YesNoOk

MvC Sprite Edits (Read 37119 times)

Started by Graphicus, September 02, 2013, 06:07:56 am
MvC Sprite Edits
#1  September 02, 2013, 06:07:56 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Nothing too interesting... just wanted to see what both of these could potentially look like so I figured I'd edit them myself...

MvC3 Wolverine

MvC1/2 Non-"Iron Man swapped" War Machine based on the in-game artwork (that actually WAS war-machine).

MvC3 stance for 2D Iron Man (old stance visible next to it):

These are not projects, just sheer curiosity on my part. I'm posting them in case you find them interesting or something :P

You're welcome to give me some crits if you want (I always welcome feedback) but again, nothing tangible is going to come out of this anyway (other than self-improvement on my end, maybe :P)

If you have suggestions for any sprites that can be updated/fixed, let me know... these are fun to do.
Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:44:12 pm by Graphicus
Re: MvC Sprite Edits
#2  September 02, 2013, 06:29:07 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
I like them, especially War Machine

#3  September 02, 2013, 06:47:33 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
War Machine edit actually looks much nicer than the original. :)
It's such a shame that Capcom got lazy and made him just a color swap of Iron Man with slightly modified moves. A new design would have looked better for him IMO. :P

But yea, nice work. :)

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#4  September 02, 2013, 07:10:57 am
    • Argentina
The funny thing is that all the portraits and artwork WERE changed... it's only the sprites they left untouched... so the portraits didn't actually match the sprites they were representing, which actually makes it worse in a way :P

My understanding is that they wanted to actually put Iron Man in the original MvC since he's the title character of the comic book, but Activision had exclusive rights to the license during the time between MSH and MvC2. It was Marvel's idea to use War Machine instead as the closest replacement Capcom could use for Iron Man.

My War Machine edit is supposed to address exactly that problem... I didn't just pick ANY War Machine design... I copied the one from the portraits and artwork in both of the games in which he appeared.
#5  September 03, 2013, 07:41:35 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Those deserve to be made.

DW

#6  September 03, 2013, 08:10:53 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
The funny thing is that all the portraits and artwork WERE changed... it's only the sprites they left untouched... so the portraits didn't actually match the sprites they were representing, which actually makes it worse in a way :P

My understanding is that they wanted to actually put Iron Man in the original MvC since he's the title character of the comic book, but Activision had exclusive rights to the license during the time between MSH and MvC2. It was Marvel's idea to use War Machine instead as the closest replacement Capcom could use for Iron Man.

My War Machine edit is supposed to address exactly that problem... I didn't just pick ANY War Machine design... I copied the one from the portraits and artwork in both of the games in which he appeared.

Hmm... That's an interesting story. While that may be the case, a color swap of Iron Man and labeling it War Machine was still pretty lazy. Yeah, it may have taken a bit longer to add the extra details to him, but the core basis was still there with the Iron Man sprites. That does look really good. Nice job.
#7  September 06, 2013, 09:33:38 pm
    • Mexico
http://armentis.deviantart.com/ http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=133017.0
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#8  September 06, 2013, 09:44:33 pm
    • keroroseed00@hotmail.fr
war machine ( *__*) gooooooooooooood <3
#9  September 07, 2013, 09:38:57 am
    • Argentina
graphicus I think this is the same idea , I know  is more like iron man but have his differences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVK88JTDMY

That's pretty awesome!

Again, mine are all supposed to be edits based on the official games/artwork. I don't usually do custom changes. Think something along the lines of "What if CAPCOM had had the time to edit the War Machine sprites?" or "What if MvC3 was still 2D?". Pretty much that.

war machine ( *__*) gooooooooooooood <3

Haha, glad you like it :D

#10  September 07, 2013, 04:11:45 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
nice love warmachine
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#11  September 07, 2013, 04:17:05 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
You do a full sprite sheet of that War Machine and I'll let you shit on my chest.

