YesNoOk

Feedback to Warnings/Decisions (Read 854141 times)

Started by Iced, February 24, 2012, 09:43:26 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Feedback to Warnings/Decisions
#721  December 01, 2012, 08:13:13 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
good points, I guess it's similar to the gbk case, where the people (including staff ) that he managed to piss off all wanted him bnned, while the people uninvolved did not even want him banned.
#722  December 01, 2012, 08:40:06 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Lol, I miss that guy
#723  December 01, 2012, 08:59:25 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
So he made stupid posts and everyone responded to them. His post didn't ruin the thread. It was just a load of shit that happens any time someone people think is stupid posts and they feel this need to correct them and prove how dumb they are. Every single time.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#724  December 01, 2012, 01:00:30 pm
    • Thailand
plus if someone's being a complete asshole, put them on ignore. it's just words, right. it's not anything illegal. why ban anyone for that.
I think only MissBhaven believes that. And I don't even think she believes that she believes that.

he was being moderated on grounds of dishonesty
the rules said:
Do not lie, be honest
a rule he disregarded several times. you might as well remove that line from the rules. while i can easily put him on ignore (just like i could with any offensive user), i don't believe the rest of the userbase should be subject to his constant horseshit.
Thanks for reminding me of that rule. It's been so long since someone had to be be banned purely for lying that I forgot that part existed.
#725  December 01, 2012, 01:14:28 pm
As long as he posts, someone will respond. You will never find a time where everyone suddenly gets enlightened and actually ignores him. As long as he posts, there will be a clash, one way or another. One day with this person, an other day with that person. And he's causing those clashes.
"Just ignore him" is a shit response. If he's doing something bad, he should know the consequences. If he's doing it repeatedly, on purpose and everything, it's his fault. Not the fault of those who respond. Well, a bit, but from a broader point of view, it's not.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:18:18 pm by DKDC

Mog

#726  December 01, 2012, 01:18:21 pm

plus if someone's being a complete asshole, put them on ignore. it's just words, right. it's not anything illegal. why ban anyone for that.
I think only MissBhaven believes that. And I don't even think she believes that she believes that.

he was being moderated on grounds of dishonesty
the rules said:
Do not lie, be honest
a rule he disregarded several times. you might as well remove that line from the rules. while i can easily put him on ignore (just like i could with any offensive user), i don't believe the rest of the userbase should be subject to his constant horseshit.
Thanks for reminding me of that rule. It's been so long since someone had to be be banned purely for lying that I forgot that part existed.

Says the guy who set up a fake MI a few years back and the other guy who pretended to be female.  Except that was all fun and games, right?  It was different when Titiln and Rajaa did it.  It occurred to me about 4 am that Navana is acting like one of the gaggle of 14 year old girls I see at the mall. Obnoxious, attention seeking, DRAMA, everything that most mature people don't like to be around, but ignore or tolerate.

I dont think any of you want to start forcing the "be honest" rule and it's not fair for you to cherry pick who has to follow which rules ALL of the time.  If we start banning people because we can't stand their obnoxious posting, I have a growing list I'd like to submit.  I know I can't isolate myself from crude, intolerant, loudmouthed, nasty, hateful people (here or out there in the real world) so I chose to ignore them.

:bow:
#727  December 01, 2012, 01:20:00 pm
I know I can't isolate myself from crude, intolerant, loudmouthed, nasty, hateful people (here or out there in the real world) so I chose to ignore them.
Good for you, except you're the government who is supposed to protect those who can't be as clever as you.
Why are you a gmod, anyway ? What does it mean to you, and what actions do you take for it ? You only talk about things not to do.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#728  December 01, 2012, 01:33:48 pm
    • Thailand
As long as he posts, someone will respond. You will never find a time where everyone suddenly gets enlightened and actually ignores him.
We already know that and we have expressed multiple times that that's just wishful thinking. It is, however, possible to create a culture in which attention whores are simply ignored once they're discovered to be, in fact, attention whores. It doesn't hurt to implant the idea into people's heads.

Says the guy who set up a fake MI a few years back and the other guy who pretended to be female.  Except that was all fun and games, right?  It was different when Titiln and Rajaa did it.  It occurred to me about 4 am that Navana is acting like one of the gaggle of 14 year old girls I see at the mall. Obnoxious, attention seeking, DRAMA, everything that most mature people don't like to be around, but ignore or tolerate.
I had no contribution to the creating of that fake MI board and the difference between now and then is that everyone knew it was fake and nobody lied about who created it.

