YesNoOk

Should I release...? (Read 10534 times)

Started by Ridureyu, August 27, 2007, 08:18:29 pm
Share this topic:
Should I release...?
#1  August 27, 2007, 08:18:29 pm
  • Sucks to your Numerology!
Years ago, I had (I can't remember the crator, but the name is in the readme) the Baiken from the original Guilty Gear.  it was horribly inaccurate.  I tinkered with it, changing a couple of minor things, and most significantly giving her Baiken's GGX voice.  I never shared it because the base was someone ELSE'S creation, and it only existed for private use.

I don't even use it in my MUGEN now, but I'm sure it's in a storage file somewhere.  If I do find it, should I make it available for others to download, considering the new MUGEN rules?

Now you can never unsee it.
Re: Should I release...?
#2  August 27, 2007, 08:23:49 pm
If you don't want to release it, don't. If you want to release it, that's your choice.  ;D
#3  August 27, 2007, 08:29:09 pm
It really depends on whether I can find it or not.

What I mean is, is it even worth it?  is the idea too leechy-ish?  The character is still buggy and somewhat crappy, although kind of fun.

#4  August 27, 2007, 08:37:05 pm
It really depends on whether I can find it or not.

What I mean is, is it even worth it?  is the idea too leechy-ish?  The character is still buggy and somewhat crappy, although kind of fun.

If you think it will reduce your status to "leechy-ish" then you don't have to release it. However, if you release it for public testing, many people will report bugs in your character.

We will NOT however beg for your character.

But, the question "is it even worth it?" would be up to you mainly. I have no opinion on that.
#5  August 27, 2007, 08:49:31 pm
Of course, the most valid question is, "Can I find it on my spare hard drive?" (I'll try to serch later tonight)

I did a voice edit (and a few velocities) on a pre-existing buggy character that cannot be found anymore.  If I find it, I'll try to see if there's hosting space. 

#6  August 27, 2007, 09:03:23 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the only gg1 baiken i remember is angel myst's, i think she had no real problem especially now that she is gone.
#7  August 27, 2007, 09:07:49 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Starting with a patch consisting only on modified files and stating who made th original may be a decent compromise if you're not sure - unless, of course, they all got tweaked one way or another...
#8  August 27, 2007, 09:31:26 pm
Angel Myst!  That's who it was!  I remembered it being Angel-somethingoranother.

I don't have time to check until later tonight, but here's the deal - this was years ago (two computers ago).  If it's on my spare hard drive, then I've got it.  If it isn't, it mIGHT be on one of many oooold backup CDs which I may or may not have.  I don't remember quite which files I changed, so I'll probably post the entire thing with a second readme file stating what changes I remember.

Honestly, I just wanted to know if the concept is a good idea - it's somewhat crappy, but would letting other people see it be construed as "theft?"