YesNoOk

Best Touhou Project characters for weabs like me (Read 4156 times)

Started by lui, March 02, 2016, 12:13:37 pm
Share this topic:

lui

Best Touhou Project characters for weabs like me
#1  March 02, 2016, 12:13:37 pm
    • USA
So uh, I just got into Touhou Project characters like, 2 days ago, I saw how crazy Ricepigeon's and Daniel-insert number of nines here-'s shit can be so I tried some of their stuff out, I gotta stay some of these characters are the most creative and well-coded things I've seen so far so I feel bad for never trying them out until now, I'm having trouble finding more though since there are ALOT of edits and I don't know if they're MUGEN 2007 crappy so can someone be a pal and point out which ones are decent to me? Thanks!
Re: Best Touhou Project characters for weabs like me
#2  March 02, 2016, 01:14:18 pm
  • Lurker
    • Netherlands
Well that's a pretty massive and mixed bag you're looking at.
Biyo made some really good characters with what I assume original sprites.
Other than that I know Minoo made some characters and Pre-to has a few OC and regular characters which seem good.
#3  March 02, 2016, 01:42:15 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
If you can find the up to date versions, Karakuyakumi's characters are good recommendations. HAL (author of some great Last Blade conversions) also made a Tewi in the style of the LB games. Check that one out too.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#4  March 02, 2016, 02:21:03 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
#5  March 02, 2016, 05:35:49 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Zerosennin made a few that may be worth looking at (I remember testing his Komachi out a while back).

There's also Kohaku's stuff, but aside from being out of date, his Touhou characters have some issues with them (the parry system in particular last time I checked), and a few don't really feel like the character in general (Sakuya and Utsuho, mainly)

If you don't mind source accuracy's bullet systems, Nachel's and Kurogane's may be worth looking at for IaMP, while Barai and Gu are alright for SWR/Soku style. I would have recommended Mikage's as well if it wasn't for the wonky autoclsns that he used that pretty much break his characters.
Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:44:00 pm by Ricepigeon

lui

#6  March 03, 2016, 03:40:29 am
    • USA
well, i dont really care for source accuracy, i want them to be simply fun and solid
#7  March 03, 2016, 05:13:18 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I would strongly suggest you pay attention to source accuracy in the Touhou characters. This is because the actual source touhou fighters are very projectile dependant which is fine between the characters themselves but they have a very clear obvious advantage against traditional fighters due to the sheer amount of projectiles they can fire.

Rice and Daniel's Touhou characters just happen to be use a custom system that is more like a traditional fighter than the source games.
#8  March 03, 2016, 05:57:59 am
    • USA
Suwako Moriya by Veanko and Retro Suika by RoySquadRocks.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#9  March 03, 2016, 09:34:22 am
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
Thank you for the praise Lui! ;)

Anyway I can recommend Koakuma by SoM if you're into regular Touhou fighters (the ones with a lot of projectiles), Sakuya by Aotsuki isn't so bad either.
Yeaaaah im shootign ducks wiht the paino
#10  March 03, 2016, 09:44:50 am
  • Raging Fist
Ive been a great fan with touhou project, both in danmaku and fighting games. To me my personal favorite character to play with is Kazami Yuuka, esp Ricepidgeon's version. While she lacks (Holds back?) on speed she gains a lot in patience and a WHOLE lotta power! Plus, she like flowers and respects nature which I can applaud and adore (Yes I am a guy that likes FLOWERS. Deal with it :X ).
Nevertheless, Despite some interesting custom versions I do have a question in mind: which characters are the best using the danmaku Card system, say Soku style combat? In my external I've did my own little snooping around MFFA's collection on it and I found a few good chars but I was wondering which ones are worth while playing that has that card system?
#11  March 03, 2016, 10:07:36 am
  • ̢̻̮̫̬̹̞̼̲̪̜̭͇̲͒ͪ̌ͬ̒̄̔̐͘͟ͅ ̢̋ͬ̓͗̏̇̌̑͐ͤ͗̔̊̕͏̴̣͎̟͈̬͚
    • Monaco
megamari = mvc megaman gameplay esque +japanese ash ketchum / bakura voice. a lot hypers + balanced for any roster
http://signavatar.com/32255_s.gif

please visit my request thread. here
bad grammar is art
Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:14:38 am by yaminogun
#12  March 03, 2016, 01:42:27 pm
  • I´m a big fan of...THIS HAND?!
    • Spain
I prefer Ricepigeon and Kohaku´s touhou creations, because the majority of Touhou characters uses bullet hell pattern(Like kurogane) and I never liked these stupid things. :P