YesNoOk

Caddie general art thread (Read 9185 times)

Started by Cobra Caddie, June 03, 2011, 01:53:36 am
Caddie general art thread
#1  June 03, 2011, 01:53:36 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
These are for a possible new game I would be co-working on with Bia, not for Mugen but for a different engine. Very preliminary as of now, but I did these sprites all from scratch. The game would be a fighting game, but with a Z-Axis style ring. The characters are supposed to be generic representations of their style.

From left to right: Kung Fu, Karate, Boxing, Pro Wrestling, Olympic Wrestling, and Muay Thai. There are two more spots, one of them is for sure Judo and the last one is up for debate.

I saved the progression images to document the process I did for these for all of them except two(Kung Fu and Boxer, didn't think to save it yet). I drew a basic skeleton style base to draw over, and then went from there.

Karate:

I admittedly designed him to look like a member of Cobra Kai. Kind of a mix between Kreese and Johnny from Karate Kid. His back is to the screen so he can throw fast Karate kicks with his lead leg.

Pro Wrestler:

Definitely went for an 80's style wrestler. Kind of a mix between Hulk and Macho Man and Warrior. The American colors are intentional.

Olympic Wrestler:

This one was the hardest to make because of his awkward pose. I didn't wanna make him too tall, and I may have made him anyway because of how high his butt goes even though he's crouching, but I made a decision to make him "break the rules" so that he wouldn't be too short pixel wise. Had to scrap and start over once because of how tough it was.

Muay Thai:

Couldn't decide at first if to make him with or without accessories. The plain one was TOO plain and the final design just looked so much more complete. I also made his pose a more realistic pose than typical Muay Thai characters.

Finally, I made one more design just to tease Bia with. You know how much she HATES slutty women:

Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:52:48 pm by Caddie

MDD

Re: Original NES style sprites for a new project
#2  June 03, 2011, 01:58:45 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
Make the last style Shotokan.  :llama:
#3  June 03, 2011, 02:03:51 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Because of Sub Zero's fighting style in Deadly Alliance and your Noob Saibot avatar, it made me think of Sub Zero in this style.

"Ninja" would be a bit more appropriate than that, but...at the same time inappropriate because of how hokey and mythical they are. What we're leaning towards now is "Luchador" or "Tai Kwon Do", but they are both pretty similar to what's already there.

Bea

#4  June 03, 2011, 02:50:02 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Aye, aye.
This will be something simple, just for practice for bigger stuff to come.
And also because I feel that there's a lack of 2d one on one arena games.

Edit: Also, I hate that slutty girl there! Hate! Hate! HATE!  >:(
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.

MDD

#5  June 03, 2011, 02:51:17 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
.......what word is in Shotokan? :P

But in seriousness, you should try something like Drunken Fist. It seems interesting.
#6  June 03, 2011, 03:49:13 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Imagine that. Cad spriting a black boxer with blue trunks. This was unforeseen.

Seriously though, not too shabby. Would like to see them animated when the time comes.
#7  June 03, 2011, 03:51:23 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Thanks, I'll post animations in sets when I get to that.

The colors are subject to change! I was trying not to make him TOO much like either Mikey, Bison or Tyson. Might switch him out to red or black or something like that.
#8  June 07, 2011, 02:47:52 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Don't post on this thread again.
#9  June 07, 2011, 02:58:36 am
    • USA
A luchador would fit in perfectly.

try and get that classic luchador vibe by naming him something religious and make his costume either white and gold or white and blue. Make sure he has a kickass mask to hide his identity and no loose clothing whatsoever.

Good luck dude! Im looking forward to this.
#10  June 07, 2011, 06:28:56 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Don't post on this thread again.

I removed the post you were talking to, just wanted to make that clear in case anyone thought you were talking to me now that it's gone. :-X

A luchador would fit in perfectly.

try and get that classic luchador vibe by naming him something religious and make his costume either white and gold or white and blue. Make sure he has a kickass mask to hide his identity and no loose clothing whatsoever.

Good luck dude! Im looking forward to this.

I don't know if the characters will actually have names or not, but ya if Luchador makes it in he'll definitely have a Mil Mascaras or Lizmark style design. (Personally, I would like to make an L.A Park design but I don't think his outfit design is a general representation of Luchadors.)
Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:50:53 am by Caddie
#11  June 08, 2011, 06:28:06 am
    • USA
Learned a lot about the luchador culture from Wikipedia and Deconstructing El Fuerte notes on Capcom Unity. I would highly suggest reading part 2.
part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4
Some kind of gyro spinning, cup stacking robot thing...*shurg*
#12  June 18, 2011, 10:09:23 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org

Don't think I have the shading/light source recognizing ability to complete it, so this is as far as she goes. Here's the progress animation:

#13  June 18, 2011, 02:53:36 pm
    • USA
Thats pretty cool Caddie. Did you learn that from Rolento?
Re: Some kind of gyro spinning, cup stacking robot thing...*shurg*
#14  June 18, 2011, 09:39:15 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
...No. I learned nothing from Rolento. >:(

You might as well have just asked "Oh is this like when you used Iced's drawing style for Ms Paint Mugen?" RAGE

Just kidding, I'm not angry. But no. :P
Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:44:35 pm by Caddie
Kiwi portrait thing
#15  July 12, 2011, 03:01:28 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org

I made this for a friend who wanted me to do something for them to use. I don't actually own the rights to this because I sold them, but she let me post this here. Here are the steps I took making that:

#16  July 12, 2011, 03:04:10 am
    • USA
Photoshop or Illustrator?
#17  July 12, 2011, 03:04:33 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Paintshop pro.
#18  July 12, 2011, 03:10:36 am
    • USA
:mean:...
I think I'll switch to Paintshop Pro. Everyone on this forum makes it look oh so much better.

AS for the kiwi, you have a distinct) and unique art style. Think you could try making more sprites like this in the future?
#19  July 12, 2011, 03:14:09 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
That took me 5 hours and I made some money on it. It'll be unlikely that I'll do that again. I prefer the more simple stuff.
#20  July 12, 2011, 04:26:57 am
  • all is love in fair and war
nice work Caddie,
its very nice watching the evolution steps from sketch to sprites there
on the kiwi, did u use burn/ dodge tool to shade?

Learned a lot about the luchador culture from Wikipedia and Deconstructing El Fuerte notes on Capcom Unity. I would highly suggest reading part 2.

part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4

very interesting reading thanks rynestar