I dont think any of you want to start forcing the "be honest" rule and it's not fair for you to cherry pick who has to follow which rules ALL of the time.  If we start banning people because we can't stand their obnoxious posting, I have a growing list I'd like to submit.  I know I can't isolate myself from crude, intolerant, loudmouthed, nasty, hateful people (here or out there in the real world) so I chose to ignore them.

That rule was there when we became moderators, and it has remained there ever since. And enforcing rules for certain people who continuously break certain rules is exactly why certain rules exist, I don't see your point. Plus, even if you do personally think that certain people are being obnoxious, not every obnoxious person ruins threads, etc, so the rules don't necessarily need to be enforced on them. Discretion is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Just because one person needs to be banned for breaking a certain rule, doesn't everybody needs to be banned. Depends on intention, history, etc.

This goes back to: Do basic social skills need to be in the rules?
Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:37:23 pm by Rajaa

Mog

#729  December 01, 2012, 02:23:05 pm
Why are you a gmod, anyway ? What does it mean to you, and what actions do you take for it ?

I was asked to help and I agreed.  I've never made it a secret that I'm a terrible moderator and that I wont change my stance that banning should be avoided (except for something illegal), moderation should be behind the scenes and hands off for the most part and that most people are reasonable and can work out differences.

I had no contribution to the creating of that fake MI board and the difference between now and then is that everyone knew it was fake.

Not exactly...  Kratos (for one) was deceived into thinking it was real.  Using the exact same skin, boards, etc is an attempt to trick people, not announcing it's fake.  I thought it was a clever prank myself.

That rule was there when we became moderators, and it has remained there ever since. And enforcing rules for certain people who continuously break certain rules is exactly why certain rules exist, I don't see your point. Plus, even if you do personally think that certain people are being obnoxious, not every obnoxious person ruins threads, etc, so the rules don't necessarily need to be enforced on them. Discretion is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Just because one person needs to be banned for breaking a certain rule, doesn't everybody needs to be banned. Depends on intention, history, etc.

This goes back to: Do basic social skills need to be in the rules?

I think we agree that Navana doesnt ruin every thread he posts in by being obnoxious.  And I dont believe any of us knows a persons intention 100% of the time.

What kind of basic social skills?  Because you are getting into an area of discrimination there.

hjk

#730  December 01, 2012, 02:25:16 pm
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
As long as he posts, someone will respond. You will never find a time where everyone suddenly gets enlightened and actually ignores him. As long as he posts, there will be a clash, one way or another. One day with this person, an other day with that person. And he's causing those clashes.
"Just ignore him" is a shit response. If he's doing something bad, he should know the consequences. If he's doing it repeatedly, on purpose and everything, it's his fault. Not the fault of those who respond. Well, a bit, but from a broader point of view, it's not.
'I can't grow up and ignore him,' is a shit response. No matter how many people feel compelled to reply, they're just being stupid and it's their own faults.

LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
#731  December 01, 2012, 02:51:35 pm
I just said that, you're quoting me saying that. I'm also saying it's their fault on the scale of one happening, but overall, it's not. If one person is constantly making it so people react this way, and on a regular basis, he's the cause of it. It's a question of judging the gun or the shooter.
#732  December 01, 2012, 03:02:18 pm
    • Thailand
I had no contribution to the creating of that fake MI board and the difference between now and then is that everyone knew it was fake.

Not exactly...  Kratos (for one) was deceived into thinking it was real.  Using the exact same skin, boards, etc is an attempt to trick people, not announcing it's fake.  I thought it was a clever prank myself.
Wasn't the forum made on April Fools' day?

And I dont believe any of us knows a persons intention 100% of the time.
Let's not ban because we don't know people's intentions 100% of the time. I take it that you're not a fan of criminal trials and juries?

What kind of basic social skills?  Because you are getting into an area of discrimination there.

What other kind of basic social skills? Don't be Navana; don't be named John Bilski; don't be gay; don't exist.

Those are basic social skills. Keep up.

hjk

#733  December 01, 2012, 03:11:54 pm
    • Afghanistan
Not to draw this out, but I bolded the parts of your post that I'm reacting to. I'm saying that the reactor holds the most blame, not Navana.

But I see what you're saying. I thought you were targeting him, which you weren't, so I'll withdraw.

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)

#734  December 01, 2012, 03:15:18 pm
I'm saying that the reactor holds the most blame, not Navana.

