YesNoOk

Favorite TIPS quotes about mugen. (newbie starter thread) (Read 603 times)

Started by [IN]famous, May 03, 2012, 07:31:01 am
Share this topic:
Favorite TIPS quotes about mugen. (newbie starter thread)
#1  May 03, 2012, 07:31:01 am
Hey MFG,

Do you have a favorite TIPS quote about mugen? Something you were told or maybe read that either explained something to you about mugen you didn't know before or would seem valuable to a new members wanting to get into the creating process? If you do, please post them here.

Cyanide said:
In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

8) So true. (This is in Cyanides sig and gets straight to the point. I likes.)

... I wonder why no one has made one of those yet. It would be a handy tool to have. :sugoi:

Fighter Factory only uses PCX image files.

I can't remember where or who posted this one little line that helped me in the begining but it is usually one of the first problems a newbie spriter will run into.

Question: "Why do my images no work when I put them in FF. I'm saving them as (insert file type here)."
Reply: "You need to save them as PCX files."

:)
80%
Re: Favorite TIPS quotes about mugen. (newbie starter thread)
#2  May 03, 2012, 09:18:37 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
"Here's a great M.U.G.E.N. tip for all you aspiring creators.... To name your character, put a name in the 'name' parameter in the character's def file."
#3  May 03, 2012, 01:53:49 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
The quest to finalize your roster never ends. You're always going to have a work in progress on something.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#4  May 03, 2012, 03:08:16 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Always keep a backup of your workfiles. Too many ultimate mugen projects have been lost forever due to a hard disk crash.
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#5  May 03, 2012, 04:01:09 pm
    • Thailand
#6  May 03, 2012, 04:15:03 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Always keep a backup of your workfiles. Too many ultimate mugen projects have been lost forever due to a hard disk crash.

Yup. Hello 3 copies of everything: Second PC, Terabyte HDD and three flash drives!! Tech failing on me has resulted in being paranoid of data loss.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#7  May 03, 2012, 05:19:09 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/

like my top fighter 2 project. which was totally gonna be finished anyway, but still sucks.
#8  May 03, 2012, 06:34:30 pm
  • Never finishes anything
    • USA
    • sinhra.com/mugen/ermacwon/index.html
Always remember to turn debug mode on when testing out your character by pressing CTRL + D if isn't already on.  It can assist in pinpointing problems with your character by giving detailed information, such as your character's stateno, the amount of ticks\frames are being played in the animation, the amount of active helpers, and more.

Look through this thread.  There are numerous common errors in character coding addressed here.  There are even some simple copy & paste solutions.
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=99092.0

Remember to always include all of the required sprites in your character.  If you don't you'll get a lot of debug errors in mugen and your character might not react properly to throws and other attacks.

If you use a set of sprites that are all uncropped and on the same axis, don't crop the sprites until you've finished adding them to the SFF file.  Cropping beforehand will result in misaligned sprites.

On another note about cropping sprites, Fighter Factory has an autocrop feature that will crop EVERY sprite in your SFF file. that can be used by pressing CTRL + K.  Use it to crop all of the sprites in your SFF file before release.

Even more about sprites and alignment.  If you, for some reason, have to use cropped sprites with no specified axis, then make use of Fighter Factory's onionskin feature to help align things quicker.
#9  May 04, 2012, 11:34:19 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Yikes Ermac, those are some fantastic pointers. You mentioned some stuff that I never knew of, like onionskin. One small step closer towards editing characters....