YesNoOk

Deltarune Chapter 1, the official Undertale spinoff (Read 7581 times)

Started by Ricepigeon, October 31, 2018, 07:07:04 pm
Share this topic:
Deltarune Chapter 1, the official Undertale spinoff
#1  October 31, 2018, 07:07:04 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:25:09 am by Ricepigeon
Re: Deltarune, the official sequel/spinoff to Undertale
#2  October 31, 2018, 07:43:21 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
From what I played of it, holy crap it feels like he has expanded on all of the mechanics. Just think of it as a party based system instead of just using one hero. The way it transitions into battle is nice as well, without spoiling anything, a lot of that charm is still present and the game still tries to convince you to play pacifist. Overall, this demo really expands on the things Toby did in the last game and brings in a new threat.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#3  October 31, 2018, 07:50:37 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Just think of it as a party based system instead of just using one hero.

this is hilarious as I lived through the time when videogames did that. From a single player "party" in the first dragon quest/warrior game to the party in DQ III.
#4  November 03, 2018, 08:22:25 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
I enjoyed Undertale and the characters in this seem very fun and have personality . . . unlike most RPGs.  Toby has certainly improved on the mechanics as well.  I was kinda hoping it'd tap into Undertale's game files for some reason, though.  I can't wait to see where this goes, honestly.
#5  November 04, 2018, 03:20:49 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I just finished the first chapter, and I really like where this is going.  It's been a while since I've played Undertale, so I'd forgotten how gosh-darn charming Toby's writing can be.  Ralsei and Susie are really fun characters.

It was also pretty clever they way it incorporated Undertale's pacifist mechanics into a party-based system.  Having party members who actively work against your preferred play style and having to work your strategy around mitigating their actions is a cool idea.

Really looking forward to the next chapter.
Re: Deltarune, the official Undertale spinoff
#6  November 04, 2018, 03:21:57 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
So Toby released an FAQ that answers some of the questions people may have:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqn3p9

tl;dr:
  • Deltarune is set in an alternate universe from Undertale, and is neither a prequel nor sequel
  • Deltarune has been in development since before development on Undertale started
  • Deltarune will be released periodically in episodic format (the "demo" released on Halloween is only Chapter 1)
  • Toby wants to assemble a dev team to help him create the rest of the game, as time and resources prevent him from doing so alone
  • Unlike Undertale, Deltarune will not have multiple endings, which the beginning of Chapter 1 should have already made obvious
Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:28:49 am by Ricepigeon
Re: Deltarune Chapter 1, the official Undertale spinoff
#7  November 05, 2018, 03:15:09 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
  • Unlike Undertale, Deltarune will not have multiple endings, which the beginning of Chapter 1 should have already made obvious

Well, yeah.  The game alludes to the "your choices don't matter" thing all the time.  Kind of odd to shift from "multiple choices" to "linear path", but I'm willing to see where this goes.
Re: Deltarune Chapter 1, the official Undertale spinoff
#8  November 05, 2018, 02:27:20 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com