I thought you were targeting him, which you weren't
In the part you bold, when I say "Not the fault of those who respond. Well, a bit, but from a broader point of view, it's not" by opposition it means the one reacting are responsible for it only on a small scale. On a bigger scale, when it happens repeatedly, the ones reacting are not the cause, they're the effect. The cause is still Navana. I am targeting him. When you say the one responsible are the ones who react, you're looking at a too small scale, you're looking at one particular event and judging the whole situation for it.
Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:18:31 pm by DKDC

Mog

#735  December 01, 2012, 03:15:55 pm
Wasn't the forum made on April Fools' day?

No, that would have been too obvious, even for Kratos.

And I dont believe any of us knows a persons intention 100% of the time.
Let's not ban because we don't know people's intentions 100% of the time. I take it that you're not a fan of criminal trials and juries?

Pay attention cupcake, I already said I support banning someone who's done something illegal.

What other kind of basic social skills? Don't be Navana; don't be named John Bilski; don't be gay; don't exist.

Those are basic social skills. Keep up.

This comment is totally uncalled for in this thread.

I'm sure I'm splitting hairs, but saying someone has to have social skills to post here is a bit different than saying someone most post here in a socially acceptable way. 

:bow:   <-  yes I use a smilie at the end of my posts to irritate people,  should I be banned for it?
#736  December 01, 2012, 03:17:37 pm
Pay attention cupcake, I already said I support banning someone who's done something illegal.
But what if it wasn't his intention ?? Should we be banning him if he's only a victim ?? We can't be 100% sure !

hjk

#737  December 01, 2012, 03:21:59 pm
    • Afghanistan
In the part you bold, when I say "Not the fault of those who respond. Well, a bit, but from a broader point of view, it's not" by opposition it means the one reacting are responsible for it only on a small scale. On a bigger scale, when it happens repeatedly, the ones reacting are not the cause, they're the effect. The cause is still Navana. I am targeting him. When you say the one responsible are the ones who react, you're looking at a too small scale, you're looking at one particular event and judging the whole situation for it.
That's how I interpreted it, but we'll just agree to disagree.

#738  December 01, 2012, 03:48:04 pm
fake mugen infantry was made on or around april fools, was not associated to a mystery bullshit name and was quickly revealed to be a joke (even though it was fairly obvious and most people didn't fall for it). from the ridiculous angle (i bought it from aztec) to the date (april fools or very near it) to the forum itself having joke descriptions for some of the boards it should've been obvious that it was a joke and i was surprised anyone at all fell for it. none of that applies to navana who attempted to cash in for the lack of a forum to make his own and get some activity. nice try though

So he made stupid posts and everyone responded to them. His post didn't ruin the thread. It was just a load of shit that happens any time someone people think is stupid posts and they feel this need to correct them and prove how dumb they are. Every single time.
unban peterfoster. i didn't mind his posts. i hella liked his posts. anyone that doesn't like him can just put him on ignore. it's not his fault that people respond to the stupid posts he makes. this goes for everybody that got banned for just being a shitty poster.

Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:56:48 pm by Titiln
#739  December 01, 2012, 04:21:26 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Given the question that he was being asked, he wasn't being moderated, he was being picked on.
Seriously? A simple question is picking on him?

good points, I guess it's similar to the gbk case, where the people (including staff ) that he managed to piss off all wanted him bnned, while the people uninvolved did not even want him banned.
Nobody is pissed off by Navana. And nobody was pissed off by GBK.

Why are you a gmod, anyway ? What does it mean to you, and what actions do you take for it ? You only talk about things not to do.
It's good to have a dissenting voice in things.
#740  December 01, 2012, 04:25:53 pm
    • Thailand
My point was that people don't get convicted on 100% certainty. Of course, this isn't a criminal trial, but this example is not a wild comparison considering it points out that no one can be 100% sure of something unless they actually witnessed it with their own senses. And even senses aren't  100% accurate. That's why relying on past events and behaviors to make a decision on someone is useful, because it helps us determine what the intent of someone might be. Navana, in this case, has various examples of lying and conniving.

This comment is totally uncalled for in this thread.
I guess I need to work on my social skills.

I'm sure I'm splitting hairs, but saying someone has to have social skills to post here is a bit different than saying someone most post here in a socially acceptable way. 
Nobody said someone should be banned for not having social skills, I just said that the sub discussion that we were having comes down to us having basic social interactions in the rules so we don't have to hear you complain about banning someone for something that's not in the rules. I thought that was clear, apparently it wasn't, so I hope you understand now.