YesNoOk

Books (Read 483029 times)

Started by Sepp, September 06, 2004, 07:17:29 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Books
#81  September 22, 2005, 02:06:16 am
  • The Original.......
Well I was hoping the HS.T could tell me what that quote ment but oh well. Anyway im really enjoing "Kingdom of Fear" thanks for recomending it to me HS.T (he lives in Kentucky, I live close to there, maby I can get his Autograph).
You Fool!
He was born in Kentucky & lived there as a child afterwards he moved to Aspen..........Also you can't get his Autograph because he's dead :skull:

As for the quote...............beats me :P
#82  September 22, 2005, 02:11:18 am
  • Back from the Realm of Darkness
    • USA
Oh I was'nt aware, sorry...

Thanks Iced, your most likey right, it sure makes sence :yes:
#83  September 26, 2005, 04:22:12 am
  • Death From Above
I'm not that big of a reader when  it comes to books. but I like reading  magazines. I have 3 that I subscription to Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, PC Gamer and National Airsoft Magazine.
Basicy my three hobbies metal music, pc games and airsoft.
#84  September 26, 2005, 05:00:32 am
  • Back from the Realm of Darkness
    • USA
Same goes for me, I dont read alot of "books" manly manga, like Shonen Jump (I have a subscription to that myself).

Nice, Post 400
#85  September 26, 2005, 07:12:41 am
  • I'm a llama!
I tend to read more of the fantasy Genre than is actually healthy for me. I also noticed however a lot of the writers dont flesh their characters out properly, so that when you find one you tend to write it down...  One series I enjoyed Immensley (one of  those that you read repeatedly) was the Belgariad by David Eddings
It's a series of about six books (i think) that you can get in two volumes now-a-days
As well as the mallorean By David eddings...
I also enjoyed pretty much anything from Orson Scott Card. Dont just stop at Enders Game. His following Books only improve :)

A couple of my more recent reads were
Raymond E. Feists Riftwar Saga, Serpent Saga, etc.
Which aren't too bad.

I also enjoyed "The Great Book of Amber" which i heard of while searching for new books to read on amazon. The writer tends to end his books abruptly so i reccomend you get "The great Book" as supposedly they come as 10 different ones.

All of these available at your local library :)
#86  September 26, 2005, 03:09:35 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
I intend to read some Orson Scott Card . . . sooner or later.

I also noticed however a lot of the writers dont flesh their characters out properly

Yea, not to mention the rest. Though you mention Eddings, and at least from what I've heard and read about him, much like Robert Jordan's supposedly awful Wheel of Time series, pretty much all he does is retell and utilize the archetypes of stuff like The Lord of the Rings over and over and over again, or something? And I almost had enough of The Lord of the Rings-ish stories before I ever actually read The Lord of the Rings itself, all these darn copycats. So I'm staying the heck away from David Eddings. Would probably bore me.

"You also once told me that you thought George R.R. Martin was the only writer now who may save the epic fantasy series. Can you tell me a bit more? What do you see in Martin’s work that you don’t see in…oh, David Eddings?"

Hmm, you might find some these interesting:

The Acts of Caine by Matthew Woodring Stover:
  • In the Sorrows
  • Act of Violence: Heroes Die
  • Act of War: Blade of Tyshalle
  • Act of Atonement: Caine Black Knife
  • Act of Remembrance: Dead Man's Heart / His Father's Fist ?

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe:
  • The Shadow of the Torturer
  • The Claw of the Conciliator
  • The Sword of the Lictor
  • The Citadel of the Autarch

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin:
  • A Game of Thrones
  • A Clash of Kings
  • A Storm of Swords
  • A Feast for Crows
  • A Dance with Dragons

Edit: I just noticed A Feast for Crows is coming out soon. Wheeee~!
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:18:59 pm by Sepp
#87  September 26, 2005, 07:55:42 pm
  • I'm a llama!
I never noticed any archtypes of tokien's stuff in there.. Try reading at least 1 (the first ones pretty short) before you write everything off simply because one man didnt like the book ....

As for Mathew Woodring Stover... Sounds interesting... i may be visiting the library sooner than later ;)
Resurrection
#88  February 08, 2008, 04:02:28 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
I intend to read some Orson Scott Card . . . sooner or later.

