Rant: Necrobump (Read 1935 times)

Started by Meldo, February 13, 2011, 10:06:00 pm
Share this topic:
Rant: Necrobump
#1  February 13, 2011, 10:06:00 pm
  • the strongest motherfucker on the planet
    • UK
    • meldo.neocities.org
*sigh* Why don't people understand not to necrobump very old threads? I mean they're always annoying. If someone posted on a char/stage/lifebar/etc... thread that is about 4/5 years old, you would think; "Yes! Finally! That char/stage/lifebar/etc... is updated!" but nooooooo..... someone posted thier questions and opinions of this char/stage/lifebar/etc... about years ago. There should be a law against necrobumps. Don't you agree?
Re: Rant: Necrobump
#2  February 13, 2011, 10:15:26 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
Then report it... there is a warning(or was?) that will say something about the topic not being posted in in more than 30 days. That's enough for me. Otherwise authors would need to lock all of their topics during the update phase

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#3  February 13, 2011, 10:32:48 pm
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle
Even though I like this "necrobump" term, I don't think it's such a crime. Well ok, 5 years is a bit much, but if I want to post a question about an old topic, I don't see the problem.
An anthropomorphic existential nightmare.
#4  February 13, 2011, 10:41:51 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
then pm/email the author or something.

Edit: The term necro bump seems like something creepy people would do to dead people on valentine's day... -shrug-

-
-
Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:50:06 pm by Lost_Avenger
#5  February 13, 2011, 10:45:55 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
#6  February 13, 2011, 10:47:43 pm
    • Thailand
Even though I like this "necrobump" term, I don't think it's such a crime. Well ok, 5 years is a bit much, but if I want to post a question about an old topic, I don't see the problem.
You don't see the problem in having a forum where Mugen topics that have died out for more than 5 years become the discussion of the day? Necrobumping takes attention away from newer topics that are actually egible for progression, unlike 5 year old topics of which the author hasn't even posted in 4 years.

The problem is priority:

1. A 5-year-old topic on page 70 gets bumped to page 1.

2. People make comments and give feedback on said 5-year-old topic.

3. The topic starter of said 5-year-old topic has either stopped posting, doesn't care about his/her creations anymore, or has already updated the character making the topic obsolete.

Now, imagine 20 topics bumped from page 70 to page 1: Newer topics that haven't gotten feedback yet lose attention and authors don't improve and new things aren't recognized.

There is a huge problem with necrobumping old Mugen topics. The term "necrobumping" wouldn't exist in such a way if there wasn't any logic behind it.

#7  February 14, 2011, 12:06:03 am
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
The most mysterious IMO, is how people can miss the awesome red warning that appears if nobody posted in a month. I thought it was quite visible. Or is it just a product of my imagination?
#8  February 14, 2011, 12:06:59 am
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle
then pm/email the author or something.

Edit: The term necro bump seems like something creepy people would do to dead people on valentine's day... -shrug-

Specifically Valentines day? LoL.

You don't see the problem in having a forum where Mugen topics that have died out for more than 5 years become the discussion of the day? Necrobumping takes attention away from newer topics that are actually egible for progression, unlike 5 year old topics of which the author hasn't even posted in 4 years.

The problem is priority:

1. A 5-year-old topic on page 70 gets bumped to page 1.

2. People make comments and give feedback on said 5-year-old topic.

3. The topic starter of said 5-year-old topic has either stopped posting, doesn't care about his/her creations anymore, or has already updated the character making the topic obsolete.

Now, imagine 20 topics bumped from page 70 to page 1: Newer topics that haven't gotten feedback yet lose attention and authors don't improve and new things aren't recognized.

There is a huge problem with necrobumping old Mugen topics. The term "necrobumping" wouldn't exist in such a way if there wasn't any logic behind it.

Ah, I see that would be a pain. Though, I guess it depends on what you would warrent as a worthy reason for posting in an old thread. Unless you're saying it must not be done no matter what? I think I recently posted in a thread about open source Mugen projects, concerning Ikemen. I think it was here, or it may have been Mugen Infantry, anyway, it was over 30 days. I was given some valuable information by doing so.
#9  February 14, 2011, 12:07:32 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
The only thing that bothers me is when the whole report section is people reporting necrobumps with oh so witty and hilarious quips along side the report.
#10  February 14, 2011, 12:16:38 am
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle
The only thing that bothers me is when the whole report section is people reporting necrobumps with oh so witty and hilarious quips along side the report.

What report section? I don't understand.
#11  February 14, 2011, 12:18:07 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
There is a reports section on the forum.

-
-
#12  February 14, 2011, 12:21:02 am
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle
#13  February 14, 2011, 06:50:19 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Maybe we need more safeguards.

Warning, this topic has not been posted in for 30 days etc

User clicks post

new page

Warning. This is an OLD topic, are you sure you want to post? Click yes to continue
Next page
You're ABSOLUTELY SURE you want to post in this OLD topic and you're not the creator of it?
And go on like that about 8 times. It'll be a bit obnoxious if its your topic and you want to post, but it might have an effect on other people.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#14  February 14, 2011, 06:54:28 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
maybe allow and extra option where the move topic option is at? For allowing the original poster to bypass that?

-
-
#15  February 14, 2011, 09:36:48 am
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
maybe allow and extra option where the move topic option is at? For allowing the original poster to bypass that?

The problem about this method is if the original poster is the one trying to bump the thread.
#16  February 14, 2011, 09:39:51 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
A bit of programming should make it so the forum detects if the one who wants to post is the original poster, and make it bypass everything automatically.
#17  February 14, 2011, 09:41:02 am
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
A bit of programming should make it so the forum detects if the one who wants to post is the original poster, and make it bypass everything automatically.

I'm sure that's posible. And maybe with that, we won't need to report necros as much as we do.
#18  February 14, 2011, 12:38:03 pm
    • Thailand
#19  February 14, 2011, 07:23:42 pm
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle

GOH

#20  February 14, 2011, 07:35:39 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
It means to get more info, to inform yourself better, before being active/posting.