YesNoOk

The King of Fighters Excel (Read 26990 times)

Started by Niitris, December 26, 2011, 11:12:10 am
Share this topic:
Re: The King of Fighters Excel (Full Game Project)
#21  January 18, 2013, 07:14:26 pm
Thanks for the support; I'll definitely request for help when needed.

Gameplay update:
High, Mid and Low attacks are in The King of Fighters Excel (like in any 2D fighter). Some of the framework from 3D fighters will be in the gameplay.

High Attacks:
High Attacks take more damage than Mid Attacks but can be ducked crouching.
All air moves are High Attacks.
Air moves can hit a crouching opponent.

Mid Attacks:
Mid Attacks take less damage than High Attacks but cannot be dodged by crouching.
All Mid Attacks can be guarded either standing or crouching (except overheads).

Low Attacks:
Low Attacks can be blocked standing (except sweeps and a handful of other moves).
All Low Attacks must be blocked crouching if part of a target combo.
#22  January 20, 2013, 03:11:12 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
This project has life once more!
#23  January 20, 2013, 03:13:53 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
As if you haven't already said that in another comment.

Nice to see you'll be using some of the more recent framework, Niitris. The animation looks nice and fluid from what I can see.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#24  March 03, 2013, 05:04:33 pm
I wish more of the animations were like that, some of them are just lacking in frames (everyone who appeared before '99 has "those moments"). I'm actually a half-decent spriter now, so I'll try to improve some of the animations myself.

I've finally had time to sit with this project again after other priorities taking over. First off, I'm hoping to get a beta release done sometime next month. Also, I've started on color separation. It's not gonna be anything special though (all I did with this was have Mai's hair separate from her skin and same for Kim along with making his belt separate from his gi trim).
Re: The King of Fighters Excel
#25  March 03, 2013, 07:05:03 pm
    • USA
I don't see the difference. Care to explain?
#26  March 04, 2013, 04:08:52 am
  • ANC
#27  April 20, 2013, 12:27:46 am
I don't see the difference. Care to explain?

You'll see it.

I feel like I'm not even close to finished. Anyway, finally making significant progress on color separation. characters now have around 24 colors instead of 16. Finished all sprites that use states 0-159 and even started on attacks (did this all in a week's time).

Next week, basic attacks (hoorah).
#28  April 26, 2013, 07:30:06 pm
Weekly update

All light basics and get hits have been color separated (time to start on the heavy stuff and special moves). I plan to release beta of the characters sometime next month. However, should I release them all at once or go one at a time?

Also, I have a (old and unfinished) Excel-styled Athena for anyone who wants to check that out (I'm not doing any updates though)

http://mugenguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=142084.0
#29  April 26, 2013, 08:14:57 pm
    • USA
Don't do anything that may exhaust you sooner than later.
#30  May 01, 2013, 11:25:33 pm
Well that was decided quickly. Releases will be done one by one.

Ryo will be first... will be finished in a few days.
Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:29:00 pm by Niitris
#31  December 23, 2013, 01:29:43 pm
I really hate auto-merge.

Thanks to not having a Desktop PC yet, I can't continue my 3D & EF-12 ambitions. But I've been re-inspired to work on this.

I'm doing a re-design of the gameplay. At first, this was supposed to be some 02/XIII hybrid... looking back, I don't like what I made so it's being changed up.

Anyway, changes to the gameplay:
  • Drive Cancels, Tactical Recovery/Delayed Wake-up, and Target Combos are being removed.
  • Vs-style Chain Combos are in place instead (LP,LK,HP,HK).
  • To make poking stronger, most normals stagger on a counter hit.
  • Max power stocks are now at 2 instead of 5.
  • SDMs and XDMs require the same amount of gauge (XDMs are essentially Max-only moves).

New Mechanics:

Excel Attack (costs 1 stock):
Allows for chain combos to be cancelled into a dash attack with quick recovery. Allows player to continue a combo (inspired from Advanced Attacks from The Rumble Fish).

Throw Cancel (costs 1 stock):
Cancels a command throw and allows for a follow up attack.

Excel Cancel (costs 1 stock):
Shortens the recovery time of certain special moves (inspired from Roman Cancels from Guilty Gear).

Stagger Cancel (costs 1 stock):
Allows player to get out of a stagger state. Player will flash purple.

Excel Provocation (costs 1 stock):
A special taunt (QCF+Start) that activates a risk/reward element. When performed, the player will flash green and the screen will darken. Whoever lands the first hit after that will get their attack enhanced. This taunt cannot be canceled.
- If the player hits their opponent, the attack takes extra damage and/or staggers the opponent.

Of course it's all subject to change. I hope I can show something in a few days... I still plan to release the characters outside of the full game.
#32  December 24, 2013, 02:51:57 am
    • USA
I, for one, am glad to see this is being revived.
#33  December 24, 2013, 02:54:33 am
  • tired
I prefer the old system, honestly. This new one seems very not KOF.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#34  December 24, 2013, 03:58:30 am
I figured that because I was thinking the same thing. I was toying with Maximum Impact RA lately and wanted to use a few things from that. Vs-style chains doesn't exactly do it, but I'm still trying to find something better (and I can't really test the normal combos since my CPU is crap and can't handle anything that is post-Dreamcast/PS2).

I actually want to add that parry system too, but that would require adding sprites (and doesn't seem necessary anyway because Just Defense is there). Idk, just thinking outside the box.

I could make something closer to '98 but I'm too far in design to go backwards now. :(

I will say I'll have a beta character ready in a couple days so I can gauge people's thoughts and make any changes.
#35  December 24, 2013, 04:05:05 am
  • tired
Fair enough. I still think KOF's combo system would work far better than Vs. style chaining.