Aaand I did. Read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead last year. Perhaps I'm too old... I really don't like the style. I couldn't stand the author after only reading his uninteresting introduction for Ender's Game. I disliked him almost instantly. o_O"

And in Speaker for the Dead, I really stumbled when the main character was once referred to by his true identity before he makes it known... meh. I didn't buy any of his characters or the many great things they do off-stage. They don't convince me, they're not real to me. I had intended to read more of the Ender Wiggins Saga but couldn't go on after Speaker for the Dead. Discarding Card until I get my hands on some of the comics he worked on...

I didn't read A Feast for Crows because everybody seemed to dislike it and slammed it for being only half of a book. No Tyrion either! I might pick it up together with A Dance with Dragons if that one get better reviews. It should. Dragons, dude.

Others worth noting since last post:

• Gilgamesh (c. 2000 BCE), Mitchell's version---hum. 'kay. Nice ending. **
  • Bhagavad Gita (c. 500 BCE), Mitchell's version---in parts outstanding like the Tao Te Ching but longer and more repetitive and overall worse. **
  • The Prince (1531), Bull's translation---some great passages. ***
  • Paradise, John Milton:
    • Paradise Lost (1667)---took three or four starts before I finally could finish it. Some sections are fantastic and pull you in, others are a bit too alien to enjoy. ***
    • Paradise Regained (1671)---a lot easier to read. Less mythology, more arguments. The Savior's rebukes to Satan's temptations are neat to read, he has great comebacks for everything. ***
  • Last and First Men (1930)---a bit too "historical" throughout but "The Cult of Youth" chapter rules. **
  • Brave New World (1932)---one less classic on to-read list. ***
  • Dark Ladies, Fritz Leiber:
    • Conjure Wife (1943)---"It occurred to him that it was almost frighteningly easy to lie convincingly to someone you loved." Aaaand it's got a dragon. ***
    • Our Lady of Darkness (1977)---The title owns. I'm not sure.... I wasn't much interested otherwise. I don't seem to care for horror stories? **
  • Fahrenheit 451 (1953)---check. ***
  • The Elements of Style (1959)---concisely cool. ****
  • A Clockwork Orange (1962)---wickedly funny, O My Brothers. Remember little Alex that was. ***
  • Inquiries, Robert M. Pirsig:
    • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (1974)---whoa. ****
    • Lila: An Inquiry into Morals (1991)---Pulizer Price finialist. ****
  • Forever, Joe Haldeman:
    • The Forever War (1974)---good. ***
    • Forever Peace (1997)---great. ****
    • Forever Free (1999)---scary. That was strange. Our Lady of Darkness didn't scare me. The beginng parts of the last section of this book did. Towards the end it was all okay again. o_O ****
  • The Wreck of The River of Stars (2003)---awesome. ****
  • The Prince of Nothing, R. Scott Bakker:
    • The Darkness that Comes Before (2003)---more plz *****
    • The Warrior-Prophet (2004)---thx! *****
    • The Thousandfold Thought (2006)---wheeee~ *****
  • Star Wars on Trial: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Debate the Most Popular Science Fiction Films of All Time (2006)---yawn! *
  • Playing to Win: Becoming the Champion (2006)---The Art of War, again. Why not? Sirlin's not a full-blooded writer but it works. **
  • Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force (2007)---the text is impressively worthless, but the quality of the drawings helps. A bit. I still can't Force Pull objects. *

Yes I really like The Prince of Nothing. =D Eagerly awaiting The Aspect-Emperor.

About the horror story dislike, I suspect I'm not so much scared of things or creatures. While a killer or monster can be scary, they are still somehow. . . personal and constrained. So what if they kill the entire village? But what chills me is The Nothing from The Neverending Story, the setup of I Am Legend (novel)/28 Days Later and the events towards the end of Forever Free. Mhhhh.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#89  February 08, 2008, 04:35:44 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Another pre-apocalyptic thread!

More books I can reccomend
Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman!
The Lexus and the Olive Tree
#90  February 08, 2008, 05:20:09 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
To all those who like fantasy, read ROBIN HOBB books !!!!

Her three main series are The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy, all happening in a chronological way.