Okay not really but it would be pretty awesome and somebody would inevitably want to code it.
#12  September 21, 2013, 05:21:57 pm
    • Argentina
Current WIP:

This is the conversation that went through in my head:

- What would someone need if they wanted to make an MvC3 Iron Man in MUGEN?
- Resprite every frame in his 2D sheet to match the new armor?
- Hell no! He has the exact same moveset, just a different armor!
- Ok, well... his stance is different. He's no longer hunching.
- Wouldn't it be easier to just sprite that stance in his old armor then?
- Well, sure... you lazy #$@*!.
- What was that?
- Nothing! Don't forget to sprite his ultra move too. That's also new.
- Yeah... not happening. It's a stupid ultra move... Why is the beam from his chest stronger than his Proton Cannon? I mean, if that's the case... why the #$@* does he even have a Proton Cannon then?
- You suck.
- #$@* you too, buddy.

So, after I took my medication and stopped hearing voices in my head, I decided to just do an MvC3 stance using his 2D design. Some of the proportions are off (left shoulder, mostly), but I plan to fix those during the coloring process.
Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:47:32 pm by Graphicus
#13  September 21, 2013, 05:39:07 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
wish you luck really waiting for this for koldskool ironman
good luck bro
#14  September 21, 2013, 05:45:25 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
man this is awesome, good luck with it ^^
#15  September 21, 2013, 06:25:18 pm
    • USA
I love you Graphicus
#16  September 21, 2013, 06:42:39 pm
    • Argentina
All done!

It says "Edited...", but technically I drew everything from scratch except the head and looked at other sprites to ensure that the shading looked legit.

Process: I took a screenshot of MvC3, then resized it, streched it horizontally (this Iron Man is a bit chubbier than the sleek MvC3 one) then drew over it. I had to make the arms more muscular and longer to match the 2D sprites.

EDIT: Love you too, buddy! :D
Sorry that I haven´t made much progress with your request :P
Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:46:26 pm by Graphicus

Zox

#17  September 21, 2013, 07:17:41 pm
    • simonblmnt@hotmail.com
#18  September 21, 2013, 09:02:49 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
wow i have to say it was pretty fast and it look very good cant wait to see more iron man really deserve it good luck
#19  September 21, 2013, 09:14:59 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio

#20  September 21, 2013, 10:22:34 pm
    • USA
Dont worry it's fine! There's no rush for the animation. That Iron Man sprite looks really official. Nice work!
#21  September 21, 2013, 10:32:43 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
also this is just a suggestion but maybe when you are done with ironman maybe you could do hulk with is world war hulk attire and again good luck bro
#22  September 21, 2013, 10:46:29 pm
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
I most say, you've gotten far better at shading sprites. Excellent Work, Graphicus!! :)
#23  September 21, 2013, 11:19:18 pm
    • Argentina
What about Cap. America with the Avengers movie outfit?

also this is just a suggestion but maybe when you are done with ironman maybe you could do hulk with is world war hulk attire and again good luck bro

I'm mostly looking for "official" edits... not just edits for the sake of edits. Stuff like, "Hey, this should've been X", or "This is missing, even though it was featured in X" or "This was updated in X way in 3D, it'd be nice to see what it would've looked like in the original 2D". I don't know how to explain it, really... :S

Stuff like alternate costumes is not really my thing. I just had a hard time thinking of more of these examples, so I asked you guys to pitch in to see if you could remind me of one of these cases. Hope I don't sound like a jerk for saying all that. I'm just clarifying what I meant... I still appreciate that you suggested something. ;)

I most say, you've gotten far better at shading sprites. Excellent Work, Graphicus!! :)

I'm getting there! I still have to look at an existing sprite to get it to look decent, which makes it take much longer... I still can't do it comfortably without reference. I can't shade instinctively, is what I mean :P
Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:48:32 pm by Graphicus
#24  September 21, 2013, 11:30:41 pm
#25  September 21, 2013, 11:34:08 pm
    • Argentina
Which part of the leg?
#26  September 22, 2013, 12:30:44 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
dont worry graph and good luck
#27  September 22, 2013, 02:08:09 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

I'm mostly looking for "official" edits... not just edits for the sake of edits. Stuff like, "Hey, this should've been X", or "This is missing, even though it was featured in X" or "This was updated in X way in 3D, it'd be nice to see what it would've looked like in the original 2D". I don't know how to explain it, really... :S

Are you looking for missing moves or forms in other adaptations?

If so, I highly suggest watching the 90's Ironman cartoon for the 2nd season. His armor was designed to morph to other Ironman armor like samurai, drill ,space, stealth, underwater and many more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIpnt5BAhlY
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#28  September 22, 2013, 08:31:57 am
    • Argentina
Are you looking for missing moves or forms in other adaptations?

