit. if you atleast reshaded it to look a bit more different it would be better

ZX2

#1264  May 17, 2017, 06:55:24 pm
  • Bringer of Unseen Tales
  • The Finale Begins With You~
it's a decent start, but you just straight up stole the legs from Karin and beefed em up a bit. if you atleast reshaded it to look a bit more different it would be better

Well I wouldn't say stole, but more like used for concept (Like how I used some things from the hyper dbz characters for Ethan The Human's Armored Trunks Z2 & my OC Z2). I have to say it actually looks nice way better looking then a Videl sprite I saw in this thread, or somewhere else long ago. It just needs the proper re-shade.
#1265  May 17, 2017, 08:06:41 pm
    • Canada
I also did a Videl sprite a couple weeks ago.

Not Z2 perfect, I imagine, but I think it turned out pretty good. Nico_18 set the standard pretty high for the female characters that follow.

ZX2

#1266  May 17, 2017, 09:08:24 pm
Yeah I didn't even nail it with my OC when I tried making the first female character for Hyper DBZ

(Even though that was before we got a first look at Android 18).
#1267  May 19, 2017, 08:05:39 am
    • USA
    • Skype - iamvictorrios
A lot of interest in the ladies at the moment.
I'll put my little lady on the stage too.
I added 2 or 3 in between frames and adjusted some other stuff.

Here is a link to an edited stream of me making the sprite.

Just finished the crouching/standing animation.

Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:40:48 am by Alpha Proto
#1268  May 19, 2017, 08:16:18 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Fantastic Arale animation there.

Shit
#1269  May 24, 2017, 02:43:10 pm
  • Live with a burning passion!
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
New standing Bardock I made, used balmsold's fantastic Goku for a base for the face and overall pose. Everything else was from scratch!
#1270  May 24, 2017, 03:32:49 pm
  • Getting better, still a long way to go
    • UK
That's actually not bad dude, but it has some problems. His anatomy and hair are kinda hanky, his shading is quite off and some of the areas look kinda screwed up. Plus his pose feels too loose considering he's fuck mothering Bardock XD Still need a lot of practice, but it honestly is starting to look better. Keep on trying man, you are improving
#1271  May 24, 2017, 08:08:41 pm
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
How you do the shading? I really just eyeball'd it so idk where to start with shading tbh
#1272  May 24, 2017, 08:40:17 pm
    • UK
Sorry I'll try to help in like an hour, I'll edit this post when I can properly respond

lui

#1273  May 24, 2017, 11:05:01 pm
    • USA
that stance is awkward as hell and does not look like a natural fighting stance. he looks like he needs to take a shit, I cant imagine any move transitioning to that stance without it looking weird
#1274  May 24, 2017, 11:28:16 pm
    • UK
He is also correct about that lol
The shading comes from directly above, as in it is constantly being shaded from directly above the sprite, similar to various Capcom fighters, Street Fighter being a good example. As a matter of fact, i made this a while back and only just now uploaded it

A small little image i keep in case i need a quick little refresher while shading. I don't use it much these days as I understand the core elements and am now still refining each style, but still. The arms are shaded in  CVS, SF3, Z2 and SFA in that order, perhaps this could prove helpful
As for the pose, i'd reference other fighting game sprites, as well as looking up actual martial arts to see how they hold themselves. Anatomy wise, thats a general thing that should be studied ALL THE TIME. It is infinitely useful to learn, and will ultimately be incredibly helpful both in the short and long term. Never said it'd be easy tho i still fuck up ^^'

Its something to work at man, it is difficult, but keep at it.

ZX2

#1275  May 25, 2017, 12:30:15 am
Well I think that's what separates a fighting game character from from others. I mean you have freiza who has his arms crossed yet they still mentioned to have his punches transition as close as possible. Some characters even straight up have their arms in front of them yet the sprite animator/artist finds a way to make the move transition, and it's more impressive of having a weird fighting pose yet somehow able to make the move transition. Yes I would recommend looking up actual martial arts, but then again it is DBZ we're talking here so sort of just making up a unique fighting game pose for Bardock is better.

@Yoshin222: That's actually pretty interesting I might use that if you don't mind.
#1276  May 25, 2017, 12:42:31 am
    • UK
Oh of course feel more than free to
And while i do agree, honestly looking at martial arts, at least at first, canhelp give a solid foundation as to why a person would choose to adopt that as their stance. You can tell a lot about a character from how they stand. For instance, SF3 is my go to example. Whilst some stances are questionable, for the most part it is a solid reference. Ryu stands in a fairly basic pose, rising and falling at a moderate speed, but thats just the kinda guy he is. Very calm and middle of the road, indicating focus and concentration. Alex stands leaning in towards the opponent, his arms by his sides moving and gripping the air, implying he is just itching to grapple you. Elena less takes a stance and more dances for her idle animation, very fitting of a Capoeira practitioner. Hell, even Seans stance is technically good, despite being literally Ryus at a different speed. He bounces quickly, fast, with a youtful energy that shows exactly what hes about. He wants to learn the Ansatsuken style, and is also a filled with the exuberance of youth along with being incredibly determined and rearing to go. Touches like that, at least to me, make a solid stance

lui

#1277  May 25, 2017, 03:48:50 am
    • USA
you're overthinking it a tad bit.
go with a stance that fits the character itself while also having it make sense for a fighting game. it doesn't have to be martial arts based if you don't want to. many characters have the arm crossed pose as it signifies a more empowering and proud stance like bison, gargos, etc.
#1278  May 25, 2017, 04:24:56 am
    • USA
    • kory.wyant@gmail.com
all right, can do! i'll try and try again until I get this right. I want to have a good base if I'm doing a project (hopefully).
#1279  May 25, 2017, 03:04:54 pm
    • UK
Come to think of it, I've been sitting on this for a bit, didn't know why i didn't upload sooner lol
But anyway, I actually have done a bit with Bardock. Contained in the spoiler due to chunkiness
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

But quick question, could someone help me with Bardocks height? I keep looking and its incredibly inconsistent. Some places list him as being exactly Gokus height, others have him at anywhere to 5'11 to 6'1. What do you all think i should do regarding that?
#1280  May 25, 2017, 04:07:17 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Everytime I see this big portrait:

I think on this:
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!