These series are just fantastic. To know a little more, just go here.

And well, I very much enjoyed Orson Scott Card's books. I bought all of them concerning Ender and Bean (8 books all in all), and I really think they're good, even though the style is quite simple.
#91  February 08, 2008, 05:23:40 pm
  • I am a ghost.
    • USA
    • www.bmarquis.com
I recommend the Sword of Truth series of books by Terry Goodkind.

I also recommend Farenheit 451 by Bradbury
and The Giver. I forgot who wrote this one.
Accusare nemo se debet nisi coram Veridis
DYNOMITE
#92  February 08, 2008, 07:02:29 pm
  • corner push pusher
I'm a person who loves to read. Short list of what I got/recommend you read
==========================================================
- Parasite Eve (the book that spawned the movie and the game. great read). I forgot the author's name.
- Stephen Colbert's "I am America"
- Dr. Henry Louis Gates' "Come On People"
- Brian Lanker's "I Dream A World (Portraits of Black Women Who Changed America")
- Ebony America: "Black America Vol 1, 2, 3"
- Rodney Dangerfield "No Respect"
- Blanche Knott "Truly Tasteless Jokes 1 & 2"
- A Lesson Before Dying
- Martin Mull's "The History Of White People In America"
- The Great Gatsby
- The Call Of The Wild
- The Giver (favorite book)
- Black Bondage
- David W. Phillipson's "African Archaeology"
- Dick Gregory's "Nigger"

edit: Norman Mailer's "Why Are We At Vietnam"
Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:06:24 pm by #Shaun
#93  February 08, 2008, 07:33:18 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
#94  February 08, 2008, 07:39:07 pm
  • corner push pusher
 :P
#95  February 08, 2008, 08:27:00 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net

XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#96  February 08, 2008, 08:37:57 pm
  • corner push pusher
- Parasite Eve (the book that spawned the movie and the game. great read). I forgot the author's name.

Hideaki Sena.

Yeah that's right. I wonder why the video game never went adpated the same theme as the story and movie.

Btw, the novel was also adapted into a manga version by Shikakuno (http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4048529064/girlshorrorco-22)

...didn't know that. Thanks!
#97  February 08, 2008, 10:14:06 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net

The game was somewhat an "unofficial" sequel to the novel because Maeda, one of the main characters, mentions the incidents that happened on the novel
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#98  February 08, 2008, 10:36:13 pm
-Urobuchi Gen & Nasu Kinoko's Fate/Zero. Fucking epic. Yeah, not accessible to non-Japanese speaker, but still fucking epic.
-James Clavell's Shōgun. Very very awesome. Uterly hated Gaijin though, and I don't really feel like starting the other books in the same Whirlwind series.
-Yoshikawa Eiji's Musashi. Legendary and cool.
-Of mice and men is a real classic obviously, but I'm still listing it just because was the first book that I actually liked to read back in middle school when I didn't like to read.
And I forgot to pick up "I am legend" at the English bookstore >_< (they didn't have it back when it was mentionned in the movie topic) shall do tomorrow. And haha, Sepp listed it back in 2005 in this topic. There were a couple more titles I wanted to pick up as well but I can't remember which D:
edit - caught I am legend, Tao Te Ching and Gorin no shou (book of five rings) at the English bookstore.

Well, those are the biggest titles out of those I've read so far. Then there are the Harry Potter series (hmmm), Dan Brown's Angels & Demons - Da Vinci Code - Digital Fortress (I don't feel like starting Deception Point), and more random shit.
edit - oh yeah. The Resident Evil novels are fairly well done too, and true to the game, always funny to notice those stuff. Like "there was an old typewriter on the desk".
||
V
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:28:41 pm by Baiken
#99  February 08, 2008, 10:44:59 pm
  • FISSION MAILED
    • mugenguild.com/snake/
The Giver by Lois Lowry. read in 8th grade and loved it

also Doom Stone by Paul Zindel, and the Resident evil books by S.D. Perry

4/27/09 - Nameless V1 Released
*********Current Projects on Temp. Hold*********

BulletSaint

#100  February 08, 2008, 10:56:11 pm
 World War Z by Max Brooks is an amazing book if you're into an interesting look at a zombie apocalypse.