I knew I hadn't explained it very well...  ;P

I'm looking for changes specifically within the setting of the CAPCOM universe of Marvel-based games, not any external source. It's easier to understand if you look at the things I've already submitted.

For example:

Wolverine: I didn't just give him ANY alternate costume (and he's had a LOT of them :)). I just went from MvC2 to MvC3 to see how the same outfit might've looked like if the 3rd game had been kept in 2D.

War Machine: I made this one to settle a teeny-tiny pet peeve of mine, which I wish CAPCOM would've addressed back with Mvc1/2... the fact that they simply recolored the Iron Man sprites when even the actual in-game portraits (and artwork) showed a War Machine-looking armor. I edited the same reused sprites so they would match the artwork in the game. Again, I definitely could've picked from a million different War Machine armors if I just wanted to do an edit for the sake of an edit, but the idea here was to address something within the setting of the CAPCOM game-franchise itself.

Iron Man: This came to me when I looked at Steamboy33's sprite art for MvC3. I noticed he edited storm's outfit, but not Wolverine and Iron Man's outfit (not complaining, just saying)... so I edited the former myself, and then for the latter I thought: Hey, I have two choices. I could either draw the new armor in CPS2 style, or I could draw the new stance with the old armor. I ultimately decided to go for the latter choice, because people could actually get some use out of it. See, there's no way I'm going to edit EVERY SINGLE Iron man sprite with the new armor, so someone making an old-school looking MvC3 Iron man would at least need the stance changed so they could make the hitboxes match, since pretty match all of the remaining moves in MvC3 are the same as the ones he had in 2D.

Does this make sense at all? Oh, also... please don't suggest MvC3 alternate-costumes. I know those are technically in-game changes, but they don't apply in my head because CAPCOM never would've made these if they had kept the game in 2D.

I guess the suggestions I'm looking for are something along the lines of "It always bothered be than in X game, they didn't do Y, even though this change was featured in Z".
Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:37:36 am by Graphicus
#29  September 22, 2013, 10:04:08 am
Which part of the leg?

Near the knee.
Like this:
(also I edited the lines under the knee to make them more rounded, but it's a not-so-good attempt; the edit is that part under the "edited by Graphicus")
Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:48:37 am by Alex Sinigaglia
#30  September 22, 2013, 11:56:39 am
    • Argentina
Ah, I see what you meant. I rounded the lines in his left leg but not the right one so much. You're right!

Is this better?

#31  September 22, 2013, 12:50:00 pm
Yes, that's better.
#32  September 22, 2013, 05:22:25 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I guess if they could, War Machine could use Iron Man's original stance.
#33  September 24, 2013, 10:58:24 pm
    • Argentina
I guess if they could, War Machine could use Iron Man's original stance.

Isn't that what is already in the first post? :P

Hey, can anyone familiar with MvC3 (which I'm not) tell me which moves are new to UMvC3 for characters that were featured in the 2D games? Either regular, special or super moves...

Here are the ones I already know of:
Ryu: Shinkuu Hadouken in different directions.
Wolverine: Berserker Rage.
Shuma Gorath: Hyper Mystic Ray.
#34  September 24, 2013, 11:02:27 pm
    • USA
There are also redone moves, like Iron Man's launcher/S.HK

Iron Man: Angled Proton Cannon
Magneto: Fatal Attraction, Repulsion and Reverse Polarity
Chun Li: Shichisei Ranka

DW

#35  September 24, 2013, 11:03:09 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Ah, I see what you meant. I rounded the lines in his left leg but not the right one so much. You're right!

Is this better?

That's very nice. My only gripe is that this is Mark 1 armor with Mark 2 stance... :-\ Still a nice job though. Ironman's armor in MvC3 is the sleeker Mark 2 model. You can really tell the difference, especially with that stance.
#36  September 24, 2013, 11:03:34 pm
  • JNS
  • The One and Only
    • battlecraze.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
Hulk's Jumping S is new. You could edit it off of his standing Heavy Punch.
Iron Man's Iron Avenger.
Doom's Hidden Missiles and Level 3 Super (Forgot what it was called, I don't play Doom much.)
Sentinel's new command grab.
Tron's new command grab and command grab super.
Hope this helps.

玉と碎けよ!
Mugen Things I Did/Battle Craze!!
#37  September 24, 2013, 11:19:57 pm
    • Argentina
That's exactly what I was looking for :D

More of them, everyone!
#38  September 25, 2013, 02:52:10 am
Doom's Hidden Missiles and Level 3 Super (Forgot what it was called, I don't play Doom much.)

If you were to do either of these animations, I would love you forever.  Not really, but I would keep a picture of you in my wallet, and every time I opened it to pay for something, I'd give you a little head nod and a smile.
#39  September 25, 2013, 02:53:54 am
    • USA
His level 3 super uses existing animations already, no need for spriting.
#40  September 25, 2013, 02:56:15 am
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
I thought he meant doom's Level 3 in MvC3 where he sits in his chair and presses a button. I guess that wouldn't be too hard.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#41  September 25, 2013, 02:58:43 am
Yep, he'd need the little button press and the chamber thing that electrocutes the opponent.  Wouldn't be much, but it would be nice to have.
#42  September 25, 2013, 05:09:08 am
    • Argentina
I'll give Dr. Doom a shot... Don't wanna get your hopes up, though... He might be a lot harder to sprite than Iron Man.
#43  September 25, 2013, 05:25:24 am
    • USA
#44  September 25, 2013, 03:49:46 pm
  • SNK is life
Wow, the arm is different EVERY. FRAME.

I couldn't have achieved that even if I tried.
#45  September 25, 2013, 04:29:11 pm
    • Mexico
    • https://nestor-2099.github.io/gamedev/
Really nice sprites graphicus :D can I use some of those for a char?
#46  September 25, 2013, 06:25:41 pm
    • Argentina
Absolutely, everything is usable (Please credit me, though :P)

I guess I'll try doing his Level 3 Super Move, then (the one with the throne and the explosive chamber).

EDIT: Better late than never:

That's very nice. My only gripe is that this is Mark 1 armor with Mark 2 stance... :-\ Still a nice job though. Ironman's armor in MvC3 is the sleeker Mark 2 model. You can really tell the difference, especially with that stance.

Yeah, but other than being nice to look at, it would serve no purpose, since there's no way I'm editing ALL of his sprites to match his new (Extremis) armor :D... By adapting that stance so that it uses his old (Modular) 2D armor, someone who doesn't care about the different armor and wants to go for an old-school feel can create an MvC3 version for MUGEN, since most of the remaining moves are the same.
Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:07:07 am by Graphicus
#47  September 26, 2013, 01:43:59 am
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
    • www.youtube.com/user/karate867
#48  September 26, 2013, 02:07:05 am
Someone did Hidden Missiles already

I've seen that before, and while decent, it looks like he's rolling dice instead of snapping his fingers.  Plus it's missing the...uh...hidden missiles.
#49  September 26, 2013, 02:56:50 am
    • USA
The missiles should be helpers/projectiles coded into the char.

DW

#50  September 26, 2013, 03:07:21 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I've seen that before, and while decent, it looks like he's rolling dice instead of snapping his fingers.

LOL! I can't un-see this now. Dr. Doom at the Craps table. >_< Though still, it works. Also yeah, what MC2 said. The missiles wouldn't be apart of the anim. They'd be separate sprites. Could just use like, War Machine's missiles from "War Destroyer".

Yeah, but other than being nice to look at, it would serve no purpose, since there's no way I'm editing ALL of his sprites to match his new (Extremis) armor :D... By adapting that stance so that it uses his old (Modular) 2D armor, someone who doesn't care about the different armor and wants to go for an old-school feel can create an MvC3 version for MUGEN, since most of the remaining moves are the same.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I figured you were just making single sprite edits anyway. That's what I remember reading in the first post. Just a "what if" sort thing like you did with Wolverine and War Machine. In essence, what you did to them is just something nice to look at. Changing War Machine armor really served no purpose, other then making him look better. Wolverine...doesn't really look better, it's just different, MvC3 look. I just figured that's what you were going for. Though if you plan to do Iron Man's MvC3 stance entirely for practical usage with his MSH/MvC2 sprites, that'd be cool.

#51  September 26, 2013, 03:45:55 am
I was just getting at the actual missile array that pops up, not necessarily the missiles themselves.  My attempt at being witty was horrendous.
#52  September 26, 2013, 07:29:17 am
    • Argentina
I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I figured you were just making single sprite edits anyway. That's what I remember reading in the first post. Just a "what if" sort thing like you did with Wolverine and War Machine. In essence, what you did to them is just something nice to look at. Changing War Machine armor really served no purpose, other then making him look better. Wolverine...doesn't really look better, it's just different, MvC3 look. I just figured that's what you were going for. Though if you plan to do Iron Man's MvC3 stance entirely for practical usage with his MSH/MvC2 sprites, that'd be cool.

I was just doing it for fun for Wolvie and War Machine. For Iron Man, though, I had some schizophrenia-laden conversation with myself, which you can read in detail in page two. So, Iron Man is the exception. :)

Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, but yeah, you're right... I could do an MvC3 version just to look at... probably will after I'm done animating Dr. Doom's Level 3 super. ;)
Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:25:27 pm by Graphicus
#53  October 12, 2013, 04:25:45 pm
    • Argentina
Bump-a-thon!

Here's a little preview of my new submission, which I thought you might enjoy:

#54  October 14, 2013, 05:58:30 am
    • Argentina
Bumpety-bump-bump-bump!

Another preview (since you guys didn't seem too excited about the last one :P)

Still have to animate him pressing the button. I might also change the frame in which his hand is up. The current one is stolen from his winpose, but it doesn't fit too well. It was also difficult to draw that chamber from scratch and make it look like it could fit with the art-style... I should probably look at Dr. Doom's stage from MSH for some inspiration.

What do you guys think of the animation so far?
Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:46:51 am by Graphicus
#55  October 14, 2013, 06:00:52 am
    • USA
That animation is looking pretty sweet.
#56  October 14, 2013, 06:20:23 am
That looks fuckin awesome, dude.   For the chamber, maybe one more shade (highlight) would help it blend better with the chair.  Speaking of which, you can use this one if you want, which has the cushion and lights separated.
#57  October 14, 2013, 06:51:15 am
    • Argentina
For the chamber, maybe one more shade (highlight) would help it blend better with the chair.

I wanted the chamber to share the same exact palette as the chair, so I can't add any more colors, unfortunately.

Speaking of which, you can use this one if you want, which has the cushion and lights separated.

That color separation looks like it was a pain in the butt! Kudos to whoever had the patience to do that! I don't plan on color separating this animation, though. If someone wants to go in and change it later, they're welcome to do so.
#58  October 14, 2013, 01:15:39 pm
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
The chamber definitely needs work, I think. Shapes are kind of poorly defined, and as far as I can tell there isn't really a clear light source. I can only sort of guess based on how it's shaded (and from familiarity with MvC3 of course) that it's meant to be metallic, but I don't think the effect is convincing. I'm not sure off the top of my head what would make a good reference, but I would suggest looking for appropriate stages or characters and study how the effect is achieved there. For a chromey look you generally want mostly dark, kind of flat-looking surfaces with very strong and sharp specular highlights. Subtle or not-so-subtle rim lighting is also a good way to convey a reflective surface (look at Dr. Doom's arms for instance).

I'm also somewhat concerned about the perspective. On its own it looks fine, but instinctively I feel like maybe it won't match characters/stages so well? I don't know that it's "wrong" - I'd have to see it in the proper context to know - but it's something you should definitely keep in mind, IMO.

I think what you have is a decent start for sure though, with some more work it can end up quite nice. Animation looks pretty good.
#59  October 15, 2013, 03:11:39 pm
  • SNK is life
It was also difficult to draw that chamber from scratch and make it look like it could fit with the art-style... I should probably look at Dr. Doom's stage from MSH for some inspiration.
The animation is great, but like you said, since you drew from scratch, there are a few things that could use some refinement. Adding antialiasing all over the place should help a lot.

If you post the frames of the thingie that goes up, I'll give it a shot tomorrow during the day.

#60  October 15, 2013, 11:49:57 pm
    • Argentina
If you post the frames of the thingie that goes up, I'll give it a shot tomorrow during the day.

Knock yourself out! :) (palette's at the bottom)

Now that I think about it, I might look at Iron Man's Proton Cannon for reference.
Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:54:19 pm by Graphicus
#61  October 16, 2013, 10:45:00 pm
  • SNK is life
I retouched the antialiasing here and there.